Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 05:22:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Troops battle 10-foot marijuana plants 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Troops battle 10-foot marijuana plants  (Read 6380 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: October 13, 2006, 06:31:42 PM

Troops battle 10-foot marijuana plants

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canadian troops fighting Taliban militants in Afghanistan have stumbled across an unexpected and potent enemy -- almost impenetrable forests of 10-feet-high marijuana plants.

General Rick Hillier, chief of the Canadian defense staff, said on Thursday that Taliban fighters were using the forests as cover. In response, the crew of at least one armored car had camouflaged their vehicle with marijuana.

"The challenge is that marijuana plants absorb energy, heat very readily. It's very difficult to penetrate with thermal devices ... and as a result you really have to be careful that the Taliban don't dodge in and out of those marijuana forests," he said in a speech in Ottawa.

"We tried burning them with white phosphorous -- it didn't work. We tried burning them with diesel -- it didn't work. The plants are so full of water right now ... that we simply couldn't burn them," he said.

Even successful incineration had its drawbacks.

"A couple of brown plants on the edges of some of those (forests) did catch on fire. But a section of soldiers that was downwind from that had some ill effects and decided that was probably not the right course of action," Hillier said dryly.

One soldier told him later: "Sir, three years ago before I joined the army, I never thought I'd say 'That damn marijuana'."

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:59:02 PM

Load up the 50 Cal and mow that shit down. That's what they did with trees in Vietnam according to my dad.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 06:31:30 AM

Wait!  Stop!   undecided

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 06:41:34 AM

Load up the 50 Cal and mow that shit down. That's what they did with trees in Vietnam according to my dad.

Yep, my dad said the same thing, and daisy cutters from the air.   We must be out of those after dropping them all over the mountains in 2002/3.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 06:43:35 AM

My Dad said he used to buy coffee cans stuffed with Thai sticks for a few bucks.

He never shot any Marijuana plants down though.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 09:01:35 AM

This is just further proof that drugs support terrorism.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 10:40:18 AM

Pfft, mow nothing down. Find some troops from BC and that shit'll be sold/gone in a week TOPS.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 11:40:51 AM

BC? You obviously aren't familiar with the types of troops that come off the east coast of the US, my little nixel.

Most of them are in the army solely because of their propensity to get toasted behind stairwells.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 02:04:56 PM

I know nothing of the US. I REFUSE!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 03:17:46 PM

I know nothing of the US. I REFUSE!

For knowing nothing you sure know how to mimic the US's attitude towards Canada.

:-D

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 03:23:17 PM

The world alike is mimicing you then. cheesy
XboxGod
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 04:40:33 AM

You have to admit, that's pretty smart of them.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 12:04:58 PM

Canadian military recruitment just shot up!

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 12:26:53 PM

Cut them down with machine guns? That's just silly. Black and Decker have tools that can cut through that stuff faster and for a fraction of the price of tens of thousands of 50 cal cartridges. Same army that teaches people to scrub toilets with toothbrushes, I guess.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 12:51:30 PM

Undeniable proof that pot helps terrorism!!!

Hello Kitty
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 05:14:26 PM

You silly guys, we don't need any stinkin Afgan pot.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 05:18:13 PM

Especially when it hasn't been tended to with care in the basement of a 2 story house.
XboxGod
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 02:52:31 AM

Actually, some of the greatest Indica strains come from Afghanistan.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 04:31:33 AM

Actually, some of the greatest Indica strains come from Afghanistan.

Yeah, but Bunk lives in BC. 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 07:34:06 AM

Indica > Sativa

Allah, I miss growing pot. This whole responsibility/career thing sucks.
XboxGod
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 03:40:51 AM

Indica > Sativa

I generally prefer a good 50/50 strain, or maybe 60% indica 40% sativa. I am hoping I will someday be in the position to do a little farming on my own, I have read A TON on growing and am eager to put my knowledge to use.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 03:46:30 AM

Indica > Sativa

I generally prefer a good 50/50 strain, or maybe 60% indica 40% sativa. I am hoping I will someday be in the position to do a little farming on my own, I have read A TON on growing and am eager to put my knowledge to use.

I would like to apply for the beta test.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 20, 2006, 06:55:46 AM

My first whirl in college was biochemistry, and my singer's dad was a science teacher who also grew pot. I started keeping charts of genetic traits and collecting new seeds to bring in new lines. He was impressed and we ended up building up a great pantheon of seeds, creating some really great hybrids and specialty strains. It's so much fun trying to breed for certain effects.

Our indicas were always a cleaner, more energetic high. The sativas were more sleepy, dopey. There were certain traits we tried to crossbreed (sativas will generally have more vertical growth, for instance), but we were pretty firmly in the indica 'christmas tree' white bud snowballs camp.

I really do miss growing. Fucking stupid laws.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #23 on: October 20, 2006, 07:45:33 AM

Wouldn't this stuff be useless? With no one to tend it, the male plants would have pollonated the whole bunch, making it no better than ditchweed.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 20, 2006, 09:40:58 AM

Seeded bud is not as good as sinsemilla, but it can still be good for smoking. The factor would be whether it's marijuana or hemp. Pictures look like decent enough marijuana plants, especially the couple right under the guy standing in the tower thingy.
XboxGod
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 23, 2006, 02:03:42 AM

My first whirl in college was biochemistry, and my singer's dad was a science teacher who also grew pot. I started keeping charts of genetic traits and collecting new seeds to bring in new lines. He was impressed and we ended up building up a great pantheon of seeds, creating some really great hybrids and specialty strains. It's so much fun trying to breed for certain effects.

Our indicas were always a cleaner, more energetic high. The sativas were more sleepy, dopey. There were certain traits we tried to crossbreed (sativas will generally have more vertical growth, for instance), but we were pretty firmly in the indica 'christmas tree' white bud snowballs camp.

I really do miss growing. Fucking stupid laws.

If I ever move to a place where I am able to grow, I will for sure be picking your brain. Did you grow hydro, aero, or soil? I
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 23, 2006, 10:07:08 AM

I'm old fashioned, soil. Starter plants indoors for a few months and then a gradual habituation to full sunlight and then the full summer sun. Indoors you have to worry about height too much, outside you can let them get massive, I think my best was almost 13ft tall. Had some good cowshit in the patch that year, had to bend them down and the secondary stems all got as big as individual plants, like 6-8ft secondary stems. It was awesome.

I had a few friends who grew indoors with HPS and MH lamps, it's a whole different philosophy. I had a few plants in their indoor setups, mostly my seeder plants. You are growing compact bushes and really trimming them down to necessities. I'd trim the mainstems twice so you'd have four main colas and then take the male pollen from four different plants and have four hybrid seeds on one plants (using pollen bagging).

Some days I wish I didn't have a job I wanted to keep, heh. I haven't grown a plant since the 80s :(

Here we go, another try:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6600AP_WST_Marijuana_Initiative.html
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #27 on: October 23, 2006, 10:25:20 AM

But opponents counter that the touted benefits are pipe dreams

The AP hack was chuckling to herself as she wrote that.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
OcellotJenkins
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 23, 2006, 01:03:21 PM

Why not just grow your pot inside your PC?

XboxGod
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 23, 2006, 03:38:24 PM

Why not just grow your pot inside your PC?

I've actually seen some pretty sick stealth cabs, but a PC case would be way too small. A dresser usually works the best. And go Nevada! I hope New Jersey attempts something like that soon!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #30 on: October 23, 2006, 03:49:03 PM

Even that wouldn't tempt me to EVER live in New Jersey again. 

Maybe.

XboxGod
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 24, 2006, 12:53:40 AM

Even that wouldn't tempt me to EVER live in New Jersey again. 

Maybe.

Where did you live in NJ? My fiance and I are going to be moving to AC next summer.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #32 on: October 24, 2006, 07:02:19 AM

Plainsboro, the Un-town... where House lived!  Having said that, I don't think it would be as bad as living in Atlantic City.   You should meet up with Strazos though... he's still stuck in Soprano Land. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Troops battle 10-foot marijuana plants  
Jump to: