Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 01:32:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WoW killer being developed in a messy SF apartment by an unemployed bellhop 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WoW killer being developed in a messy SF apartment by an unemployed bellhop  (Read 16035 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: March 22, 2007, 09:04:12 AM

The only way to make Americans spend dollar coins is MAKE Americans spend dollar coins and nothing else. If you give them the comfortable and familiar, they will stick with it til death.

WayAbvPar

Reply #36 on: March 22, 2007, 09:08:28 AM

Give me a refillable anonymous credstick that can interact with other anonymous credsticks and screw all this physical money crap.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: March 23, 2007, 02:26:11 AM

Give me a refillable anonymous credstick that can interact with other anonymous credsticks and screw all this physical money crap.

Would we really have to call it a 'credstick'? I mean, it's not as if we're all characters from an episode of Buck Rogers or anything.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: March 23, 2007, 04:21:52 AM

We could distinguish between credsticks and checksticks and could be characters from Shadowrun, if you prefer that.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 23, 2007, 10:23:12 AM

Um, we have them.  They are called Debit Cards and Credit Cards.  They aren't universal yet but it's getting there.  I've seen vending machines that take credit cards.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
WayAbvPar

Reply #40 on: March 23, 2007, 10:56:46 AM

Um, we have them.  They are called Debit Cards and Credit Cards.  They aren't universal yet but it's getting there.  I've seen vending machines that take credit cards.

True, but they A) aren't anonymous, and B) can't interact with each other. I would like to be able to pay private debts with electronic funds.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 23, 2007, 11:51:22 AM

I think you just want to live in the Shadowrun world and spend your A rank on Resources.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: March 23, 2007, 01:20:19 PM

I think he just wants to gamble a lot - anonymously.

Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 23, 2007, 01:54:16 PM

Still, in a fight, I'd put my money on Susan.  She's seemed very studly.  I bet she could've kicked the Queen's arse without breaking a sweat.

Right up until all those guys with funny hats and bayonets show up, then lil' old Susan B. would be in a world of hurt.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #44 on: March 23, 2007, 02:39:59 PM

Still, in a fight, I'd put my money on Susan.  She's seemed very studly.  I bet she could've kicked the Queen's arse without breaking a sweat.

Right up until all those guys with funny hats and bayonets show up, then lil' old Susan B. would be in a world of hurt.

Oh right.  There's them, isn't there?  I remember watching some stupid Queenie London parade ages ago and the guys on the horses were whacking the dirty masses off to the side before the Queen's carriage went by.  They're a tough lot, those funny hat guys.  Not as fruity as their uniforms would suggest.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 23, 2007, 06:48:46 PM

Would you like some counterfeit credits with that? :P

You can't have anonymous credit because there has to be a central authority monitoring everything to prevent counterfeiting. So the best you're gonna get is credsticks that interact with eachother and their bank to transfer funds from your account or charge credit to the same.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #46 on: March 23, 2007, 08:28:28 PM

This is a real coin. Minted in palladium, face value of slightly over $400 US. Face value, not poncey bullion or collector value. You could buy an Xbox 360 with one coin. And ask for change.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #47 on: March 24, 2007, 10:38:36 AM

Would you like some counterfeit credits with that? :P

You can't have anonymous credit because there has to be a central authority monitoring everything to prevent counterfeiting. So the best you're gonna get is credsticks that interact with eachother and their bank to transfer funds from your account or charge credit to the same.

The credit doesn't necessarily need to be stored on the stick itself; you could get the same effect by giving each credstick its own "bank account".  Whoever holds the credstick is treated as the account owner.

Also, I'm all in favor of coins with significant values.  One of my favorite things about visiting the UK is being able to pay for so many things with coins instead of bills.  It's just so much easier to dig a handful of coins out of your pocket than it is to dig out your wallet and find a bill in it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rithrin
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 24, 2007, 02:08:01 PM

Also, I'm all in favor of coins with significant values.  One of my favorite things about visiting the UK is being able to pay for so many things with coins instead of bills.  It's just so much easier to dig a handful of coins out of your pocket than it is to dig out your wallet and find a bill in it.

No idea if its just me, but I can't stand when I have to handle coins... especially a handful. I feel like I need to immediately scrub my hands five times lest they smell like copper and whatever else they use in those coins for the rest of the day. This is why I prefer bills, synthetic or otherwise.

The sweetest wine comes from the grapes of victory.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 24, 2007, 02:41:03 PM

Isn't that why they invented money clips? 

Why would you want the weight of a crapload of coins in your pocket.  It's so much easier and convienient to carry around bills then coins because they take up less space for the same quantities and weigh less. And that to me is more significant than the lesser difficulty of pulling out coins then bills (which is neglible tbh) because I don't have to pay for things constantly throughout the day, but I DO have to walk around with the weight of coins in my pocket all day.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #50 on: March 24, 2007, 04:07:30 PM

I hate coins.  Especially pointy ones.  And heavy ones.  Heavy pointy ones are worse than useless.   This is why Brits have so many holes in their trouser pocketses.

Edit:  I also agree about them being smelly.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 06:26:31 PM by Signe »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 24, 2007, 05:20:49 PM

I keep my bills in order, and in a bit of irony, I use a coin purse as my wallet.  After putting my bills, credit cards, and ID in there, I have no room for coins.  I also agree with Rithrin about how they leave my hand feeling dirty.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #52 on: March 24, 2007, 07:28:41 PM

Growing up in a time before ATM's were even a thought in someone's head and if you needed access to your money you had to go to the bank or know the grocery store manager well enough for them to cash a check, I have to say no form of currency beats a debit card. Keep your coins and your paper, the only time I have more than a buck on me is when I know I'm not going to be within a mile of an ATM or using my SBA dollars.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 24, 2007, 07:40:47 PM

No idea if its just me, but I can't stand when I have to handle coins... especially a handful. I feel like I need to immediately scrub my hands five times lest they smell like copper and whatever else they use in those coins for the rest of the day. This is why I prefer bills, synthetic or otherwise.

I hear that. I say keep the change every time I'm getting less than a dollar back, and if non-dollar coins are in the change I get I'll deposit it in the nearest bin (which I'm sure is illegal). Fuck weighing down my pants with cheap bits of metal.

And they always give you the receipt and notes and then pile on the coins, so you have to fuck around with your wallet and contort your hand around to funnel the coins into the coin slot before you can put away the notes and receipt. Which is extra specially fun if your other hand is carrying a shopping bag. Give me notes I say, and make it illegal to have things cost $<whatever>.95 because I don't need that many fucking 5 cent coins.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #54 on: March 24, 2007, 07:55:41 PM

In warm weather, bills are even worse IMO.  Nothing like a wallet full of sweat drenched bills.   tongue

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rithrin
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 25, 2007, 12:14:29 AM

Even on the hottest days of the year, my wallet, while perhaps getting slightly moist itself, tends to keep everything on the inside nice and dry.

I agree with the debit card statement. I keep about five $1 bills in my wallet for things like day-pass parking permits, vending machines, and stuff like that. But I pay everything else in life with my debit card basically. You don't have to worry about getting change back, whether the cashier gave you right amount of money back, just swipe and go.

The sweetest wine comes from the grapes of victory.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #56 on: March 25, 2007, 08:03:00 AM

whether the cashier gave you right amount of money back, just swipe and go.
No but you should definitely make sure they punched in the right amount.  Getting a five dollar bill instead of a ten is annoying, finding out the cashier accidentally pressed the eight and nine keys at the same time (thereby added an entire digit to your purchase) can cause your mortgage/rent payment to bounce.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 25, 2007, 08:15:27 AM

I love those places that don't show the total on the cash register. Nice try bucko, I ain't paying nuthin' until I see the total amount and watch you confirm it.

I'm a debit/credit card fan. I don't mind cash but coins annoy me. I put them in jars and then sort and redeem them for cash or credit.
DataGod
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 27, 2007, 01:06:37 PM

Jesus I didnt know f13 was full of people with OCD about money.....:)
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 27, 2007, 01:11:09 PM

Jesus I didnt know f13 was full of people with OCD about money.....:)

You should create a spreadsheet about it.  cheesy

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
DataGod
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 28, 2007, 12:33:17 PM

Dude do not call on the thunder unless you want to reap the whirlwind (of boardom lol)....heheh
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: March 28, 2007, 01:17:51 PM

I think a chart would be more appropriate.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #62 on: March 28, 2007, 03:06:20 PM

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #63 on: March 28, 2007, 05:59:01 PM

CHART THREAD!

Here's one for you, Feet.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #64 on: March 30, 2007, 03:43:19 PM

CHART THREAD!

What's really sad is that I know what that is....

Rumors of War
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 30, 2007, 05:30:21 PM

CHART THREAD!

What's really sad is that I know what that is....

Looks like a Foot Reflexology chart.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WoW killer being developed in a messy SF apartment by an unemployed bellhop  
Jump to: