Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 09:22:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2137635 times)
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1435 on: June 10, 2009, 07:31:29 PM

I predict that in an effort to bend over backwards to make sure Jedi/Sith aren't the "best" classes, they will be the most underpowered and totally useless in PvP at launch.  The best class will be something like Smuggler, because they will beef up the most obscure classes and forget to remove the ability to attack while remaining stealthed  Ohhhhh, I see.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1436 on: June 10, 2009, 07:33:08 PM

If Jedi / Sith are overpowered, players will complain.

If Jedi / Sith aren't overpowered, SW fanbois / those who only watch the movies will complain.

Welcome to hell, BioWare. Welcome. To. Hell.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1437 on: June 10, 2009, 08:19:05 PM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1438 on: June 10, 2009, 11:24:52 PM

If Jedi / Sith are overpowered, players the four people who aren't playing them will complain.
FIFY

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1439 on: June 10, 2009, 11:50:30 PM

My personal thanks to Lum for bringing this to my attention.
 DRILLING AND MANLINESS why so serious? DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 03:26:33 AM by UnSub »

Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #1440 on: June 10, 2009, 11:58:46 PM

If I were to read just the quote boxes, it reads like some 14 year old moderating his PVP guild forums during a hissy fit.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1441 on: June 11, 2009, 12:01:36 AM

If I were to read just the quote boxes, it reads like some 14 year old moderating his PVP guild forums during a hissy fit.
If you read the whole thing, it reads like some 14 year old moderating his PVP guild forums during a hissy fit.
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #1442 on: June 11, 2009, 12:02:59 AM

If you read the whole thing, it reads like some 14 year old moderating his PVP guild forums during a hissy fit.

True, but at least I can lie to myself and pretend this guy isn't getting paid for it my way.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1443 on: June 11, 2009, 12:49:37 AM

Its so much worse than it first appears on Lums blog. He has to be piss drunk.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1444 on: June 11, 2009, 06:57:15 AM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS why so serious? DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I saw that entry yesterday, but didn't actually read through all of it. I just did.  ACK!
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #1445 on: June 11, 2009, 12:58:55 PM

I'm pretty sure that there was already a 100 page thread about that other SW game in the Graveyard, which was currently discussing forum meltdowns and Community reps.

What does this have to do with Old Republic (Shadowbane)?

It's a great lesson how not to do CM, but other than that it likely doesn't belong here.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1446 on: June 11, 2009, 03:52:52 PM

Relax, said the night man
We are, programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1447 on: June 11, 2009, 07:10:46 PM

The common theme is that it's a Star Wars MMO and forum drama brought on by bad CM decisions. Besides, there isn't anything else to say about SWOR at this point in time.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1448 on: June 14, 2009, 02:46:52 PM

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 02:55:12 PM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1449 on: June 14, 2009, 02:51:12 PM

Quote from: That link
introduces the first cover system in an MMO. The game will dynamically assign nearby points of cover, allowing players to jump behind objects during firefights.

Or to put it another way, OMG! Not quite Collision detection!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 02:57:38 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1450 on: June 14, 2009, 03:16:26 PM

I'll tell you what, it does make the common MMO fight look significantly more cinematic. Enthusiasm rising. Also Check out that 3rd outfit under "outfitting"
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #1451 on: June 14, 2009, 03:43:08 PM

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1452 on: June 14, 2009, 03:46:17 PM

I'm digging the shit out of that hat.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1453 on: June 14, 2009, 04:07:52 PM

I'll tell you what, it does make the common MMO fight look significantly more cinematic. Enthusiasm rising.

I dunno, it looked fairly run of the mill to me.  Hell, turn off the UI in any MMO and it'll look more cinematic.  I'll admit the cover helps a bit, but other than that I didn't see much that was drastically different.  Its own spin on MMO combat, perhaps, but I wouldn't say significantly more cinematic.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1454 on: June 14, 2009, 04:32:19 PM

Looked exactly like post nge swg to me.

This cover system will translate into 'stand here for +10% chance to dodge'.

And I'm also really hoping they plan to work some more on those animations.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1455 on: June 14, 2009, 06:45:23 PM

introduces the first cover system in an MMO. The game will dynamically assign nearby points of cover, allowing players to jump behind objects during firefights.

Not really, no.  Stargate Worlds had it in a 'round about way.  TOR looks to have nodes that you snap to/from for cover, whereas SGW just had objects that provided varying degrees of damage mitigation.

If an MMO introduces a true cover system like whats in Mass Effect, Gears of War, Rainbow 6, Uncharted and others, I'd be in absolute heaven.  But I suppose that MMO would have to be gun based rather than casting a fireball from ones ass.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1456 on: June 14, 2009, 07:02:31 PM

Not really, no.  Stargate Worlds had it in a 'round about way.  TOR looks to have nodes that you snap to/from for cover, whereas SGW just had objects that provided varying degrees of damage mitigation.

If an MMO introduces a true cover system like whats in Mass Effect, Gears of War, Rainbow 6, Uncharted and others, I'd be in absolute heaven.  But I suppose that MMO would have to be gun based rather than casting a fireball from ones ass.

I would say that any potential MMOFPS has a build in cover system called hiding behind things.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1457 on: June 14, 2009, 07:08:54 PM

I'm wondering how a "cover" system like that would work in PvP.  Staying stationary in PvP is usually bad. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1458 on: June 14, 2009, 07:20:05 PM

I would say that any potential MMOFPS has a build in cover system called hiding behind things.

Yes. But that doesn't apply to TOR.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1459 on: June 14, 2009, 08:01:08 PM

I should have elaborated.  I want the animations of my character leaning against the wall/rock/whatever and either blind firing over or around it, or popping out for a headshot.  It already exists in FPS, but there's no reason it couldnt be applied to an MMO (FPS or otherwise).  It just requires the right setting (guns instead of fireballs).
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1460 on: June 14, 2009, 08:02:20 PM

I love that in the last part of that clip the character is standing to the side of an obstacle rather than behind it and is still in cover.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1461 on: June 14, 2009, 08:34:39 PM

I should have elaborated.  I want the animations of my character leaning against the wall/rock/whatever and either blind firing over or around it, or popping out for a headshot.  It already exists in FPS, but there's no reason it couldnt be applied to an MMO (FPS or otherwise).  It just requires the right setting (guns instead of fireballs).

I think GTA IV had an excellent cover system actually, something like that would be nice.  I guess that is kind of a shooter (in those instances when you are in cover), but it does have the toggle hiding/animation stuff.  I'm not so sure it would work quite as well in a turn based combat system, or at least that it feel quite right in that scenario.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1462 on: June 14, 2009, 09:09:26 PM

Must be missing something here because the "cover system" has already been implemented in quite a few MMOs i think, simply through the line of sight checks that prevent using skills/abilities on people hiding behind walls, trees and shit. OK so there's no dedicated animation for wall humping when you are in a spot that provides such cover, but actual functionality isn't exactly new?
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1463 on: June 14, 2009, 09:13:12 PM

OK so there's no dedicated animation for wall humping when you are in a spot that provides such cover,

I think that's the feature people are jonesing for.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1464 on: June 14, 2009, 09:18:22 PM

wall humping

I think this illustrates exactly why most people don't like modern implementation of cover.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1465 on: June 14, 2009, 09:38:25 PM

Most people don't like the modern implementation of cover?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1466 on: June 15, 2009, 05:34:20 AM

Most people talk out of their ass and then say things like, 'most people' as though they had done a survey so that their silly opinion sounds credible.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1467 on: June 15, 2009, 05:50:26 AM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1468 on: June 15, 2009, 08:03:37 AM

The more I see screens and video from this title, the more I enjoy the art style they have chosen.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1469 on: June 15, 2009, 08:09:32 AM

The more I see screens and video from this title, the more I enjoy the art style they have chosen.

I like it in that the style implies the game has quick and exciting action.  Hopefully, it actually does.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: