Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:14:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Are the servers as bad as I read about? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are the servers as bad as I read about?  (Read 5800 times)
Wasted
Terracotta Army

on: August 28, 2005, 01:25:11 AM

I think I'm finally going to give WoW a go but the main thing that has got me worried is the things I have read about the server stability and the queueing.  I definately dont like the idea of having to wait in a queue to start playing.

Are the things I have read been over exaggerated, or fixed by now or is this something that most people are used to putting up with by now?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 01:38:21 AM by Wasted »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 01:32:49 AM

I've never had a problem that wasn't widespread. IE: I don't get random crashes often at all. If I crash, it's usually because the entire server did. Also, I've only been in a queue once, and it was 15 spots long.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 01:39:00 AM

how often are those entire server crashes?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 01:42:55 AM

I dunno exactly....once a week maybe? It's usually not for a long period of time...just kind of annoying.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 02:47:27 AM

I play on one of the most populous realms now and we used to get 2-3 crashes a day about a fortnight ago, we also had ques about a month ago. The que... stopped, not sure why, and even at its height it was only 20 mins (remember, this server is worse than most). As for the crashes, they capped the number of instances a person could have an hour and it seems to have fixed the crashing. As of right now there aren't any real server issues I know of (occasional short bursts of lag notwithstanding, but you'd get that on any online game).
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 07:57:42 AM

It's all tied to population.  Too many people on a server, you get instability and the queues are what they implemented to try and fix that.  My server hasn't had any really bad stability problems in a long time, and I haven't had a queue since the first week.  I don't recall ever seeing a downtime message for any of the newer servers, either.

The biggest complaints all came from the folks on the PvP and RP servers everyone and their grandfather from 'official' gathering sites tried to pile on to. (Archimonde and Earthen Ring).  So, given the larger % of board warriors in such a population, there were more whines, making the problem seem bigger.  Right now I think there's only one or two servers that have a real problem, as they're the ones posting most frequently 'omg server down AGAIN.'

Since you're just starinng out it's easy for you to avoid these problem servers and find a nice stable one with a middling population. (Don't go for a 'low' pop, as that's where they transfer folks from "high" pop servers... and since the High pop has a problem, everyone tries to get off, and wind-up fuxoring the low server as well)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 09:29:21 AM

Server stability, crushing lag, and queues were the three non-gameplay frustrations that led me to cancel about 3 months ago.

I've been resubbed for about three weeks and haven't experienced any crashes, crushing lag, or even queues.  So things have improved.  That said, I haven't been around for a patch and that's normally 2-3 days of cock-ups.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 11:28:19 AM

Most servers barf about twice a week. Sometimes it's just a disconnect, reconnect, back to the game. Sometimes it's hours of downtime.

Patches fuck the servers something good. Expect random downtime for at least a half week after every patch.

Expect queues on the weekends on all but the lowest population servers.

Not really horrible, but completely unacceptable in my opinion since Blizzard has more money than god.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 11:31:24 AM

I was playing pretty heavy on one of the more populated PVP servers. We would suffer 1 or maybe 2 real crashes a week. As for the queues, we havent had any for over 4 months.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 01:20:15 PM

Hmm... question:  I get disconnected from the server at least once most days I play (three or four times last friday, which drove me nuts).  On a couple of servers, too, mostly at medium and low pop.  Anyone else getting this, or should I be looking at my service provider?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 04:31:03 PM

For me, WoW has been really really stable for the most part.  Since I usually play around 10pm to 1am PST, the populations are mostly settled down and I don't get primetime lag.  I don't ever randomly disconnect.  I never crashed during raids.  The servers do go a bit wonky during patch time.   I think a whole of one or two times it went wonky enough to have a raid canceled. 

Ohh, and my server Shadowsong as far back as I can remember, has really never had a queue.  I think it did just once, when they released Dire Maul, and it was like a whole 5 players long. 

I think I've likely just been very fortunate with how stable the game's been for me.  I think mostly though not playing much ever during primetime has helped tremendously.

-Rasix
Zane0
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 09:06:19 PM

Eonar hasn't crashed in months.  It's a fairly small realm, relatively, but occasionally some people get disconnected and have trouble logging back on because the server is 'full' (no queue though).  I suppose the realms have varied amounts of server architecture?
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 05:51:31 AM

Whisperwind for a PvE server has been fine.  We had queues about 4 months ago, but nothing since then.  I think the new servers and free transfers have kept this to a minimum for most.

Yes, the Tuesday downtimes happen, but not for very long.  We've gone through patches fine too.  I haven't seen near the problems others have, but I guess I'm either lucky or play casual enough to not notice.

I hardly ever get disconnects.  The last time it happened had to have been months ago and it was one of those disconnect and reconnect deals, so no big deal.  I've had other disconnects, but they were related to my ISP.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 07:49:48 AM

I've played since release and never had a queue, my server bounces between medium and high population.  I've seen two crashes, I think.  It's pretty solid.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 08:04:08 AM

Eonar has been pretty stable. Aside from some odd ball lag in a few zones over the last couple weeks and the instance server crashing issue that hit most of the servers about 3 or 4 weeks ago its been pretty stable. No queues that I have ever seen.

The majority of the issues appears to be amongst a particular set of about 20 servers. I don't know if they are just the highest pop ones but man they appear to be getting their asses kicked.

kaid
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 11:44:34 AM

Bleeding Hollow has been pretty stable for months, it should be one of the highest pop servers, at least it was at launch.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005, 06:08:05 AM

I got a friend on Khadgar so I joined there.  Havent had any disconnects so far and very little lag problems too.  Guess I have to wait a bit longer though to see if I am going to feel like an idiot for giving blizzard my money yet or not.

And like usual server maintenance is in aussie prime time... oh well at least it is only one day a week.
Sogrinaugh
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 07:20:34 AM

My server (magtheridon) must be magical.  I don't think we've ever had ques, and one of the oldest servers (was live at game launch).  Back during the winter (dec/janish) we were high-pop and even then crashes and watnot were uncommon.  About the only time lag or server issues were really unbearable was the first week 2-3 days of game launch during which 2000 people was in tirisfal glades and even killing 1 rattlecage skeleton was an epic feat.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 30, 2005, 06:22:09 PM

Where do you live that it's prime time? I'm in Sydney and from memory (I work late Tuesdays and by the time I'm finished I don't feel like playing) the maintenance kicks in at around 11 pm.
Sogrinaugh
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 30, 2005, 08:30:13 PM

Where do you live that it's prime time? I'm in Sydney and from memory (I work late Tuesdays and by the time I'm finished I don't feel like playing) the maintenance kicks in at around 11 pm.
Fairfax, VA.  Back then they had nightly maintenance, not weekly :)
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 31, 2005, 05:55:15 PM

I just started playing WoW a bit to check it out.  I haven't seen any of the server issues people talk about (playing on Doomhammer and Argent Dawn), though maybe I just lucked out and got on good servers.  I do play during PST hours, if that matters.

From the tech side, WoW's probably the second most stable MMO I've played (City of Heroes being the first).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: September 04, 2005, 11:40:40 AM

Your perception of how bad WOW's server stability has been is usually dependent on how many times you've tried to play the game when it was unavailable. I think I've had about 4 or 5 times where I was either queued up for too long or just plain couldn't get in. And when that happened, it was a widespread problem.

Patch days are particularly harsh. Most days it isn't bad.

Eldron
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 06, 2005, 02:29:54 AM

The european servers have/had some serious stability issues. Well the ones located in Paris did. Realy bad lag spikes for 4 days and impossible to do instances or anything(3500-8000 ms pingtimes). Should be fixed now, but there still is some difference between how the servers in Germany runs compared to the ones in France.

Ohh and we are getting full rested XP tormorrow because of the "problems", which they fixed with a 6 hour server downtime friday evening, just when we had 40 ppl together and allready to go kill Lucifron.

Very fancy signature.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 10, 2005, 07:09:26 PM

I'm in adelaide, downtime starts at 9:30 here so it would be 10 for you.  Maybe I am a bit off but prime time seems to be about 8:00 to 11:00 in my estimations.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #24 on: September 11, 2005, 11:42:51 AM

As much as I hate this game, I will say I never saw the massive server problems people talk about.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Are the servers as bad as I read about?  
Jump to: