Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:43:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2137475 times)
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1855 on: July 20, 2009, 06:17:56 PM

Drawing any population-wide conclusions from Hellgate out of all things seems a little preposterous.
Phunked
Terracotta Army

Reply #1856 on: July 20, 2009, 06:35:12 PM

They could cite WAR instead. Though I remember all of us foaming at the mouth for Hellgate pretty badly!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1857 on: July 20, 2009, 06:38:43 PM

Not all of us.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1858 on: July 20, 2009, 06:39:32 PM

Hmm there's many things that come to mind about WAR but Massively Singleplayer isn't one of them. But then again, i only checked an early bit of it in the open beta, maybe it does get like that later swamp poop
Phunked
Terracotta Army

Reply #1859 on: July 20, 2009, 06:41:00 PM

I rolled at release and by tier 3 I was running into maybe 10 other per zone and very few in the level bracket in general. A lot of them were very spread out across the giant ass zones. Perhaps that was my experience, but I certainly did not have an abundance of people around.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1860 on: July 20, 2009, 08:18:01 PM

As long as you can play with your friends and chat with your guild, it'll be fine as far as the social aspects go. 

The additional twist to the social game is that team decisions can (as described) change your character's alignment, so the whole social aspect of teaming suddenly can be a lot more important. You'll need to be able to trust your team to do something other than do DPS.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1861 on: July 20, 2009, 08:26:52 PM

As long as you can play with your friends and chat with your guild, it'll be fine as far as the social aspects go. 

The additional twist to the social game is that team decisions can (as described) change your character's alignment, so the whole social aspect of teaming suddenly can be a lot more important. You'll need to be able to trust your team to do something other than do DPS.

I don't trust a pug to do something besides dps. The team decisions means very little for a group a friends.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1862 on: July 20, 2009, 08:57:41 PM

Well, the gameplay in KOTOR sucked.

The story was good, sure.  Combat?  Not so much. 

If KOTOR had Jedi Knight combat, it would have been awesome.

Having just played through KOTOR I have to say that the story is pretty shitty too. And Linear. With hardly any replay value (clicking different text responses is not my idea of a 'totally different story'. It's the same shitty linear story except you're good/evil. OMG novelty!)

SWTOR is going to suck*.

(*Though it might end up sucking like WoW sucked... and be popular in spite of it)
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1863 on: July 20, 2009, 10:44:43 PM

Forgot to mention that I am interested how, in the backstory, they will explain why every single human in the galaxy has Down Syndrome or some other chromosomal disorder affecting the face. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1864 on: July 20, 2009, 11:20:06 PM

If it's truly an MMO, according to what I'm hearing here, people won't care about the decisions because those are just story.  They'll click through the responses as fast as possible since that gets in the way of their MMO-ness.  Should that decision actually make a difference, whatever consequences they might bring won't matter as MMO players will have the optimal course already plotted, so again, it's insignificant.

More seriously, I doubt Bioware is aiming at only the MMO market.  Outside of WoW, it's still tiny compared to the people who might want an "MMO-lite" where they can swing light sabers around a co-op mission in the Star Wars universe.  That other people are around sometimes is just a bonus.  They're aiming for more than traditional MMO players.  A lot of people here seem a little too invested in what they personally want than what makes business sense.  WTF would they limit their market to the flights of fancy of MMO players?  With a Star Wars title?  Please.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1865 on: July 20, 2009, 11:24:06 PM

Ok can some grammar nerd please tell me which of 'an MMO' or 'a MMO' is correct? I must know.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1866 on: July 20, 2009, 11:28:17 PM

Having played MMOs for a decade now, as many here have, I'm pretty sick and tired of MMOers in general.  If SWOR wants to aim at establishing a new breed of MMOer, more power too them.  Complaints from the other side of the fence is only encouraging, as the more they complain hoq it isn't a 'true' MMO, the less likely I'll have to put up with their shit in game (including design decisions to appease them.)

I originally got into MMOs because it's "D&D online!  Anytime!"  Sadly, even DDO failed to create that.  I barely made it past the 'culture shock' roaming around EQ.  What was the point?  Eventually I settled my grievances, but I would love to see these games move back to the RPG they've been neglecting for so long.  

Edit:
Ok can some grammar nerd please tell me which of 'an MMO' or 'a MMO' is correct? I must know.

If the acronym is sounded out like a word, such as NASA, then usual rules apply as if that acronym were actually a word.  Acronyms like MMO, which are just saying the letters Em Em Oh, are treated by the sound of the first letter.  If it sounds like a vowel, you use AN; otherwise A.

Thus, "an em em oh" is the correct choice, unless you have downs syndrome and call it "a mmmmoh."
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 11:34:16 PM by Bzalthek »

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1867 on: July 21, 2009, 12:05:38 AM

Completely on a side note. Looking at that video, I see all the Macs being used by the scripting guys and I bet this bitch is still gonna be PC only.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1868 on: July 21, 2009, 12:12:08 AM

I'll shed tears for the MAC users who bought their computers to game right after I help evangelicals who move to the Castro and are shocked when their children must walk past gay sex shops. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
kondratti
Terracotta Army

Reply #1869 on: July 21, 2009, 12:28:27 AM

If it's truly an MMO, according to what I'm hearing here, people won't care about the decisions because those are just story.  They'll click through the responses as fast as possible since that gets in the way of their MMO-ness.  Should that decision actually make a difference, whatever consequences they might bring won't matter as MMO players will have the optimal course already plotted, so again, it's insignificant.

In the ROK expansion in EQ2, in one of the quests, the 2 responses to one of the NPCs were, "OK, I will give you 500g to do that" and "Just do it or I will kill you!".... loads of us paid 500g for no reason.  Guess just the devs having fun with us racing through the content.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1870 on: July 21, 2009, 12:50:26 AM

I'll shed tears for the MAC users who bought their computers to game right after I help evangelicals who move to the Castro and are shocked when their children must walk past gay sex shops. 

The fact that you spelled "Mac" with all capitals would tell me everything I needed to know about you if I didn't already know enough.

And not to turn this into a Mac/'doze limp-wristed slapfight, but seriously, it's not that goddamn hard anymore.

Back on the topic at hand; since the vast, unwashed majority of MMO players are fucking idiots. If this game attracts a new type of player, I'm all for it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Phunked
Terracotta Army

Reply #1871 on: July 21, 2009, 07:25:37 AM

Back on the topic at hand; since the vast, unwashed majority of MMO players are fucking idiots. If this game attracts a new type of player, I'm all for it.

There are worse things than unwashed MMO fucktards.

Unwashed "want to be able to solo everything" fucktards who complain about the lore are just one example.

The point isn't so much in creating products which somehow selectively filter 99% of humanity (this is bad business sense) but probably towards making an experience where the natural tendencies of these people to act like idiots are somehow moderated to be less annoying.

How you do that, I have no fucking clue, but if you figure it out, please do tell so I can go off and become filthy rich by stealing your idea.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1872 on: July 21, 2009, 07:29:30 AM

Completely on a side note. Looking at that video, I see all the Macs being used by the scripting guys and I bet this bitch is still gonna be PC only.
If they were using typewriters instead you'd bet the game wouldn't make it to that particular hardware, either...

more seriously though they're using directX for the graphics so, welp.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1873 on: July 21, 2009, 07:33:53 AM

There are more gamers who don't play WoW then there gamers who do. Simply if SWTOR wishes to aim for those players, all power to them, however good luck getting the God of War guys to grind for a new lightsaber that has a miss chance. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1874 on: July 21, 2009, 10:45:30 AM

The point isn't so much in creating products which somehow selectively filter 99% of humanity (this is bad business sense) but probably towards making an experience where the natural tendencies of these people to act like idiots are somehow moderated to be less annoying.

How you do that, I have no fucking clue, but if you figure it out, please do tell so I can go off and become filthy rich by stealing your idea.
You put them in their own instances where they cannot affect your game play.

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1875 on: July 21, 2009, 12:02:35 PM

Forgot to mention that I am interested how, in the backstory, they will explain why every single human in the galaxy has Down Syndrome or some other chromosomal disorder affecting the face. 

It's the midichorins.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Phunked
Terracotta Army

Reply #1876 on: July 21, 2009, 03:01:34 PM

You put them in their own instances where they cannot affect your game play.

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

I thought we called that single player?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1877 on: July 21, 2009, 03:04:37 PM

Not if they're in that instance together.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1878 on: July 21, 2009, 03:43:55 PM

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 03:46:41 PM by Fordel »

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1879 on: July 21, 2009, 03:46:39 PM

If ever there were someone that needed to get laid more than anyone else on the planet earth, the original poster is that someone.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1880 on: July 21, 2009, 03:48:54 PM

I really hope the cover system pans out, since I'm such a sucker for peeking around corners like in MassEffect or Gears. Seeing my character actually preform the cover animations actually makes it more fun for me, for whatever reason.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1881 on: July 21, 2009, 05:13:37 PM

If ever there were someone that needed to get laid more than anyone else on the planet earth, the original poster is that someone.
I prefer to think this is natural selection working as intended.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1882 on: July 21, 2009, 07:53:16 PM

I prefer to think this is natural selection working as intended.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #1883 on: July 21, 2009, 09:23:25 PM

Who's the lucky lady who gets to jump on that grenade?

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #1884 on: July 21, 2009, 09:35:42 PM

Who's the lucky lady who gets to jump on that grenade?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1885 on: July 22, 2009, 08:07:31 AM

On the bright side, credits for kills!  It's like that time when Obi-Wan killed Darth Maul and got 10 credits for his trouble.  Qui-Gon never finished that corpse run.

Sith work like WoW Rogues, Smugglers get weird cover indicators everywhere, Bounty Hunters start with full mana or whatever, symbols replace exclamation marks, the Persuade skill returns from everything Bioware has ever done, global cooldowns, etc.  Pretty much WoW in SPACCCCEEEEEE!

Still no confirmed player aliens, but the game looks rather far along.  If they didn't have to create so much damn content, they could probably release earlier.

EDIT: JESUS.  47 PAGES IN 4 DAYS?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 08:09:11 AM by AutomaticZen »
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1886 on: July 22, 2009, 08:53:02 AM

Caveats about the alpha gameplay on display notwithstanding, I was disappointed with the Jedi combat - player stands infront of NPC waving his lightsaber about, sparks fly, NPC falls over. Lightsabers in particular need a fatality system like AoC - just look at the movies:

Star Wars movie body part removals (that i can remember):

Ep I - Darth Maul cut in half...

Ep II - Anakin's hand lopped off...

Ep III - Dooku's hands and head cut off, Mace Windu's hand lopped off, Anakin's arms and legs cut off...

Ep IV -  Alien's arm cut off...

Ep V - Snowbeasties arm cut off, Luke's hand cut off...

Ep VI -  Vader's hand cut off...

If these are acceptable in the movies they should also be doable in the game without the need for an 18 cert like AoC. I'm sure there'll be no tits 'n' ass in TOR, and LS / blasters can cauterize.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 01:25:21 PM by VainEldritch »

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1887 on: July 22, 2009, 11:13:34 AM

If these are acceptable in the movies they should also be doable in the game without the need for an 18 cert like AoC. I'm sure there'll be no tits 'n' ass in TOR, and LS / blasters can cauterize.

Yah, you'd figure with the grittiness of the KOTOR 'verse that they'd embrace the Mature rating and just cut loose... especially after the gruesomeness of ep.3.
Juuuust when you think Lucas learns his lesson, it's back to Ewoks and Gungans.  They'd sell more boxes with limb-removal and space pr0n than telling a story anyways.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1888 on: July 22, 2009, 08:28:04 PM

One of you has to be wrong, right?

If I was talking about single-player games and not "MMO's" that have absurdly minimal actual populous interaction, yes..
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1889 on: July 22, 2009, 11:14:27 PM

They'd sell more boxes with limb-removal and space pr0n than telling a story anyways.

I don't think you've ever seen Star Wars based on that answer.

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: