Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 09:21:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 721623 times)
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2485 on: November 28, 2012, 10:30:26 AM

They need a PSA that says "Press fucking Q, you mouthbreathing cretins!". I swear to FSM I am the only person on NC that ever spots anything.

I would like to add a comment to this. DO NOT spot while near an NME. They can hear you!
I always spot but sometimes when the unit is out of range or I "miss" them the Q key seems to make me say "need ammo" instead.  I don't like that.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #2486 on: November 28, 2012, 10:33:06 AM

I hear you on the aircraft thing. I don't think I've ever gotten a kill despite putting in a decent amount of time with a Hawk (the AA lock-on rocket launcher). Even if I manage to hit an aircraft twice, they just run off and repair up. On base defenses, by the time my rocket gets there it's already dead by turrets or friendly aircraft.

Lock-on weapons are tedious gameplay and should suck/be discouraged.

They are boring weps for the shooter, low if any degree of aim. They are also just annoying for the victim, and removes dodgeing skill element.

Overall unexciting weapons and really shouldn't be in game at all..
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2487 on: November 28, 2012, 10:37:28 AM

They need a PSA that says "Press fucking Q, you mouthbreathing cretins!". I swear to FSM I am the only person on NC that ever spots anything.

I would like to add a comment to this. DO NOT spot while near an NME. They can hear you!
I always spot but sometimes when the unit is out of range or I "miss" them the Q key seems to make me say "need ammo" instead.  I don't like that.

I get this too, I always thought it was because "Q" held down brings up the radial that has such requests on it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2488 on: November 28, 2012, 10:40:28 AM

The choppyness of the net code combined with the weird bullet travel time makes killing people a chore. I either need them to stand completely still, or I need to spray them with a whole clip to kill them. Meanwhile, they just strafe back and forth spraying me. It seems very unrewarding to kill someone.

I guess I'm just used to the crisp and powerful feeling of guns in BF3. Shooting someone meant something and usually resulted in them dying or being injured.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2489 on: November 28, 2012, 10:43:41 AM

I don't have that experience.

Whats your system specs?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2490 on: November 28, 2012, 10:46:11 AM

I don't have that experience either. It could be a ping issue, or simply the problem of adjusting to a game where you have to hit an enemy with an average of 7 bullets to kill them as opposed to the 2 or 3 of many "realistic" shooters. I actually like that you have to lead targets and compensate for bullet drop when they are really far away, even thoug yes it makes killing people harder. It makes sense to me.

And it's a totally different story in close quarters.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:48:10 AM by Falconeer »

waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2491 on: November 28, 2012, 10:49:31 AM

My system is fine, I run steady 60 FPS most of the time. Sniping is a pain in the ass because of the wobbly scope, bullet travel time, and the unsmooth animations from far away. It's even worse trying to snipe with any of the light assault guns.

Maybe it's because I play mainly light assault. I seem to see 80% heavy assault. It takes at least a clip to kill them unless I hit with multiple bullets, which is impossible because they mainly just strafe back and forth, spray, and turn on their shields. Meanwhile, I'm either standing still aiming or ducking to reduce recoil. I actually feel like i'm punished for not strafing back and forth with them.

I guess my main complaint is how much bullets people need to die which gives them time to react and run away, or if they are heavy assault usually kill me.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2492 on: November 28, 2012, 10:54:47 AM

You know you can hold your breath with the shift key while sniping, right? That stops the wobbling for a second.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2493 on: November 28, 2012, 11:23:36 AM

How long does sprinting affect aim?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2494 on: November 28, 2012, 11:33:21 AM

Too long, you have to go from unready sprint, to hip fire, to iron sight. Not even counting COF bloom cool down. The problem I see all over is people sprinting into a building, seeing someone, having to go through the transitions, then bitching in local about how he shot that guy. No, no you did not. You missed every single one, most went into the floor.

I rarely, if ever even sprint around corners. I walk..or Ironsight. Unless I know no one is even there.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:34:58 AM by Mrbloodworth »

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2495 on: November 28, 2012, 11:41:46 AM

I hear you on the aircraft thing. I don't think I've ever gotten a kill despite putting in a decent amount of time with a Hawk (the AA lock-on rocket launcher). Even if I manage to hit an aircraft twice, they just run off and repair up. On base defenses, by the time my rocket gets there it's already dead by turrets or friendly aircraft.

Lock-on weapons are tedious gameplay and should suck/be discouraged.

They are boring weps for the shooter, low if any degree of aim. They are also just annoying for the victim, and removes dodgeing skill element.

Overall unexciting weapons and really shouldn't be in game at all..

Well as implemented by planetside 2 unless you are at really close range its more than possible to dodge lock on missiles. The ground varient actually is often easier to dumbfire because when you do the lock on at any sort of range its pretty easy to get the missile to hit terrain and detonate early. For air travel its more than possible to outrun/outfly lock on rockets and thats not including using flare to ditch them.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2496 on: November 28, 2012, 11:48:24 AM

Yeah, Hes confusing a lock on rocket launcher with Hamstring. Keep it in the TESO thread!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2497 on: November 28, 2012, 11:55:54 AM

I have both the lock-on anti tank weapon and the lock-on anti air weapon, and they are not as reliable as you think, not to mention it still requires about 4 hits to kill anything, and they have a very long reload time during which you are a sitting duck.

They don't see overpowered at all to me, if anything they seem pretty ineffective against small, fast aircrafts. But I get the point about them being no-skill weapons. I still think they serve a function in the game and I feel they fit (so far). Maybe by the time everyone will have them I'll realize they need to be rebalanced. Keep in mind though that as far as I know all aircrafts and ground vehicles have a cert-line to temporarily prevent lock-ons for a little while, so at least there's a counter.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2498 on: November 28, 2012, 12:09:24 PM

What is an NME?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #2499 on: November 28, 2012, 12:16:43 PM

What is an NME?

It's not an acronym.  You have to sound it out.

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #2500 on: November 28, 2012, 12:18:38 PM

Pretty sure he means enemy.

Just thought I'd share a couple of things I wish I knew/thought of sooner. Any vehicles or classes you play a lot, go through all of the certs and grab the one point ones. Things like 10% more health on infantry and reduced respawn timer on vehicles are great for 1 cert each for the 1st level. You can trial weapons. Once you have enough certs to buy something if you click to buy it it brings up a screen where you pick station cash or certs to buy it. At the bottom is a trial now button. Let's you use the weapon for 30 minutes to try it out. If you're going to be playing solo, easiest way I've found to find your faction's zerg is as soon as you log in go to the warp gate terminal and go to the continent with your highest faction population. You can queue for a full continent while playing on the one you're already on.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2501 on: November 28, 2012, 12:19:01 PM

What is an NME?

It's not an acronym.  You have to sound it out.

Sorry, old Habit.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2502 on: November 28, 2012, 12:31:05 PM

e-n-e-m-y
shift-n-m-e-release
f-f-s
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2503 on: November 28, 2012, 12:36:14 PM

Its simpler to type in battle, its part of the lexacon, and I used it a great deal in the original. MY BAD.

Have some others, and Educate yourselves!

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Acronyms_and_Slang
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 12:37:50 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2504 on: November 28, 2012, 12:38:15 PM

What about "foe"? Cause all that NME makes me think of it, well, NME.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2505 on: November 28, 2012, 12:39:33 PM

Interchangeable.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #2506 on: November 28, 2012, 12:39:45 PM

I have both the lock-on anti tank weapon and the lock-on anti air weapon, and they are not as reliable as you think, not to mention it still requires about 4 hits to kill anything, and they have a very long reload time during which you are a sitting duck.

They don't see overpowered at all to me, if anything they seem pretty ineffective against small, fast aircrafts. But I get the point about them being no-skill weapons. I still think they serve a function in the game and I feel they fit (so far). Maybe by the time everyone will have them I'll realize they need to be rebalanced. Keep in mind though that as far as I know all aircrafts and ground vehicles have a cert-line to temporarily prevent lock-ons for a little while, so at least there's a counter.

I don't have an issue with the balance of them, I have an issue with the concept of them in a non-simulator video game. They remove skill elements of aiming and dodgeing, add obnoxious elements (constant lock beeping), and for little positive return besides the diversity of having them.

I think "NME" was popular 10 years ago in certain games. Everyone used to say it on Infantry Online too.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2507 on: November 28, 2012, 12:40:40 PM

like 2003? :p

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2508 on: November 28, 2012, 01:02:37 PM

Is a laser attachment (barrel not sight) just going to give you a red dot or will it actually improve the accuracy of the rifle?  Like if I fire a magazine into a wall with and without the laser would I be able to see the difference?

Edit: I would also like to say fuck grenades, I wish they weren't in the game.  75% of my grenade deaths must be by my own team.  You can't throw a grenade into the room because it has a shield up asshole, it's just going to bounce back.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:04:16 PM by Miasma »
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2509 on: November 28, 2012, 01:08:07 PM

My system is fine, I run steady 60 FPS most of the time. Sniping is a pain in the ass because of the wobbly scope, bullet travel time, and the unsmooth animations from far away. It's even worse trying to snipe with any of the light assault guns.

Maybe it's because I play mainly light assault. I seem to see 80% heavy assault. It takes at least a clip to kill them unless I hit with multiple bullets, which is impossible because they mainly just strafe back and forth, spray, and turn on their shields. Meanwhile, I'm either standing still aiming or ducking to reduce recoil. I actually feel like i'm punished for not strafing back and forth with them.

I guess my main complaint is how much bullets people need to die which gives them time to react and run away, or if they are heavy assault usually kill me.

Heavy assault is pretty popular because it has some good weapons to at least threaten vehicles and is good vs infantry as well. Light infantry is a LOT harder to get good at but can be insanely effective. You really should not be going face to face with a heavy. You should be up above them or in some weird spot where they would never think to look for you and blow their head off before anybody sees where you were. I was having an amazingly good kill streak lurking up on rocks/buildings until ran out of ammo with both my rifle and my pistol.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2510 on: November 28, 2012, 01:08:55 PM

I don't have an issue with the balance of them, I have an issue with the concept of them in a non-simulator video game. They remove skill elements of aiming and dodgeing, add obnoxious elements (constant lock beeping), and for little positive return besides the diversity of having them.

I think "NME" was popular 10 years ago in certain games. Everyone used to say it on Infantry Online too.

What are you going on about? Any lock on weapon you have to aim and continue doing so while zoomed (for what? 3-4seconds?) thus making you completely unaware of your surroundings and incoming threats. After you attain lock and fire, you are reloading for another 3-4 seconds which again, makes you vulnerable. The rocket hits pretty hard on aircraft, no clue about the ground one.

As for dodging, afterburners work, ducking behind a hill/mountain/base/etc works, chaffing works ... so I am not sure about your angle other than to rail against anything.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2511 on: November 28, 2012, 01:10:52 PM

Is a laser attachment (barrel not sight) just going to give you a red dot or will it actually improve the accuracy of the rifle?  Like if I fire a magazine into a wall with and without the laser would I be able to see the difference?

Edit: I would also like to say fuck grenades, I wish they weren't in the game.  75% of my grenade deaths must be by my own team.  You can't throw a grenade into the room because it has a shield up asshole, it's just going to bounce back.

The laser attachment is utter shite. Plain and simple.

And ignore Cervix, as usual.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2512 on: November 28, 2012, 01:11:15 PM

You also have to realize it does not fire directly out of your hands in front of you, but off to the right. I am guilty of trying to toss a nade into an AMS crowd and had it end up ricocheting off a box on my right side even though the reticle was in the clear. I was sad.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2513 on: November 28, 2012, 01:15:57 PM

Is a laser attachment (barrel not sight) just going to give you a red dot or will it actually improve the accuracy of the rifle?

Increased ACC with Hip fire. Less COF bloom. Great for Close combat. Depending on range of FOE, you do not need to iron sight, allowing for greater movement on your part.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:19:01 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #2514 on: November 28, 2012, 01:20:05 PM

The draw distance on enemies is kind of wonky.  Sometimes I can spot an enemy from across a mountain range and snipe his ass.  Sometimes I can's see the horde of invaders across the quad.  I'm sure it's some code keeping from bogging my system down but essentially it's just keeping me from doing my job.  It's bad enough everyone has their own tank and or aircraft.   Grumble grumble.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2515 on: November 28, 2012, 01:24:23 PM

Many of you may not want to hear this.

The Server limits the number of actors you can see, depending on the density of actors in the area. Most times, this is not noticeable. Other times, while running with the zerg, or when there is a clog at a tech plant. This is really noticeable.

They know, they are trying to address. Its still a higher threshold than any other FPS.  They call it interest selection.

Have a Dev post about it:

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #2516 on: November 28, 2012, 01:25:54 PM

e-n-e-m-y
shift-n-m-e-release
f-f-s

Was just trying to be nice and answer the asked question.
For-Fucks-Sake
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2517 on: November 28, 2012, 01:39:25 PM

I don't think he meant to quote you.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2518 on: November 28, 2012, 01:42:37 PM

In PS2 they take a bit out of the skill of aiming but they do nothing to lessen the skill in dodging skilled pilots are almost never hit by the lock on missiles basically the lock on missiles job is to keep the pilots honest and from just hover spamming but the only ones you ever kill with them are the noobs who don't know how to dodge and evade.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2519 on: November 28, 2012, 02:30:03 PM

The laser attachment is utter shite. Plain and simple.
I got one for my sniper's pistol. I grew to like it. I DO seem to get way more kills with my pistol then before, especially if I fire from the "hip". You can turn the annoying laser pointer off by pressing "L" and you seem to keep the bonus, I do not notice a change in reticle size or COF when I turn it off.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: