Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 10:27:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 1015122 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2590 on: January 21, 2016, 03:08:56 PM

Ok, so was your old team the SVC/Storwize team?

As someone who uses/manages several hundred thousand dollars worth of them, I would like to know if the QA/QC is going (farther) down the shitter  why so serious?

Same development org, same executive owner.  Not the same product. That's had a similar org structure to what my product is moving to. Of course, our quality numbers were a lot better in every conceivable metric. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So no, SVC/Storwize will be same as ever.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2591 on: January 22, 2016, 05:30:59 AM

I've been advised that people don't like advice unless it is asked for.

That said, I'll paraphrase myself: Dump it into LinkedIn and go get some beer.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2592 on: January 22, 2016, 06:00:27 AM

On a lighter note, the soon-to-not-be-VP that I was previously once-removed from is from Edinburgh.  I mean for real, not one of those weirdo English that moved north.  I came over to announce that I had submitted an exception change request, to which he replied something along the lines of "da ye nee me ta approve it" or something.  Fortunately the soon-to-not-be-director that I dotted-line report to was there to translate.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2593 on: January 22, 2016, 06:22:29 AM

from Edinburgh.  I mean for real, not one of those weirdo English that moved north. 

swamp poop

That's the textbook definition of an Edinburgh person.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2594 on: January 23, 2016, 01:29:41 PM

I suppose that explains a lot.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2595 on: January 24, 2016, 07:20:04 PM

I'm getting rotated to an area of campus I never wanted to go to since the parking sucks, the support area is a gigantic collection of little buildings, our office space there is terrible, and there's nothing to eat in the area. Managed to dodge the bullet of being rotated there for like 5 years but now I have to just deal with it.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #2596 on: January 25, 2016, 11:36:33 AM

and there's nothing to eat in the area.

GrubHub?

I have never played WoW.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2597 on: January 26, 2016, 06:01:07 AM

He probably means an area which is "large" by university standards.  I have to drive two+ miles for thai food.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2598 on: January 26, 2016, 12:21:07 PM

The struggle is real.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2599 on: January 26, 2016, 12:37:29 PM

My new favorite phrase. awesome, for real

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2600 on: January 26, 2016, 04:28:32 PM

He probably means an area which is "large" by university standards.  I have to drive two+ miles for thai food.
This area I'm going to be in is a huge research park and it's literally a mile+ walk to the nearest actual business. This area wasn't planned particularly well. Not much parking either so if I drive somewhere my parking spot will almost certainly end up taken and I'll end up parking at the nearest parking garage which is also coincidentally a mile+ away. Sucks.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2601 on: January 26, 2016, 05:16:18 PM

Buy a cheap bicycle, keep it locked up at work for lunchtime.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2602 on: January 26, 2016, 06:34:07 PM

Exercise? What are you one of those goddamn millennial hipster kids with their skinny jeans and their hatred of processed foodstuffs and refined sugar?

Also: Wtf, scout me for a job then never call me back. Assholes.  awesome, for real Heartbreak
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:35:49 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2603 on: January 29, 2016, 06:41:02 AM

This morning, someone seagulled me with http://oneops.com/

I'm really going to take a hard look at it.  Anyone else?

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2604 on: January 29, 2016, 07:39:13 AM

All I can say is that the blurb at the very top of their website makes me want to punch someone.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2605 on: January 29, 2016, 08:26:29 AM

Agreed.  It almost stopped me cold.  The grammar in the Getting Started was almost another stopper, but I'm persisting.

I'm now lurking in their Slack org.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2606 on: January 29, 2016, 12:15:26 PM

Walmart cloud services..wtf.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #2607 on: February 01, 2016, 08:48:22 AM

So. Friday, got the news that the County offered me the job. Turning in my resignation from the beer distributor today. I have a feeling I'll end up with about three meetings this week about it. The week before the VP pulled me into his office specifically when my direct boss was not in the office and talked to me about what I was doing for the company, and what I wanted to. Hinted at a management position after some restructuring.... so, this could get interesting. At this point, it would have to be a serious increase in pay, though.

beer geek.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2608 on: February 01, 2016, 08:54:54 AM

Nothing really ever changes. If you want new challenges it's best to go somewhere else, at least in my experience. Congrats!

- Viin
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2609 on: February 01, 2016, 09:22:49 AM

That is my experience also.  With the additional caveat that money doesn't help if you really want a move.  It just sticks at you and makes you more frustrated.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #2610 on: February 01, 2016, 12:30:30 PM

Job funtime update!

So they are merging R&D and my group, along with a few other smaller groups, into one as some sort of "transformation" of IT services.  My counterpart in R&D is taking a new position elsewhere in the group.  I know have several people (our financial analyst for one, my boss is onboard, too) advocating for me to take over her position and do the job for the merged group, since all the finances will eventually come together.  Plus, my month-end is far more accurate than the other group.  She's an employee with two dotted line contractor reports, which would be a step up, that's for sure.  Now to see what happens and if anything, can it be done before that stupid furlough comes around?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2611 on: February 02, 2016, 05:29:50 AM

IT transformation?  Welcome to 2010! awesome, for real

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #2612 on: February 02, 2016, 05:50:32 AM

IT transformation?  Welcome to 2010! awesome, for real

We're a huge multi-national bio-pharma company - what do you expect?  why so serious?  I'm amazed our separation from the parent company only took 3 years.

I think it's more that each business group (R&D, mine, Doc Mgmt, etc.) all have their own IT groups to support them and there's probably a fair amount of redundancy outside the specific knowledge areas (e.g. regulatory isn't patient safety isn't discovery isn't R&D), so they are looking into that.  I do feel bad for my counterpart though, since the position she's moving into is about resource demand management.  Yeah, good luck with that nightmare.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2613 on: February 03, 2016, 02:45:38 PM

Welp, after 16 years at one company I might be interested in looking for a new job.  We got bought -- my options were worth a bit and that softens the blow, but it wasn't quite enough to retire on, and so far the signs are increasingly pointing to this not being as fun of a place to work under the new owners.  So I'm not out of work (if they're smart they'll even throw some extra money at me to get me to stay for a while) but I'm feeling like it wouldn't hurt to sniff around and see what offers I can get.

So how does one do that these days?  The last time I was out job hunting I was 15 and it entailed distributing resumes on foot.   awesome, for real
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2614 on: February 03, 2016, 02:50:47 PM

Kiss up to Surly, he might be able to get you a job at the infinite loop  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2615 on: February 03, 2016, 03:37:04 PM

I use Indeed to send me daily emails of new postings for job descriptions in locations I'm interested in. If I find an interesting position at an interesting company, I see if anyone I know on LinkedIn works/worked there and I hit them up with some questions about the company/manager/etc. Then you tailor your resume to the position (use the keywords found in the job description!!!!!) and post it via their online jobs portal *and* get anyone I know to hand carry a copy to the hiring manager.

- Viin
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2616 on: February 04, 2016, 02:58:38 AM

Welp, after 16 years at one company I might be interested in looking for a new job.  We got bought -- my options were worth a bit and that softens the blow, but it wasn't quite enough to retire on, and so far the signs are increasingly pointing to this not being as fun of a place to work under the new owners.  So I'm not out of work (if they're smart they'll even throw some extra money at me to get me to stay for a while) but I'm feeling like it wouldn't hurt to sniff around and see what offers I can get.

So how does one do that these days?  The last time I was out job hunting I was 15 and it entailed distributing resumes on foot.   awesome, for real

Dude, I didn't want to shit up your FB feed, but that announcement and wee writing from 'The Old Boss' sent FUCK NO shivers right up my spine.

Over here, I'd be talking to some good peoples at good agencies, not to be desperate or anything, but just to introduce myself.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2617 on: February 04, 2016, 05:57:43 AM

Besides Indeed, the main places for professionals are LinkedIn and Glassdoor.

I don't know where our job postings will end up, so I can't yet suggest looking at Weather Underground or Weather@IBM (I don't know what we are called since I didn't really read that branding document), but I do assume they need people.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2618 on: February 04, 2016, 06:04:42 AM

Yeah, Glassdoor and professional-based sites are how I go about it when randomly looking for other opportunities. (always keep an eye out.)

Also 90% of it is who you know, so start pressing your network as Viin said. Lots of jobs in my industry never get posted because someone knows a guy or knows-a-guy-who-knows-a-guy who'd be a fit at an unannounced opening. I imagine it's the same in software.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2619 on: February 06, 2016, 09:20:03 PM

New area kinda sucks about as much as I expected. I went from having my own office to being stuck in a broom closet with 3 other people. We did get given a bunch of new office space but despite this being a nearly new building a lot of network and power jacks have to be added to the new space before we can move in.

Also not very mentally stimulating. I went from working with a lot of interesting people to help buy/build/support cool engineering shit to playing phone tag with people overseas who don't know how to use VPNs or RDP, as well as watching our poor student workers janitor tons of Macbooks with printing issues because OSX is fucking shit piss garbage. You can tell who doesn't do any real work here by seeing if they have a macbook.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2620 on: February 07, 2016, 02:00:09 PM

See if you can find a good resource to learn CUPS. My minion did from our Contracted Mac-pro and it's made a night and day difference with regard to managing macs for printing.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2621 on: February 08, 2016, 06:40:10 AM

The best advice I can give from 15 years of admin on macs (in my own humble, not enterprise way) is: ignore OSX as much as possible and just use the bsd underpinnings. I can't remember the last time I used the server's GUI, because it's all but useless. Just Terminal in and get things done. Also why 'mac people' make shitty admins, they can't terminal.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2622 on: February 08, 2016, 12:18:56 PM

My MBP is a very fancy terminal.  Super fancy.  Not so great for Diablo III.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2623 on: February 08, 2016, 12:20:55 PM

Not so great for Diablo III.
Switch to the 15".
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2624 on: February 08, 2016, 01:27:03 PM

Not so great for Diablo III.
Switch to the 15".

I have that one with custom 1TB flash storage.  It's mostly a right-click problem.  Although, I haven't tried it since I picked up the magic mouse.  Using the pad is not possible with Project Zomboid, not from what I've managed.

The MBP is awesome for worky-work.

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: