Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:54:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  (Read 536701 times)
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1470 on: December 15, 2012, 10:05:39 AM

I put chopped fennel tops into tuna salad. Fennel goes great with fish.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1471 on: December 15, 2012, 06:35:33 PM

Raw Fennel goes good in salads. Also I've had it deliciously when roasted.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #1472 on: December 16, 2012, 11:03:36 PM

Yes, I've been writing a book. I mean, I wrote a whole book! Almost 80K words of book! Breakfast: A History will be published this spring by AltaMira Press (a division of Rowman and Littlefield). I'm breathing again, playing Paper Mario Sticker Star and thinking about reviving the blog. It's nice to be missed.  Heart

How does one procure a signed hardback copy of said book?  Collecting these (especially about food) is a small hobby of mine.

Wish I still had my damn Colicchio book (saw him at a cooking school down here, he was fantastic).  That guy can really cook/recipe create.

When it's on Amazon I'll post. You can also find me on FB by looking for the waffle on the f13 page.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1473 on: December 17, 2012, 07:37:02 AM

I'm all about the maple sugar. I also live in a heavily maple forested area, so I can buy it from the local FFA group and help out the kids. Also the only way to get sane prices on maple syrup.

And definitely post when you're going to publication! We'll grab one for the library, and maybe a couple extra. I'll want one and we might be able to get another if I get approval for a signed copy (if you'd do that) for a contest reward. Though our signed book raffles have been way down lately :( Not sure what we're doing next year.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:39:11 AM by Sky »
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #1474 on: December 17, 2012, 03:31:08 PM

I'm all about the maple sugar. I also live in a heavily maple forested area, so I can buy it from the local FFA group and help out the kids. Also the only way to get sane prices on maple syrup.

And definitely post when you're going to publication! We'll grab one for the library, and maybe a couple extra. I'll want one and we might be able to get another if I get approval for a signed copy (if you'd do that) for a contest reward. Though our signed book raffles have been way down lately :( Not sure what we're doing next year.

I would totally do that! I'm donating a signed copy to the Multnomah County Library, too. They ILL'd my ass out of a corner numerous times.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1475 on: December 18, 2012, 06:41:32 AM

Go you!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1476 on: December 19, 2012, 11:13:19 AM

Yes, I've been writing a book. I mean, I wrote a whole book! Almost 80K words of book! Breakfast: A History will be published this spring by AltaMira Press (a division of Rowman and Littlefield). I'm breathing again, playing Paper Mario Sticker Star and thinking about reviving the blog. It's nice to be missed.  Heart

How does one procure a signed hardback copy of said book?  Collecting these (especially about food) is a small hobby of mine.

Wish I still had my damn Colicchio book (saw him at a cooking school down here, he was fantastic).  That guy can really cook/recipe create.

When it's on Amazon I'll post. You can also find me on FB by looking for the waffle on the f13 page.

Please do!  I work at Allrecipes.com and would love to buy a copy for our wall of books!  Sounds awesome. ;)
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1477 on: December 26, 2012, 08:33:26 AM

I mentioned this in the xmas thread, but wanted to cross-post it over here for posterity or whatnot.

I just made the best prime rib I've ever had. Started with a healthy 5-ribber.

Put the roasting pan on the stovetop, two burners or central burner if you have one (the long strip kind). Let the pan get hot and then brown the roast on all but the bone side.

Put the roast on a rack in the pan, pop into a 250º oven.

When the internal temp hits 120º, I dropped my oven into 'Warm' mode. This runs at 170º, closest I can get to a commercial oven's 140º. Let the roast come up to 130º, then remove from the oven and cover with foil and rest for a half hour.

Amazing results.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1478 on: December 26, 2012, 11:46:45 AM

Got two pressure cookers.  One electric and one "normal".  Before I return one, anyone care to give some pro/con points?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1479 on: December 26, 2012, 04:29:51 PM

Which models/brands did you get? Do you have a gas or electric stove?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1480 on: December 26, 2012, 08:06:12 PM

Raw Fennel goes good in salads. Also I've had it deliciously when roasted.

ACK!

I hate fennel.  I'd rather eat cat turds. 
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1481 on: December 27, 2012, 07:19:52 AM

Electric cooker is Cuisinart.  My other Cuisinart products are fantastic.  Regular is Presto.  Stove is electric, glass top.  I'm some time away from being able to get a gas one.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1482 on: December 27, 2012, 11:00:57 AM

Electric cooker is Cuisinart.  My other Cuisinart products are fantastic.  Regular is Presto.  Stove is electric, glass top.  I'm some time away from being able to get a gas one.
I'd stick with the Cuisinart if you have counter/table top space for it. Controlling the pressure on an electric coil range is a bit fiddle cause the coils don't change temperature immediately like with a gas range. Glass and ceramic tops can be even worse (some retain heat long after they are turned off). One trick with an electric range is to have 2 coils/pad going, one to bring it up to pressure and then switching it over to the second one to maintain the pressure.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1483 on: December 27, 2012, 11:18:07 AM

Electric it is. awesome, for real

I was already leaning that way.  I had originally requested a standard one since I could use it after the world ends, but everyone keeps telling me that society won't crumble and now I have the electric.  What you say about the solid electric cooktop is all too real.  If the tankless water heater adventure doesn't come to pass, I think I'll look at converting to a LP stove.  It's almost too bad that it works flawlessly even after ten years.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1484 on: December 27, 2012, 02:24:04 PM

So I got a copy of Modernist Cuisine at Home for Christmas.  Can't wait to start dinking around with some of the stuff in there.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1485 on: December 31, 2012, 03:29:23 PM

Testing out my new pressure cooker tonight.   awesome, for real  My first meal will be braised pork tenderloin. 

Also, this woman is my hero.  If you want a great recipe, this is the place to go. 
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1486 on: January 01, 2013, 07:10:06 PM

Testing out my new pressure cooker tonight.   awesome, for real  My first meal will be braised pork tenderloin. 

Also, this woman is my hero.  If you want a great recipe, this is the place to go. 

I'm not a huge fan of her Food Network stuff, actually - it's like the unholy union of Rachael Ray and Paula Deen.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #1487 on: January 04, 2013, 10:13:07 AM

ACK! Oh no! I wish I'd seen this sooner. A pressure cooker will destroy a tenderloin - save it for tougher cuts like pork shoulder (butt) and chuck roasts. I hope it turned out okay, regardless, but all a tenderloin needs is a sear in a pan and 15 minutes in a hot oven.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #1488 on: January 04, 2013, 10:14:00 AM

So I got a copy of Modernist Cuisine at Home for Christmas.  Can't wait to start dinking around with some of the stuff in there.

That was on my wish list! I got the Buchon Bakery cookbook instead. Here's to a fat-assed 2013! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1489 on: January 04, 2013, 01:16:45 PM

I'm not a huge fan of her Food Network stuff, actually - it's like the unholy union of Rachael Ray and Paula Deen.

I haven't tried any of her recipes but they look far more appealing to me than Ray's or Deen's. (I'm more of a fan of Ina Garten).
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1490 on: January 04, 2013, 02:23:42 PM

I like Alton.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1491 on: January 04, 2013, 03:18:10 PM

I like Cooks Illustrated, specifically how they tend to give you enough methodology behind the recipe to wing it in a variety of ways.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1492 on: January 04, 2013, 03:41:01 PM

I like borrowed cookbooks.  You know, the ones where you don't have to eat mac and cheese for a month to afford.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1493 on: January 04, 2013, 05:23:16 PM

My Goodwill near my office always had good books, especially cookbooks that people donate. I can get those for $2.50, some of which are out of print.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1494 on: January 04, 2013, 06:18:10 PM

I had some nice cookbooks but they're gone now.  Luckily, my sister has a slew of really fab cookbooks...  lots of Indian, veggie, Italian.  We have my mom's cookbooks and some of her recipes.  Having said that, cookbooks for $2.50 sounds awesome.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1495 on: January 04, 2013, 06:43:15 PM

If you want people to buy you cookbooks, cook for them.  It's always worked for me.   

I try not to think about whether they're buying me cookbooks to encourage me to cook MORE or cook BETTER.  awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1496 on: January 07, 2013, 08:30:29 AM

I have enough books now.  Practical experience is needed, which will help me sort out which books are stacks of shit (some are).

First whack at using the electric pressure cooker was edible: chicken and black beans.  Reading comprehension was the issue.  The recipe book is not very hand-holdy so I'm going to have to destroy some meals before I get a good handle on using it.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1497 on: January 10, 2013, 11:08:43 AM

So exciting!

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1498 on: January 10, 2013, 11:46:07 AM

So cool, can't wait to read it!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1499 on: January 10, 2013, 12:45:04 PM

Who's Heather Arndt-Anderson?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1500 on: January 10, 2013, 12:50:48 PM

She must be the person who kidnapped VL to write that book for her.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #1501 on: January 11, 2013, 09:39:23 AM

I can't believe you posted it! Thank you, Siggy Stardust.  Heart awesome, for real

Here's the preorder page. It's a tad steep, but considering this is a textbook publisher, I suppose I got off easy.  swamp poop

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1502 on: January 11, 2013, 01:21:21 PM

Congrats VDL, well done. I hope its a success for you.

I'll be sure to add it to my F13 bookshelf section. (It currently only contains Lum's Dummy book.)

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1503 on: January 11, 2013, 01:46:23 PM

Grats Voo.  Although it needs more bacon on the cover1
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #1504 on: January 11, 2013, 01:52:03 PM

Congrats VDL, well done. I hope its a success for you.

I'll be sure to add it to my F13 bookshelf section. (It currently only contains Lum's Dummy book.)

Didn't Haemish write something? I vaguely recall he did some sort of Cyberpunkish story. Was it ever published?

Wasn't there also a Radicalthon that was made into a book. Yeah, just found it, it  was WindupAtheist's "The Diary of Nythrax".

You missed some good books it seems.

Also, congratulations VoodooLily. It is a rare treat to be published and have an audience for what you have written. :)

Edited: Added congrats.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  
Jump to: