Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:02:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2137470 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7525 on: June 24, 2011, 01:57:27 PM

Seems like a potential goldmine for RMT.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  "You want your companion back?  You clicked through all three of the death confirmations?  Well, we have a "restore option" you can buy for $10. Ok.. is that MasterCard or Visa?"

-Rasix
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #7526 on: June 24, 2011, 03:14:08 PM

Yeah, from a quick search a mention of killer holograms has the disclaimer that that's supposed to get/is patched out.  So we'll go with that.
They should definitely leave this option in for Sith, via force-choking.  Vader did it!

Kinda like how there's 3-4 different Gandalfs across the expansions and patches?   awesome, for real
Unlike an NPC, even a major NPC, I think it'll be a pretty big deal when my character's voice changes - and I hope they're planning to avoid that for as long as possible.  Eventually it's probably going to happen, but once I'm used to my character sounding one way, if she suddenly sounds totally different it's going to bug me.  Possibly for quite a while.  Inevitable if the game lasts long enough though, I figure.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:25:49 PM by Koyasha »

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7527 on: June 24, 2011, 03:19:00 PM

Seems like a potential goldmine for RMT.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  "You want your companion back?  You clicked through all three of the death confirmations?  Well, we have a "restore option" you can buy for $10. Ok.. is that MasterCard or Visa?"
I like it. Dumbass tax.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7528 on: June 24, 2011, 03:21:42 PM

And we already know Bioware is willing to have NPCs selling DLC - want to find out whats up with Morrigan - pay up mother fucker.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7529 on: June 24, 2011, 03:47:04 PM

They probably need it to release when it's supposed to in order to have some sort of income in this fiscal year.

Their fiscal year ends March 2012.   It's just not going to happen.   I think it's a bit of a stretch to even believe Blizz can upset all their release plans just to take a potshot at SWTOR with a single player game anyways.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7530 on: June 24, 2011, 03:52:12 PM

It is also (gasp!) possible that the timing of other Blizzard stuff wasn't some vast evil conspiracy to derail other games in the first place.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7531 on: June 24, 2011, 03:56:50 PM

Everyone is all doom and gloom over the idea that you could fuck up and lose your companions. What you guys are missing, is that we are not the norm for MMO players. Normal MMO players will not be making a single plotline decision past newbie level without first consulting Alakakotor/SWTOWIKI/etc. to find out which option gives them the 100% best advancement scenario.

Most players won't care about bad things happening to NPCs, because they'll simply look things up first and won't make those choices.

Err, WE are the crowd that will do that. The masses they hope to attract are console gamers and quasi RPG folks who are either bored of WoW endgame or quit when they hit the cap but never found anything approaching WoW's level of polish. They're core gamers but not HARD core games min/maxing their way to foozle.

Whatever happens with companions will be decided by the frequency of bad decisions made by the ignorant. Which likely means there will be no way to cause permadeath to them by launch.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #7532 on: June 24, 2011, 04:49:10 PM

It is also (gasp!) possible that the timing of other Blizzard stuff wasn't some vast evil conspiracy to derail other games in the first place.
Yes, I'm sure that is was all purely a coincidence that every single time a new MMO launched there was a WoW patch a week each way of the launch date.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7533 on: June 24, 2011, 04:50:38 PM

If your game can get knocked out by a WoW patch, you had no fucking business releasing anyway, frankly.

God Save the Horn Players
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7534 on: June 24, 2011, 05:24:25 PM

Yes, I'm sure that is was all purely a coincidence that every single time a new MMO launched there was a WoW patch a week each way of the launch date.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

January, January, December. Or, two that were meant for December and a third that made it. Because the time to sell entertainment and product is in December. When everyone else in entertainment and product is doing the same.

That's the market, not a conspiracy :)

What Blizzard does get away with is promising December and still managing to get the shelf space even after missing it a month. That's market support that few other companies can touch.

If you can't beat a WoW expansion. it's not because Blizzard is out to get you. It's because you weren't good enough to be on the market against competition at all.

Diablos and the *craft RTSes are different, but neither has launched anything in such a long time, I'm curiious if they'll keep to the March and July (respectively) release timing. They can't launch everything with a Blizzard name in the same month.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7535 on: June 24, 2011, 06:09:29 PM

Oh they'll definitely do the patch thing.   Patches don't have release dates.   They don't sell boxes and they don't have to be shipped to stores.    They will definitely try to release D3 in some way that it causes problems for SWTOR too.   I just think it's a huge stretch to think they can even manage releasing it within 2~3 weeks of SWTOR.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7536 on: June 24, 2011, 06:46:55 PM

Wow patch 4.2 is next week. That would mean the next major raid would be 5 months from now and that is just WAY too fast for a wow patch.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #7537 on: June 24, 2011, 06:51:33 PM

That's the market, not a conspiracy :)

What he said. I do not believe there are any meetings between Blizzard heads where the topic of discussion is "how can we time the release of this product to undermine our competition?"

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7538 on: June 24, 2011, 07:25:27 PM

Yes, but that's why you're not in marketing and sales.

That type of thing is considered, analyzed and parsed into tiny data bits over projects that generate less revenue than a multi-billion dollar MMO franchise.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7539 on: June 24, 2011, 07:28:13 PM

Wow patch 4.2 is next week. That would mean the next major raid would be 5 months from now and that is just WAY too fast for a wow patch.

Unless it was another "We promise we won't do this again.." ToC type patch.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #7540 on: June 24, 2011, 09:15:49 PM

Five to six months is on the long side for a raid but leaves them where they can either counter a holiday release or let Firelands last until January which leaves Deathwing's raid out for a bit less time (a good thing).

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #7541 on: June 24, 2011, 11:04:32 PM

If your game can get knocked out by a WoW patch, you had no fucking business releasing anyway, frankly.

This time 1000 billion.

If a fuckiing patch to an existing game can make people shy away from yours, you need to either fucking make a decent game or at least hire some marketing folks who know how to sell something new.

A god damn incremental patch to old stuff should not cause people to avoid you in droves.

(jesus, I typed that all when drunk with no apparent errors.)

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #7542 on: June 25, 2011, 05:46:23 AM

If a fuckiing patch to an existing game new content for a game people have been playing religiously for 5+ years can make people shy away from yours (..)
fixed.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7543 on: June 25, 2011, 05:52:29 AM

A god damn incremental patch to old stuff should not cause people to avoid you in droves.

The problem is in MMOs there is a ton that goes into it(edit: it being the decision of which to play).  Going back to WoW costs 15 bucks, picking up TOR will cost at least 50.  People have their communities to do said content already built in WoW, and they have their characters already the way they like them.  They probably also have a history of knowing they like WoW's content patches, whereas Bioware is new to the MMO space.

Its also not like a shooter where you're like, well, whatever I'll pick up a few different shooter and install/play whatever I'm in the mood for, because MMORPGs have quite a bit of time investment built into them and people aren't generally speaking going to have 5 (Pay to play) MMORPGs installed and subbed to on their machine at any given time, whereas I could with a few hours of installing stuff on Steam that I already own have about 5-6 shooters with active communities installed and running.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:02:55 AM by Malakili »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7544 on: June 25, 2011, 06:38:44 AM

Unless you hate WoW and elves.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7545 on: June 25, 2011, 07:19:28 AM

Unless you hate WoW and elves.

This is true, but I really only think that is going to get you so far.  I mean, the people we're hypothetically talking about, who would be potentially dissuaded from buying TOR because of a WoW patch probably don't hate WoW and elves.  If wanting something other than fantasy is your main criterion, then no WoW patch is going to matter, but WoW certainly isn't aiming at that demographic with their patch anyway.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7546 on: June 25, 2011, 07:32:44 AM

This is true, but I really only think that is going to get you so far.  I mean, the people we're hypothetically talking about, who would be potentially dissuaded from buying TOR because of a WoW patch probably don't hate WoW and elves. 

SWTOR isn't going to lose much to a WoW patch though.   It's the shitty games like WAR and AoC that had to actually worry about that.
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #7547 on: June 25, 2011, 07:54:47 AM

Just watched the Tatooine Developer Walkthrough. Pooping a speeder bothers me. Much prefer the SWG system.

Agreed. SWG did a lot of things very well and while I understand that SWTOR is not that game, BW have touted taking the best from current MMORPG's - yet they seem to have excluded obvious and widely applauded SWG systems from their cherry-picking. To my mind they should have lifted space and crafting from SWG. Heigh-ho.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #7548 on: June 25, 2011, 09:00:19 AM

I hope and pray that Bioware continues to ignore suggestions from Bloodworth and the rest of the sad "haven't gotten over the NGE" crowd.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7549 on: June 25, 2011, 09:03:03 AM

I hope and pray that Bioware continues to ignore suggestions from Bloodworth and the rest of the sad "haven't gotten over the NGE" crowd.

You really don't have anything to worry about.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7550 on: June 25, 2011, 09:46:27 AM

BW have touted taking the best from current MMORPG's
That's dev talk for WoW.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7551 on: June 25, 2011, 11:04:36 AM

This is true, but I really only think that is going to get you so far.  I mean, the people we're hypothetically talking about, who would be potentially dissuaded from buying TOR because of a WoW patch probably don't hate WoW and elves. 

SWTOR isn't going to lose much to a WoW patch though.   It's the shitty games like WAR and AoC that had to actually worry about that.

I'm not saying it won't be a fun game but I think it's way too early to be putting swtor on this kind of pedestle.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7552 on: June 25, 2011, 01:37:36 PM

This is true, but I really only think that is going to get you so far.  I mean, the people we're hypothetically talking about, who would be potentially dissuaded from buying TOR because of a WoW patch probably don't hate WoW and elves.

SWTOR isn't going to lose much to a WoW patch though.   It's the shitty games like WAR and AoC that had to actually worry about that.

That was my point, yes. The box sales of those games showed plenty of people are willing to drop 50 bucks on a new MMO. Patches to WoW emptying out those games showed they were Not Good Enough.

EDIT: Well, minus the "SWTOR won't lose to a patch" part. It has to be good to not lose. I think it will be, but if it's not, it goes in the "you had no fucking business releasing, then" pile.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:39:24 PM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7553 on: June 25, 2011, 03:11:42 PM

I'm not saying it won't be a fun game but I think it's way too early to be putting swtor on this kind of pedestle.

Actually I'm not really saying SWTOR is going to be amazing with that.   I'm more saying WoW is kind of screwed up right now and I don't really believe they have enough time to unfuck it in a single patch 4~5 months from now.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7554 on: June 25, 2011, 05:06:06 PM

Man I hope you don't need to buy every incremental speeder bike and can skip ahead if you horde your cash. Even with the video editing there was just too much time spent on a speeder, especially at halfway through the levels. Reminded me of what it felt like to be running in Rift.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7555 on: June 25, 2011, 05:17:33 PM

How does GW2 handle it? Their design decisions seem to be based on not annoying their customers.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #7556 on: June 25, 2011, 06:22:25 PM

Man I hope you don't need to buy every incremental speeder bike and can skip ahead if you horde your cash. Even with the video editing there was just too much time spent on a speeder, especially at halfway through the levels. Reminded me of what it felt like to be running in Rift.

I'll take that speeder at launch, I still remember running across the damn planets in SWG.  Now that was migraine inducing.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7557 on: June 25, 2011, 06:50:26 PM

Even worse if you weren't a Scout.  (Thank the Maker I was.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7558 on: June 25, 2011, 07:28:54 PM

I'll take that speeder at launch, I still remember running across the damn planets in SWG.  Now that was migraine inducing.

Well, ok, I'm with you there. But if we go down this path, this is the very reason I became a Bard in EQ1  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7559 on: June 26, 2011, 06:49:13 AM

How does GW2 handle it? Their design decisions seem to be based on not annoying their customers.
It looks like you pull up the map and click on a marker and it instantly loads and takes you there.  It's hard to tell if that's just 'demo power' or if it's how travel will be handled in general.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: