Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 08:57:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace)  (Read 519405 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #35 on: December 16, 2006, 12:18:57 AM

For those of you who live near there or are willing to relocate how could it hurt to apply?

You can't win big if you don't roll the dice.  That said, I'm pretty happy in my rut, working for a company that's 120 years old.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #36 on: December 16, 2006, 12:33:02 AM

I have no useful experience and will probably come in drunk, sleep on the job, smoke weed in the bathroom, and steal all your office supplies.  That said, please hire me.  I'm a people person.  And honest work sucks.

Also, Sinij may have just made his best post ever.

...in-game adds for penis enlargement (and crafting) are about only innovative thing about the title...

Lawl!

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 16, 2006, 12:46:46 AM

That is so going to be a WOW clone. There's a fucking castle on the home page!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38 on: December 16, 2006, 12:50:54 AM

That's just from the MS PowerPoint CD.  They will get something better once they hire those ex-Blizzard artists.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #39 on: December 16, 2006, 01:57:21 AM

Blah. What a day for my F13 email to go bust. Hey Raph, can you add my f13 email address to the mailing list? I love the smell of press releases in the morning.

Go read the press releases page. :) No mailing list yet.

Yeah. I saw that, oh, five minutes after posting. Go go gadget Jumping The Gun!

Oh well. When you do produce a press mailing list, I will get on it, even if I have to send some large men named Vinnie down there to SoCal.

Don't make me call the Vinnies.
damijin
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 16, 2006, 03:19:57 AM

Fun for everyone, you say?

What about those of us who only have fun at someone else's expense. For it to be fun for me, I must be causing someone else not to have fun... oh god..
PARADOX.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #41 on: December 16, 2006, 05:29:35 AM

When did this turn into a "beg and carp for a job" thread?

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Mr. Right
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 16, 2006, 06:48:46 AM

HRose just made my day.
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #43 on: December 16, 2006, 07:38:33 AM

Feel free to wander around the site and learn about us

So, I'll play.

Given the way the basic logo outline looks, you've read Linked and liked a lot of it, which is good, because I think I read it based on your original recommendation.  You're going to try to break the story genre boundaries and avoid being seen as a Fantasy/Science Fiction/Modern Urban niche service, while catering to all those at once, and there will be dancing.

But I look at the logo, and all I think is, Whoville

Moving is a deal breaker, not that I have the credentials anyways.  But when you do playtester invites let me know.  Contrary to appearances, I can play games and not talk about it in public.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #44 on: December 16, 2006, 07:47:01 AM

There is no room for me in your gainfully employed world.  I'll just lurk outside and poke you with a pokey thing once in a while.  Good-bye Happy Smiley Raph... Hello Pokey Stick holed Raph.   undecided

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #45 on: December 16, 2006, 08:03:22 AM

what is Chris Allen going to be offering?  I know he has groupware assets (?).
Mr. Right
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 16, 2006, 08:11:04 AM

Feel free to wander around the site and learn about us

So, I'll play.

Given the way the basic logo outline looks, you've read Linked and liked a lot of it, which is good, because I think I read it based on your original recommendation.  You're going to try to break the story genre boundaries and avoid being seen as a Fantasy/Science Fiction/Modern Urban niche service, while catering to all those at once, and there will be dancing.

But I look at the logo, and all I think is, Whoville

Good start.

Tackling fantasy, sc fi and modern in a single game seems over ambitious even if it's just providing some toolsets like NWN.  It reminds me an other project...
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 16, 2006, 09:17:17 AM

Putting fantasy and scifi into the same game better not end up as a piece of stylistic shit like Tabula Rasa.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 16, 2006, 09:42:07 AM

I would like to point out that they are actively accepting resumes.  For those of you who live near there or are willing to relocate how could it hurt to apply?

edit.  I would like to point out that this is an awesome opportunity.  How often do people get a shot at working with some of the forerunner of graphical MMO's?  Shit, wish I was not willing to relocate.  I would give it a shot otherwise!

The pay and the idea/implementation could suck. I wouldn't even think about it without finding out what they're going to build first and I'm in the general area. The job listings claim it's revolutionary.

-C++ isn't listed but that could be a given.
-PHP is listed which would probably mean they are going with MySQL.
-A client is listed though it doesn't say what language. Java is listed.
-DirectX/OpenGL are not listed but it could be a given as well.
-150+ simultaneous users is listed.
-Java/Python/Ruby are listed. I'm going to guess Python because EVE has had success with it.
-Flash/Shockwave are not listed.
-A custom scripting language is listed.
-Procedural art isn't listed.
-P2P isn't listed.

If I were to guess this gives us a LAMP server, a 250-500 user interconnectable Python world server, and some kind of (java?) 3D client where you can write your own game scripts. Possibly with user run servers. Or NWN+IMVU+Runescape+SL+Popcap.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #49 on: December 16, 2006, 09:47:59 AM

I thought php worked with MySQL?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #50 on: December 16, 2006, 10:54:39 AM

Young, hungry, idea-filled people with no experience this will attract.  That should be fun.

Nah, there's a lot of folk in the industry who still think Raph has a lot of Nifty Ideas(tm). I'd probably apply for something were I not already quite busy.

Oh, and Krakrok, your analysis of their jobs page is about 99% dead on by my reckoning - a bright future in industry analysis awaits you! Only quibbles I have are that PHP != mySQL, there's plenty of support for heavier dbs now. And the scripts listed aren't necessarily Eve-specific, those are just the new hotness scripting languages. Minus Lua, which may or may not be intentional.)

Analyzing help wanted ads are always fun, you can tell a lot about projects under development because that's precisely the point where they have to decloak just enough to recruit folks. Of course that doesn't prevent "false flags" stuck in ads specifically to throw people off - I'm looking at you, Bioware!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 11:04:24 AM by Lum »
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #51 on: December 16, 2006, 10:59:11 AM

Young, hungry, idea-filled people with no experience this will attract.  That should be fun.

Nah, there's a lot of folk in the industry who still think Raph has a lot of Nifty Ideas(tm). I'd probably apply for something were I not already quite busy.

Good thing.  The awesomess of Raph + Lum + MMO would cause fanbois heads across the earth to pop like grapes. 

There is only so much we can handle.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 16, 2006, 01:07:51 PM

Maybe I will apply. I don't have multiplayer gaming experience (other than messing around with Torque) but I do have network programming experience and I would be best technical hire ever.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 16, 2006, 03:22:39 PM

FTW
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 16, 2006, 04:16:03 PM

I thought php worked with MySQL?
PhP works with anything. It's just commonly used with mySQL, because it's open source. Personally, I loathe PHP just a little less than I loathe all such languages. But then, I've been stuck in web development hell for four years now and am more than a bit sick of it.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 16, 2006, 05:26:45 PM

Only quibbles I have are that PHP != mySQL, there's plenty of support for heavier dbs now. And the scripts listed aren't necessarily Eve-specific, those are just the new hotness scripting languages. Minus Lua, which may or may not be intentional.)

If they want to reduce time to market by leveraging existing PHP applications like IMVU did they almost have to go with MySQL or Postgresql for any web backend stuff. LiveJournal, FriendSter, Habbo Hotel, SecondLife, and the largest dating site all use MySQL. Areae used Oracle at SOE but unless they received more than two million in VC I think it's out of their budget. If they're going with any kind of distributed system Oracle would also be out. Plus what happens if they give everyone a free melon again?

I prefer MSSQL and the 2005 licencing looks pretty cheap but thats just me.

And new hotness scripting languages which are all 10+ years old? :P

I'm just partial to Python because I've done a Python<->C like scripting language bridge and it was pretty dang easy. Delphi for the win.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 05:32:28 PM by Krakrok »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #56 on: December 16, 2006, 05:43:57 PM

Someone wake me up when Raph tries making a Game...

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Gutboy Barrelhouse
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 16, 2006, 05:48:46 PM

I like the thought of having one highly customized toon and living in a 90210 type place and having the ability to travel to westworld in the morning, medieval world in the evening it is intriguing.
schild
Administrator

Reply #58 on: December 16, 2006, 05:52:41 PM

I like the thought of having one highly customized toon and living in a 90210 type place and having the ability to travel to westworld in the morning, medieval world in the evening it is intriguing.

Diet Persona 3?
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 16, 2006, 06:20:32 PM

So...in other words, Second Life? Or am I missing something?

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #60 on: December 16, 2006, 08:28:09 PM

Lua could have been there. I dunno why it isn't, actually.

OpenGL/etc aren't because, well, this is server programming, not client.

BUT apply anyway. If you're good, we won't let you get away even though the spot technically isn't open.

You are right to think that we are modeling on the Web style dev -- LAMP stacks, all that jazz. There are a lot of virtues on that side of the fence that the game world ignores. My talk at GDC this year is actually on this very topic.

Also because of this, if your expertise is primarily web side not game side, we still want to talk to you. You do large scale web database stuff, portals, AJAX, whatever? Email me.

And yeah, we'd talk to someone who was badass at Flash too. I figure, someone who is badass is badass, and the language is a detail.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 16, 2006, 08:38:17 PM

I am sadly a master of AJAX..which I'm almost embarrassed to admit because I hate it so intensly.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 16, 2006, 09:48:29 PM

Hire him already, man wants to be starving art^h^h^hmmorpg developer, let him.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 16, 2006, 10:01:37 PM

I am sadly a master of AJAX..which I'm almost embarrassed to admit because I hate it so intensly.

I have a love/hate relationship with Javascript in general. The whole remote-to-server AJAX usage is neato and stuff, but overkill has quickly crept in. Google Maps (or some of their other apps like Analytics, but NOT Google Reader are too) OTOH is an excellent example of what can be done elegantly.

Been programming primarily in PHP (and server side *nix stuff,  including C network programming) now for over 6+ years (back to when PHP4 was beta shiny). Have used Perl, Python and even recently Ruby on Rails but for large scale stuff I fall back on my own custom framework CMS that I have developed that provides articles, comments, blogs, photo galleries, podcasting, check/credit card e-commerce tie, newsletters, calendar,  banners, user role permissions, etc... …really getting sick of PHP though PHP5 added enough nice-ties to make it OK (i.e., _autoload, static methods/attributes, objects now referenced instead of copied, etc...). Really love Ruby but RoR, despite the fanboy hype, has many issues to resolve that are already solved by PHP -- deployment, instability of FCGI and/or lighttpd/mongrel kinks… …Python is sort of sweet, don't mind the whitespace thing, but the whole declaring "self" as an argument in every object instance method just drives me batty…

MySQL not a given with PHP anymore. PHP5 comes bundled with SQLite, which IMV for most sites, is a better solution. I've also used PostgreSQL and with the new PDO object wrapper, database selection is a moot point anymore…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #64 on: December 16, 2006, 10:02:33 PM

Lua could have been there. I dunno why it isn't, actually.
Lua's not object oriented, that's why it's not there :D I.e. you are presumably looking for somebody who can write a custom object-oriented scripting language to be used as the in-game programming language a la LambdaMOO. Also Java's not a scripting language.
DataGod
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 17, 2006, 12:57:32 AM

I predict 07 will be a very interesting year! :)~~
damijin
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 17, 2006, 01:10:25 AM

I predict 07 will be a very interesting year! :)~~

Better than 06, at least.

But that shouldn't really be too hard considering MMORPG.com had to put a "None of the Above" selection for best new release in their 2006 awards, due to the sheer badness of 2006.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #67 on: December 17, 2006, 03:27:37 AM

Just shows how far behind things really are. For the entire rest of the gaming industry, 2006 has been a pretty great year.
Dundee
Developers

Jeff Freeman

Reply #68 on: December 17, 2006, 03:33:02 AM

Up to you, Righ, we're all about the users. ;)

Open it to internet vote and in a couple of weeks you'll be on Comedy Central, announcing  Stephen Colbert's World of Colbertcraft.

Jeff Freeman
Akkori
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 17, 2006, 12:02:43 PM

I only know enough of any programming language to screw things up, but I *can* write pretty well, and I love complex interactions. Add a dash of creativity, and I could make a good Story/Content guy. Did I mention that I'd work cheap? lol

Well, 2006 has sucked for the virtual-world gamer, and it would be nice to see a new face in town. Maybe a MySpace/Sims/Tycoon/BF2142/ATitD/EVE kind of game?

I love the position : "You're not right until I can prove you wrong!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Raph is no longer taunting us (Metaplace)  
Jump to: