Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 02:30:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planetside 2  (Read 721653 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1680 on: August 03, 2012, 11:20:12 AM

I'm sorta looking forward to this, but do you think this game will accommodate solo players who just can't grab a clan worth of friends to an mmo.
In PS1 squads are groups of up to 10 players and the squad leader is able to mark his or her squad as joinable by anybody. Though there wasn't always a public squad that had free slots open at all times when I played it was still an easy way for players who weren't members of an outfit (clan) to engage in (semi) coordinated group play. I would imagine PS2 has a similar mechanic.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1681 on: August 03, 2012, 11:38:46 AM

There are plenty of gameplay videos out there, like watch TotalBiscuit's E3 videos on YouTube or on twitch.tv. It might change during beta, but it's less than a minute to spawn in a base, except for spawning on squad leader or Galaxy/Bangbus, which has a cooldown.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1682 on: August 03, 2012, 12:39:22 PM

I'm sorta looking forward to this, but do you think this game will accommodate solo players who just can't grab a clan worth of friends to an mmo.

Yes. I'm also sure there are going to be a number of outfits people here on F13 join from the past you can hop into.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1683 on: August 03, 2012, 12:45:54 PM

That said... spy.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1684 on: August 03, 2012, 01:36:20 PM

Yes. I'm also sure there are going to be a number of outfits people here on F13 join from the past you can hop into.

Memoirs of a Suicidal Planet Side Noob.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1685 on: August 06, 2012, 06:38:56 AM

As unintuitive as it might sound, Plantetside was about patience.  Sure it was easy to charge into a massive battle and die 10 times in 15 minutes, but if you played with patience you could put yourself in a position - even solo - to pick off players too eager to join the main fight. 

In that vein, it isn't clear to me from all the play demos how visible a lone, careful gunman is on the radar.  The maps do look like they will have more holes and geography to hide in than the original.

I have never played WoW.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1686 on: August 06, 2012, 08:59:53 AM

Planetside 2 beta invite waves detailed, Steam version confirmed

The Planetside 2 beta has begun, but access is being gently escalated over the course of the next week or so as SOE try to protect their servers from total meltdown. SOE sent over a statement recently detailing the order in which beta invitations will be sent out.

“External Beta invites will be sent out in waves on an as needed basis, with priority given to active Planetside subscribers, inactive past subscribers and then Priority Beta Code and opt-in registrants, in that order,” they say, adding that “invitations to the External Beta will automatically be sent via email to the address associated with the Station Account utilized to register for Beta participation on PlanetSide2.com.”

“Participants of the upcoming External Beta will be under a non-disclosure agreement if they accept participation and enter into the External Beta. We look forward to hearing players’ reactions, feedback and comments so we can continue to refine and polish PlanetSide 2, making it even more awesome!”

But how awesome is it really, HMMM? Probably quite awesome, actually, which is why Rich has been vibrating faster than a pure vibranium nugget cloistered in jelly and pelted with a neverending torrent of bouncy balls. Luckily for his poor, shaken chair he’s moved past that level of excitement, and now merely broadcasts a zen like calm. “It’s fine,” he says in a way that suggests it’s really not entirely fine. “We’ll all get to play it soon.”

Exec producer Josh Hackney has previously confirmed that those who gained a key from one of our beta key giveaways (PCG US issue 225, PCG UK issue 241) will be among the “primary rounds” of invites, and so should make it in once Planetside 2 subscribers and past subscribers have taken up their places.

In bonus news, Planetside 2 will be coming to Steam. That’s according to a Tweet spotted by VG247 in which SOE CEO John Smedley says “Planetside 2 will be on Steam. Yes it will.” And THAT’S THE NEWS. *studio darkens, music plays, silhouette of reporter appears to be frantically refreshing email to see if invite has arrived yet.*

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #1687 on: August 06, 2012, 09:40:10 AM

As unintuitive as it might sound, Plantetside was about patience.  Sure it was easy to charge into a massive battle and die 10 times in 15 minutes, but if you played with patience you could put yourself in a position - even solo - to pick off players too eager to join the main fight. 

spawncamping...?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1688 on: August 06, 2012, 09:50:38 AM

Doors were removed to "speed up game-play". Speedy Cerviche is now officially the target audience.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1689 on: August 06, 2012, 10:23:13 AM

Well at least it will be on Steam...which means Steam Sale fodder at some point, so I won't be totally left out from NEVER playing this.  why so serious?

And really, an NDA? It is COD: Planetside. What can there be possibly lying there to surprise anyone outside of the constant stream of Higby videos of how insanely awesomely tubular this game is? We know the factions and their "ethos" and the type of equipment used. Couple new things here and there like cloaked snipers  swamp poop but really - maps are about it on the unknown side. Then again, I'll stop now since I am barking up the wrong tree.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1690 on: August 06, 2012, 10:46:16 AM

Planetside 1 vets (not current subs) - make sure you have registered for beta or you won't get in. It's not automatic.

Zero hour tweet. Awesome.

UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #1691 on: August 06, 2012, 10:57:55 AM

spawncamping...?

More like route camping.  The shortest distance between to points is ...
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1692 on: August 06, 2012, 11:12:44 AM

spawncamping...?

This, not the former.  And then there were those lovely times when an enemy drop pod landed in your vicinity.

I have never played WoW.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1693 on: August 06, 2012, 01:02:32 PM

Well at least it will be on Steam...which means Steam Sale fodder at some point, so I won't be totally left out from NEVER playing this.  why so serious?
You need a sale on a f2p title in order to buy it?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Terracotta Army

Reply #1694 on: August 06, 2012, 01:35:02 PM

You need a sale on a f2p title in order to buy it?

Is there not a box cost? Meh, even if there isn't, yeah... I still need it for this abomination.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1695 on: August 06, 2012, 01:38:30 PM

No box. No box cost. Steam or SOE download.

Any steam sale I would wager would be for station cash, though I guess that posses issues with Steam wallet and station cash, so who knows until they tell us.

I figure it my be like T:A, where you buy a "starter kit" of station cash or whatever + Boosters.

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #1696 on: August 06, 2012, 07:59:30 PM

spawncamping...?

This, not the former.  And then there were those lovely times when an enemy drop pod landed in your vicinity.
I still think fondly of that badly placed AMS I camped for half an hour as a sniper.  It resulted in over 50 unique kills (backing out repeated kills of the same person in less than 5 minutes).

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1697 on: August 06, 2012, 09:20:10 PM

So apparently I need to check my email more often... awesome, for real

Apparently so do I.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1698 on: August 06, 2012, 09:39:51 PM

Heartbreak

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1699 on: August 06, 2012, 10:27:39 PM

By the way... if you have station cash and are in Europe. They are going to be using some sort of different currency with PS2...

Vectoron
I'm in Europe and already have a bunch of Station Cash sitting on my account ready for PlanetSide2. Europe players are now having to use Pro7, what happens to all our Station

walabond
   does this mean european players who bought a bunch of "station cash" specifically for Planetside 2 are going to get screwed over?

j_smedley
     hmm. i think that's kind of a loaded question - we shared that PS2 was part of the Prosieben deal. If you feel personally screwed email me at jsmedley@soe.sony.com and I will see you get refunded personally.

So there's your chance to get money from Sony.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #1700 on: August 07, 2012, 09:11:05 AM

Doors were removed to "speed up game-play". Speedy Cerviche is now officially the target audience.

I'm sure some budding developer is working on your door opening simulator as we speak.

btw sniping is low-brow.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1701 on: August 07, 2012, 10:48:53 AM

By the way... if you have station cash and are in Europe. They are going to be using some sort of different currency with PS2...

Ah, Smed, you're like an ex-boyfriend who again makes me feel abused and ripped off after mistakenly believing you've changed. Who am I kidding? I saw this coming a mile away.

So they are going to use IP locking to ensure euros have to use their jerry middleman, but with Steam being involved at some point that would mean some get to use two middlemen. Screw ProSieben though. I remember scrolling through satellite channels on TV as a post-soviet kid thirsty for western culture. Constantly I would come across this one channel that had something good like a Hollywood action movie or the Simpsons running, only to realize it's ProSieben where everything was dubbed over in German. Not just lazy Russian dubbing where you could ignore Ivan Monotone speaking over all the characters, including the female actors, and still make out Stallone's numb cheek. But these jerry bastards managed to squeeze their kraut squabbling over every lip movement with perfect accuracy. I bet you they just rewrote some of the script or added frames to get the dubbing to sync up perfectly, because no way in hell can you slip in shit like "Eisenbahnknotenpunkthinundherschieber" without some of that fritz precision making every goddamn show seem like the Nazis had won.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1702 on: August 07, 2012, 11:10:44 AM

Terracotta Army

Reply #1703 on: August 07, 2012, 11:43:55 AM

An implant that reduces your vehicle spawn timer?  swamp poop

And implants only last 24h? I assume you have to repurchase implants everyday then? meh...

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1704 on: August 07, 2012, 12:04:26 PM

If F2P ruins this game I am going to be on a warpath.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1705 on: August 07, 2012, 12:08:29 PM

If When F2P ruins this game I am going to be on a warpath.

All better now.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1706 on: August 08, 2012, 06:47:39 AM

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1707 on: August 08, 2012, 09:56:51 AM

That video appears to give a good sense of the gameplay.  I found it encouraging.

I have never played WoW.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1708 on: August 08, 2012, 11:16:00 AM

Gameplay does look good aside from the beta glitchiness. However, the purpose is just not there. It feels like "oh over here, we can shoot other people" rather than "hey we need this 'base' in order to <insert purpose>."  Yeah, beta beta rah rah rah... but I think the purpose of why the fuck you are fighting is being (and has been from the start of this) overlooked in order to speed things up and make it a go go go headshot shooter FPS. Great, they made a good FPS that is hardly groundbreaking without some sort of structure underneath to give me a reason to play.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1709 on: August 08, 2012, 11:19:17 AM

Gameplay does look good aside from the beta glitchiness. However, the purpose is just not there. It feels like "oh over here, we can shoot other people" rather than "hey we need this 'base' in order to <insert purpose>."  Yeah, beta beta rah rah rah... but I think the purpose of why the fuck you are fighting is being (and has been from the start of this) overlooked in order to speed things up and make it a go go go headshot shooter FPS. Great, they made a good FPS that is hardly groundbreaking without some sort of structure underneath to give me a reason to play.

What sort of thing are you looking for?  If I understand properly there is some advantage to holding bases/points of interest in terms of gameplay.  But Planetside never had some kind of greater victory condition the first time around.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1710 on: August 08, 2012, 11:40:00 AM

And furthermore, how would one easily demonstrate any such overall objective-based system in gameplay footage?  That is a variable that only playing the game will reveal properly.  It is F2P afterall so there is no risk.

I have never played WoW.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1711 on: August 08, 2012, 11:52:08 AM

And furthermore, how would one easily demonstrate any such overall objective-based system in gameplay footage?  That is a variable that only playing the game will reveal properly.  It is F2P afterall so there is no risk.

Well there is the factor of taking a select base/territory in order to pull certain vehicles which made the bases the objective and not one's kill count. I get it, it was a vid about the gameplay - but planetside was so much more than that, a 2-3m display of the map, where bases are located and what they do for your empire so you know what is up next if you accomplish the current task, resource list (how much is my empire getting and how much more if we take a territory/base) since that is the in thing in this game rather than NTUs, hot spots on the map to see where the fight is ebbing and flowing to, waypoints anyone?, how many control panels do I have to stand next to in order to flip the base and how do I know it is flipped? Great... shooting people looks nice aside from the betaness - video achievement accomplished... now perhaps give us (well me I guess since I am the only one who cares) one that establishes a reason to shoot people. 

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1712 on: August 08, 2012, 12:40:13 PM

You're not the only one who cares, just the one who cares the loudest.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1713 on: August 08, 2012, 12:47:55 PM

You're not the only one who cares, just the one who cares the loudest.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1714 on: August 09, 2012, 08:28:02 AM

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 102 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Planetside 2  
Jump to: