Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 03:12:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Attunements removed for SSC/TK 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Attunements removed for SSC/TK  (Read 19348 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

on: June 19, 2007, 11:57:02 AM

Discuss.

Fast decision (they JUST added scrolls to attune people from Vashj/Kaelthas) prompted by crossreferencing overall raid progression with what has to be a firmer and firmer internal expansion release date is my bet.

It's long been my contention that the Blizz design team doesn't want to bring casuals to raiding but raiding to casuals. They fucked it up massively in TBC and this is their attempt to rectify it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 01:35:10 PM by Modern Angel »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 01:05:53 PM

Holy crap.. That's huge.

If their intent is to bring raiding to casuals, however, they need to remove some of the random shitty shit shit I've been reading about.  Already I hear bitching enough about the infernals on Prince in Kara, and that's just an exercise in relocating if you're not a group of dumbasses. (Unlike the group I ran with last night.. "wahh it keeps dropping them on us")

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 01:34:42 PM

It's SERIOUSLY not hard to do the Prince. There's some luck where sometimes you just get boxed in and can't do anything. That sucks. But eight times out of ten it's just a gear check for the tank and a retard check for everyone else.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 01:48:00 PM

What was bad about the attunement procedure for them?

I have not kept abreast of the whole keys etc crap since I quit before the expansion.

I always thought keying/attunement was dumb, especially after I had to live through the horde Onyxia chain before they nerfed LBRS and made the docs easier to get. For being such a god awful instance, AQ had the attunment part right imo. Big rush for everyone on the realm to open the place then anyone can enter that meets the level requirements.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 02:30:43 PM

TK?  That's Tempest Keep?  I wasn't aware that there was an attunement quest for that, aside from just being able to get there.  Or did they remove the attunement prereqs from EVERY instance in Tempest Keep?  'Cause I'm still struggling getting keyed for Arcatraz...
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 02:43:49 PM

It's SERIOUSLY not hard to do the Prince. There's some luck where sometimes you just get boxed in and can't do anything. That sucks. But eight times out of ten it's just a gear check for the tank and a retard check for everyone else.

I know.. that's why I was so  rolleyes last night.  5 attempts until we got "lucky" and none of them spawned on top of the group. At least I got a new bow out of the deal.

Ed: And now I just got into an argument about it.  "IT's all luck! There's no skill it's just a tank and spank fight..we shouldn't have to move1!" "Dude, moving as a group is a skill." "No, and what are we supposd to do if 4 infernals spawn in the middle? Then one is on top of us. "

Yarg.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 04:24:23 PM by Merusk »

Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 02:44:41 PM

TK stands for Tempest Keep, yep, but they're actually referring to The Eye or some such, were Kael hangs out and kicks puppies or whatever.

It's a cool thing to do, but it won't be affecting me for awhile.  I'm still working on getting all the factions set up for Heroic dungeon runs after getting my first character to 70.  Mainly just so I can run instances with guild members instead of random people. 
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 03:39:49 PM

What was bad about the attunement procedure for them?

I have not kept abreast of the whole keys etc crap since I quit before the expansion.

I always thought keying/attunement was dumb, especially after I had to live through the horde Onyxia chain before they nerfed LBRS and made the docs easier to get. For being such a god awful instance, AQ had the attunment part right imo. Big rush for everyone on the realm to open the place then anyone can enter that meets the level requirements.

To get attuned for SSC you had to kill Nightbane (which required two Heroic runs to be able to do) and a Gruul kill. The quest came from Heroic Slave Pens

To get attuned for TK... ho boy. Heroics of every faction including a brutal timed Shatterd Halls Heroic and THEN you had to kill Magtheridon.

The basic complaint wasn't so much that all of this was too hard but that it destroyed all but the most homogenous guilds. Suddenly a person like my wife had no chance to get keyed since just getting Revered with even a couple factions for the Heroic keys was arduous for someone with limited playtime. It was the ultimate in the time>skill paradigm.

Now, in reading and hearing some interviews with Tigole recently it's become apparent that he's one of the guys who was most unhappy with how it all turned out. I know he gets a bad rap but I really do think he wants to bring raiding to the casuals. The top flight stuff, Hyjal and BT, will still be there for the catasses but this reinstates the casual raid game of vanilla WoW with the more solid 2.0 mechanics.

Disregarding whether one likes raids or not it's an objectively good decision for the type of game WoW's evolved to be.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 03:48:26 PM

Karazhan was a fantastic start (doable by casuals if you keep pounding at it and fix some buggy/luck-based bosses, great loot, cool content), but I don't know if I want to really try the other raids. Gruul and especially Magtheridon require stupid amounts of coordination that you just can't get an average casual guild to give a shit about.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 08:24:41 PM

Karazhan was a fantastic start (doable by casuals if you keep pounding at it and fix some buggy/luck-based bosses, great loot, cool content), but I don't know if I want to really try the other raids. Gruul and especially Magtheridon require stupid amounts of coordination that you just can't get an average casual guild to give a shit about.

I like the attunement change, because personally I can't stand the way Karazhan was designed. "Casuals" can't put in the time needed to learn that place top to bottom because it's such a timesink for a small group of people to complete.

Karazhan has moments of brilliance wrapped around a horribly flawed middle. For all the rest of the time you are going to raid in TBC you need 25 people, but for the beginning you have to seperate out into groups of 10, all who won't be doing things at the same pace, and it will vary heavily on who has the most time to dump into an extremely long and at times very frustrating place. There should never be a raid where a small group of people have to face 10 bosses and a metric fuckton of respawning trash in the middle if you fail. Sure, that's fine if it was a faster option than heroics in getting to the 25 man level, but you simply can't skip it and hope to make up your gear in 5 mans so you can move along.

Compare this to Gruul's Lair. In Gruul's we had Mulgar down with 25 people, half of which hadn't even seen Karazhan yet, and we did it by working on it 2 hours a week. Gruul, we got down this week after about 6 weeks of the same treatment. It's your classic 25 man raiding style like Onyxia, and it's got the same amount of T4 in it.

Believe me, I'm not hating on the boss fights in Karazhan, or the skill involved in getting them down, or anything like that. I'm hating on the fact that there are certain ridiculous time sinks into the place even if you have it on farm. You're not doing it in one night unless you are just hunting down the top tier shit and going for long hours. You're not going to get the Aran fight down without having to slog through respawns making you want to pull your hair out. It's just not very forgiving to your time, and that's what keeps the casuals involved.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 08:56:12 PM

It still amazes me that you shitheads play this game.  Kinda funny, actually.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 09:05:59 PM

EQ2 is better? I'm done with both.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 12:32:20 AM

It still amazes me that you shitheads play this game.  Kinda funny, actually.

Coming from the guy with multiple stints in Lineage 2.  I need a Voltron sized eye-roll smiley for this.

Canceled WoW last week.  Likely going to cancel EQ2 before the free month is up.  Feh, burnt out.

-Rasix
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 01:01:28 AM

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 01:11:05 AM

~cough~ DATH'REMAR ~cough~

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 03:48:01 AM

Personally I think we should all hold out for a game where you can physically shock your partymates at the touch of a button.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 04:13:55 AM

Personally I think we should all hold out for a game where you can physically shock your partymates at the touch of a button.

lol, Immersion Corp won't licence it out.

You know, instead of making these huge changes to allow casuals more access to all this content you created, maybe you should fucking fire the guy who keeps bringing all this elitism bullshit into play.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 05:58:21 AM

~cough~ TIGOLE ~cough~

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 06:26:55 AM

The basic complaint wasn't so much that all of this was too hard but that it destroyed all but the most homogenous guilds. Suddenly a person like my wife had no chance to get keyed since just getting Revered with even a couple factions for the Heroic keys was arduous for someone with limited playtime. It was the ultimate in the time>skill paradigm.

This is exactly why flagging for access to content should always be combined with some sort of sidekicking system for people to fill out groups and allow guilds to play together.

It astounds me that developers continue to fail to understand this.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Drubear
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 07:24:52 AM

This is exactly why flagging for access to content should always be combined with some sort of sidekicking system for people to fill out groups and allow guilds to play together.

It astounds me that developers continue to fail to understand this.
Didn't SOE allow that sort of think in some of the EQ/PoP raids? You only had to have a certain number of people flagged for the zone to get in?

Hehehe, for that matter, don't I recall you needing a Wizard with the appropriate teleports to get to Plane of Air? But other than level limits (52? why do I remember these things???) that was all you needed to get in, ya?
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 07:27:43 AM

But eight times out of ten it's just a gear check for the tank and a retard check for everyone else.

The thing is, that's what attunements are all about. Gear and retard checks to save yourself the repair bill. If you have a problem with the attunement requirements for a place, I'm not even sure what you should be doing there at all. People complain about having to do Heroic SH for the Nightbane urn (and I'm still the only person in my guild with it) and... I dunno. I wouldn't imagine that Heroic SH would be difficult if you a) had the appropriate gear for TK and b) the appropriate brain for TK.

I can understand the frustration of getting Revered with a place, but really, how else are you going to get gear to move to the T4 stuff? Unless you have the best luck in the world or an instance drops absolutely nothing for you in the first place... you're not going to need more then a few runs to hit Revered.

With something past that, sure, make it easier to get in to. Removing attunements from T5 makes sense in the same way that lowering the prince on Season 1 arena gear does. It's been mudflated to obsolescence.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 07:37:09 AM

Yeah, get rid of those Elitist Jerks....

undecided

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 07:41:00 AM

The problem is smaller guilds.  You need to run 25+ people in 9 classes through heroics and normal instances enough to get them attuned.   That's a lot of burnt-out tanks and healers.. never mind those of us who have tanks whose schedule is such that they can only login rarely other than raid times (which is why that IS the raid time), so that's when we attuned/ keyed them in the first place.

It's a bullshit cock block for no good reason.  "Saving you the repair bills" is such a cop out I can't even fathom where you came up with it.   Kara is doable in quest blues and greens as most classes.  Gearing up in Kara is also pitifully easy once you get the hang of the fights.  Then, once you're there and you've got the fights down.. whee more faction grinding for those who weren't revered somewhere yet. Blah.

And before you say it,  "grow your guild" is another buillshit answer.  So we should invite hordes of WoW Gen-Disc members to come post their drivel on F13 because the post counts are light in the middle of the week?   Your guild should go around IF and just randomly invite masses of people?   No, small is good, but cockblocks for the small isn't.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 08:34:20 AM

I thought that the problem was that the tank/healer/dps composition of a 25-person raid isn't the same as adding together 5 separate groups, each with a tank, a healer, and then DPS in it (a lot fewer tanks required in the 25-person, different types of healers (less priests, for example, more druids/pallies), and so on).  So, technically, the heroics aren't really the path to the final raid size, but rather a diversion.  Yet the rep and gear grind suggests that that is the progression, even though the final class composition doesn't match.

It's like, build your guild to do heroics in 5 parallel teams, then /gremove some people and add others, hopefully already-geared, to have an optimal 25-man raid.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 08:42:00 AM

What it really sounds like to me (as an outsider who was once all too involved in this kind of crap with WoW) is the same thing that happened with Z'G and the 20 man AQ to an extent. They lowered the number of people you need to make things "easier for small guilds" but made the content so cockblocked with factions to get stuff and the fights so complex and gear dependant that only people who were in the "raiding" guilds had any chance of fun/success in there.

It is obvious Blizzard has a disconnect somewhere in their design team that allows them to continually make the same mistakes in slightly different ways.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 08:43:01 AM

Kara is doable in level 70 blues and a few quest greens, yes. (Then again, you don't need any Heroics to get in to Kara.) If you're able to get past Attunmen, then yeah, your gear is okay until Curator, and then he's another checkpoint. The thing is, the people that are going in there pitifully undergeared simply aren't getting gear from Kara. There's a metric ton of bracers, boots, and gloves off the first few bosses, outside of that, that's the majority of their drop table. When you get in Kara and you're only downing the first handful of bosses you aren't getting upgrades to your big budget pieces.

Lastly, I'm in a small guild. We run one team and rotate maybe 2-3 people in depending on the night/bosses. Small is good, I'm a very firm believer of that.

It isn't a cock block simply because it really shouldn't be an issue if you're to have any success in the place. (People who complained about needing Arc for their Kara key really have no business in Kara for example.) A timed Heroic Shattered Halls is a retard check. It's a check that isolates your raid in groups of five to see if you're actually worth a damn or if you're just going to be dead weight come raid time.

I agree with the issue of disproportionate strain on your top tanks and healers (then again, when isn't there?), but they aren't asking for Underbog that requires some specialized CC. No, the TK attunements are all tank-and-spank instances with humanoids or no CC at all for the most part (Arc/BM). I don't even know why people had an issue with the SSC attunement, Nightbane and Gruul, bosses you should be able to kill before going there in the first place!

Ugh. It's probably elitism talking... but I've seen or had friends tell me about their guild that simply can't do this or that boss. I'll ask them for an Armory link of whatever we think might be the problem. Eight times out of ten... I wonder how that person is able to walk upright much less tank/heal/DPS effectively.

Retard checks, fine, call them fucking cock blocks if you want, would save a lot of headaches in my eyes.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 08:52:07 AM

Yep, I agree with Caladein.  9 times out of 10, removing the "attunement" cockblocks from places like SSC / The Eye is not going to magically open up new raid content to the casuals. If your typical group of "casual" raiders was unable to progress (at whatever pace) through the heroics / raids required to attune themselves to a given higher difficulty raid instance, the simple act of granting instant access to SSC is not going to suddenly result in dozens of new guilds per server suddenly killing Lady V or Kael.

Instead, its going to result in loads of people screaming bloody murder when they zone in, die repeatedly to trash, and wipe on every single boss they can possibly reach in the instance (likely only 1) simply because they dont have the gear / skill that would have come with actually progressing through said attunement cockblocks.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 09:06:12 AM

But it's not about 25 short bus specials heading into SSC and getting smeared. It's about that 5-10 out of every raid team who simply don't have the time to do the Revered with everyone bullshit. You can get geared in Karazhan so gearing in five mans is NOT the issue post KZ nerf. You can get equipped with most of the skills you need in the new raiding paradigm there as well. So we've eliminated gear and skill from the equation... what's the point of keying cockblocks again?

The only thing I'll agree with there is that people need to kill Gruul before heading in there. Absolutely, one hundred percent.

Re: backflagging. They added it in 2.1. Vashj and Kael thas dropped a certain number of scrolls which you could use on someone to attune them to either SSC or TK respectively. That's what leads me to believe this was a very fast decision. From backflagging to no flagging in... a month and a half?
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 09:17:32 AM

WoW already caters to several different kinds of retards (those who want to gank and those who want to be ganked). Opening a server for people who can't raid to save their lives would not be out of character. Mark it with [NoPVP][Carebear][ShitCock] so I can't miss it and I'd so be there, kthxbye.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 09:38:06 AM

I really don't see the need for a double block.  I'm in the camp of getting gear, but not necessarily spending a lot of time doing it.  Some of the excercises they require for getting keyed/attuned are pure and simple timesinks. 

You'll always have the gear-check block.  There isn't a need for the attunement block too.  Let people learn by taking 5 dirtnaps in a row that they just aren't ready for "that" content.  Or as somebody else said, let the poopsocks band together and open the instances for the entire server.  That worked well enough.

I really do hate anything ingame that forces me to play one specific way like attunments do.  Give me a goal and let me figure out how I want to achieve it.

Removing attunements is a good thing in my book.  After saying that, I still doubt I'll ever be in those instances, but hey, one can dream.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 09:56:47 AM

Yep, I agree with Caladein.  9 times out of 10, removing the "attunement" cockblocks from places like SSC / The Eye is not going to magically open up new raid content to the casuals.

I guess my guild fall in the last 1 out of 10. We are a fairly skilled guild, with a lot of "older" members. IE, out of college and working. We had Kara on farm for months, Gruul for a few months, and recently Mag. We have been working on SSC, but never with quite the optimal raid, and we hadnt set foot in the Eye. A lot of our players have time for rep runs and constant instance farming, but a lot didnt. Hell, I hadnt had time to complete any of the heroic quests for the Eye yet. But last night we went in there as a guild, and we did really good. We didnt kill a boss, but we learned a bunch of trash, and only wiped once on the trash.

For us it is a god send. Since we have the gear and the skill, but not the time to get all our members attuned.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 20, 2007, 10:04:01 AM

Removing the attunement has nothing to do with casuals, its actually about lessening the load for hardcores.  My guild just killed mag last week so we were starting to see the problems with attunement already.  A raiding guild cant simply be split up into groups of 5, your main tanks, your main healers end up having to run the same heroics over and over again to get everyone keyed, then when they burn out the guild is over.  You won't see casual guilds go from kara to TK, what you will see is hardcores not having to spend all their free time backflagging new members and casuals.

I am the .00000001428%
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007, 10:18:05 AM

~cough~ TIGOLE ~cough~

Actually, no.  I was reading a thread on the elitist jerks forum (best guild name ever btw) not long ago where all the ubers were complaining about how easy all the raid content in BC was and how they wanted more shit like the four horsemen in naxx that took the best of the best guilds months to get through and he basically told them to STFU, that encounters like four horsemen requiring EIGHT geared main tanks was simply not going to be acceptable to a casual raiding audience and the only reason they ever made something like it in the first place was because naxx was so close to BC release that they didnt expect anyone but the hardcores to get that far in the first place.

I am the .00000001428%
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 10:46:37 AM

~cough~ TIGOLE ~cough~

Actually, no.  I was reading a thread on the elitist jerks forum (best guild name ever btw) not long ago where all the ubers were complaining about how easy all the raid content in BC was and how they wanted more shit like the four horsemen in naxx that took the best of the best guilds months to get through and he basically told them to STFU, that encounters like four horsemen requiring EIGHT geared main tanks was simply not going to be acceptable to a casual raiding audience and the only reason they ever made something like it in the first place was because naxx was so close to BC release that they didnt expect anyone but the hardcores to get that far in the first place.

Exactly. I know Tigole's become synonymous with hardcore but I've slowly come around to the idea that he may be the guy pushing for casual raiding and five man content. This is based on a post (short but insightful) on EJ from a guy who knows him and alot of recent interviews. The only people who are going to be pissed off right now are the Nihilums and Death and Taxes(es). Christ, Nihilum's "beaten" the expansion with the Illidan kill only six months in with no new top flight raid content in sight and we're saying that the game's catering to the hardcore above all else?

It's a raiding game. Whether one likes it or not is completely irrelevant. The niche that they've cemented for themselves is as a game trying to bring the hardcore to the casual and I think that's an interesting tack. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the next expansion will have just as much raid content but be extremely accessible to those casual-raiders that make up a reasonably sizable portion of the max level playerbase. Whether the hardest core of the hardcore finally object to that and split is anyone's guess.
lesion

Reply #34 on: June 20, 2007, 10:51:45 AM

wts heroic raids

steam|a grue \[T]/
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Attunements removed for SSC/TK  
Jump to: