Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:32:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2137485 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7455 on: June 23, 2011, 11:23:20 AM

2) Expansions, how the hell will they successfully do expansions to this game?
This is something I have been sort of wondering about myself.  Do they have all their VAs on extended contracts so that no one can back out in three years?  What happens if someone gets hit by a bus?  

I guess the only thing I can think of is that they have made a conscious decision to cross that bridge when they get to it.  It will be a little weird to have your characters voice change when you ding 51 if you've just spent a year or more listening to him/her but if they can swap Darrens or Beckys between seasons without everyone freaking out maybe it doesn't really matter.

Kinda like how there's 3-4 different Gandalfs across the expansions and patches?   awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #7456 on: June 23, 2011, 11:24:09 AM

I would have never imagined I would be in on launch day, given all I know and say about MMO's.
Don't think of it as a MMO, think of it as a bioware game with diku-style combat.

Most people don't play these things as multiplayer games anyway. That's the secret to WoW's initial success, the solo leveling-up game is awesome, always moving on to explore new fresh content, and there's plenty of it. When you hit max level, maybe you quit, maybe you start raiding, maybe you PvP, but all of those are entirely different games than leveling-up.

I wouldn't expect SWTOR to be any different-- from what I've read they don't have a brilliant innovative answer for the elder game, they've just improved that leveling experience by acknowledging that, yeah, it's really a single-player game, and bioware makes awesome story-based single-player RPGs, so make a bunch of them and use that.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:25:46 AM by sam, an eggplant »
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #7457 on: June 23, 2011, 11:51:09 AM

PA just put up a post about swtor.  My wife got into beta and she emphatically agrees with the assessment(which was positive).
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7458 on: June 23, 2011, 11:52:26 AM

PA just put up a post about swtor.  My wife got into beta and she emphatically agrees with the assessment(which was positive).

Facepalm

-Rasix
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7459 on: June 23, 2011, 11:58:31 AM

Facepalm

Pre-emptive excuse of "I can't be expected to read 200+ pages of  swamp poop." here.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #7460 on: June 23, 2011, 12:35:41 PM

This is something I have been sort of wondering about myself.  Do they have all their VAs on extended contracts so that no one can back out in three years?  What happens if someone gets hit by a bus?  

The same thing that happens if someone gets hit by a bus before Mass Effect 3 is finished I guess, or the same thing that would happen if Daniel Radcliffe had been hit by a bus somewhere between Harry Potter's 1 and 8.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7461 on: June 23, 2011, 12:40:16 PM

I'm ready to preorder this myself. I only have a few remaining worries at this point:

1) End game. All they've mentioned is raiding or pvp. Both of them have little long term interest for me.
3) Other players. I want to do the story. I won't be skipping cutscenes or anything of the sort. I worry that the game will be filled with typical MMO players going "hurry up dude and just click kill him" or whatever. For this reason I suspect I will pug much less in this game than in previous games.

1) Daily repeatables are in there too.  But they claim that their PvP and raiding will be "sooooooo awsome".
2) Probably just like any other MMO at this point...but with a story  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
3) The consensus I'm seeing is BW wants those typical MMO players to go DIAF.  Story is what's driving this game, and they aren't bending just yet to those people.

1) they can make them as awesome as they want but I get very, very bored grinding a raid over and over. I just don't have enough mouse in me to get enjoyment out of hitting the pedal to maybe get 1/8th of a piece of cheese if I beat the other mice to it. I generally suck at pvp. I play it for awhile but get bored/pissed when I can't hit the guy spazzing around me in tight circles.
2) Yes but the story will mean expansions will either A) have subpar stories, think the DA expansion compared to DA:O or will be on a time table more akin to Blizzard's than to other MMOS.
3) I agree with BW. My big worry is the forums will fill with these guys whining "I had to wait 5 minutes for another player to listen to the cutscene. WTF?" and it may have some kind of in-game effect after the EA suits get worried about retention of these people.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7462 on: June 23, 2011, 12:42:52 PM

Pre-emptive excuse of "I can't be expected to read 200+ pages of  swamp poop." here.
But it's so fun to read the older parts of the thread.
From the same article:

We're not talking about any of that today, of course. The even bigger questions, such as whether complex storylines and AI buddies will work in MMOs, won't be answered until the game is released - and that could be years from now.

SWOR, the hottest MMO of 2011!  why so serious?
why so serious?
That of course is the problem itself and the reason saying nothing at all is better than the bits they've said so far.
Ordinarily I'd agree, but this is Star Wars, so they have to give us plenty of time to reach page 100.
I think I linked to my first post in the thread when someone mentioned people getting more cynical as the thread went on:
Star Wars MMO? Eh, why bother? It's an mmo. Just put your balls in a vice and throw in the New Hope DVD.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #7463 on: June 23, 2011, 01:02:18 PM

Facepalm

Yeah, but I probably should have read the previous page!  Mea culpa.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #7464 on: June 23, 2011, 01:16:50 PM

I'm ready to preorder this myself. I only have a few remaining worries at this point:

1) End game. All they've mentioned is raiding or pvp. Both of them have little long term interest for me.
3) Other players. I want to do the story. I won't be skipping cutscenes or anything of the sort. I worry that the game will be filled with typical MMO players going "hurry up dude and just click kill him" or whatever. For this reason I suspect I will pug much less in this game than in previous games.

1) Daily repeatables are in there too.  But they claim that their PvP and raiding will be "sooooooo awsome".
2) Probably just like any other MMO at this point...but with a story  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
3) The consensus I'm seeing is BW wants those typical MMO players to go DIAF.  Story is what's driving this game, and they aren't bending just yet to those people.

1) they can make them as awesome as they want but I get very, very bored grinding a raid over and over. I just don't have enough mouse in me to get enjoyment out of hitting the pedal to maybe get 1/8th of a piece of cheese if I beat the other mice to it. I generally suck at pvp. I play it for awhile but get bored/pissed when I can't hit the guy spazzing around me in tight circles.
So what would you like as an endgame instead? Not being sarcastic, I'd like to know.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7465 on: June 23, 2011, 01:29:41 PM

1) Daily repeatables are in there too.  But they claim that their PvP and raiding will be "sooooooo awsome".
2) Probably just like any other MMO at this point...but with a story  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
3) The consensus I'm seeing is BW wants those typical MMO players to go DIAF.  Story is what's driving this game, and they aren't bending just yet to those people.

So what would you like as an endgame instead? Not being sarcastic, I'd like to know.

Well, here is how I usually do things at End Game:

1) Run a raid or two on occasion, generally with the hope of getting a title and maybe getting lucky on a roll. Note this is usually after said Raids have become PUGable since I never seem to get into a guild that is large enough to do raids.
2) Try pvp. Get spanked and irritated by people running in circles around me. Stop after a week or two. Note that I usually play melee classes which is code for "target" in most Pvp setups unless you're a master of the running in circles around people thing I mentioned.
3) Finish up stuff I wanted to do while leveling but didn't. In LOTRO this was deed grinding, rep grinding, going back to old instances I missed "just because", running skirmishes, etc.
4) Get bored and unsubscribe until an expansion comes out.

MMOS almost always bore me at the end game. I suspect TOR will do the same. Thankfully with the story I will be slower to get there and also will end up playing other  alts as well which I usally don't do.

Speaking of LOTRO, I'd love it if their repeatable dailies were similar to the LOTRO skirmish system. Mini instanced battles that give rewards which can be bartered for other stuff.

Edit: TLDR version: I don't know. I have never been satisfied with MMO endgames and I'd love TOR to be different but don't think it will be. The one game that has come closest for me is LOTRO.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:32:33 PM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #7466 on: June 23, 2011, 01:39:03 PM

My plan for endgame is just to roll an alt. If SWTOR has something other than that for me to do that I'd actually enjoy I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7467 on: June 23, 2011, 01:52:45 PM

The only games that have good endgames are non-diku. That's where the diku/EQ style progression breaks down...because it's all about progression.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #7468 on: June 23, 2011, 01:57:28 PM

The only games that have good endgames are non-diku.

Such as.......?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7469 on: June 23, 2011, 01:57:47 PM

Was about to say, why does it need an end game? But that covers it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #7470 on: June 23, 2011, 02:12:32 PM

re-running everything again, but as a girl troll, is also a frequent end game.  Some titles are built around just alts.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7471 on: June 23, 2011, 04:37:04 PM

All I can say is I'm definitely preordering.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7472 on: June 23, 2011, 05:25:48 PM

While that's a very positive review it's not very in depth. It really boils down to gabe saying "I really like this game and remember, its still beta!"

which means as always, there are issues. The question is, will this year be enough time to iron out all the wrinkles?

I'm gonna buy this game, play it and enjoy it but past the first month? All depends on how 'done' it is.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7473 on: June 23, 2011, 05:35:28 PM

While that's a very positive review it's not very in depth. It really boils down to gabe saying "I really like this game and remember, its still beta!"

which means as always, there are issues. The question is, will this year be enough time to iron out all the wrinkles?

I'm gonna buy this game, play it and enjoy it but past the first month? All depends on how 'done' it is.

Thats actually one of the advantages to this game actually.  If this was *just* DIKU Star Wars I'd honestly probably not care.  But they really have done a lot towards winning me over with the Bioware story/RPG thing because I figure that just for that its probably going to be worth the box price, where as most MMORPGs don't seem worth that to me (see: Rift).  If they manage to pull me in with the MMO stuff and keep me around (and others), they have a good shot at a lot of subs.  Then again, thats not particularly unique in the MMO space, most of them seem to sell a lot of boxes.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #7474 on: June 23, 2011, 06:25:06 PM

The same thing that happens if someone gets hit by a bus before Mass Effect 3 is finished I guess, or the same thing that would happen if Daniel Radcliffe had been hit by a bus somewhere between Harry Potter's 1 and 8.

Or if the guy who plays Dumbledore croaks?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7475 on: June 23, 2011, 06:37:43 PM

So Penny Arcade sort of seals the deal on SW:TOR giving WoW at least a very hard kick in the nuts.   What I'm more confused about at this point is there's nothing really coming out in the media about Blizzard's plans.  In the past they've always been fairly competent at pulling something out of their pocket to at least steal some spotlight back.   This time it's like they don't even think anything is going to happen.

Then again, thats not particularly unique in the MMO space, most of them seem to sell a lot of boxes.

A lot of them have really poor pull in the start of the game though. DIKU has always had a huge problem with "the game doesn't even start till you're max level".    With SW:TOR if the single player just sort of floats you to max level without you even noticing it then that's a large advantage.   At max level you have a lot of investment in your character and the community.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:41:55 PM by Amaron »
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #7476 on: June 23, 2011, 06:45:01 PM

I assume you're ignoring the boss-on-the-box raid patch for Cataclysm, Diablo III, and Starcraft II: The Zergening.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7477 on: June 23, 2011, 06:45:48 PM

So Penny Arcade sort of seals the deal on SW:TOR giving WoW at least a very hard kick in the nuts.   What I'm more confused about at this point is there's nothing really coming out in the media about Blizzard's plans.  In the past they've always been fairly competent at pulling something out of their pocket to at least steal some spotlight back.   This time it's like they don't even think anything is going to happen.

Which is probably one reason why BW's been keeping their release date so close to the chest.  Just look at how Rift and WoW have been arming up their content patches this month.  ActiBliz is afraid...they probably have a weapon ready, but without a date to compete with, they're having trouble setting up their own time-tables.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #7478 on: June 23, 2011, 06:52:15 PM

I assume you're ignoring the boss-on-the-box raid patch for Cataclysm, Diablo III, and Starcraft II: The Zergening.
It took them like 6 months and change to get to the SECOND tier of raiding in Cataclysm. Well wait, Firelands isn't even out yet. So possibly 7 months! Unless they turn around and drop the Deathwing raid in another 5-6 months (meaning the expansion is pretty much over) they've got nothing WoW-wise to counter-release. I don't think SC2 scratches the same itch as SWTOR. D3? Maybe.

As for SWTOR, the graphics look fine to me. Stylized, like WoW which holds up pretty well today if you ask me (and it holds up better than EQ2/etc ever did).

I'm officially in. Launch is going to be a hilarious clusterfuck but I'm kinda used to that at this point.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7479 on: June 23, 2011, 06:53:56 PM

I'll go out on a limb and say that within 72 hours of TOR's release date being revealed, Project Titan will be unveiled as well.   awesome, for real

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #7480 on: June 23, 2011, 07:06:07 PM

I'll go out on a limb and say that within 72 hours of TOR's release date being revealed, Project Titan will be unveiled as well.   awesome, for real
I don't know if a non-product will somehow hurt SWTOR's sub numbers. It's Blizzard; people will be like, "Man that's gonna be fucking awesome when it comes out like 5 years from now!" and play whatever else in the meanwhile.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7481 on: June 23, 2011, 07:07:25 PM

We'll all be to busy romancing Bastila 2.0 to care.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7482 on: June 23, 2011, 07:09:16 PM

By "plan's" I meant "stuff that will come out in time to protect our nuts from SW:TOR".    Boss patch as usual isn't really a plan.
Rasix

Reply #7483 on: June 23, 2011, 07:11:15 PM

Other two games don't even compete in the same space for me. And yah, WoW has a lot of convincing to do in order get me to come back this time.  I don't raid and you're going to compete with my Star-Wars-Shep? HAH.

-Rasix
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7484 on: June 23, 2011, 08:08:56 PM

Is everyone forgetting they haven't announced Diablo 3 release yet.  Blizzard holds the biggest card this year in their hands, they just haven't played it yet. 
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #7485 on: June 23, 2011, 08:24:12 PM

Well, that's sort of locked into early the first half of 2012 unless they're willing to step on another big Activision release to get a spot closer to the holidays.  Maybe squeeze it in between SC2's expansion and MW3?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:29:29 PM by caladein »

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7486 on: June 23, 2011, 09:02:27 PM

Beta would be sufficient to steal some thunder.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7487 on: June 23, 2011, 09:11:32 PM

My plan for endgame is just to roll an alt.

Ayep.

God Save the Horn Players
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7488 on: June 23, 2011, 09:25:06 PM

Beta would be sufficient to steal some thunder.

A D3 beta would have to be quite limited though.  Plus phat lewts farming is sort of no fun looking down the barrel of a beta wipe.   I'm thinking maybe Blizz/Activision just has their pants down.  They shifted too many people to Titan and EA has surprised them with the earlier release.  
Rasix

Reply #7489 on: June 23, 2011, 09:36:40 PM

My plan for endgame is just to roll an alt.

Ayep.

I'm almost frightened at the amount of hours you will put into this one. I won't be able to gasp at it sufficiently if it's not offered on Steam, however.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: