Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 07:47:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "Oh btw, FFXIV Online in 2010" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Oh btw, FFXIV Online in 2010"  (Read 467215 times)
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1680 on: August 08, 2012, 08:40:56 PM

So this is a costly mulligan.

One indicative of a completely broken studio culture, or sommat.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1681 on: August 09, 2012, 06:44:48 AM

I think it may actually be pretty interesting when they finish.  I actually liked some of the concepts, mostly the art style and the world.  I also think it has a potentially interesting story there, if anyone dares to flesh it out any.  This is one that I probably will resub to just to see where they got. 
I agree, I'm willing to give it at least another month once the overhaul is complete.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1682 on: August 16, 2012, 11:24:13 AM

So they've released some stuff on this game.

Gamescom shaky cam video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM6bi4RP25o&feature=player_embedded

More images: http://www.ffworld.com/?rub=news&page=voir&id=2285

UI looks pretty, I didn't really look into much to see if the actual game is fun to play though.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1683 on: August 16, 2012, 01:18:36 PM

Looks like PLD AF armor is making a return appearance. I always loved that set... hell I loved getting that set, even through all the ridiculous quests for the armor pieces. SSC: I miss those big quests for armor pieces sometimes... They felt personal considering that quest was mainly only for the single person - which usually lead to helping out the other people when they got their quest unlocked. *tear*

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1684 on: August 18, 2012, 12:05:29 PM

I see jumping there, so at least there's that..... awesome, for real
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1685 on: August 29, 2012, 04:10:07 PM

I see jumping there, so at least there's that..... awesome, for real
That's most likely a cutscene why so serious?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1686 on: October 08, 2012, 01:22:48 PM

So has anyone jumped back into this mess to see how it is?
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1687 on: October 08, 2012, 03:35:18 PM

Jumping is not slated to be integrated until late season 2017.

I'm sure some people have walked into invisible walls back into this mess to see how it is though!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1688 on: October 08, 2012, 04:04:52 PM

Reborn hasn't launched yet.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1689 on: November 16, 2012, 09:56:16 AM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #1690 on: November 16, 2012, 11:36:39 AM

Context:

Seeking control over this realm and its abundant crystal resources, the Garlean Empire (a scientifically advanced nation hailing from the north) begins gathering an army of epic proportions. To ready themselves for the coming conflict, the city-states of Eorzea reinstate the Grand Companies─comprehensive centers of command which combine the commonwealths’ military and economic assets. However, the commander of the invading forces, VIIth Imperial Legion Legatus Nael van Darnus (a.k.a. “White Raven”), has plans of his own. Driven by madness, he silently plots to usher in a more permanent form of devastation: Meteor.

The Meteor project is comprised of a complex scheme employing arcane magicks and lost technology to summon the lesser moon down to Eorzea in an attempt to annihilate the realm’s inhabitants in one fell stroke. Dalamud, as the celestial object is commonly known, is revealed to be a colossal machine launched thousands of years ago into the planet’s orbit by an ancient civilization.

Realizing the futility of standing alone against such a threat, the Grand Companies put aside deep-rooted differences and consolidate their forces under the banner of the Eorzean Alliance.

At the behest of this new confederation, adventurers from across the realm take up arms and march on the floating islands of Rivenroad. Here, the brave heroes confront Nael van Darnus, and after a heated battle, put him to the sword. But by this time, the White Raven’s plan is too far along, and Dalamud continues its descent.

In an eleventh-hour bid to save mankind, the Grand Companies turn to Louisoix, an enigmatic scholar hailing from the forgotten city-state of Sharlayan. The ‘Archon,’ as he is called, devises a plan to summon the power of the Twelve, Eorzea’s pantheon of guardian deities, and use that power to banish Dalamud back to the heavens. But for this to succeed, the rite needs to be performed directly beneath the point of Dalamud’s impact. After several sleepless nights of deliberation by the realm’s foremost arcanists and astronomers, that point is determined to be a vast swathe of barren lowlands in central Eorzea known as the Carteneau Flats. With this information in hand, the Grand Companies order the immediate mobilization of their forces.

Unbeknownst to the Alliance, the soldiers of the VIIth Imperial Legion, oblivious to their leader’s dark intentions, have also begun gathering in central Eorzea. Ordered to defend the area with their lives, they prepare for a fight, unaware that victory will bring about their own demise.

And so, with two great hosts amassed, the Battle of Carteneau begins.

Both sides fight with a desperation-fueled frenzy, neither yielding the other ground, until from the skies, a great roar issues. Dalamud has begun its final metamorphosis. In a matter of moments, the stone and metal of the moon’s crust crumble away to reveal none other than the elder primal, Bahamut, now free from his ancient prison.

And thus do the people of Eorzea learn what it is that truly faces them. Never was it the White Raven’s intention to blight the realm with Dalamud, but what slumbered within it.

Enraged after aeons of duress, Bahamut unleashes his wrath upon the realm, spewing forth endless fire and destruction. Louisoix quickly conjures a barrier to protect what remains of the Eorzean Alliance, and then begins the arcane rite that will channel the power of the Twelve and focus it into rebinding Bahamut. The sheer force of the primal, however, is too strong for even the Archon, and his efforts fail.

Realizing the end is nigh, Louisoix summons the last of his strength to call upon Althyk, the Keeper, god of space and time, to send those surviving heroes into an aetherial rift, where they are to remain untouched by the passing of the seasons until it is once again safe to emerge…and continue their struggle to forge Eorzea’s future.

Neat trailer, though cool CG and shitty gameplay has been Square's MO since 1997.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:38:21 AM by Rokal »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1691 on: November 16, 2012, 12:06:31 PM

There is a youtube video that has the new dev team showing off some stuff in a press event or something.  The new game seems to show some promise.  At least you can jump.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1692 on: November 16, 2012, 07:52:40 PM

I really wish this was going to be cool.  Especially a decent MMO for the PS3; that would be great.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1693 on: November 19, 2012, 03:43:56 PM

bahamut is released, destroys the entire world's terrain

so wait, bahamut is .. the ... good guy?
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1694 on: November 19, 2012, 05:12:30 PM

No, the game is still running.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1695 on: November 19, 2012, 09:32:57 PM

right, but he really, really tried. that's the important thing, right?
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1696 on: November 19, 2012, 09:34:59 PM

Regardless this will be my favorite MMO expansion where an ancient evil awakes and decimates the world in a terrain-refreshing cataclysm. Except for that other one.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1697 on: November 20, 2012, 07:58:17 AM

Bahamut is just a summon like everything else in FF.  They aren't really good or bad so much as tools of obliteration.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1698 on: November 20, 2012, 04:28:05 PM

Bahamut is just a summon like everything else in FF.  They aren't really good or bad so much as tools of obliteration.

That's pretty badass.  So every time someone casts it they have to release a new expansion?  I like this idea.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1699 on: November 21, 2012, 07:02:57 AM

No, the game is still running.

I thought the game actually came offline as it transitions to Alpha in Japan?
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1700 on: November 22, 2012, 10:06:32 AM

Does a pretty shitty job of it, though. One of the first videos from the "new" FF14 showed some tree village and my first reaction was "hey, i remember that exact spot and NPCs, except they had better shaders on back then". That deja vu continued throughout.

I suppose they deserve credit for crafting such memorable location in the first place, tho Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1701 on: November 23, 2012, 06:32:41 PM

That cinematic was friggin beautiful.  The game will still probably be shit but holy fuck I loved that cinematic.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1702 on: November 26, 2012, 07:48:56 AM

"We won't make a mistake like FFXIV again—if we did, it would be like at the level of destroying the company."  why so serious?
http://kotaku.com/5963155/new-final-fantasy-xiv-director-talks-about-what-went-wrong-with-the-original
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1703 on: November 26, 2012, 12:09:03 PM

"[to the devs] Hey, go play WoW for a year." -A statement xiv's director literally thinks would've helped xiv.

The comments are also awful.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1704 on: November 26, 2012, 12:17:53 PM

"[to the devs] Hey, go play WoW for a year." -A statement xiv's director literally thinks would've helped xiv.

It would have.
And this is coming from someone who doesn't like WoW at all.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1705 on: November 27, 2012, 03:50:29 AM

I have my doubts they would've taken the right lessons from it.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1706 on: November 27, 2012, 08:06:53 AM

Leveling based off reputation grind.

Too bad about the developer notes.  There's a sick part of me that wants to see what they've done with the previous game.  I may actually throw money (away) at this when it launches.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1707 on: November 27, 2012, 08:53:58 AM

They should've just hired grunk as a consultant.  why so serious?

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1708 on: November 27, 2012, 02:08:32 PM

I read grunk as "a drunk"

Still applicable.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1709 on: November 27, 2012, 05:05:22 PM

I have my doubts they would've taken the right lessons from it.

"So to make our game a success, the most critical improvement we must focus on is having metzen write it."

"Yes! and act all the dialogue."

"The entire dialogue??"

"Yes."

"Brilliant."
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1710 on: November 29, 2012, 12:19:36 PM

Having Thrall show up out of fucking nowhere in that cinematic and nuke Bahamut with the Dragon/Demon Soul would have been utterly hilarious.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1711 on: November 30, 2012, 06:16:00 AM

Well if they did play WOW and use all it's influence, at least the game would of launched with jumping.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1712 on: November 30, 2012, 06:21:50 AM

They just need to copy the crappy class balance, silly pvp grind, and endless daily quests from WOW and they'll have it made.

e:
Well if they did play WOW and use all it's influence, at least the game would of launched with jumping.
The grammar snake would have a field day with this awesome, for real
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:25:21 AM by Zetor »

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1713 on: November 30, 2012, 06:33:51 AM

Fuck off asshole, I'm drinking my coffee.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1714 on: November 30, 2012, 12:14:22 PM

They just need to copy the crappy class balance, silly pvp grind, and endless daily quests from WOW and they'll have it made.

e:
The grammar snake would have a field day with this awesome, for real

The anti-grammar snake would of had a field day with it too!

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "Oh btw, FFXIV Online in 2010"  
Jump to: