Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 02:58:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar" 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  (Read 987907 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1400 on: January 09, 2014, 03:25:37 PM

Oh, right, Ghambit is crazy. How did I forget?

I suppose I need to respect the NDA myself, too.  Heartbreak

God Save the Horn Players
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #1401 on: January 09, 2014, 05:24:42 PM

He's played the game, he knows what he's talking about. He just has a fairly unusual definition of "combat".

There are so many people streaming for hours on end, including the devs, that you can discuss wildstar pretty openly without violating NDA. Just don't talk about your personal experiences.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:26:44 PM by sam, an eggplant »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1402 on: January 09, 2014, 05:25:45 PM

Which doesn't include healing or crowd control, apparently.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1403 on: January 09, 2014, 08:07:54 PM

He's played the game, he knows what he's talking about. He just has a fairly unusual definition of "combat".

I'm in beta too. I do consider healing/support/CC/etc as part of "combat," so that's the main component of my "wat," I suppose. Because when I'm rolling around on my medic, and get into combat, even if I have him specced for support, it's not a puzzle. It's a fight. There's not a class in the game where you can avoid combat, which is why I consider them all "combat-oriented." You can never avoid fighting. You must fight if you want to level. Whether I am using my dubstep paddles to do damage or prevent it is irrelevant.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1404 on: January 10, 2014, 12:25:16 AM

Combat in any classically-styled rpg is really just an illusion.  Smoke and mirrors generated via elaborate game theory and graphics (and prior to that, walls of text).  No different then any other thematic-layer you may place upon any generic game system...  a Jane Austen game for instance, negotiating the magna carta via play-by-post, whatever.  We could technically call that "combat" to eh?  They're all just puzzle-games.

Oh, right, Ghambit is crazy. How did I forget?

Rock Out

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1405 on: January 10, 2014, 05:41:09 AM

That's about as deep as an inflatable kiddie pool.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1406 on: January 10, 2014, 08:32:55 AM

Combat in any classically-styled rpg is really just an illusion.  Smoke and mirrors generated via elaborate game theory and graphics (and prior to that, walls of text).  No different then any other thematic-layer you may place upon any generic game system...  a Jane Austen game for instance, negotiating the magna carta via play-by-post, whatever.  We could technically call that "combat" to eh?  They're all just puzzle-games.

I saw these exact same posts on the 'Tale in the Desert' forums when people complained that it didn't have combat. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1407 on: January 12, 2014, 02:16:54 PM

I don't know what you're smoking, because it's not like Wildstar has invented some kind of alternate MMO 'not-really-combat' combat system.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1408 on: January 12, 2014, 03:34:03 PM

Does it violate the NDA for somebody to say that they un-installed this?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1409 on: January 12, 2014, 04:00:19 PM

I think breathing violates the NDA these days, the way they are written.

My view is don't say anything about the game, why you are or aren't excited about it, or anything detailed about opinions. I don't think they give a shit if people say they are or aren't excited about release.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1410 on: January 12, 2014, 04:33:42 PM

The Secret of NDAs: The NDA only matters if you're worried about the impact of your future gameplay. If you're not going to play it anyway then breaking the NDA is a headache for mods. not you.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1411 on: January 12, 2014, 04:40:22 PM

Unless you get banned.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1412 on: January 12, 2014, 05:30:32 PM

Once again, we don't need to do all this hinting here, anybody who gives even one iota of a shit can go to a million different places and find out exactly what they want. 

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1413 on: January 13, 2014, 06:35:44 AM

And it's not going to be the massive train wreck that is ESO, so why even go there?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1414 on: January 13, 2014, 08:16:57 AM

And it's not going to be the massive train wreck that is ESO, so why even go there?

Nope, it will be fine. Divisive, but fine.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1415 on: January 13, 2014, 12:55:11 PM

I DISAGREE!!!1!  ... oh wait... DAMMIT!

I'm not in the beta, I was making a divisive joke
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1416 on: January 13, 2014, 04:35:27 PM

Unless you get banned.

Which is something the mods do!  awesome, for real

Non-Beta-Having Realtalk in response to the above few posts: It's going to be Rift 2.0 - everyone's going to love the new shiny, applaud about how well the devs have made a new spin on the old diku game, stuck with WoW ideas where they work, changed them where they don't, blah blah blah and then quit playing within a month or two (and go back to WoW a couple of months after that/when the expansion hits).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1417 on: January 13, 2014, 04:41:06 PM

I don't think it will be Rift 2.0. I'm not sure what it will be, but a competently executed game in a cardboard cutout paint-by-numbers incredibly boring world is not in the cards, simply because they appear to be a billion miles away from bland with their world design and look.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #1418 on: January 13, 2014, 05:16:38 PM

I think this MMO is made for 90's kids.  Its got their wacky cartoonish look all over it.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1419 on: January 13, 2014, 06:10:04 PM

I don't think it will be Rift 2.0. I'm not sure what it will be, but a competently executed game in a cardboard cutout paint-by-numbers incredibly boring world is not in the cards, simply because they appear to be a billion miles away from bland with their world design and look.

I would not be so sure of that. This is looking and feeling a lot like Rift2.0 to me. When I have looked in on a stream I see something that could very much leave that bland boring taste in my mouth after a week or two of playing it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1420 on: January 13, 2014, 10:21:10 PM

I think in Ingmar's case, what he will decide to hate about Wildstar will be completely different than what he decided to hate about Rift.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1421 on: January 13, 2014, 11:02:59 PM

Or GW2.

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1422 on: January 14, 2014, 05:11:05 AM

they appear to be a billion miles away from bland with their world design and look.

Screenshots and videos don't look that good. I don't like their style but characters and mobs so far at least tried to make an impression. The world -based on the little I've seen in screenshots and authorized streams- is totally failing any possible expectation. Not meant as a challenge but as a serious request: can anybody point me to any legally public screenshot that shows an original, interesting world? Or that doesn't look exactly like a WoW zone? Cause Google seems to agree with me.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1423 on: January 14, 2014, 05:47:58 AM

Well what kind of "unique" world are you looking for?  At this point, after 30-40 years of sci-fi/fantasy development (you know, beyond gaming), I'd say it's getting kinda rough to come up with something truly unique and visionary.  We're already been desensitized on so many levels that I'm surprised it doesn't just all blur together at some point.

I don't think Wildstar's out to re-invent the wheel.  They just want to take the various good parts of previous wheels and make an epic/refined one, much like WoW did with EQ/DAoC/other inconsequential 1st gen MMOs.  Sure, it's the same strategy that Rift tried to do, but they fell short on QoL features at launch that people were kinda already expecting to be there.  I think Wildstar has learned that lesson and many others.

Call it Rift 2.0 if you want, but that combined with the sci-fi setting is hitting the right markers with me.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 06:30:34 AM by luckton »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1424 on: January 14, 2014, 06:18:55 AM

No, I see your point. Let's say I am more interested in understanding what qualifies generic fantasy worlds as bland or the opposite of bland these days. WoW zones were defintely, hugely different from EQ ones. Or any other MMORPG and fantasy world up to that point. It wasn't for me, but they were absolutely not bland. But is it all about being original? I don't think so, as you pointed out it's realistically getting harder and harder to come up with an original world for these kind of games.
So what made Rift's world bland and Wildstar's not-bland? Again, considering they had sci-fi to add to the mix I was expecting much much more, but the screens and the few zones you can see in the authorized streams are extremely bland to me, and that's why I was asking to be pointed to something non bland to look at.
I hope the released product will show some more personality (...than what I've seen so far. Which is admittedly very little).

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1425 on: January 14, 2014, 07:49:32 AM

So what made Rift's world bland and Wildstar's not-bland? Again, considering they had sci-fi to add to the mix I was expecting much much more, but the screens and the few zones you can see in the authorized streams are extremely bland to me, and that's why I was asking to be pointed to something non bland to look at.
I hope the released product will show some more personality (...than what I've seen so far. Which is admittedly very little).

Do you not have full beta access now?  Wtf are you talking about?
Gimme it back if you're not gonna use it.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Also, I've long since given up trying to judge an RPG by starter zone / 10-levels.   And mind you, Wildstar is not a small game ala Rift.  For me; characters, lore, quest design, and game mechanics are more important up until you arrive at the main hubs of the game, wherein "vibe" matters a bit more.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1426 on: January 14, 2014, 07:52:28 AM

I am not supposed to talk about beta (and I am using it! But I am just not high level yet). So I've scouted around the net for legal material of higher level zones.

Wildstar is not a small game ala Rift.  For me; characters, lore, quest design, and game mechanics are more important up until you arrive at the main hubs of the game, wherein "vibe" matters a bit more.

I see what you mean. I agree and that's why for example I believe that could be the only redeeming quality of... The Elder Scrolls Online actually.
Anyway, I never thought Rift was "small", and never really got the "bland" comments about it. It was as guilty as 99% other simjilar titles in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 07:58:33 AM by Falconeer »

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1427 on: January 14, 2014, 08:39:40 AM

Uh, so, going back to when you were saying 'just pick a non combat oriented class' you meant like a class whose combat mechanics you subjectively interpreted as not being combat because it's all just an illusion of combat.

By your own logic* is it even possible to pick a combat class then

*Huh
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1428 on: January 14, 2014, 11:20:23 AM

they appear to be a billion miles away from bland with their world design and look.

Screenshots and videos don't look that good. I don't like their style but characters and mobs so far at least tried to make an impression. The world -based on the little I've seen in screenshots and authorized streams- is totally failing any possible expectation. Not meant as a challenge but as a serious request: can anybody point me to any legally public screenshot that shows an original, interesting world? Or that doesn't look exactly like a WoW zone? Cause Google seems to agree with me.

I don't think it looks all that much like WoW, other than the fact that they both tend to use exaggerated body types on the models and aren't afraid to use the whole color palette. But more than just that, the world, characters, and cultures have personality, where basically nothing in Rift did. It isn't just about visuals, it's about the setting as a whole. I'm probably not using the terms how video games expect me to but when I say 'world design' I'm including all the lore elements, everything that would be the world fluff in a PNP setting book.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:23:06 AM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1429 on: January 14, 2014, 11:28:39 AM

It looks exactly like WoW but with 10 years of improvement.  If they made WoW 2 this is what it would look like,  minus the space shit.  Maybe with the space shit.

I am the .00000001428%
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1430 on: January 14, 2014, 11:36:53 AM

I cannot remember a single NPC from Rift. Not a blessed one. Wildstar has NPCs I will actually remember.

I dimly recall that rifts were the "different" thing about its Generic Fantasy Setting, but I don't remember why they happen. I don't remember anything specific about the races as far as their history in the world went (I do remember one side were a buncha TIME TRAVELERS though! Because the other side ruined everything but don't actually know that or some shit?). While there are parts of Nexus' lore I am sure I will immediately forget all about once I stop playing it, there are other aspects I will remember for longer (why the Mordesh exist, why the aurin loathe the chua, etc).

Wildstar's lore isn't super award winning or anything, but it's stickier in my brain than Rift ever was. It's sort of like the difference in worlds between CoX and CO. I remember a lot of the factions in CoX, remembered what motivated them, and gave a shit about their little arcs. The only faction I remember from CO are the Quebec seperatists (or whatever) and that's just because I was amused Canada was a zone.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1431 on: January 14, 2014, 11:47:48 AM

The only thing I remember about Rift were the souls, the dungeons, and the PvP.  If Wildstar can top that, then I'll be happy.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #1432 on: January 14, 2014, 12:25:03 PM

Wildstar has the exact same graphic style as WoW. Same exaggerated features, colorful but low-resolution, focused on art and style over visual fidelity. The subject matter happens to be pulp sci-fi rather than high fantasy. The whole world looks like the gnome and goblin areas in WoW, lots of weird machines with glowing lights and cutesy animations, tons of little doodads cluttering up the place. I'm a fan of Wildstar's art. Can't say anything about the gameplay, obviously.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1433 on: January 14, 2014, 12:30:24 PM

The goblin areas are way dirtier and polluted looking than anything I've tripped over in Wildstar.  why so serious?

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1434 on: January 14, 2014, 12:49:17 PM

Wtf, they just gave me two more beta keys.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS   Why??  I have no idea.  Are they lurking this thread or something?   I'll give out one, and it's already spoken for to Rasix.  I need to verify my account isn't fubar or something.  If all is well, I may have two extra.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 98 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Carbine Studios' "Wildstar"  
Jump to: