Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:41:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 673226 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1330 on: January 12, 2017, 02:43:28 PM

WayAbvPar

Reply #1331 on: January 12, 2017, 02:57:01 PM

My goal is to have a pimped out combat ship, a pimped out trading ship, and a pimped out exploring ship eventually. Then I can fuck around and do whatever sounds like fun, and leave ships scattered across the galaxy like discarded Hot Wheels  awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1332 on: January 13, 2017, 01:16:08 AM

Yeah, that was my goal too and I'm two thirds of the way there.

Saw two passenger missions last night for scary amounts of money - totalled together it would be about 100 million.  Jesus Fuck, I thought, I must get into the passenger game.

Then I looked at the destination they wanted to go to (they both wanted to go to the exact same place, which piqued my interest) and it was 22,000 ly away.  That's over 800 jumps even in my Aspy.

So, sure, it would leap you right into the money, but 800 jumps in my trader would be 800k per jump.  It's all baffling how it works.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1333 on: January 13, 2017, 03:00:26 AM

I splashed out (20 euros) on a voice pack for Elite dangerous yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDkC0GORdQ8

Its very good. The video uses Bill Shatner but I went for a Brent Spiner one. It really does give that game that extra sparkle. The video seems to imply that its talking all the time, but it really only talks to respond to specific phrases. If you turn interaction mode on it can talk now and again, but mostly it is silent unless responding to commands.

One of the good things is that you can set up macros and a lot are included. Such as saying "request docking" and it will go through that left console->contacts->select->go down 2->select "request docking" thing you have to do all the time.

The downside of it is - documentation. One thing that foxed me is that you have to install the pack into the same directory as the voice attack program. What it said in the docs that you have to leave the install directory alone. Also the list of commands they give in their "comprehensive manual" is woefully incomplete. And finally the "introduction script" that they have to introduce you to the character of the voice pack does not work for me. I'll post some more about it a bit later, with some tips I found for setting it up.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:27:22 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1334 on: January 13, 2017, 03:19:48 AM

I got Voiceattack a while ago and used the Anubis Free one.  I was of the opinion that it's a great thing, but it just wasn't configured enough and it relied on commands that no longer existed or just hadn't been setup in the game yet.

Also, it really, really didn't get the Scottish Accent.  Nothing like screaming at your spaceship for being a cunt while your chaff sits unused.

But let me know how the professional ones work and if they're worth it.  I watched a video of some chap using the Dhark one and it was all kinds of cool.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1335 on: January 13, 2017, 08:00:00 AM

Well, the first thing you should do is use windows speech recognition to train it to recognise your voice. They recommend doing it three times, I did it 4 or 5 times.

As for setting it up here is their original setup video, which has them doing it via talking the voice command when the computer is asking what key do you want to bind, and that still works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms3bL1wBBFg

This is their new setup video. The thing about importing the controls does not work in my voice pack, as I didn't get the plugin with it as it hasn't been upgraded yet. Eden is their best seller apparently, and this version is supposed to be released today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDkC0GORdQ8

Anyway, it actually wants "numpad /" as the supercruise command. I thin went down and filled in some of the SRV commands by clicking the binding, speaking the command and letting the voice pack press the keys, filling it in.

Ok, I've just had a hot steamy session of trading, and the first thing I could consider is to set up a key in voice attack for it to start listening. I was getting sick of hearing Data saying "zooming sensors" as I was watching the news while trading and the mic was picking it up. Otherwise it was picking up my commands reasonably well. There are a few sticklers, like when I was saying "60%" it kept going "30%" but it seems to be getting better about things like that. I have a weird accent too and a stutter, and besides that it works pretty well. You have to be fairly exact with the commands as you might guess, and speak in a newscaster voice a bit, but you get used to it pretty fast

The thing is that you need a cheat sheet as, as I mentioned, the documentation is pretty crap when it comes to the commands. You can actually export a HTML cheat sheet from voice attack, but someone put a Cheat sheet for the ASTRA pack in their forums, the commands are mostly the same bar a few pack specific commands, and this is more readable initially when you are getting used to using it. Highly reccomended.

http://forum.hcsvoicepacks.com/forum/elite-dangerous-discussion/10347-a-s-t-r-a-commands-cheat-sheet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0epJNNW0B-dOWcwd2FobnZsRVk/view

Otherwise this works brilliantly. I'm already looking at what other voice packs to get becasue this really does liven up the game a ton. Even the ability to ask for a randon fact while driving around is kinda cool. Like I said train the computer a few first before using it in battle. Its tedious but its well worth it. So far I'm recommending this. And it has not once failed to respond to a "Drop Chaff" command. :D

Hic sunt dracones.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1336 on: January 13, 2017, 08:25:08 AM

VoiceAttack is great for Elite and binding stuff like landing gear or cargo bay which you don't really want taking up your (active) hotkeys but you need regularly.
I'm torn between the Shatner voice pack and some others mostly due to the fact that the Shatner one probably won't be updated for stuff like SLF whereas some of the others are.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1337 on: January 13, 2017, 08:56:59 AM

Well you could probably pull macros from one of the other voice packs into the Shatner one once you are comfortable with what you are doing. It seems very moddable.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #1338 on: January 13, 2017, 03:49:27 PM

I wanna see peeps sweet ships, show me them!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1339 on: January 13, 2017, 05:00:04 PM

I'm torn between the Shatner voice pack and some others mostly due to the fact that the Shatner one probably won't be updated for stuff like SLF whereas some of the others are.

There may be a solution. The Astra voice pack apparently includes functions for multi crew AI voices, so if you buy her and Shatner, you can have Shatner as the main AI voice and Astra or whoever as the voice for the new functions that come in. I know I just bought Astra for that reason.

Also http://forum.hcsvoicepacks.com/forum/elite-dangerous-discussion/6398-multi-crew-profile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6F6Dm4pDAY
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:15:45 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1340 on: January 14, 2017, 03:06:24 AM

Stripped out the 6D Cargo Rack and put in some first class cabins.  Then took some woman a wee trip around for 9.5 million.

A much more enjoyable way to make money, and tons of explorer rank as I scanned systems as I went.

I love the Asp.  His drive range made it easy.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1341 on: January 14, 2017, 03:13:26 AM

I think I might try that. Trading blows Asp.  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1342 on: January 14, 2017, 03:16:24 AM

Well, in fairness, I ALSO have my T7, but it got quite boring going back and forth like a ping pong ball.

But you see lots of cool sights and the woman wanted me to stop and buy her clothes which was actually kinda funny -  took ages to find a port that sold them !  It was just like having a nagging shrewish wife, but fun and not real and I knew at any point I could eject her into the cold vastness of space.

why so serious?

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1343 on: January 14, 2017, 03:38:13 AM

You mean you don't eject your wife into the cold vastness of Scotland occasionally?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1344 on: January 14, 2017, 04:48:58 AM

No Comment.

Sold up and purchased a Python.

This was not a good decision.

At All.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1345 on: January 14, 2017, 06:34:10 AM

What's wrong with it? Its jump range is supposed to be crap, but aside from that its supposed to be one of the most balanced ships out there, bar the almighty Asp.

I was actually thinking should I start Imp missions in a Diamondback explorer just to be different, and if it would have enough cargo space to do them Its supposed to have the biggest jump range out there.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1346 on: January 14, 2017, 06:41:15 AM

My guess is that he had enough for the ship, but didn't realize he would have to spend almost as much again just to upgrade it so that it wasn't a flying brick.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1347 on: January 14, 2017, 06:49:57 AM

Eh, yeah, makes sense...

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1348 on: January 14, 2017, 10:56:22 AM

No, it's just that I'm back to trading with a flying brick.  Even upgraded, it's a little shitty when you've decked it out for cargo.

Further, 2.5 million rebuy.  I haven't died in it yet, but I'm massively worried about if I do.

Also, I miss my Asp.  lol.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1349 on: January 14, 2017, 04:52:32 PM

The Python is an excellent ship, but you DO need to a-rate the thrusters as soon as is feasible. I skipped out on the Python and went to the Type-9 heavy, which was profitable, but painfully stressful. Everything was always on the line and you had to do submissions and high wake asap constantly.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1350 on: January 14, 2017, 04:53:24 PM

Like if I had to go back and do it again I'd go python no question. Of course my progression curve was weird because of the Clipper (which lasts FOREVER)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1351 on: January 15, 2017, 02:26:19 AM

Ok, it upgrades rather well.  Expensive as fuck to do so though.

Just getting my Asp back to where it was, which is easier due to the amount of cash the Python brings in when you're not upgrading it !

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1352 on: January 15, 2017, 04:13:37 AM

Go for an Anaconda to fund your multiple Asp upgrades, kids!

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1353 on: January 15, 2017, 05:15:37 AM

To be honest, I think I'm done with the trade grind now.  I have my Python and my Asp and I'm going to spend some currency mucking about with a wee Cobra for old times sake, but I think I'm fine where I am finance wise.

Time to concentrate on the fun stuff - more discovery, more fighting and I guess I really need to push some rank and Engineer grind in there too.

I appear to be Chemically Addicted to the game at the moment tho.  Anyone in Open who wants to say hi, I'm usually to be found around Tsanlaya. 

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1354 on: January 15, 2017, 06:19:22 AM

Yeah. I cant really handle the trade grind for more than an hour. I'd making mining look exciting. I might get out some miners and try it this week.

Anyone know what cargo capacity you need to run the Imperial rep trade Grind? I'm at Master level and the clipper is calling my name with its sweet siren song of "The Type 7 Sucks ass"

Hic sunt dracones.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1355 on: January 15, 2017, 04:50:40 PM

To be honest, I think I'm done with the trade grind now.  I have my Python and my Asp and I'm going to spend some currency mucking about with a wee Cobra for old times sake, but I think I'm fine where I am finance wise.

Time to concentrate on the fun stuff - more discovery, more fighting and I guess I really need to push some rank and Engineer grind in there too.

I appear to be Chemically Addicted to the game at the moment tho.  Anyone in Open who wants to say hi, I'm usually to be found around Tsanlaya. 
Max your asp. Then its time for Elvira martuuk.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1356 on: January 15, 2017, 10:11:12 PM

Are you advanced/addicted players all using HOTAS setups to fly around? Or do you just have a joystick?

Despite spending 2 of my teenage years playing the C64 version, I haven't spent much time in today's Elite Dangerous despite owning it for over a year. I'd like to get into it but need to get myself adequately set up IRL (beyond current keyboard and mouse).
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1357 on: January 16, 2017, 01:41:00 AM

Good Advice.

As to your Question Tale, I'm using keyboard and mouse which works just fine, even in combat.  I'm quite sure having a nice joystick pilot setup makes the game somehow 'better', but I really don't see the need.

One thing I will say is that while Sams keyboard layout (quite a few pages back) is the absolute fucking nuts, I took my wee SRV out for the first time last night only to find out that the defaults the game give you make no sense whatsoever, are utterly awful when it comes to control and generally are a massive pain in the dick.

I know I need to master the SRV for advanced Engineer shit, so it's something I'll have to sort out fairly rapid...

I now have a wee type 6 miner setup that's sitting in a good system with Pristine rings.  Or so I thought.  Until I noticed that it's an Anarchy and when going back to the station to unload that million dollar load you get intercept attempts a fuck of a lot.

I guess I need to find a slightly safer system...

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1358 on: January 16, 2017, 01:49:57 AM

Good Advice.

As to your Question Tale, I'm using keyboard and mouse which works just fine, even in combat.  I'm quite sure having a nice joystick pilot setup makes the game somehow 'better', but I really don't see the need.

One thing I will say is that while Sams keyboard layout (quite a few pages back) is the absolute fucking nuts, I took my wee SRV out for the first time last night only to find out that the defaults the game give you make no sense whatsoever, are utterly awful when it comes to control and generally are a massive pain in the dick.

I know I need to master the SRV for advanced Engineer shit, so it's something I'll have to sort out fairly rapid...

I now have a wee type 6 miner setup that's sitting in a good system with Pristine rings.  Or so I thought.  Until I noticed that it's an Anarchy and when going back to the station to unload that million dollar load you get intercept attempts a fuck of a lot.

I guess I need to find a slightly safer system...

My favorite place to mine is Secomi-Salikians combo. Secomi has a station that wants metals and Salikians has a pristine ring in a medium security system. As a bonus both the station and the ring are close to the jump points (<1000Ls) and the jump between the systems is <10LY.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1359 on: January 16, 2017, 02:18:05 AM

Love your work.

EDIT :  That's a mere 200ly from my current position.  Sold to the Man with the unpronounceable name.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:19:56 AM by Ironwood »

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1360 on: January 16, 2017, 05:55:22 AM

Why do I read these threads... just spent last night watching vids about the game for almost 2 hours.  awesome, for real

Wonder how dumbed down the PS4 port will be. Any info on the XBONE version, which I'm sure will be pretty close to the PS4 one?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1361 on: January 16, 2017, 08:53:15 AM

Finally decided that I was tired of watching videos and failing the tutorials, and launched the game. The combat, landing and such are much easier than they seemed, made 150k killing wanteds at about 1200 each, then got jumped by a ?vulture? that was 124k just for itself. Guess I'm hooked.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1362 on: January 16, 2017, 09:46:51 AM

So now you can get a Cobra or a nice wee Viper in the country.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1363 on: January 16, 2017, 10:37:27 AM

Finally decided that I was tired of watching videos and failing the tutorials, and launched the game. The combat, landing and such are much easier than they seemed, made 150k killing wanteds at about 1200 each, then got jumped by a ?vulture? that was 124k just for itself. Guess I'm hooked.
Get yourself a kill warrant scanner if you are going to be bounty hunting. It can have a substantial impact on bounty payouts.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1364 on: January 16, 2017, 02:34:03 PM

Are you advanced/addicted players all using HOTAS setups to fly around? Or do you just have a joystick?

I use a HOTAS but it might be overkill. There are a lot of buttons to map, which can be annoying. Even with my HOTAS I don't have enough buttons so I also rely on the keyboard for mundane tasks (open cargo scoop, landing gear, etc). (VoiceAttack sounds like it could be useful, but then I'd have to set up a mic .. ).

One of the reasons I don't play every night is because I have to pull out my HOTAS and get it set up on my desk. It takes too much room to leave out all the time.

I do really want to try this with a VR setup, it'd be perfect for that. Maybe one of these days....

- Viin
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 70 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elite: Dangerous  
Jump to: