Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:55:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2123460 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13685 on: November 23, 2011, 03:04:08 PM

There is some kind of authenticator planned yes. They have a field on the launcher for your authenticator code to go.

This has been known for a while as the Physical CE comes with an Authenticator.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/B005B8DRVU.01.lg.jpg

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #13686 on: November 23, 2011, 03:05:39 PM

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #13687 on: November 23, 2011, 03:08:30 PM

In friday and I'll be at work.

Hey guys, maybe when they sent out all the emails saying you should update your shit, you shoulda updated your shit.  why so serious?

Actually, I think the problem is their site was fucked, and telling people they needed to change their password. I waited an hour and tried again, and it let me log in with out changing my password.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13688 on: November 23, 2011, 03:20:46 PM

All sorted now. The website became unfucked.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:22:27 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #13689 on: November 23, 2011, 03:25:28 PM

"Bioware Tech Support, this is Peggy, what is problem, please?"

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #13690 on: November 23, 2011, 03:35:49 PM

I just received an E-mail from BW telling me I can begin testing SWOTOR on Friday at 10-00 AM CST - and I was like... awesome, for real   Heart

Then I realised that I've been a general tester for several builds and know the stories to level 20 verbatim - and I was like...  ACK!   Heartbreak

The lesson is: living for months with four hours sleep turns one's brain to  swamp poop

Thank you Bioware.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #13691 on: November 23, 2011, 03:44:27 PM

I just received an E-mail from BW telling me I can begin testing SWOTOR on Friday at 10-00 AM CST - and I was like... awesome, for real   Heart

Then I realised that I've been a general tester for several builds and know the stories to level 20 verbatim - and I was like...  ACK!   Heartbreak

The lesson is: living for months with four hours sleep turns one's brain to  swamp poop

Thank you Bioware.

You were the kind of kid who ate all their Hallowe'en candy before they got home, weren't you?

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #13692 on: November 23, 2011, 03:46:32 PM

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13693 on: November 23, 2011, 03:49:27 PM

Friday 10AM start here as well.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #13694 on: November 23, 2011, 03:54:12 PM

There is some kind of authenticator planned yes. They have a field on the launcher for your authenticator code to go.

This has been known for a while as the Physical CE comes with an Authenticator.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/B005B8DRVU.01.lg.jpg

Was hoping they'd be testing their launcher authenticator this weekend via an app. (I've become a fan of the authenticator app idea thanks to RIFT.)

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #13695 on: November 23, 2011, 04:59:57 PM

Speaking of DDO's active combat, this is where I think SWTOR is really a missed opportunity. The combat is identical to WoW's, and it really feels off-putting for a Star Wars game in 2011. Playing a trooper during the last beta weekend I kept wondering "why am I tab-targeting and playing with action bars when I should just be aiming and shooting". Ranged combat in DDO is how SWTOR ranged combat should be play. Borderlands came out two years ago and it seemed so obvious that it's where MMOs were going. And yet here we are, with another MMO where you click on an enemy to target them, stand still, and then press 1-5 on your keyboard every couple seconds to attack them.

Once the story is done (or sidelined, because you haven't levelled up enough to advance the story), all you have are the mechanics. BioWare don't go good mechanics. Passable, functional ones sure, but hardly good, balanced ones.

I'm not really fussed if SWOR is found fun during the beta period. The key questions for SWOR are:

1) "Is it fun in three months time after launch?"

2) "Is it fun enough to justify a subscription cost when F2P titles are a valid alternative?"

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #13696 on: November 23, 2011, 05:01:32 PM

My only concern is that it's worth the box cost.  Everything beyond that is gravy to me.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #13697 on: November 23, 2011, 05:07:50 PM

I support no jumping

Didn't Guild Wars already cover that for you?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Over and out.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #13698 on: November 23, 2011, 05:09:32 PM

I'll begin on Friday too, 5pm my time. Four hours before my girlfriend will start ruining my plans for the weekend  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Igglethorpe
Terracotta Army

Reply #13699 on: November 23, 2011, 05:10:43 PM

I don't post often, but in reading well over 100 pages of this stuff, I get the feeling that most of us are a wee bit too close to gaming in general.  I venture to say quite a few people will experience an MMO for the first time and will not have the experience or frames of reference that we have.  Most of us on F13 feel compelled to tear this game apart hoping to find some elusive "holy grail of game design" that just isn't there.  At some point we are going to have to accept what has been presented.  Either enjoy it or move on.  Course, we would never reach page 400 if everyone felt that way...

While its true that they may have fallen short on some levels for a number of our expectations, speaking for myself I'm really looking forward to this game, warts and all.  I think I can suspend belief in the thought that a "nirvana MMO" will release anytime soon.

Enjoy the game while it lasts.. or don't.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 05:12:17 PM by Igglethorpe »
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #13700 on: November 23, 2011, 05:11:52 PM

I cant wait for the fallout when people that played two weekends ago find their characters are bugged and unable to log them in.

Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #13701 on: November 23, 2011, 05:13:43 PM

My only concern is that it's worth the box cost.  Everything beyond that is gravy to me.

I'm counting on this being good enough as a SP/Coop game for the leveling experience with at least 2 months of fun. I think I'm too old/broken/bitter for endgame in any MMO now and have long since realised I'm no longer the target audience. I'd say that probably applies to a good many other people on this forum.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #13702 on: November 23, 2011, 05:23:08 PM

You’ll be able to begin testing Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ very soon! Your test begins:

Friday, Nov. 25 at 10:00AM CST

Of course, I'll be at the in-law's eating turkey.  Ohhhhh, I see.

You eat turkey for breakfast the day after?

Over and out.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #13703 on: November 23, 2011, 05:28:56 PM

You’ll be able to begin testing Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ very soon! Your test begins:

Friday, Nov. 25 at 10:00AM CST

Of course, I'll be at the in-law's eating turkey.  Ohhhhh, I see.

You eat turkey for breakfast the day after?

Knowing my mother-in-law, there will be turkey every meal until I go back home.  ACK!
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #13704 on: November 23, 2011, 06:16:05 PM

Three days trying to fix my SWTOR password  swamp poop. Now the 1-855 just says "sorry too busy"
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #13705 on: November 23, 2011, 06:26:20 PM

Looks like I'm in on Saturday morning, 10:00am CST.
Stupid security questions ANSWER!
Horrendous ammount of downloading BEGIN!

No idea what I'll play; I presume I'll get shunted to whichever server Slap is flopping about on. Maybe.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13706 on: November 23, 2011, 06:30:18 PM

I'm intrigued by the Scoundrel. But confused by his desire to carry around a goddamned shotgun and rarely use it.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #13707 on: November 23, 2011, 06:37:32 PM

It's cause the agent carries a knife.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13708 on: November 23, 2011, 07:31:19 PM

No idea what I'll play; I presume I'll get shunted to whichever server Slap is flopping about on. Maybe.
You should play an Imperial.  (But I'll have my Trooper at the very least, so Fordel doesn't feel all alone.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #13709 on: November 23, 2011, 08:09:14 PM

I've informed my guild that I'm a Trooper. Whether it will be tanking or healing grenades is a tough call.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #13710 on: November 23, 2011, 08:20:45 PM

I have this suspicion three of my four Bat Country alts are going to be dudes. Lady inquisitor, man IA, man BH, beefalo twi'lek (pink, if you please) warrior. I just like the dude voices on that side better on the whole ... and beefalo twi'lek men are 100% pure love.

God Save the Horn Players
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13711 on: November 23, 2011, 08:35:59 PM

Looks like I'm in on Saturday morning, 10:00am CST.
Stupid security questions ANSWER!
Horrendous ammount of downloading BEGIN!

Not for the beta, that stuff is all for live. I think our dudes for the test are on Canderous Ordo assuming server names are the same etc.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #13712 on: November 23, 2011, 09:40:40 PM

I have a quick question. I've got a friend who is getting warnings when he tries to patch or whatever that his cpu is not a dual core so he can't play.  One, yes, I'm surprised he is on a single core as well and two, have you guys heard of anyone actually playing on a single core despite the warning?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13713 on: November 23, 2011, 10:00:04 PM

I'm in at 10am CST on Friday as well, which is...1 hour before I have to work. Fml.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13714 on: November 23, 2011, 11:18:05 PM

where can I check out available races? Knowing me I'll waste an hour and a half making my character at the start if I don't put in some research :P

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13715 on: November 23, 2011, 11:28:05 PM

Races are purely cosmetic, if that helps.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #13716 on: November 23, 2011, 11:37:17 PM

where can I check out available races? Knowing me I'll waste an hour and a half making my character at the start if I don't put in some research :P
During the Stress test weekend I spent too much time in character creation and kept getting a Network error trying to log into the game. I also watched the intro videos and had it happen right after the video too. D=

I will be in this Friday am, but sure hope I get further through playing the Character, but I also was crashing (possibly drivers) and was experiencing more Network, Patcher and Server Select testing than I was actually able to see of the game. Got to maybe mess around with a created character for about 10mins tops.

With the NDA down I'm surprised I'm not really seeing positive reviews for the game's stickyness, and although I wouldn't mind a box, it's something I can probably get in a year's time as a free trial or free to play. I don't see the population being all that large, and I expected to see more advertising to go with the video gaming site hype. I also am not totally sold on a Single Player game in Multi-player, with Cut-scenes and voice-overs too much either.

Am I missing something or is the run speed like really slow? Was this networking issues? Is there some kind of speed burst? Am I gonna be bugging people for SoWs?

Also why did my jump look like I was trying to be Spider-Man?

I did have additional stress with their email, security and associated BS along with doing "Stress Testing".

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #13717 on: November 23, 2011, 11:41:51 PM

While its true that they may have fallen short on some levels for a number of our expectations, speaking for myself I'm really looking forward to this game, warts and all.  I think I can suspend belief in the thought that a "nirvana MMO" will release anytime soon.
Enjoy the game while it lasts.. or don't.

I think it's not too surprising that f13 folks can both enjoy a game and tear it apart. I loved the brief time I had in SWTOR last beta weekend despite its shortcomings. It hooked me when I felt bad about killing someone in cold blood as part of one moment in a story.  And grinned when an NPC chastised me for not being decisive enough in my treatment of a prisoner. Is this the stuff of ad nauseum grindfests that define the typical "long time play" experience? Probably not. I've kept my expectations low enough that I found BW delivered just above them last beta weekend. And ditto on the box cost being a baseline for value -- even original AOC met that for me for its "first 20 levels" story (no I didn't sub more than an extra month, but I felt I got my money's worth -- especially in the beefcake character creation department).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:46:42 PM by Sobelius »

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #13718 on: November 24, 2011, 12:03:24 AM

I think there was solid point made regarding "there'll be a lot of first time MMORPG players playing" just given the universe this game is put in.

Just for reference: how did LOTRO do with those "first time because I'm a nerd" players quantity wise?

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #13719 on: November 24, 2011, 12:30:14 AM

Am I missing something or is the run speed like really slow? Was this networking issues? Is there some kind of speed burst? Am I gonna be bugging people for SoWs?

You get Sprint at level 15 (or 14 - I'm too addled by sleep depravation to be sure) and then thing zip along nicely.

Also why did my jump look like I was trying to be Spider-Man?
The craptastic jumping animation is one of the (few) paces I can fault them in this area. It does look bloody terrible and your character appears to do a bullettime slowdown (cue slow synth).

Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: