Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:28:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2250504 times)
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2240 on: January 02, 2010, 02:11:19 PM

after trying out the Suikoden 4 disc and finding out the disc is bad and I must take it back to Blockbuster.

This is honestly for the best.  That is by far the worst game in the franchise, and abysmally bad in general.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2241 on: January 02, 2010, 02:14:13 PM

Oh man Suikoden past 2 is just bad. The whole series at this point really.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2242 on: January 02, 2010, 03:41:29 PM

Started on Xenosaga last night, after trying out the Suikoden 4 disc and finding out the disc is bad and I must take it back to Blockbuster. Xenosaga I'm not sure about - the way combat is done seems to rip me right out of the game itself. But it was interesting enough that I will probably continue it, if for no other reason than to find out if I really like or hate JRPG's.

Not sure that's the best game to find that out with.  Heh.

Still playing some Uncharted 2.  Perfect cinematic action game.  Better than the original in ever way possible.  Seems short though, but I may have a ways to go.  Who knows.

I have about a month to finish 1-2 ME playthroughs on the PC.  I better get cracking on that.

-Rasix
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #2243 on: January 02, 2010, 04:17:17 PM

Still playing some Uncharted 2.  Perfect cinematic action game.  Better than the original in ever way possible.  Seems short though, but I may have a ways to go.  Who knows.

There is one gripe I have about Uncharted 2 over the original. Despite the inaccurate controls in the first game, I still felt more in control of Drake while he was scaling walls, or hopping from one ledge to another, even if I would accidentally end up dying due to a mis-jump. In 2, while on a wall, I can just point the stick in every direction while hitting jump until I find the direction that works, there is no punishment for jumping in the wrong direction. This sorta left me feeling like i was just pushing buttons to continue one long scripted jump sequence (which I guess I was) instead of actually controlling Drake.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2244 on: January 02, 2010, 04:32:46 PM

Animal Crossing: City Folk.  I have figured out how to grow trees, planted some coconuts, and have recently acquired one foreign fruit.  The "multiplayer" on this is ... unfathomably bad.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2245 on: January 02, 2010, 06:43:51 PM

Started on Xenosaga last night, after trying out the Suikoden 4 disc and finding out the disc is bad and I must take it back to Blockbuster. Xenosaga I'm not sure about - the way combat is done seems to rip me right out of the game itself. But it was interesting enough that I will probably continue it, if for no other reason than to find out if I really like or hate JRPG's.

Suikoden 3 is supposed to be better, AFAIK.

Also, Suikoden 4 is somewhat related to Suikoden Tactics, which actually was not abysmal.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #2246 on: January 02, 2010, 06:53:07 PM

Suikoden 2 -> Suikoden 1 -> Everything Else.

Everything after 2 is pretty much trash.

Tactics wasn't abysmal, but it was not good.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2247 on: January 02, 2010, 10:26:56 PM

Suikoden 3 is one of my all time favorite jrpgs.  I liked the way the story played out, and I liked the game mechanics more than the stock ones used in Suikoden 1 and 2.  I'm in the minority in my opinion of that game though, and I know it.  But for gods sake, do not look back on Suikoden 4 as your basis on anything.  Xenosaga is also a crapshoot for things that should and should not be done in rpgs.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2248 on: January 02, 2010, 11:40:27 PM

Switched to some racing with NFS:Shift over the holidays.

This game should never of shipped with this kinda loading times, it's worse then PS2 loading GT3/GT4.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2249 on: January 03, 2010, 12:16:55 AM

Fired up Majesty 2 and couldn't tear myself away from it for several hours.  It is really satisfying watching dudes run around and level themselves up without me having to steer them around constantly.  Like Progress Quest but with graphics.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2250 on: January 03, 2010, 12:56:45 AM

I'm drifting through my Holiday sales as they get downloaded. At present, I'm playing A Farewell to Dragons. The GUI needs much work, the graphics are poor, and I already found errors in the spelling after 15 minutes playtime. But I enjoy the setting.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2251 on: January 03, 2010, 09:33:42 PM

Turns out the Suikoden 4 disc was fucked up, so I had to return it. They didn't have another copy of it, and what they did have in the preowned games for the PS2 was pretty sparse. I picked up Unlimited Saga - figured I'd trade one JRPG for another. It's a Square Enix thing, so maybe it'll be a good example of a JRPG. Any thoughts? And if it sucks, I figure I can get a few bucks in trade for it once I get my Christmas Gamestop giftcard in the mail.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2252 on: January 03, 2010, 10:42:20 PM

You managed to go from one really bad jrpg to one of the worst.  Even I won't touch that one, and I like the romancing saga series and am willing to put up with a lot of wonky crap.

Finished up Brutal Legend and Dragon Age over the holiday.  Brutal Legend actually surprised me at how abruptly it ended.  I knew it was short, but I wasn't expect it to end when it did storywise.  Really felt like they'd meant to put in another area.

Nearly done with Valkyria Chronicles finally.  Only have 4 more chapters to go.  I actually got surprised by a few of the story turns.
Nearly done with the campaign for Majesty 2, but the missions where you have to kill the paladins on one side and the archers on the other is kicking my ass repeatedly.  I keep thinking I'm doing okay, and then an hour later the game makes me cry.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:47:26 PM by Ard »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2253 on: January 03, 2010, 10:58:22 PM

Turns out the Suikoden 4 disc was fucked up, so I had to return it. They didn't have another copy of it, and what they did have in the preowned games for the PS2 was pretty sparse. I picked up Unlimited Saga - figured I'd trade one JRPG for another. It's a Square Enix thing, so maybe it'll be a good example of a JRPG. Any thoughts? And if it sucks, I figure I can get a few bucks in trade for it once I get my Christmas Gamestop giftcard in the mail.

Wait.. Are you saying you're only now just experiencing with JRPG's? A good example, eh?

Just get Chrono Trigger and be done with it.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2254 on: January 03, 2010, 11:06:25 PM

IIRC Unlimited Saga was quite awful.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2255 on: January 04, 2010, 08:11:52 AM

We discussed it briefly in some other thread (which I cannot be bothered to find), but I received the God of War Collector's edition for Christmas and have been playing through the first one quite a bit.  For the 2% of you who, like me, had never played GoW before, rest assured that it is awesome.  I don't generally go for these action-y hack-n-slash titles, but this is a clear exception.  Outstanding game, and with the upgrade to HD graphics it holds up well enough.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2256 on: January 04, 2010, 10:12:06 AM

Wait.. Are you saying you're only now just experiencing with JRPG's? A good example, eh?

The last JRPG I did was Final Fantasy 2 on the SNES (and later on an emu). I loved it, but not sure if I would like that type of game after the years of enhancements to the RPG. But it was essentially a free game, and they didn't have much else available.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2257 on: January 04, 2010, 10:24:32 AM

The last JRPG I did was Final Fantasy 2 on the SNES (and later on an emu). I loved it, but not sure if I would like that type of game after the years of enhancements to the RPG. But it was essentially a free game, and they didn't have much else available.

Shit, you nearly peaked, although you might want a recent version of FFIV that is not the dummied-up-for-whitey US-SNES version.  Now play FFVI and ChronoTrigger and you'll be done with JRPGs.  Although I do like FFXII a great deal, but that one is apparently controversial.  There is also Shadow Hearts 1+2 and select Shin Megami Tensei titles, for something less adolescent.  Even Rasix likes Shadow Hearts.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2258 on: January 04, 2010, 10:27:49 AM

Hmm, well by enhancements, if you just mean like in graphics or something.. But something that is a still typical JRPG, then Dragon Quest 8. It doesn't get any more standard than that.. Pretty old school. If you mean enhancements in a bigger way, FF12.. Which should be easier to find than anything. I don't really dig the combat myself, but it is different.

Some games go off the beaten path, but still maintain the core feel of a JRPG, like the Shin Megami series. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here suggesting Persona.. Seems like it keeps getting brought up.

[edit] Well, basically what Yeg already said.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:29:59 AM by stray »
Rasix

Reply #2259 on: January 04, 2010, 11:54:50 AM

Even Rasix likes Shadow Hearts.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Yeg does make good recommendations even if he's taunting me in a way I don't fully understand.

Avoid:
Anything on the 360.
Anything on the PS3 (Valk isn't a JRPG).
Shadow Hearts 3.
Chrono Cross (There's a French clown if you need something to scare you away).
FF8, 9.

There's also the Persona games, but they're very, very Japanese. Also odd to the point of almost being their own category. 

-Rasix
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2260 on: January 04, 2010, 12:32:09 PM

Also, and I hate to give a "pedestrian" recommendation, but it wouldn't hurt checking out FF10 too. It's fairly standard. Knowing you, you'll probably want to kill Titus, but I think Auron and Lulu might prevent it. I, for one, think it's one of the best FF games.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2261 on: January 04, 2010, 12:34:48 PM

Also, and I hate to give a "pedestrian" recommendation, but it wouldn't hurt checking out FF10 too. It's fairly standard. Knowing you, you'll probably want to kill Titus, but I think Auron and Lulu might prevent it. I, for one, think it's one of the best FF games.

The plot is so laughably awful that I can't think of words to describe it. If story is your thing at all, STAY AWAY.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2262 on: January 04, 2010, 12:37:03 PM

The more I think about it, I hold it's the perfect game to make or break him on JRPG's.  awesome, for real

[edit] Argh.. Not really. There is variety.. They are not all the same, but damnit if that isn't a example of a JRPG, then what is..
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2263 on: January 04, 2010, 01:20:08 PM

Ok, so I have a $25 Gamestop gift card coming to me, and they have both Persona 3 and Persona 4 (as well as FFX or FFXII) for cheap enough. Recommendations?

schild
Administrator

Reply #2264 on: January 04, 2010, 01:33:25 PM

The idea of you playing a JRPG fucks with my psyche too much for me to be able to make a sound recommendation.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2265 on: January 04, 2010, 01:34:13 PM

Nice.. They're not easy to find anymore. Hmm..  Just get 4. It's overall more refined game, has even more quirky features (like the importance of weather), has a cool detective story thing going on, better chicks heh.. umm, it's longer (granted, it probably starts off a bit slow too), and it's harder imo. It's not a direct storyline sequel, so you won't be clueless or anything.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2266 on: January 04, 2010, 01:36:01 PM

Fah. I say Shadow Hearts 2. I made those jokers buy it anyway.

Otherwise: http://wiki.f13.net/index.php/Recommendations:_PS2

Edit: If you see one of the boxes in a store and the cover is too anime for you, then skip it. You'll just bitch and moan anyway. I'd rather not endorse that being the result.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2267 on: January 04, 2010, 01:52:07 PM

you'll probably want to kill Titus,

Tidus.  You know, like tide, as in water.

FFX is no good.  Look, Haem, I'm trying to help here.  You won't be able to take the weeaboo in a modern FF game.  You might not even like Persona 4 due to a Scrappy-Doo element, so I'm going to again suggest the first and second Shadow Hearts.  Roger Bacon!  If you can't find that, maybe the Digital Devil Saga duo if you like combat... a lot.

Rasix

Reply #2268 on: January 04, 2010, 01:55:45 PM

Ok, so I have a $25 Gamestop gift card coming to me, and they have both Persona 3 and Persona 4 (as well as FFX or FFXII) for cheap enough. Recommendations?

Persona 4 has a fully controllable party and more fleshed out mechanics (relationships, stat building, items, optional bosses etc).  More interesting stuff to do.

Persona 3 has a more engaging story, better voice acting and honestly a better plot.  

4 is a better game but I thought 3 is a better narrative.  4 might be easier to play for you.  Use this information and make your own decision, but just remember they are about as Japanese as it gets.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant is still the best JPRG you'll ever play.  How can you go wrong when a main character is a gay, professional wrestling vampire who uses giant poles as weapons? Game gets a bit  ACK! and  this guy looks legit in spots, but that's just part of the charm.  Yuri is also one of the biggest badasses to ever grace gaming.   Shadow Hearts 1 is great also, but it looks a bit dated and the game play is nowhere near as polished as its sequel.  Also, it takes a bit of work to get the good ending (which 2 promptly ignores).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:57:24 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2269 on: January 04, 2010, 02:11:26 PM

I forgot that I tried Baroque for the Wii not long ago - that was my last JRPG experience. Holy fuck did that game suck in that "What the fuck am I supposed to be doing in this game?" way. Although, I'm not sure that counts as a JRPG.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2270 on: January 04, 2010, 02:14:30 PM

Persona only gets really weird Japanese-y if you like working in hospitals. :P

Otherwise, it's normal, I tell you! Not too weird. Or maybe I'm just too close for comfort. There are weirder games out there I won't touch, I know that.
Rasix

Reply #2271 on: January 04, 2010, 02:24:15 PM

I forgot that I tried Baroque for the Wii not long ago - that was my last JRPG experience. Holy fuck did that game suck in that "What the fuck am I supposed to be doing in this game?" way. Although, I'm not sure that counts as a JRPG.

Baroque is more like a graphical nethack combined with a lot of weirdness.  Not a JRPG at all.

I think Tales of Symphonia is the only available Wii JRPG.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:28:06 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #2272 on: January 04, 2010, 02:31:46 PM

There's like 12 regular RPGs for the Wii, Tales not being one of them since it's an action RPG. awesome, for real
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2273 on: January 04, 2010, 02:37:51 PM

Rune Factory is one of the games I wish I still had a Wii for. [edit] Maybe not an RPG either though.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2274 on: January 04, 2010, 05:40:02 PM

Baroque and Rune Factory are not JRPGs.  That said, Baroque is cool if you get into it.

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: