Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:19:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 96 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  (Read 870207 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1925 on: October 07, 2014, 05:01:01 PM

Two final questions: Is it better to get 2x8GB RAM now, instead of thinking I could add another 2x4GB RAM in the future? Google seems to think 2x4gb and then maybe another 2x4 is ok, provided the MB support it, which I think mine does?
Your case has a reasonable amount of depth to it so it's unlikely something will be blocking the empty memory slots so it'll probably be easy enough to add more memory later if you want to.

Also, can I get away with no extra cooling on this?
Depends on how hot you keep the room this comp is going to be in. Your case comes with two fans but you also aren't getting an aftermarket CPU cooler which are usually better than the stock cooler.

Cheers Trippy. The room doesn't get direct sun, but it is pretty warm in summer here, and the air con is in the other room. I will just watch and then get a CPU cooler, etc if it looks like it will be a problem.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1926 on: October 08, 2014, 02:25:50 AM

Edit: NM, I will work it out myself!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:46:57 AM by lamaros »
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #1927 on: October 08, 2014, 03:02:17 AM

Thanks all, yeah the ram is okay by me to swap out, but since I am going with the Noctua air cooler, I'm wanting a low profile ram. I found Crucial, also team elite plus, mushkin stealth, patriot viper 3 low profile, and not sure on the kingston in the same class of ram in same size. Pain in the butt looking it up on pcpartspicker.

I also have to pick up some other items like a wireless router, wireless adapters, a face plate with USB 3 on it (since mine is USB 2, easy way to up grade and add more ports on the front), eventually new keyboard and maybe mouse. Upgrade time gets expensive.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1928 on: October 08, 2014, 08:02:13 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231606

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220841

Best/cheapest low profile options I saw on newegg. No longer saving much money though I suppose and again I fully endorse buying Corsair RAM but they don't really traffic in low profile setups if that's what you need. You could also consider the Slim version of the Noctua to clear up the problem.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1929 on: October 08, 2014, 01:45:08 PM

Jimbo, that Crucial RAM you linked is the exact same RAM I just ordered for my new rig (hasn't arrived yet).  Has one of the best price point to good latency scores I could find.  I've also been ordering Crucial memory since the late 90's and have never had an issue.  Frankly though, you can probably order what ever and still be fine, as I don't think bad ram is as big of an issue as it was when most of us were growing up and getting into PC's.  Anyways, I felt it was a solid choice (and I also ordered a Noctua fan) and went with it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:46:53 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1930 on: October 09, 2014, 06:50:30 AM

Holy crap. Nothing I have can touch this card, and it's quiet and cool. Almost cold, I couldn't make it break a sweat, never went over 63C ffs. 1080p, so 'low res' these days.

The plain Windforce Gigabyte 970 ain't pretty, but it's a solid performer and more importantly my living room doesn't sound like there is a day laborer with a leaf blower in the corner.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1931 on: October 09, 2014, 05:35:05 PM

Successsss! Bought the following: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/DVmLbv

I guess we're going with the monitor, kb, etc not counting as part of the 'PC', so technically I'm below 1500. I also worked out that I'm paying $200 extra for being in Australia compared to the US, once you account for the current exchange rate... tolerable.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1932 on: October 10, 2014, 08:40:12 AM

Is it too late for you to change something?

I have to say the labeling on this unit is somewhat confusing. This is the VSM series, I think, but on the side of the unit itself it's called the V750. To make things worse, the product page URL calls them the "VS series" while the title of the product page says this is the "V750." Is this an intentional decision to confuse people into thinking this is part of the same Seasonic built line as the awesome V850? I suppose it doesn't matter if the performance is similar, but in my experience this has rarely been the case for Enhance built stuff. Their units are capable of it, but often they just give me an air of "meh, good enough" come load testing time. We'll see where this one lands soon enough.

I really do not like that PSU choice at all. I mean you are probably fine but I just don't think anyone should fuck around with PSU's, just buy the best (SeaSonic) and be done with it.

For the record the site that is from gives it a glowing final review "score" but I just don't care. I've just seen too many builds ruined by PSU's going wonky.

cite: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=383

That price history graph is pretty depressing too, what's up with that exchange rate changed?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:45:23 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1933 on: October 10, 2014, 10:36:52 PM

So I'm building the computer and I have everything connect but the hard drives. Should I get something on display when I boot up?

The motherboardis giving me 'a9' as a code, but I can't google what that might mean to find it in the manual.

Also do I install the ssd to the sata express controller or just a sata controller?

Edit: fans and etc seems to be working, no beeping errors.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:38:46 PM by lamaros »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1934 on: October 10, 2014, 10:47:05 PM

Yes you should still see something without any drives installed. Try fiddling with the RAM, e.g. reseat the sticks, use different slots, only use one stick, etc.

Edit: You can also try taking out the video card and plugging into one of the motherboard video output ports -- i.e. use the built-in CPU GPU and see if you get a display that way.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:51:53 PM by Trippy »
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1935 on: October 10, 2014, 11:14:34 PM

Thanks Trippy, looks like it is the gpu.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1936 on: October 10, 2014, 11:49:34 PM

Make sure it's getting enough power and it's seated well in it's slot. You can try a different slot too.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1937 on: October 10, 2014, 11:58:11 PM

Make sure it's getting enough power and it's seated well in it's slot. You can try a different slot too.

Yeah, tired reseating it, put it in a different slot, and fiddle with the power too. The fans are spinning and it is lighting up, so not sure what I'm doing wrong. Probably something. Pretty annoying!

Also can't seem to find boot from USB in the bios, but I've yet to try and load the os so we will see.

Edit: problem resolved. I can't say what it was because it is too fucking embarrassing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:09:28 AM by lamaros »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1938 on: October 11, 2014, 05:26:20 AM

Wrong monitor input wasn't it?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1939 on: October 11, 2014, 05:46:48 AM

I'll never tell.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1940 on: October 11, 2014, 08:50:59 AM

Probably he didn't realize that you need to plug multiple 6-8 pin connectors into these modern behemoth GPU's. Either that or he was in the wrong pci-e slot. Or he had the monitor set to DVI instead of HDMI etc.

I've done the first and third and freaked out for a couple of minutes about it.

-William Gibson
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1941 on: October 11, 2014, 01:34:54 PM

Yeah, things changed in the last 8 years that I wasn't quite on top of... all working now though! just need a faster internet connection so that Shadow of Mordor can download before my video card goes out of date...
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1942 on: October 13, 2014, 10:25:54 PM

What's the best free VPN service? My government has said that paying extra for living in Australia is wrong, but I can't get steam to agree...
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1943 on: October 15, 2014, 01:30:11 AM

What's the best free VPN service? My government has said that paying extra for living in Australia is wrong, but I can't get steam to agree...

Well, I was forced to try funstockdigital.co.uk. Who knows if I'm getting scammed, but $7 versus $50 for Civ 5 Brave New World... I'm prepared to risk it.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1944 on: October 20, 2014, 02:59:43 PM

Newegg has a deal for Indiana residents where we get the premier membership free for one year, and they have a special with Visa check out.

Newegg is running some specials, the one I picked up : http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1739932

[edit] duhr.... forgot to say. Got all but the graphic cards for $ 2231.92 that is for 2 computers to upgrade and includes shipping.

Both the MSI and Gigabyte 980 gtx are on back order...so eventually I'll be able to get those when they come in.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:14:22 PM by Jimbo »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1945 on: October 21, 2014, 09:09:48 AM

Trippy or anybody else who might know:

I got a Fractal Design R4 case.  I am trying to screw in the gold standoffs for the motherboard into it.  I cannot figure out how to get those fuckers to screw in.  They will not go.  Tried hand screwing them in lightly or with force, no go.  It came with a key you can put them in so you can use a screw driver.  Tried that.  I am practically putting all my body weight into it (bending the the mother board mounting plate even) as I turn the screw driver, and they will wont go in.  WTF am I doing wrong?  Videos on the internet seem to show everybody just easily screwing them in by hand.  I'm trying it on all the holes marked with an A for the ATX board I got.

Arrrgg.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1946 on: October 21, 2014, 09:34:41 AM

They may have not threaded them, I got a corsair case once with all the standoff holes drilled, but not threaded. I had to return and get get a different one.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1947 on: October 21, 2014, 09:39:19 AM

I got a Fractal Design R4 case.  I am trying to screw in the gold standoffs for the motherboard into it.  I cannot figure out how to get those fuckers to screw in.  They will not go.  Tried hand screwing them in lightly or with force, no go.  It came with a key you can put them in so you can use a screw driver.  Tried that.  I am practically putting all my body weight into it (bending the the mother board mounting plate even) as I turn the screw driver, and they will wont go in.  WTF am I doing wrong?  Videos on the internet seem to show everybody just easily screwing them in by hand.  I'm trying it on all the holes marked with an A for the ATX board I got.

Arrrgg.
Screw them the other way? If that doesn't work you'll need another case. It does sound like they weren't threaded.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1948 on: October 21, 2014, 09:50:24 AM

Sigh.  Of course the largest most pain in the ass thing to mail back is whats fucked up.

-Stephen Colbert
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1949 on: October 21, 2014, 11:45:32 AM

Sigh.  Of course the largest most pain in the ass thing to mail back is whats fucked up.

You could always just tap them yourself.  It'd be cheaper and faster than shipping.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:50:56 AM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1950 on: October 21, 2014, 12:39:39 PM

Hrm.  Good idea actually.  We have an entire machine shop with about ever tool imaginable.  I can probably take it down there and see if one of our techs can do something.

And if he can't, I'm sure I can take it to facilities and have one of our local guys try.  Where there is a Polish man with power tools, there's a way!

-Stephen Colbert
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1951 on: October 22, 2014, 08:53:48 AM

I used some power tools to carve some pumpkins :)

Both MSI and Gigabytes 970's and 980's are on back order... The other parts should be getting here soon. I'm thinking the 970's will be a pretty good fit for the upgraded (hell almost new) computers. I am thinking of going to a wireless router. ASUS looks to have a pretty decent router and wireless adapters. If my Kindle was so freaking poorly designed that you can't plug it into the computer and get updates and downloads, I wouldn't even bother, well that and my son and his friends all crash at my house and they have a bunch of laptops and stuff and are mooching off the neighbors unsecured wifi. I may skip the wireless adapters, I already ran cables up to the two computers from the wired router. Then it will be new keyboards, mice, and maybe a foot switch to activate my teamspeak. Oh I'm thinking of this USB 3 adapter for one of my bays, the case has only USB 2 on the front, the new motherboard has USB 3, plus this adds some memory card readers: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817998223&cm_re=usb_3_hub-_-17-998-223-_-Product

I wish Newegg or Amazon would let me pre-order the 970's and ship it when it gets in stock.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1952 on: October 22, 2014, 09:26:50 AM

Wired where possible, wireless for the other devices.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1953 on: October 22, 2014, 11:02:42 AM

I have pretty much given up on wireless for anything other than tablets and phones.  There are just two many devices in my house that need internet connection, and I get really tired of dealing with everyone's issues when the wifi is acting up or there are bandwidth problems for whatever reason.  One miserable afternoon up on the attic later, and everyone is on a wired connection.  No more complaints.

Honestly - and yes, I could spring for much more expensive devices - wireless technology still has huge room for improvement.  Do not want.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1954 on: October 22, 2014, 04:12:44 PM

Conversely:

Been using wireless for my main gaming PC's internet for many years now.  Have not noticed any difference in performance in that time versus wired (includes playing FPS/twitch type games).  Except I don't have cat5 cable duct taped to the walls all over the house.  Router goes down as often as my wired routers use to go down.  Really, they just need to improve home router technology.  15 years and the fuckers keep going down with about the same frequency, no matter what brand I use.

Your miles may vary of course.

Edit:

In other news, apparently the factory in China dared let one of its employees have a bathroom break or something, and they did indeed forget to thread the holes in my case.  But took it into the machine shop at work, and they easily tapped all the points I needed quickly.  Motherboard mounted successfully!

Almost everything else plugged in and ready to boot for the first time.  Go to plug in the SATA power connector into SSD.  Which I decided to mount on the back plate behind the motherboard (so you need to remove the motherboard to unmount it) because hey, its kind of cool to be able to hide a drive back there.  Realize my power supply didn't come with any SATA power connectors that don't end in a 90'degree angle end (instead of straight) so can't fit into the drives power connector at its angle.

:rageguy:

But wait, I have a bunch of left over modular cables from my current power supply.  And wouldn't you know it, I have a spare one that ends with with a straight SATA connector!  Then I notice on the part you plug into the power supply that the 'blank' pin on the cable is in a different spot compared to the ones my PSU uses.  Google tells me that unlike everything else in the PC world, no standard has been developed at all for modular PSU cables, that everything is different even between models from the same company, and I'll likely fry my components trying to use that cord on my new CPU.

:rageguy:

Luckily its late anyways and I didn't really want to fuck with configuring the system till tomorrow.  I'll go out on my lunch break to see if I can find an adapter from 4-pin to SATA that's straight, so I can fit it in.  If not, guess time to disassemble the whole damn thing and put back together again.  Not that it takes that long, but I just hate undoing work I've already done.

I will have my PC up and ready to play Beyond Earth by this weekend damnit!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:26:57 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1955 on: October 22, 2014, 05:51:20 PM

I really advise against using hidden spots like that.  When your drive craps out you'll be in a foul enough mood.  Having to disassemble your computer to get to it will just make you rage completely.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1956 on: October 22, 2014, 07:58:05 PM

I got a Fractal Design R4 case.  I am trying to screw in the gold standoffs for the motherboard into it.  I cannot figure out how to get those fuckers to screw in.  They will not go.  Tried hand screwing them in lightly or with force, no go.  It came with a key you can put them in so you can use a screw driver.  Tried that.  I am practically putting all my body weight into it (bending the the mother board mounting plate even) as I turn the screw driver, and they will wont go in.  WTF am I doing wrong?  Videos on the internet seem to show everybody just easily screwing them in by hand.  I'm trying it on all the holes marked with an A for the ATX board I got.

Arrrgg.

I bought the same case and mine was pretty easy to do, only one or two that I had to exert much, so I agree with the rest.

Edit: Just realised how belated this reply is... sorry.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1957 on: October 23, 2014, 05:55:08 AM

I really advise against using hidden spots like that.  When your drive craps out you'll be in a foul enough mood.  Having to disassemble your computer to get to it will just make you rage completely.

One way to satisfy both the desire to hide the SSD and retain the ability to remove it easily for replacement would be to use Velcro strips or zipties and the little loops for cable management to secure the SSD up against the bottom of the motherboard tray where you usually stuff extra cable - you'll still need straight-in SATA and power cables though.  Some people use double sided tape, but that shit's really tough to remove cleanly.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:01:12 AM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1958 on: October 23, 2014, 06:21:13 AM

Yeah, in retrospect I wouldn't have done it.  I just never had a case that had a "SSD mount" on it before, and the monkey part of my brain was like "oh, you must mount the SSD to the SSD mount!"

There was a computer shop around the corner from work that sold me a sata power extender thing that ends into a straight connector for cheap.  So I can be lazy and put off the extra effort for when I'm really angry, like Lant mentioned.
I bought the same case and mine was pretty easy to do, only one or two that I had to exert much, so I agree with the rest.

Edit: Just realised how belated this reply is... sorry.
I knew something had to be up when I looked at videos online, and everybody was just hand screwing them in with no issue.  Really wierd that they forgot to thread the damn holes in the case, you'd think QA would have noticed that.  Thankfully, it was just the holes for the various motherboard configurations, and everything else in the case is threaded.  Including the holes for the SSD mount, unfortunatly.   awesome, for real

-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1959 on: October 23, 2014, 08:42:03 AM

Sometimes I like this thread because it assures me that I'm not the only one that has to deal with shit while trying to assemble one of these god-damn timesinks.

#pcmasterrace

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 96 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  
Jump to: