Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 05:50:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 592981 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1820 on: January 18, 2016, 10:40:30 PM

I just now, (after 5 yrs) got to playing Labyrinth: The War on Terror completely.  Helluva game.  I've met Volko in DC when it released, which prompted me to buy it.  The guy knows his global studies shit; he's a CIA analyst as well.  I'm kicking myself for having not played it earlier, but I can sense a love affair with GMTs similar offerings if this holds form.  Granted, I'm only playing it solo right now but I'm really enjoying the heck out of it.  After a good play-through it should be easy enough to teach the game to others, and once familiar with the system, expansion to the other systems should be easier.

Anyone gotten into any of the COIN series as of yet?  They're 4-player capable games.  Looks like everything is OOP except for whatever they've released recently.  We're on #5 now, which is the American Revolution.  Labyrinth has been expanded to include 2010-2015 happenings with the Arab Springs, Civil Wars,  ISIL, etc.  All these runs are apparently fairly collectible as they're limited. 

Anyways, the abstract realism can be pretty enthralling if you get into the event lore.  Gameplay at the low-level may seem somewhat programmatic until the curve is overcome, but it's still enjoyable and you get to tell a good story (hence all of the actual plays online).  High level play is of course a lot more nuanced and on-the-fly.  Best of all, if you invest in the system you've got unlimited gameplay until the man croaks or retires.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1821 on: January 19, 2016, 03:31:13 AM

Anyone gotten into any of the COIN series as of yet?  They're 4-player capable games.  Looks like everything is OOP except for whatever they've released recently.  We're on #5 now, which is the American Revolution.

Hrm, I thought that the Gallic wars box was originally meant to be the next COIN game. Guess Liberty or Death got through development faster. I've got two of the series: Fire In The Lake and Andean Abyss. I really like a lot of the hallmarks of the series. Asymmetrical factions is pretty much always appealing to me, and while I'm more of a euro person these days, GMT games definitely pulls some nostalgia strings back to my old Avalon Hill wargame days. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much the only person interested in such things in my group, so I've puttered around solitaire using the AI rules a bit, and had one abortive effort to play where everyone except one other person flaked, and I feel these games *really* want you to have four players, but they're definitely solid. If you like Labyrinth, I'd definitely recommend you try to get your hands on some of these.

Also, looking at GMTs P500 page, it looks like A Distant Plain and Cuba Libre both met the quota for reprints, so those should be available in the near future.

Fake edit: I just hunted around on BGG a bit. The A Distant Plain reprint, Cuba Libre reprint and the Gallic Wars game are all meant to be hitting early February according to Volko.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1822 on: January 19, 2016, 05:59:03 AM

I've played Cuba Libre, which I liked quite a bit, and Fire in the Lake that largely went over my head. Could see the depth but it wasn't really dragging me in. They are clearly aiming for war nerds, which is fine, but unless you already have an interest in the conflict I didn't feel FitL did enough to immerse players.

If they ever make one I'm likely to relate to, or which doesn't look like you need to know the history to appreciate, I'd likely dive back in. The reduced learning curve from one COIN to the next keeps the door open.

The absence of dice is, as always, an enormous help in making a wargame feel like a proper game, and not simply an alternate history generator.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 06:08:02 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1823 on: January 19, 2016, 04:51:36 PM

That was my issue with COIN.  Some of it is rather un-relateable.  I'm eyeballing Nam and the Am. Revolution though.  Aside from the Labyrinth expansion.  The dice in Labyrinth are only truly an issue with the Jihadist player; which is chaotic for a reason.  I like the mechanic personally.  But I like dices. 

edit:  #6 was the Am. Revolution one.  #5 was the Gallic one that'll likely get reprint.  The Gaul vs. Roman campaigns interest me, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with it.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1824 on: January 20, 2016, 09:40:27 AM

The Gallic one might be more interesting in that I'd expect them to have to make more effort to make that relatable.

American Revolution or Vietnam are things where a bigger market exists for them to go full nerd. Gauls vs Romans might force them to pull you in, I shall investigate.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:16:55 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1825 on: January 20, 2016, 10:37:41 AM

Guess I need to pay attention to this thread now that the girlfriend is dragging me along to her friend's place for game nights.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1826 on: January 21, 2016, 01:49:57 AM

Food Chain Magnate news, splotter are doing a forth print which looks like it will sell out in the next few days from their site. I gather passport games are distributing it in the US from the end of the month (and by all accounts the passport print works out a few dollars cheaper than having it shipped from europe).

Indonesia and the Great Zimbabwe are also now up for reprint preorder.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:08:16 AM by eldaec »

schild
Administrator

Reply #1827 on: January 21, 2016, 02:48:25 PM

I ordered Food Chain right when it went up for sale, STILL don't have it.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1828 on: January 21, 2016, 05:05:17 PM

According to the splotter guys and random people on BGG, everything from the first 2 print runs (to order number 1480) should have arrived in December. You probably need to bother someone.

Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1829 on: January 21, 2016, 05:49:36 PM

As order #1490, I got my copy a few days ago.  As a point of reference. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #1830 on: January 21, 2016, 06:52:26 PM

Blurgh, apparently order #1496.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1831 on: January 21, 2016, 07:30:31 PM

Indonesia and the Great Zimbabwe are also now up for reprint preorder.

Thanks!  /rawk

edit: yeah my food copy came last month.  And some of the best packing I've seen with boardgames.

edit2: "1 Euro equals 1.08 US Dollar".  Damn.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:35:32 PM by Soln »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1832 on: January 21, 2016, 08:06:19 PM

Yea, been buying a lot of stuff from Europe (vape and game shit mostly) recently due to the euro tanking. Indonesia may finally get a buy outta me.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1833 on: January 21, 2016, 11:49:15 PM

Blurgh, apparently order #1496.

On the plus side, it means you get the third print run with the typos fixed and better player aids.

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1834 on: January 22, 2016, 03:20:05 AM

Now that I've got Indonesia and Great Zimbabwe preordered, all I need is for them to reprint Antiquity and I've got all of the Splotters I really want (though I wouldn't turn down a copy of Greed Incorporated if they ever reprint that)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1835 on: January 22, 2016, 09:54:49 AM

Yea, been buying a lot of stuff from Europe (vape and game shit mostly) recently due to the euro tanking. Indonesia may finally get a buy outta me.
Yep, been hitting the EU hard for miniatures, tons of sculptors and manufacturers there. Great for collectors and really great for the smaller companies that are selling a lot more product lately.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1836 on: January 22, 2016, 10:32:00 AM

Yep, been hitting the EU hard for miniatures, tons of sculptors and manufacturers there. Great for collectors and really great for the smaller companies that are selling a lot more product lately.
By the way, haven't forgotten us talking about figure painting, I simply haven't decided which to get done and haven't received a bunch anyway, yay kickstarter and preorders.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1837 on: January 22, 2016, 10:32:21 AM

Now that I've got Indonesia and Great Zimbabwe preordered, all I need is for them to reprint Antiquity and I've got all of the Splotters I really want (though I wouldn't turn down a copy of Greed Incorporated if they ever reprint that)
Antiquity is so perfect that every other Splotter game I buy feels like a let down.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1838 on: January 22, 2016, 11:18:23 AM

Antiquity is so perfect that every other Splotter game I buy feels like a let down.

Yeah, it seems pretty up my alley. I've been waiting patiently for a while now. I don't know how I dropped the ball on Splotter so thoroughly for a period there. I had (and looooooved) Roads and Boats back in 2001 or so, but I always somehow missed the memo whenever they had a new game or were reprinting an old one until it was too late.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1839 on: January 24, 2016, 01:38:01 AM

Just played our first game of Food Chain Magnate using the dumbed down "Play it this way the first time, because this game is totally unforgiving and you can completely screw yourself over on turn one and never be able to recover" ruleset, and it is a fine, fine game, even missing rules and a good chunk of game length. It's got lots of hard choices to make, multiple viable strategies, and if you usually sneer at eurogames because they're multiplayer solitaire, man, this is not. This is a mean little engine building/logistics game, and I snarled "You son of a bitch" at the other players just as much for opening a new restaurant right next to mine as I ever did when they started massing heavy armor on my borders in a wargame.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1840 on: January 24, 2016, 02:39:47 AM

So, two player fun boardgame that can maybe, somehow, be inclusive for a nine year old.  It's not a dealbreaker if it's not. 

Go.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1841 on: January 24, 2016, 06:21:02 AM

So, two player fun boardgame that can maybe, somehow, be inclusive for a nine year old.  It's not a dealbreaker if it's not.  

Go.

Star Wars Risk is actually pretty damned good.  It's two player only.  Also, it's nothing like traditional Risk.  It's more of a card driven strategic game.  

Other options:
Memoir '44-  this one is a lot of fun too, and if you dig it there are expansions available for the south pacific, Africa, etc.  
Jaipur is good
Pandemic Legacy might be a good idea
X wing is flashy and fun with 2, pretty easy to play
Blood Rage is good with 2 and has amazing miniatures.  
Splendor is good with two.  
7 Wonders Duel is a nice adaptation of that to a two player game.  
Mr. Jack-  good deduction game only for two
Lords of Waterdeep-  fairly easy worker placement with a D and D theme that people seem to love (I like it, but don't love it)
Takenoko-  nice set collection type game that has cute pandas and bamboo.
Summoner Wars-  pretty easy fun

Actually, there are two very good geek lists at BGG that have done a lot of the homework for you as far as sorting and searching.  Really, it's just going to come down to what sort of theme she'll like.  There's a lot of good games, but kids can be funny about theme.  

Games that are recommended with 2

Games that are best with 2

2 player games or games played with only 2 that I have not enjoyed:

Morels
Hemlock
Biblios
Ascension
Caveman Curling
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:16:47 PM by ghost »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1842 on: January 24, 2016, 08:20:20 AM

So, two player fun boardgame that can maybe, somehow, be inclusive for a nine year old.  It's not a dealbreaker if it's not. 

Go.

Ninja vs. Ninja. Pretty simple and fun. We bought it when my son was about 9.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13511/ninja-versus-ninja

Also, go to that site (Boardgamegeek) and do an advanced search. You can filter for age, #of players, Time to play, type of game, etc.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1843 on: January 24, 2016, 09:24:42 AM

Go.

Patchwork is a good two player game that might work.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1844 on: January 24, 2016, 10:35:14 AM

So, two player fun boardgame that can maybe, somehow, be inclusive for a nine year old.  It's not a dealbreaker if it's not.  

Go.

Suitable for 2 adults or 2 adults and a 9 year old...

Ticket to Ride
Carcasonne
Survive
Forbidden Desert
Bohnanza
Qwirkle
Splendor

Suitable for 2 adults and fun is a massive category. More euro or thematic? Is length a thing? Is direct conflict a good or bad thing? Best 2 player experiences I've had in the last year or so have been Pandemic Legacy, Robinson Crusoe, Mottainai, Sekigahara, Twilight Struggle, Imperial Assault, Orleans, Caverna, Suburbia, but this is an unhelpful list.

Pandemic Legacy is what I'd recommend to anyone who wants just one recommendation in all of board gaming. It is a fully functioning Pandemic set, which is a great co-op euro to start with, then once you kick the campaign off it adds a thematic layer that makes it much more than a dry euro puzzle.

www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/spoiler-free-review-pandemic-legacy/

It is out of stock everywhere on planet earth, but reprint expected for March.

Some people mentioned Star Wars Risk. If you find that idea interesting I'd wait till March for FFG's Star Wars Rebellion. It is something close to a board game implementation of the PC game, and has been attracting a lot of buzz.

Also, minature death stars, TIE fighters and so on.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-rebellion/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:57:24 AM by eldaec »

schild
Administrator

Reply #1845 on: January 24, 2016, 11:02:49 AM

Go.

Tokaido.

Edit: Also, don't underestimate a 9 year old. I'm pretty sure at 9 I was teaching myself Basic. Possibly 8. You can likely go heavier than Tokaido, but it's a nice entry board game to more strategic shit.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1846 on: January 24, 2016, 11:15:46 AM

Some people mentioned Star Wars Risk. If you find that idea interesting I'd wait till March for FFG's Star Wars Rebellion. It is something close to a board game implementation of the PC game, and has been attracting a lot of buzz.

Well, Star Wars Risk goes for about $25 bucks on Amazon versus what will probably be close to $75 for Rebellion, so it's still not a bad place to start. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1847 on: January 24, 2016, 12:28:11 PM

Go.

Tokaido.

Edit: Also, don't underestimate a 9 year old. I'm pretty sure at 9 I was teaching myself Basic. Possibly 8. You can likely go heavier than Tokaido, but it's a nice entry board game to more strategic shit.

Actually both Tokaido and Carcassonne are games which are much more competitive with two players where everything is a zero sum game, but become more relaxed at 3 or more players. Which can be useful.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1848 on: January 24, 2016, 01:22:27 PM

Go.

Tokaido.

Be aware, I wasn't.  I just wanted to head off the possibility of "have you tried Sluts Bum Poke Virgin ?  It's the latest thing from Japan."

Elena can play anything her mum and dad can mentally speaking, but some things, you know, I'm gonna rule out.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1849 on: January 25, 2016, 01:30:49 PM

Lost Cities is a glorified card game (not much glory), but is a good introductory style game great for typical 9 year olds. A step up in difficulty from War (the card game), but some real strategy exists under the surface.

Carsassonne: The Castle is a good second tier two player game.  There is a bit more complexity, but it is manageable and it teaches more strategy.

If you're looking for traditional styles of games, the GIPF project games are all pretty decent.  They have simple rules but deeper strategy (most of them, at least).

I like a dexterity based game to play with younger people.  Try Toc Toc Woodman

Dice Masters is a simple game that appeals to younger folks... a lot to play around with in it as well.  Marvel, DC, D&D, etc... are all properties under the game. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1850 on: January 25, 2016, 05:22:51 PM

Skip Lost Cities; it's really not very interesting. We got only two plays through it; once everyone figured out how to play and realized it can basically be played with a standard deck of cards, the luster wore off.

Splendor works very well as a two-player game, I would definitely recommend it. It plays quite like Ticket to Ride. I found our two player games were more cutthroat than three or four players.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1851 on: January 25, 2016, 05:44:33 PM

Skip Lost Cities; it's really not very interesting. We got only two plays through it; once everyone figured out how to play and realized it can basically be played with a standard deck of cards, the luster wore off.

I like Lost Cities, myself, but it's not for everyone.  I got the same feeling from Battle Line, although I like it less than Lost Cities.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1852 on: January 31, 2016, 03:54:24 PM

So, three games I've finally managed to play recently:

- Legends of Andor (without expansions) : I played a 4-player game and we all enjoyed it. Got our ass kicked right off the bat during the first scenario  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Now, yes, it's a very tricky beast: while I have not played (or have taken a peek at) other scenarios, game gets really interesting when it adds more sidequests and elements during the scenario itself. Sometimes you have to leave monsters alone, sometimes you have to team up to kill them as quickly as you can, while another player rush to the goal (see the "endgame" of the first scenario, which we failed).

I realize it can become a bit "dry", because the mechanics often edge toward a math/brainstorming session (see: monster movement vs. advancement of the scenario marker) rather than mindless fun, but the attitude of the group you play with might mitigate that factor.
---------

- Splendor

Again, as a 4-player game. Absolutely approved, for what it is: great "filler" to introduce (or to end) a gaming night, or just to pick up when you're not in the mood for a 2 hrs+ game.
And yes, I also think it can definitely work for a 9yrs old. Love the thick coins, nice quality.
---------

Merchants&Marauders (without the expansion: waiting for it to be translated in italian)

So, I mean, game is 10/10 when it comes to theme. They did a fantastic job to immerse you, and you can actually enhance it by sipping a (well...some :P) cuba libre while playing  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I only played once, and a two-player game, so I can't give a very detailed opinion: regarding the mechanics, it has everything I like, a good mix of cards, dice, resource management; it's fun. Still, I understand all the complaints I read about the downtime while others take their actions while in a port. It can be tiresome and bring other people to quickly dislike it.

Ok, that's it. As a sidenote: Seasons is still my favourite card game, no doubt about it (bought both expansions last month and I hope to try them out soon)  Heart
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:10:39 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1853 on: January 31, 2016, 07:09:00 PM

Skip Lost Cities; it's really not very interesting. We got only two plays through it; once everyone figured out how to play and realized it can basically be played with a standard deck of cards, the luster wore off...
All true, except saying you should skip it.  For a 9 year old, it is a good balance. It is easy to understand, teaches some strategy, and involves enough luck that a typical 9 year old has a chance. If you don't want to buy it, you can look up the rules and do it with normal playing cards (2 decks are best, even more so if you can mark one deck up).

I bring a copy with me on trips as a time killer because it is so compact.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:08:47 AM by jgsugden »

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1854 on: February 01, 2016, 09:59:40 AM

Add me to the camp that enjoys Lost Cities, but in small doses.  It's just another time killing card game really, and it does it's job.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: