Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 03:34:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Summer Sale 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam Summer Sale 2011  (Read 80548 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #280 on: July 08, 2011, 10:38:08 AM

A few things jump out at me:

1 - Having things up for over $30 is not a sale, Steam. We don't play that.
2 - Who doesn't own ME2 at this point? They pimp that every sale, along with Worms Reloaded.
3 - Last Remnant is a terrible Squeenix port that's not worth $2.
4 - The Total War games are the ones that should have never existed. Do not buy them under any circumstances. Go for Shogun instead if you want.
5 - The Splinter Cell stuff is Ubisoft. So, no.

I'll buy Amnesia and probably not play it until Halloween because it scares me to look at.

Hate them for their recent DRM stunts, but the first few SC games are worth every penny and still fun to this day. Conviction, not so much, but the co-op was fun.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #281 on: July 08, 2011, 10:42:28 AM

Money going to UbiSoft now only supports their current stupidity, even if it's for previous efforts. They don't distinguish.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #282 on: July 08, 2011, 10:43:46 AM

Video game company stupidity? You must be only buying indie games during the sale then Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #283 on: July 08, 2011, 10:51:21 AM

DAMNIT! I debated on that one too. Up until late last night. Sonovabitch. What's awful about it?
You go in hoping for a sim city sequel and instead you get a sort of farmville-esque MMO where you're supposed to trade resources around to other players' cities. Unfortunately, no one plays the game anymore. So it's you. All alone.

I was still thinking of getting divinity 2, even at that price, until I saw this:

3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™
5 machine activation limit

Sorry! Eat a dick!
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #284 on: July 08, 2011, 10:55:35 AM

1 - Having things up for over $30 is not a sale, Steam. We don't play that.

Normally I'd agree, but Red Faction: Armageddon has only been out for 32 days.  I'm not going to buy it either, but the fact that it's marked down at all is a little surprising.

Out of this lot: I'll finally pick up Amnesia.  I've been debating getting it for a long time and have heard nothing but good things.  If I have a few beers tonight I might drunkenly buy Mafia 2 as well...it's how I got the GTA and Overlord bundles a few months ago.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: July 08, 2011, 11:01:13 AM

What's everyone doing for the wishlist?   I know we can check via steam but it's slow as fuck.   I'm trying to figure out preorders but most games can't be preordered yet.    So far I've got:

Warhammer Space Marine
Rage
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Heroes of Might and Magic VI
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #286 on: July 08, 2011, 11:03:14 AM

DAMNIT! I debated on that one too. Up until late last night. Sonovabitch. What's awful about it?
You go in hoping for a sim city sequel and instead you get a sort of farmville-esque MMO where you're supposed to trade resources around to other players' cities. Unfortunately, no one plays the game anymore. So it's you. All alone.
Oh, I got Cities XL 2011. Looking around it sounds like that online trading bit was ripped out of this one because of how bad it was.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #287 on: July 08, 2011, 11:05:06 AM

I was still thinking of getting divinity 2, even at that price, until I saw this:

Sorry! Eat a dick!
You're only going to play it once.

It's a decent day of sales, of stuff I own. Mafia 2 is a great game (imo), well worth it (don't expect GTA, it's not that). Amnesia is amazing. FO3/ME2 if there's still someone who for some reason doesn't own them yet. Actually FO3 is appealing to de-disc and grab the DLC, but I just got the F:NV DLC, so blah.

And booooo no ME2 DLC. Probably the thing I want most right now.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #288 on: July 08, 2011, 11:08:02 AM

2 - Who doesn't own ME2 at this point? They pimp that every sale, along with Worms Reloaded.
4 - The Total War games are the ones that should have never existed. Do not buy them under any circumstances. Go for Shogun instead if you want.

I didn't own ME2... until today.  awesome, for real

As for the Total War games, Napoleon is worth owning if you like the TW games and/or the era. I still like Empire despite it's problems, but Napoleon definitely improves on Empire's problems.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #289 on: July 08, 2011, 11:10:40 AM

Sorry! Eat a dick!

I have been wanting to buy this forever, but SecuROM has been holding me back also.
Zaljerem
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: July 08, 2011, 11:29:43 AM

Two weeks ago I had the Orange Box, the Total War collection, the Grand Theft Auto collection, and Shogun 2 on Steam, and that was it. Now I have to scroll to see everything, and had to move my local cache to another hard drive because I'm running out of space.

Ho-leee-shit did I buy a bunch of games. I'm glad this craziness ends soon ... but all in all, I'm pleased.

Every problem has a better solution when you start thinking about it differently than the normal way. - Steve Wozniak
When is [Minecraft] going to get together with DF, have a nice cuddle and a bottle of wine and finally produce the Baby that I want ? - Ironwood
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all." - GlaDOS
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: July 08, 2011, 11:54:11 AM

I didn't own ME2... until today.  awesome, for real

Same.  (Well, when I get home anyway)
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: July 08, 2011, 12:42:13 PM

What's everyone doing for the wishlist?   I know we can check via steam but it's slow as fuck.   I'm trying to figure out preorders but most games can't be preordered yet.    So far I've got:

Warhammer Space Marine
Rage
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Heroes of Might and Magic VI

I've got WH: Space Marine and DeuX: Humans Revolving too.
The only HoMM game I've played was 5, which I thought was boring, so I'm passing on VI.  And Rage, I'm not sure what it is.  Linear FPS, or story based thing like Fallout, or what, so I'm passing on it for the moment.

Other than that, for preorders, I've got Saint's Row 3, a few games that are too expensive to buy (Sims Medieval, Alice, and this A-10 flight sim that's like $60.00) and games that I'm curious about but not curious enough to actually spend money on (Civ 5, Frozen Synapse, Mirror's Edge, Alpha Protocol). 

The "reccommended for you" feature is stupid as hell, I'm finding.  "Hey, I know that two items from your wishlist are on sale at like 80% off, but how would you like to buy a DOG COSTUME for FABLE 3!  It's at a slight discount!"

Anyone know WTF Universe Sandbox is?  Like, is it a game, or what?  It looks like a particle physics app, like something you'd see on Newgrounds or something, but I don't see anything from the trailer as to what you actually do in the game, aside from watch balls move around.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: July 08, 2011, 12:54:45 PM

Do you think putting Saints Row 3 on the wishlist will actually work?  I sort of assume they won't actually count games which can't be preordered.   Of course nobody will win so meh.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #294 on: July 08, 2011, 01:46:24 PM

Do you think putting Saints Row 3 on the wishlist will actually work?  I sort of assume they won't actually count games which can't be preordered.   Of course nobody will win so meh.
Yes it works. It's in the rules that preorders are allowed.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: July 08, 2011, 02:30:51 PM

I don't own ME2. I have ME1 and Dragon age and that's enough for me to realise that I really just do not like Bioware RPGs. I finished ME1 somehow; I didn;t finish Dragon Age, the game just got so dull I gave up. So consequently I won't be plumping for ME2. The only good feature I could find in any of the games was the dialogue; everything else was bland bland bland with overtones of dull.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #296 on: July 08, 2011, 02:34:44 PM

Heathen barbarian.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #297 on: July 08, 2011, 02:39:59 PM

I don't own ME2. I have ME1 and Dragon age and that's enough for me to realise that I really just do not like Bioware RPGs. I finished ME1 somehow; I didn;t finish Dragon Age, the game just got so dull I gave up. So consequently I won't be plumping for ME2. The only good feature I could find in any of the games was the dialogue; everything else was bland bland bland with overtones of dull.

Just FYI, ME2 was better than ME1. It cut out a lot of the stupid crap and made combat more fun. One man's opinion on whether or not it's worth $7, but I would say I got my money's worth at $30.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #298 on: July 08, 2011, 02:43:10 PM

Just FYI, ME2 was better than ME1. It cut out a lot of the stupid crap and made combat more fun. One man's opinion on whether or not it's worth $7, but I would say I got my money's worth at $30.

Yeah, ME2 is far and away the best game out of all those ones you listed. Basically, if you where playing ME1 and saying, I wish there was more FPS and less RPG in the combat of this game, ME2 is perfect for you.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: July 08, 2011, 02:56:37 PM

Yes it works. It's in the rules that preorders are allowed.

That's what I'm saying.   You can't preorder Saints Row 3.
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: July 08, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Anyone know WTF Universe Sandbox is?  Like, is it a game, or what?  It looks like a particle physics app, like something you'd see on Newgrounds or something, but I don't see anything from the trailer as to what you actually do in the game, aside from watch balls move around.

It's basically a universe/physics simulation. You can change stuff like the size or mass of celestial bodies (i.e. the sun) and watch what effects it has on the rest of the solar system/universe (so far I've found myself trying to destroy all of creation via black holes)

Not a game really which is why I never paid full price for it.

For some reason Space Marine doesn't show up in my Steam search (must be a UK thing - odd given GW is from the UK) :-(
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: July 08, 2011, 03:19:46 PM

I hear this, and you may be right, but I was also told that DA was better than ME, and I couldn't even finish that. Maybe I will pick it up next time around, but it is not like I am short of games to play, and frankly I found the basic gameplay systems so terrible in ME1 that I cannot see how ME2 can be raptor jesus.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: July 08, 2011, 03:32:43 PM

I hear this, and you may be right, but I was also told that DA was better than ME, and I couldn't even finish that. Maybe I will pick it up next time around, but it is not like I am short of games to play, and frankly I found the basic gameplay systems so terrible in ME1 that I cannot see how ME2 can be raptor jesus.

Opinions will very I guess, for me it would be ME1 > DA > ME2 with ME1 and DA being close and ME2 dragging a bit behind.  Havne't played Dragon Age 2 yet, but heard mostly that it's a a dissapointment.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #303 on: July 08, 2011, 03:53:15 PM

Have you tried to go back and play ME1 after playing ME2?  It's a pretty jarring experience.  It barely feels playable.

DA1/DA2 is pretty much a toss up for me.  I did log a hell of a lot more time in DA1, but I was position to do so then and the game is just a hell of a lot longer.

ANYHOW, didn't want to turn this into yet another Bioware RPG preference derail.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:55:48 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: July 08, 2011, 04:09:28 PM

DA1 = Best game crappy story/world
ME1 = Best story sort of crappy game
Me2 = Good story decent game
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: July 08, 2011, 04:18:47 PM

Pondering Fallout3 GotY...

Haven't played any of the previous in the franchise or NV, but I did play Wasteland once upon a time, heh.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: July 08, 2011, 04:21:29 PM

Pondering Fallout3 GotY...

Haven't played any of the previous in the franchise or NV, but I did play Wasteland once upon a time, heh.

You should easily get $10 of playtime from the game if you like that fps/rpg mix.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: July 08, 2011, 04:30:07 PM

Good point - sold!   awesome, for real

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #308 on: July 08, 2011, 04:32:54 PM

I've never been able to get FO3 to run well on a couple different machines - including one that New Vegas runs on near-flawlessly. So be aware that you may be looking at something of a crashy nightmare. Game is still worth getting though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #309 on: July 09, 2011, 12:26:24 AM

DA1 = Best game crappy story/world
ME1 = Best story sort of crappy game
Me2 = Good story decent game
....Really?  I actually liked the Story/World of DA a lot (have only played 1 so far).  I haven't played either MA game yet, but still, I thought DA was very well put together.  What didn't you like about it?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: July 09, 2011, 03:48:59 AM

I was kinda turned off by ME1  for it's crap-stuffs (inventory/item management, planet-side roving around endlessly, lack of some kind of linear progression line (yes I like a little hand-holding in my RPGs, if only so I can experience the story that's trying to be told))

For 7 bones though, plus the 'improvements' I've heard to the stuff I didn't like, I'll pick it up.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: July 09, 2011, 10:21:08 AM

Duke Nukem Forever 50% off already.  THAT can't be a good sign for the game.  awesome, for real

Are any of the Prince of Persia games past The Sands of Time worth playing?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: July 09, 2011, 10:33:21 AM

Well, pretty disappointing day.  Terraria is certainly worth 2.50 if you don't already own it, but I suspect most of everyone that is interested already owns it. 
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: July 09, 2011, 10:40:46 AM

Is X any good?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: July 09, 2011, 10:42:40 AM

In 2 minds about Duke - wasnt very impressed with the demo and had kind of set myself a £10 limit on ebay (anyone know if the retail copy requires Steam?)

PAM looks interesting, anyone got any experience of it?

Other than that I've either got it already or have no interest so yeah pretty disapointing (still holding out for Morrowind getting mariked down further like Oblivion and the Fallouts did)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Summer Sale 2011  
Jump to: