Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 11:18:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The kb+mouse vs controller war gets more fuel... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The kb+mouse vs controller war gets more fuel...  (Read 17098 times)
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: July 31, 2010, 07:29:51 PM

Sony doesn't have any stake in high-end PCs that I'm aware of.  Why don't they start shipping a kb+m with the PS3 and destroy Microsoft in one fell swoop if it's that easy?  Why doesn't Nintendo?  Is it because Steve Ballmer has really good blackmail material on them?

I don't the generation that eats up Modern Warfare 2 has the capacity (patience) to move to something unfamiliar to them.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #106 on: July 31, 2010, 11:11:22 PM

That still doesn't address the question. Besides, they all use computers all of the time.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: July 31, 2010, 11:52:30 PM

That still doesn't address the question. Besides, they all use computers all of the time.

So what? They're not going to be used to it for playing games.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #108 on: August 01, 2010, 12:07:36 AM

Maybe you should go back and read Snakecharmer's post that I was replying to.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #109 on: August 01, 2010, 03:01:21 PM

^^^^

Also, every kid with access to a computer will have at least some experience of playing games on it. Not necessarily FPS etc, but some experience of games.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: August 02, 2010, 06:57:19 AM

every shooter is fundamentally superior on a PC.

No.

They're fundamentally better with a m/kb.  If the 360 or PS3 could be allowed to utilize a m/kb for gaming, PC gaming would probably die off rather quickly.  But Microsoft, at least, won't allow that because the lack of PC sales would kill their OS revenue.

You are, of course, correct.  I would be on console shooters like stink on shit if they were kb+m enabled.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: August 02, 2010, 07:02:05 AM

every shooter is fundamentally superior on a PC.

No.

They're fundamentally better with a m/kb.  If the 360 or PS3 could be allowed to utilize a m/kb for gaming, PC gaming would probably die off rather quickly.  But Microsoft, at least, won't allow that because the lack of PC sales would kill their OS revenue.

You are, of course, correct.  I would be on console shooters like stink on shit if they were kb+m enabled.

Heck yea, if they came out with a viable mouse/keyboard and developers started making games with good support for it I would buy a 360 or PS3 immediately (maybe both).  As it stands, I'm just not interested.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: August 02, 2010, 10:15:49 AM

He's correct in that people would probably use them. But not correct in his tin-foil hattery that the reason the 360 doesn't have a kb+mouse is because if they do, Microsoft won't be able to sell enough OS's anymore. *snort*.

I'd imagine, as I said before, the real reason you don't have a kb+mouse for consoles is that they're simply inconvienent to use the way most people use consoles.

Your couch isn't a desk. Or a table. And while you can rig something up, most people won't. And what "most people" do is what drives sales, and these days most people don't even want to bother with a wire connecting them to the console, much less having to figure out where to put the keyboard and mouse, and then using them.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #113 on: August 02, 2010, 10:30:08 AM

But if you put a pillow on the sofa and a book on the pillow and a mouse on the book and you balance your keyboard on your cat or something it works out perfectly!

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  I keed, I keed.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: August 02, 2010, 10:45:54 AM

and these days most people don't even want to bother with a wire connecting them to the console

You say that as if it's a bad thing  Head scratch

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: August 02, 2010, 01:20:28 PM

It is a horrible thing. Wires, connecting to your console? Why not run the whole thing on vacuum tubes? Out of a cave? Written in COBOL?

Of course, my grandkids will probably be playing via direct neural interface. Which will be AWESOME, because given that the average teenage guy thinks about sex approximtely 50,000 times every minute, they'll be playing Halo 15 and tits will keep flashing on the screen as someone stops thinking about shooting the Convenant and starts thinking about that chick that sits behind him during math.
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: August 02, 2010, 01:20:56 PM

A large part of them, yeah.  Not because of FPS games specifically, but because of games in general, especially among the under 25 crowd.  Hell, even as a member of the 35+ crowd, if I could get all my games on a console including MMOs with a m/kb, I'd dump PC gaming entirely.  Why spend $1K plus on a decent PC (that I'll have to build myself) when I can spend $300 on a console and hook it up to my TV?  My current video card cost more than my PS3 did.

More directly, it would cut into the Games For Windows licensing that developers have with MS, which is really where they'd lose revenue.  

Why would you think that the amount of PC's sold that are primarily for game use is "a large part of them"?  Do you think businesses primarily buy their PC's for games?  Hell, what about the many, many netbooks out there, or systems just used by families for taxes, etc..?

I think it's insane to think that the reason there's no prolific Mouse and Keyboard option on consoles is because of OS revenue.  
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:42:01 PM by Valmorian »
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: August 02, 2010, 03:13:24 PM

They're fundamentally better with a m/kb.  If the 360 or PS3 could be allowed to utilize a m/kb for gaming, PC gaming would probably die off rather quickly.

A lot of people who prefer gaming on the PC do so more reasons than just what peripherals are used. With PC gaming, you get wonderful things that add to the value of the box price, like modding, and map editors... But that doesn't gel very well with "Hey, let's charge 15 dollars for 2 recycled maps and 3 new maps" so you're seeing these freedoms slowly fade away with most commercial games. Thankfully; we still have neat games like Minecraft and Mount & Blade to keep the spirit of PC gaming trudging along.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: August 02, 2010, 07:28:58 PM

But Microsoft, at least, won't allow that because the lack of PC sales would kill their OS revenue.

Unlikely. Microsoft has no reason to care about games on the PC over games on the XBox where they have 100% control of the platform both hardware and software. This is partly why microsoft is so meh about supporting xbox games having PC releases. The platforms are highly compatible after all, including both having piracy problems. Indeed the impressive thing is that PC gaming still exists given there's nobody pushing it.

The difference to me comes if you need a computer in which case springing for a decent video card allows you greater than xbox quality for a marginal price. If you just want a platform for games, especially if it's going to be attached to a TV, then a console makes a lot of sense.

Thankfully given the advent of  Heart steam  Heart I don't really care any more. I have enough games on my back-log and there's enough interesting, indie and deep titles around to keep me amused (plus I mostly MMO) and developers beginning to re-consider the platform (re. shatter). The AAA titles will stay on consoles because the market is large, easily seduced by shiny graphics and product tie-ins and the owners of those proprietary platforms are pumping money into it. On the other hand an AAA title has to appeal to the lowest common denominator in order to make back all that money spent on the shiny so a lot of them aren't that interesting (watching someone play crackdown 2 and transformers springing to mind).

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #119 on: August 03, 2010, 01:33:07 AM

If someone built a console mouse that didn't require a desk to use it (some sort of motion control thing) then it could take over as the standard way of controlling console FPSs. Playing Red Steel on the Wii showed the potential for this kind of set-up to work (Red Steel had other problems; playing it just made me feel like I was drunk).

However, I've also been pondering the Dvorak keyboard as an example where a better product runs straight into entrenched market and consumer behaviours, so consoles may continue to be controller only for a while to come.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: August 03, 2010, 08:22:11 AM

If someone built a console mouse that didn't require a desk to use it (some sort of motion control thing) then it could take over as the standard way of controlling console FPSs.

Say, like a trackball?

http://www.trackballworld.com/desktop-usb.html

- Viin
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #121 on: August 03, 2010, 08:25:11 AM

Heh. Ironically I use a trackball for FPS. I utterly suck with a regular mouse.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: August 03, 2010, 08:30:23 AM

I use a Splitfish on my ps3.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:36:05 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #123 on: August 03, 2010, 01:06:21 PM

Review please? I think someone (schild?) was going to do a review of these once, but it ended up not happening for whatever reason and just being "it sucks".

I'd be interested in seeing your perspective.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The kb+mouse vs controller war gets more fuel...  
Jump to: