Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 07:48:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  (Read 303154 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1155 on: November 24, 2015, 12:05:02 PM

He can go fuck himself. After the prequels almost spoiled the franchise for me completely, I'm more than happy to not see the stories he wanted to tell on screen.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1156 on: November 24, 2015, 12:09:18 PM

Please, soaps have more advanced acting.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1157 on: November 24, 2015, 02:33:46 PM

Wife told me to avoid Facebook because something regarding Luke is trending and it's spoilery.  This does not make me pleased, I don't want shit spoiled for me.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1158 on: November 24, 2015, 02:37:58 PM

I heard that there's a time travel plot twist a la nuTrek and it turns out that Luke is Jar Jar's father.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1159 on: November 24, 2015, 02:40:08 PM

I heard that there's a time travel plot twist a la nuTrek and it turns out that Luke is Jar Jar's father.
Well, Jar-Jar was Sith....https://www.reddit.com/comments/3qvj6w

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #1160 on: November 24, 2015, 05:59:53 PM

Wife told me to avoid Facebook because something regarding Luke is trending and it's spoilery.  This does not make me pleased, I don't want shit spoiled for me.

Yup, its getting into avoid-the-entire-internet territory soon.  You know the spoilering is going to make snapekilleddumbledore.com look like child's play.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1161 on: November 24, 2015, 06:05:23 PM

I've started trying to avoid even the trailers anymore. I really want to see this thing as fresh as possible.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1162 on: November 24, 2015, 11:13:01 PM

I hesitate even opening this fucking thread.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1163 on: November 25, 2015, 02:05:24 AM

This is one thing I really don't trust Abrams with.

Make a cool star wars adventure with new characters? Sure.
Throw in a cameo role for old versions of OT characters? OK.
Make one of them the central twist of your plot or do something to challenge our view of Luke or Leia? Hmm, not convinced this team is going to be able to sell that.

The obvious possible twist based on those trailers.... I find it really hard to imagine a JJ Abrams film selling that, but not at all difficilt to imagine him trying.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1164 on: November 25, 2015, 05:57:33 AM

Kasdan and Arndt were also writers. I have hopes that if there is a twist Kasdan helped to craft it.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1165 on: November 25, 2015, 07:05:59 AM

I wonder if Boyega's accent goes from British (imp) to American (reb) as the movie goes on.  And Rey's does the opposite.  That'd actually be kinda cool.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1166 on: November 25, 2015, 09:27:57 AM

Kasdan and Arndt were also writers. I have hopes that if there is a twist Kasdan helped to craft it.

I think we've done this in more detail earlier in the thread, but it has been 30 years since Kasdan wrote a good script. The guy has retired. So we can hope, but I'm going in with my script expectations set to 'Director wrote own screenplay as he went along'.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1167 on: November 26, 2015, 09:50:04 PM

The Luke thing is less spoilery than watching any of the trailers.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1168 on: December 12, 2015, 07:00:39 AM

Been working on my kids subtly for a year and now their ready.

I've seen every version of the good three. But it's been a long while.

Which version now available, on media on streaming, has the best quality and is the closest to the original vision (ideally a Han-shot-first version).

Not so worried about future-proofing for 4K, but that would be a nice to have.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1169 on: December 12, 2015, 10:32:07 AM

None are available on legal streaming, you can find the SE versions a few places but they're only a takedown notice away from being gone. There's digital HD editions that came out in April but meh. I'm still a physical copy kinda guy. Plus it's $89 for the full set and at that price for digital media I say, "nay."

The HD digital and Blu-Ray set you can get on Amazon for $40 are the specialized blu-ray editions with Hayden Christensen as Anakin, and the HORRIBLE edit of Vader yelling "Nooooo" (dubbed from EPIII) as he rescues Luke from Palpatine.

Seriously. I wish I was fucking with you there.

No 4k editions have been released at all.

Only ONE set in the Post-VHS era has come out with the OT theatrical release alongside the Special Editions. You can find this set for ~$150 on Amazon via third parties but need to know which edition you're looking for: the 2006 version. It's the Gold limited-edition box with a bonus disk for each movie. It wasn't a boxed set, you have to find each individual movie. I've got it and it's the only copy I watch when I want a fix. I'm too worried my old VHS copies will crumble at this point since they're 25 years old.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 10:34:27 AM by Merusk »

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1170 on: December 12, 2015, 11:00:17 AM

Awesome thanks, will take a look.

I'm ok with a digital version if it's 4K, but that doesn't sound like it's possible.

And I'm totally ok paying for it. Shit, did it in every other format that came along, might as well again  Ohhhhh, I see.

Any idea if the one on Amazon Prime and iTunes is a) the same; and, b) the bullshit version with Christiansen? The part that always jumps out of me as just plain wrong is I think it's Ep 4 when Vader is tromping in the hallway. In the original he's all angry saying "bring my shuttle". In the new version it's some stupid longer speech where James Earl Jones sounded like he was trying to be scheme-y.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1171 on: December 12, 2015, 01:37:24 PM

The Prime and iTunes versions are the same, and yes it's the one with Christensen as Vader at the end of Jedi. That's the last version Lucas approved to be released so until he's dead that's all we're going to get as a retail release.

Yes, he sold the IP but he still gets final say over what editions of the original are out there. This is the reason Disney hasn't released a Blu-Ray of the unedited OT even though they KNOW it'd be money-hats.

I agree with the alteration of the, 'bring me my shuttle,' line. It doesn't fit the tone of the scene right as the more terse version displays how pissed Vader is. "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival" is far too thoughtful for that moment.  That it's been scabbed onto Empire with video* from Jedi makes it even worse because the exact same scene less than 30 minutes later if you watch them back to back.

* ed: Audio was overdubbed, it was the video I was thinking of. Though the audio IS terrible. It's apparently either a JEJ impersonator who also did Maul's voice or JEJ sounds much worse because he's 25 years older when the line was recorded.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:46:35 PM by Merusk »

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1172 on: December 13, 2015, 08:14:04 AM

Go find a copy of the despecialized edition.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1173 on: December 13, 2015, 01:57:38 PM

Got my ticket for the 16th at 5.30pm. My local theater will also show it at 10.30am (yep, AM not PM  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? ; and by looking at the bookings, it's almost a full house at that time too) beside the usual evening slots.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1174 on: December 13, 2015, 04:37:21 PM

I got tickets for a dine in theatre on Friday in the afternoon.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1175 on: December 13, 2015, 04:49:16 PM

Imax and both theaters in driving distance are sold out for the first 3 days, all shows.  That is fucking crazy.  We do actually have a lot of gamers and comic nerds in this area though.. but still. 
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1176 on: December 13, 2015, 05:02:28 PM

I am in west bumfuck, Kansas, and the local theaters are sold out until Saturday.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1177 on: December 13, 2015, 06:31:21 PM

Imax and both theaters in driving distance are sold out for the first 3 days, all shows.  That is fucking crazy.  We do actually have a lot of gamers and comic nerds in this area though.. but still. 

Star Wars excitement extends beyond the simplistic "gamers and comic nerds", hence why it's already breaking box office records without even opening yet.

beer geek.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1178 on: December 13, 2015, 06:38:04 PM

Breaking is an understatement.  It shattered the previous presage record by being 10x larger.

If you don't have a ticket by now the chances of getting one are slim.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1179 on: December 14, 2015, 03:57:15 AM

Got my ticket for the 16th at 5.30pm. My local theater will also show it at 10.30am (yep, AM not PM  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? ; and by looking at the bookings, it's almost a full house at that time too) beside the usual evening slots.

Hah, I'm gonna see it 10 minutes earlier than you sucka!

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1180 on: December 14, 2015, 04:45:51 AM

Breaking is an understatement.  It shattered the previous presage record by being 10x larger.

If you don't have a ticket by now the chances of getting one are slim.

Yep, I purchased two one month ago, although SW hype here in Italy isn't comparable to US of A's one  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1181 on: December 14, 2015, 06:12:48 AM

I'm excited but have no desire to deal with crowds of unwashed masses; I'll give it a week or so then go see it. Not really worried about spoilers since SW isn't really about clever storytelling.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1182 on: December 14, 2015, 09:30:17 AM

My boss booked the three of us in our department to the 3:40 showing this Friday so I get to miss work AND don't have to pay for the ticket.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1183 on: December 14, 2015, 10:21:00 AM

I miss the days when I was excited to be at the opening weekend of a movie... kinda like I miss that Xmas morning feeling, meaning the dead child inside my subconscious twitches when I think about it.

I honestly can't wait to see the sweeping reviews that give this movie the best ever review and the worst possible review in history - to which internet hordes will split off into their respective groups and write volumes of text to defend their group.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1184 on: December 14, 2015, 10:32:57 AM

My boss booked the three of us in our department to the 3:40 showing this Friday so I get to miss work AND don't have to pay for the ticket.

Now that's a Mensch of the Year award right there.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #1185 on: December 14, 2015, 10:55:26 AM

Tickets at 4pm on Friday. Plan to be in line by about 1:30pm to make sure we don't have to sit in the front row. Wife is going to drop my son off after school so he can join me in line.

I am just hoping I am not at the theatre that gets shot up by a madman. Because you know it is going to happen.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1186 on: December 14, 2015, 10:56:42 AM

Tickets at 4pm on Friday. Plan to be in line by about 1:30pm to make sure we don't have to sit in the front row. Wife is going to drop my son off after school so he can join me in line.

I am just hoping I am not at the theatre that gets shot up by a madman. Because you know it is going to happen.

That's the right attitude!  why so serious?

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1187 on: December 14, 2015, 11:10:06 AM

Tickets for 11:30 Thursday night and the local theatre has assigned seating with the recliner chairs.  Oh yeah, so looking forward to this.  Boss just scheduled a PM team meeting for 1pm Friday though, which means I either dial in to the meeting or drag my ass out of bed and go into work.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1188 on: December 14, 2015, 11:49:56 AM

After hearing a Ram 1500 radio commercial that started off (and ended) as a Star Wars commercial, I may just skip this movie as a protest against over-hyping.

Or I may just miss it because I have two small kids at home and a wife who doesn't really care for Star WarsTrek anyways.

- Viin
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1189 on: December 14, 2015, 11:52:14 AM

I fully plan on seeing it, but I figure I can just see it whenever.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  
Jump to: