Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 06:54:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  (Read 303153 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1330 on: December 21, 2015, 04:54:00 PM

I saw this yesterday and went back today.  I think I loved it more the second time when I could take more things in.   awesome, for real

Last movie I saw twice in theaters was Dredd.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1331 on: December 22, 2015, 07:54:19 AM

I'll see it again next week when the crowds die down a bit, mostly because the theatre I saw it at had a tiny ass screen and it was hard to see anything clearly.  I liked it but not enough to rush out and see it again.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1332 on: December 22, 2015, 10:16:14 AM

Probably going to see it again on Christmas day when the husband goes to see "Concussion".  I have no desire to see that movie and he already assumed I'd want to see TFA a second time.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1333 on: December 22, 2015, 03:01:17 PM

Some tracks from the motion picture:

March of the Resistance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqKtype7Kk (wow, that's fantastic)
Rey's Theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65As1V0vQDM
The Jedi Steps and Finale - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUBUlKgsNK8

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1334 on: December 22, 2015, 08:07:48 PM

The whole album is on Spotify if you use it.

https://open.spotify.com/album/3fUKGTsiYL1kSroBWBLmmR
spotify:album:3fUKGTsiYL1kSroBWBLmmR

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #1335 on: December 23, 2015, 07:22:21 AM

Some tracks from the motion picture:

March of the Resistance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqKtype7Kk (wow, that's fantastic)
Rey's Theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65As1V0vQDM
The Jedi Steps and Finale - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUBUlKgsNK8

John Williams is the Mozart of our time.   Absolutely no doubt about it.  We live in a time of a genius composer.  

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1336 on: December 24, 2015, 04:21:07 PM

I enjoyed it.  Will probably try to catch it again in the theater while it's playing.

Caught it at 11:30am today.  It's been forever since I saw a movie in a theater and my local cineplex now has some theaters with crazy comfy reclining seats that you reserve when you order tickets.  Wow does that make a big difference to the experience.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1337 on: December 28, 2015, 05:45:55 PM

So... uh, critics who don't like the movie and who are therefore wrecking it's vitally important Rotten Tomato rank, are receiving death threats.

http://inthesetimes.com/article/18720/star_wars_force_awakens_negative_review

It has come to my attention that critics who aren’t totally enthusiastic in their praise of Star Wars: The Force Awakens have received death threats from fans. So I’ve been warned.

Andrew O’Hehir of Salon was apparently the first reviewer to pan the film, thus ruining its perfect Rotten Tomatoes 100 percent Fresh score and earning the terrifying enmity of people who sometimes dress as Wookies and Ewoks.

Though, as O’Hehir pointed out in a published response to the comments urging him to kill himself, his criticism was relatively mild. He argued that too much emphasis was placed on the return of the trilogy’s beloved characters, Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Han Solo (Harrison Ford), and Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher). And by having the new characters Rey (Daisy Ridley), Finn (John Boyega), and Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac) enact a plot broadly similar to the first Star Wars film back in 1977, The Force Awakens was too familiar, a retread rather than a reboot.

Frankly, I could say far worse things about the film, oh so many things that would presumably lead to my assassination by a fanboy death squad. The Force Awakens is one big mass of holes and botches—the kind of big, open, inviting targets that seem to beg you to hit them, in the immortal words of Resistance fighter pilot Poe Dameron, “with everything you’ve got!”

The aforementioned letter to the people who want him to die is sumarised here

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/dec/24/star-wars-the-force-awakens-fans-hate-mail-critic-bad-review
A US critic has penned an open letter to angry Star Wars fans after being hit with a barrage of hatemail over his negative review of new instalment The Force Awakens.

Andrew O’Hehir of Salon magazine is one of just a handful of reviewers to have given JJ Abrams’ space opera reboot a poor verdict - the film has a 95% “fresh” rating on the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes. After being tagged as part of a Twitter meme, along with several other journalists who delivered a negative verdict, he was told to “die (like Roger Ebert did) and leave us alone” by one Canadian Star Wars fan. O’Hehir has now hit back at his critics in an online essay.

“Why is it important to fans of a hugely popular movie, which has already dominated the entertainment media for weeks and will surely wind up among the top-grossing releases of all time, that no one disagrees with them or adopts a more detached perspective?” asks a bewildered O’Hehir. “Why are dissenters from a mass-culture wave phenomenon like The Force Awakens or the Avengers and Dark Knight movies so often subjected to venom and name-calling?

“Have we dampened their enormous collective love-fest with our complaints (many of which are exceptionally mild in nature) or our attitudes of irritating intellectual dispassion? Have we cast doubt on the movie’s box-office prospects, or endangered the production of future sequels?”

Er, guess so...

Hic sunt dracones.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1338 on: December 28, 2015, 06:26:45 PM

And he's surprised by their reaction? Hrrm methinks he loves the publicity.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1339 on: December 28, 2015, 07:19:19 PM

Publish a review for clickbait on the internet and you're surprised by the vitriol?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1340 on: December 28, 2015, 07:26:29 PM

He's not surprised at all.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1341 on: December 28, 2015, 10:16:17 PM

But was he asking for it?  why so serious?

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1342 on: December 28, 2015, 10:43:22 PM

But was he asking for it?  why so serious?
More, "counting on it". And hoping for more, now that he is feeding the trolls.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1343 on: December 29, 2015, 01:37:46 AM

The guy works for Salon, that's punishment enough.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1344 on: December 29, 2015, 05:13:55 AM

He's also fucking full of himself. Wow.  Intellectual dispassion? 

No good critic thinks they're the be all arbiter whose critical eye is the sole assessor of flaw.   They recognize they have biases but still have strong opinions. This isn't science it's culture critique and subject to taste. What a douche.

That said, the butt hurt fanboys need to crawl back to their holes and recognize its a movie not a goddamn religion. He's right in his critique but who cares, it was still a great movie for the series. They're acting worse than the Twilight fans they mocked a few years ago and are likely even more socially inept.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1345 on: December 29, 2015, 10:31:09 AM

Technically in some places, Jedi is a religion.  why so serious?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1346 on: December 29, 2015, 12:11:51 PM

I saw this.  Found out I'm done with Star Wars.

Oh well.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1347 on: December 29, 2015, 12:38:41 PM

At least you admit it to yourself rather than pitch fits about how it should be different.

Goddamn maturity.  awesome, for real

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1348 on: December 29, 2015, 01:14:33 PM

Seen. Enjoyed the experience, first third espeicially.

Clearly designed by committee and lacks any invention, but if I'd just spent four billion on the rights I'd probably have made something similar as the first movie out of the gate.

Best I could have expected from JJA and I don't mean that as criticism.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1349 on: January 05, 2016, 03:57:03 AM

Completely agree with the above.

Second half was a bit rushed, whole film lacked a bit of the Star Wars pacing and buildup and tension, things were raised and resolved too quickly and it just jumped through the hoops too quickly.

But I enjoyed it despite all that.

Not especially confident they will get it right when they're not following the dot points and are heading out on their own for the next few.

All Harrison Ford was the only actor with any personality and the villain was very light weight, without pulling credit from vadar with the ship shots he was almost meaningless.

Edit: the more I think about it the less I like it. But I did enjoy it in the cinema. It's just, so lightweight, doesn't have the sense of universe of the other films. Everything is in front of you, there are few suggestions of a wider universe.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:26:49 AM by lamaros »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1350 on: January 05, 2016, 06:15:10 AM

All Harrison Ford was the only actor with any personality and the villain was very light weight, without pulling credit from vadar with the ship shots he was almost meaningless.

Edit: the more I think about it the less I like it. But I did enjoy it in the cinema. It's just, so lightweight, doesn't have the sense of universe of the other films. Everything is in front of you, there are few suggestions of a wider universe.

The second half was rushed and did feel "small" with the instant travel times and stuff. (Which JJ did in Trek too.) I disagree about the actors as I feel everyone was great in this movie. (Well, the major characters). I also quite like Kylo Ren as he is a very different villain than what we usually get in Star Wars.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1351 on: January 05, 2016, 06:25:59 AM

JJ Abrams made a good movie, good acting good characters good set pieces. Zoom out a little further and you'll quickly discover he made a bad star wars movie.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1352 on: January 05, 2016, 11:08:28 PM

JJ Abrams made a good movie, good acting good characters good set pieces. Zoom out a little further and you'll quickly discover he made a bad star wars movie.

All Star Wars movies are bad to some extent, this is just bad in a way that pisses you personally off.

I've never been a big Star Wars person but I readily see how this has less of the imagination and scope that the real nerds might want, however I enjoyed it much more than any of the others at the time of watching.

If you want Star Wars to be a thing you obsess and pore your energy in to, Star Citizen style, maybe it's not great. But I'll take this over Jar Jar any day of the week as something I have to actually watch.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1353 on: January 05, 2016, 11:21:45 PM

To say this wasn't a star wars movie is just taking what people said about star trek and trolling with it.  This was literally by the numbers star wars, is was at maximum capacity for star wars and what many people(rightly) do complain about is that it was too much of the same but to say it wasn't star wars is just flat out wrong.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1354 on: January 06, 2016, 02:10:20 AM

It was bad star wars didn't say it wasn't star wars. A good star wars material expands or adds to the lore. This movie does none of that, instead just rides nostalgia down to the closing credits. It didn't have to be good star wars, just needed to be well acted and directed.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1355 on: January 06, 2016, 10:51:35 AM

It was bad star wars didn't say it wasn't star wars. A good star wars material expands or adds to the lore. This movie does none of that, instead just rides nostalgia down to the closing credits. It didn't have to be good star wars, just needed to be well acted and directed.

You're wrong. You need to just give this crusade up and walk away.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1356 on: January 06, 2016, 05:51:23 PM

This movie is so bad it's already passed Avatar for domestic box office.   awesome, for real
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1357 on: January 06, 2016, 06:14:14 PM

Transformers: Age of Extinction currently ranks 12 all time, so let's not get too excited about using gross to talk about whether movies are good or not.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1358 on: January 06, 2016, 06:22:27 PM

We could use the metric of repeated viewings however.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1359 on: January 06, 2016, 06:28:39 PM

Transformers: Age of Extinction currently ranks 12 all time, so let's not get too excited about using gross to talk about whether movies are good or not.

Yeah, but that's mainly due to China.  Star Wars has done 3 times Transformers domestically alone.

Also not saying that all these big box office movies are great... I thought Avatar was very meh... and I might have actually enjoyed Transformers more.  However, with social media nowadays it's easier for a movie to have a huge first weekend then die the next.  Star Wars has been continually performing for the last 3 weeks.. which of course are people viewing it more than once, but also people that normally don't watch movies like this are seeing it.  Hell I was surprised to see that almost all of my family has seen it, and most of them rarely go to the theaters for a movie.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1360 on: January 06, 2016, 06:58:15 PM

Let it go, drider.  We didn't listen to the 40 somethings shit on Fast and Furious in 2001, or Mission Impossible in 1996. Why listen to them about Star Wars in 2016?

why so serious?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1361 on: January 06, 2016, 07:19:02 PM

I'm on the TFA is good side of things, I just don't think ticket sales has anything to do with evaluating whether or not it's good.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1362 on: January 06, 2016, 07:48:42 PM

Well from MY point of view you're saying it was bad!

Traitor.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #1363 on: January 06, 2016, 09:29:58 PM

I'm rapidly approaching 50 and I thought TFA was a good star wars movie.

/shrugs
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1364 on: January 07, 2016, 01:11:37 AM

Of course it was a good Star Wars movie.  It couldn't help it, seeing it was exactly the same as ANH.

As I'd mentioned in the other thread, It was an ok movie, it turns out it's ME that's done with Star Wars.  I suspect a few of you in this thread would be happier (and posting less) if you admitted it's the same for you.

Also, JJ Abrams utterly sucks and it mystifies me why people like his stuff.  He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman.  Take your time and try to inject some wonder into the performance, you fucking dipshit.  While that style worked out all right for his first Trek, it didn't really work out here and it certainly didn't work in the second Trek.

I love that traitor pic tho.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  
Jump to: