Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:21:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The <celebrity> Died Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The <celebrity> Died Thread  (Read 304849 times)
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #980 on: October 31, 2020, 05:55:35 AM

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54761824

Sean Connery's out at 90. Been sick for a bit, passed in his sleep.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #981 on: November 08, 2020, 01:22:36 PM

Alex Trebek dead at 80. A have many fond memories of watching Jeopardy in my childhood playing along with my family. 2020 is slowly but surely killing off large swaths of my childhood movie and tv stars.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #982 on: November 25, 2020, 08:59:34 AM

Diego Maradona Dies at 60

Was an interesting character, that is for sure.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #983 on: November 25, 2020, 10:23:52 AM

And big.

Never cared about sport and especially not football, but Maradona was such a household name when growing up.

He was The footballer.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 10:39:20 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #984 on: November 25, 2020, 10:34:03 AM

Hope God pulls him aside and shows him his hand.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #985 on: November 29, 2020, 10:03:55 AM

David Prowse died.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #986 on: December 05, 2020, 05:18:39 PM

Hugh Keays-Byrne has passed away  Toecutter rides eternal. Shiny, and chrome!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #987 on: December 08, 2020, 07:47:20 AM

Chuck Yeagar dead at 97

Was one of my heroes as a kid. Because I liked planes and things going fast.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

Reply #988 on: December 08, 2020, 10:55:45 AM

Squiggy from Laverne and Shirley died last Friday. Forgot to post since I was out of it all weekend.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/david-lander-died/2020/12/06/41b4f6b6-3774-11eb-a997-1f4c53d2a747_story.html

His 'hello' entrance is still pretty iconic to those who group up watching the show.

---------------------

As for Chuck Yeagar... I celebrate that life. Talk about doing something no one had ever done and lived to tell about it. Great long life doing shit that should not have actually had a long life outcome. 

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Terracotta Army

Reply #989 on: December 11, 2020, 08:19:18 AM

Tommy Lister of Friday fame passes away... seems he had COVID and was on the other side of it but developed breathing problems after.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/11/entertainment/thomas-lister-jr-death-trnd/index.html

Everyone in heaven: 'ah shit, here come Deebo'
Jesus: 'who?'
Everyone: "DEE-BO - hide yo shit'

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #990 on: December 11, 2020, 08:58:35 AM

Wow, I thought Yeager had died a while ago.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #991 on: December 11, 2020, 04:20:56 PM

Tommy Lister of Friday fame passes away... seems he had COVID and was on the other side of it but developed breathing problems after.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/11/entertainment/thomas-lister-jr-death-trnd/index.html

Everyone in heaven: 'ah shit, here come Deebo'
Jesus: 'who?'
Everyone: "DEE-BO - hide yo shit'

Man my gramama gave me that chain.

Friday is one of our go to movies, the old lady hums the deebo theme all the time (and I was going to name my fostered cat Deebo if he had needed to stay with me).
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #992 on: December 17, 2020, 10:57:06 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #993 on: December 24, 2020, 07:09:42 AM

Damn, Leslie West, the Mountain Man himself. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/leslie-west-dead-1106777/

I know what I'll be playing tonight. The Queen is a staple on my playlist.
Terracotta Army

Reply #994 on: December 26, 2020, 05:19:19 PM

Michael Alig of Party Monster infamy died... probable OD which is not shocking.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/26/style/michael-alig-dead.html

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #995 on: January 04, 2021, 03:06:17 AM

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #996 on: January 04, 2021, 04:13:44 PM

Gerry Marsden died on Sunday.

Not a household name but I guarantee you know at least one of his songs. Especially if you've ever watched a Liverpool match.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #997 on: January 04, 2021, 10:34:47 PM

Not so fast:

Tanya Roberts: Bond girl and Charlie's Angel still alive, agent says https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55528352

US actress Tanya Roberts, best known for her roles in the James Bond film A View to a Kill and the final season of Charlie's Angels, is still alive, her representative has told the BBC.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #998 on: January 04, 2021, 11:40:29 PM

Covid got Dawn Wells, aka MaryAnn from Gilligan's Island.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/30/entertainment/dawn-wells-obit/index.html

I think that means only Ginger is left now.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #999 on: January 05, 2021, 06:49:12 AM

So 2020 really was a shitty horror flick where the model is the only one to survive.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1000 on: January 05, 2021, 07:27:48 AM

Covid got Dawn Wells, aka MaryAnn from Gilligan's Island.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/30/entertainment/dawn-wells-obit/index.html

Actually, ALL the Gingers are still alive.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1001 on: January 05, 2021, 09:25:08 AM

I always thought MaryAnne was hotter anyway.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1002 on: January 05, 2021, 10:16:14 AM

So Tanya Roberts wasn't really dead.  But NOW she is.  That one kinda hurts, I had a big crush on her as a teenager.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1003 on: January 05, 2021, 03:17:13 PM

Such a weird story.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1004 on: January 05, 2021, 04:23:57 PM

So Tanya Roberts wasn't really dead.  But NOW she is.  That one kinda hurts, I had a big crush on her as a teenager.

Amen. The Beastmaster was out on video when I took notice of her...

And the Ginger memes about winning Survivor Gilligan's Island are poor taste funny as hell.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1005 on: January 05, 2021, 09:55:22 PM

Maybe this belongs in the Music thread. 

Alexi Leiho - vocals/guitar/frontman for Finland's Children of Bodom passed.  He was a monster of a guitarist and his band was a huge gateway band into "extreme metal"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICwaFjX5fNk

Saw them live in Sacramento ~2006ish, CA and they just delivered in spades.  Haven't listened to them in quite sometime but in the early 2000s I listened to them all the time.   He was 41 :(

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1006 on: January 07, 2021, 08:24:31 PM

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55578481

Officer Hooks from Police Academy, Marion Ramsey has died.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1007 on: January 08, 2021, 06:44:38 AM

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55578481

Officer Hooks from Police Academy, Marion Ramsey has died.
The fiancee and I have a significant amount of Police Academy references in our in-joke bucket. She was so perfect in that role.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1008 on: January 22, 2021, 01:27:13 AM

From facebook.

J. Michael Straczynski - Hang with JMS

It is a night of great sadness, for our friend and comrade has gone down the road where we cannot reach her.  But as with all things, we will catch up with her in time, and I believe she will have many stories to tell us, and many new roles to share with the universe.

In Memoriam: Mira Furlan

When Mira Furlan came to audition for Babylon 5, her home country of Yugoslavia was in turmoil and shattering into two separate countries.  During our first meeting, we spoke about her work and her life, and I learned that she had been part of a touring theater group that continued to cross borders of the disintegrating country despite receiving death threats from both sides in the civil war.  

I expressed my admiration for her courage, but she shrugged and waved it off.  “What’s the worst that could have happened?  Yes, they could have killed me.  So what?  Art should have no borders.”

Very few people knew that side of Mira: the fiery, fearless side that fought ceaselessly for her art.  She brought all of those traits to Delenn, and in turn I tried to write speeches for her that would allow her to comment on what was happening to her homeland without calling it out by name.  I guess I must have done it correctly because one day during the Minbari Civil War arc, she appeared in my office door, a cup of tea in one hand, in full makeup but wearing a pull-over robe from wardrobe, and said, “So, how long did you live in Yugoslavia?”

Her husband, Goran, has always been the rock of her life.  He was and is a gentleman, quick to laughter, an accomplished director and as much an artist as Mira, which made them the ideal couple.  I’ve rarely seen two people so utterly meant for each other.

I remember the first time Mira appeared at a convention with me and some of the other cast.  She didn’t quite understand what it was all about, but gamely did her part.  When the audience question period came along, a fan held up his hand and said to Mira, whose Yugoslavian accent was much stronger in the beginning than it became with time, “Say ‘moose and squirrel.’”  

She had no idea what this meant, but she said “Moose and Squirrel” and the room erupted in one of the longest sustained laughs I’ve ever seen at a convention.  We explained it later, but really, all that mattered to her was that the audience had been happy.

We’ve known for some time now that Mira’s health was failing…I’m not sure that this is the right time or place to discuss the sheer randomness of what happened…and have all been dreading this day.  We kept hoping that she would improve.  In a group email sent to the cast a while back, I heard that she might be improving.

Then came the call from Peter Jurasik.  “I wanted you to know that Goran’s bringing Mira home,” he said.
“Do you mean, he’s bringing her home as in she’s better now, or is he bringing her home as in he’s bringing her home?”
“He’s bringing her home, Joe,” Peter said, and I could hear the catch in his voice as he said it.
And as a family, we held our counsel, and began the long wait, which has now ended.

Mira was a good and kind woman, a stunningly talented performer, and a friend to everyone in the cast and crew of Babylon 5, and we are all devastated by the news.  The cast members with whom she was especially close since the show’s end will need room to process this moment, so please be gentle if they are unresponsive for a time.  We have been down this road too often, and it only gets harder.

If you are a fan of Mira’s work, fire up those special moments when she shook the heavens, and relive the art she brought to her work.  For any actor, that is the best tribute possible: for the work to endure.  As much as this is a time to grieve, it is also a time to celebrate her life and her courage.  

All of our thoughts tonight will be on the memories she left behind, the dazzling light of her performances, the breadth of her talent, and the heart and love she shared with Goran, and with all of you.

Joe Straczynski

This hurts.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 01:28:54 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1009 on: January 22, 2021, 06:43:28 AM

Goddamnit.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1010 on: January 22, 2021, 08:12:08 AM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1011 on: January 22, 2021, 09:14:29 AM

Man, any time people might forget what life has been like for blacks in America, Aaron's life is worth looking into--they had to have extra security in the stands for all the games where he was approaching the record because he was receiving so many death threats and law enforcement agencies agreed that quite a few of them were credible and serious. Just because he was going to replace a white guy in the record books. He was frightened when two white guys came running at him the night he broke the record because he thought they might be coming to attack him (they just wanted to run alongside him).

(If you decide Bonds' HRs shouldn't count, Aaron still is #1...)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1012 on: January 22, 2021, 11:54:47 AM

(If you decide Bonds' HRs shouldn't count, Aaron still is #1...)

Truth.

RIP Hank.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1013 on: January 22, 2021, 05:24:09 PM

I remember as a kid watching that game on TV with such excitement and then Vin Scully who everyone in my house treated roughly like the Pope said something about how badly Aaron had been treated and how all those small men should just shut up now and my dad was like "goddamn it yes, those fuckers" and I was wait what? He tried to explain it but I really wasn't able to process it--people hated him because? he was a really great baseball player? because he was dignified? I mean, that's the world we're still in--America got broken just partly because a Hank Aaron or Jackie Robinson became President and some people just could not fucking deal.

He apparently preferred to be called "Henry" but "Hank" felt more marketable for some weird reason.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1014 on: January 23, 2021, 05:17:42 AM

Larry King died: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/larry-king-dead-obit-828733/

Probably due to complications from his Covid infection
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The <celebrity> Died Thread  
Jump to: