Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 04:21:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  (Read 303175 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #875 on: August 28, 2015, 09:51:50 AM

It's possible. But I'm not laying odds against the simpler and entirely ok by me explanation that there is a trainee jedi in this movie.

And if I were marketing this movie, I'd want to manage fans expectations on the issue of whether, like in every other part of the canon, Main Character is a jedi.

Otherwise half the audience will just bitch about it later. For further clarity on why this is being spoiled, imagine if WUA was srill posting here.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:56:55 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #876 on: August 28, 2015, 09:55:44 AM

Nerds complain about everything and anything.
As evidenced ad nauseum here at f13!

[snip]

The shadow of the gun and strap bothers me more than it should.

Is that wry self-deprecation?  I think it is!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #877 on: August 28, 2015, 11:13:16 AM

Nay, 'twas but an artistic critique. Quite another thing, entirely.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #878 on: September 23, 2015, 03:25:01 PM

In "fuck please God no" rumour news;

http://www.therealstanlee.com/hayden-christensen-may-be-reprising-his-iconic-role-in-star-wars-episode-viii

While Star Wars fans are sweating the arrival of the highly anticipated film Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, the second movie in the new trilogy is already beginning to take shape. While next to nothing is actually known about the eighth episode a very interesting bit of information has surfaced which could mean the return of an icon.

Rumors about the appearance of Darth Vader in Gareth Edwards' Star Wars: Rouge One have been circulating for quite some time, but now there's some even bigger news. Hayden Christensen might just be returning to reprise his role as the Sith lord in the yet unnamed Star Wars: Episode VIII.

Although not all fans and critics were entirely taken by Christensen's performance in the arguably infamous Star Wars prequels, it's hard to imagine anyone else taking up the helm as Anakin Skywalker, especially considering how much of the original cast will be returning to set.

Hic sunt dracones.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #879 on: September 23, 2015, 03:26:53 PM

Stick him in the Vader suit and have Jones do the voice over.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #880 on: September 23, 2015, 03:34:42 PM

they could, but if they get him they will having him running about Dark Helmet style.

Hic sunt dracones.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #881 on: September 23, 2015, 04:42:44 PM

Just do the same as they did in the original. Get a bodybuilder who can emote. Lord knows Christensen's Vader was too goddamn short and scrawny.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #882 on: September 23, 2015, 04:55:54 PM

I can think of half a dozen of the 501st Legion Vaders that could do the body acting for Vader better than Christensen. But fuck it, it's probably about 30 seconds worth of ghost/hologram Vader, anyway.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #883 on: September 24, 2015, 02:01:05 AM

Although not all fans and critics were entirely taken by Christensen's performance in the arguably infamous Star Wars prequels, it's hard to imagine anyone else taking up the helm as Anakin Skywalker, especially considering how much of the original cast will be returning to set.

Everything about this sentence is ridiculous.

"I can't imagine Vader not being played by that guy who did such a bad job in the prequels that his performance instantly became the butt of jokes and memes!"
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:54:32 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #884 on: September 24, 2015, 03:45:15 AM

Not that I feel particularly like defending the guy, but I always thought most of the things I disliked about Hayden in those movies was due to the ham-fisted screenplay and direction by George.  As witnessed also in cringe-worthy performances by Natalie Portman, Samuel Jackson, Ian McDiarmid, Ewan McGregor, Christopher Lee and countless other perfectly talented people.  Some of them occasionally rose above the content they were portraying, but most of it was pretty bad. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #885 on: September 24, 2015, 04:20:00 AM

Yeah, pretty much.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #886 on: September 24, 2015, 04:21:45 AM

Which is to say, give him a shot.  Maybe he can....redeem...himself.  Haha I slay me.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #887 on: September 24, 2015, 04:45:54 AM

My problem with him wasn't the acting, for the reason you mention. (Although follow-up performances haven't been much better) My objection is entirely around size and emote ability. Prowse was a good 6" taller than Sir Alec at 6'-5" to 5'-10" Christensen is maybe 2-3" taller than Guinness at a listed 6'-0"

Vader is all about the gesticulation and James Earl Jones' voice. Go back and watch how very Hammy most of the iconic Vader scenes are. They work because he's a big ass man in an all black suit flailing about with his hands like it's an Italian stage production.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #888 on: September 24, 2015, 05:41:43 AM

Well, for them to even bring him back, I think it implies no gesticulating and posturing in a black suit and helmet.  They can get any schlub for that.  Maybe it is just blue glowy that we would see.  Or maybe it is all bullshit and who cares.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #889 on: September 24, 2015, 05:44:58 AM

Likely it's for a short scene without the mask on to show him as a younger Anakin in the suit.  That way you can contrast it with ep6 where he is much much older.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #890 on: September 24, 2015, 06:45:56 AM

Go back and watch how very Hammy most of the iconic Vader scenes are.

OK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3lScCvnkEQ

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #891 on: September 24, 2015, 06:56:24 AM

I don't think there's an actor in all of Hollywood who could have made Anakin's shitty lines work.   The acting wasn't great, but I see most of the prequels problems stemming from the writing.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #892 on: September 24, 2015, 07:08:08 AM

For fun, a random sampling of quotes from IMDB. Try to come up with how you would deliver these lines without sounding like a robot:

Anakin: We will find out who's trying to kill you, Padmé. I promise you.

Obi-Wan: Where are you going? He went that way!
Anakin: Master, if we keep this chase going any longer that creep is gonna end up deep fried. And personally, I'd very much like to find out who he is, and who he's working for. This is a short cut... I think.
Obi-Wan: Well, you've lost him!

Anakin: She went into the club, master.
Obi-Wan: Patience. Use the force. Think.

Anakin: Attachment is forbidden. Possession is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is essential to a Jedi's life. So you might say, that we are encouraged to love.

Anakin: It doesn't have to be that way. We could keep it a secret.
Padme: We'd be living a lie. One we couldn't keep, even if we wanted to. I couldn't do that. Could you, Anakin? Could you live like that?

Padme: I do not like this idea of hiding.
Anakin: Sometimes we must do what is requested of us.

Anakin: I've heard this lesson before.
Obi-Wan: You haven't learned anything, Anakin.

Anakin: Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever.

Anakin: Excuse me, I'm in charge of security here, milady.

It's endless:

Anakin: Don't be afraid.
Padme: I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life.
Anakin: What are you talking about?
Padme: I love you.
Anakin: You love me? I thought we had decided not to fall in love. That we'd be forced to live a lie and that it would destroy our lives.
Padme: I think our lives are about to be destroyed anyway. I truly... deeply... love you and before we die I want you to know.

And of course, George's ultimate writing masterpiece:

Padme: We used to come here for school retreat. We would swim to that island every day. I love the water. We used to lie out on the sand and let the sun dry us and try to guess the names of the birds singing.
Anakin: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #893 on: September 24, 2015, 07:12:08 AM

Read Anakin's lines with Rodney Dangerfield's voice.

"I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth."
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:13:44 AM by Yegolev »

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #894 on: September 24, 2015, 07:14:53 AM

After the big fight:

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #895 on: September 24, 2015, 09:25:02 AM

Nothing wrong with HC's acting. Lucas is obsessed with old serials and he writes and directs as such.  Look at the titles; The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, etc.  they are deliberately cheesy in homage to the old Buck Rogers stuff.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #896 on: September 24, 2015, 09:30:03 AM

Nothing wrong with HC's acting....
Except that I've seen his non-SW roles and he is no good in most of them as well...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #897 on: September 24, 2015, 09:41:25 AM

I'm not sure why we can't entertain the possibility that Lucas's dialog sucked giant bowls of monkey dick and that Hayden Christensen is a really bad actor. Nothing I've seen contradicts both conditions being 100% true.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #898 on: September 24, 2015, 09:43:38 AM

Go back and watch how very Hammy most of the iconic Vader scenes are.

OK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3lScCvnkEQ

Exactly! I love that clip.

Nothing wrong with HC's acting....
Except that I've seen his non-SW roles and he is no good in most of them as well...

Yup.

Lucas was a terrible director, but HC is no great shakes at acting. He's been just as wooden in everything I've seen him in.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0159789/

For fun, a random sampling of quotes from IMDB. Try to come up with how you would deliver these lines without sounding like a robot:

Ford pulled it off and his lines were equally dumb for Leia/ Han. He just was better at it and Lucas didn't have this unassailable aura at the time.

Han Solo: Hey, Your Worship, I'm only trying to help.
Princess Leia: Would you please stop calling me that?
Han Solo: Sure, Leia.
Princess Leia: You make it so difficult sometimes.
Han Solo: I do, I really do. You could be a little nicer, though. Come on, admit it. Sometimes you think I'm all right.
Princess Leia: Occasionally, maybe... when you aren't acting like a scoundrel.
Han Solo: Scoundrel? Scoundrel? I like the sound of that.
[Han starts to massage Leia's hand]
Princess Leia: Stop that.
Han Solo: Stop what?
Princess Leia: [timidly] Stop that. My hands are dirty.
Han Solo: My hands are dirty, too. What are you afraid of?
Princess Leia: Afraid?
Han Solo: You're trembling.
Princess Leia: I'm not trembling.
[Han moves in closer]
Han Solo: You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: I'm nice men.
Princess Leia: No, you're not. You're...
[they kiss]
That's Jackie Collins level dialogue written for 12 year old boys. You just think it's good because of nostalgia, it's not. The ACTING made it good.

I'm not sure why we can't entertain the possibility that Lucas's dialog sucked giant bowls of monkey dick and that Hayden Christensen is a really bad actor. Nothing I've seen contradicts both conditions being 100% true.

Yes.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #899 on: September 24, 2015, 09:54:10 AM

Is that from the script or from a slash fiction?  I'm not sure.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #900 on: September 24, 2015, 10:37:23 AM

That's the script. I remember those lines well. And yes, those lines weren't great writing - Ford and Fisher just were able to act and they had onscreen chemistry. Honestly, I think most "romantic" lines like that are really terrible whether they are on the written page, onscreen or in person by people who actually mean them. The difference is that in 2 of those 3 interactions, we have human beings emitting emotions with body language and inflection, and in the 3rd we have one egotist writing what he thinks people should be saying and trying to describe how they would say it (which a writer can't do if all he can write on the page is dialog).

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #901 on: October 10, 2015, 06:28:00 PM

I found this lolworthy... seems like Michael B. Jordan is being rumored to be the new Boba Fett.  I wonder how much bigger the nerd rage over this will be compared to the Human Torch casting.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #902 on: October 10, 2015, 07:19:27 PM

I'm cool as long as Fett never removes his mask. Otherwise, the only actor that should play him is Temuera Morrison.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #903 on: October 10, 2015, 07:22:12 PM

Ep7 fett wouldn't be the original anyways, there will be some sort of passing of the mantle.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #904 on: October 10, 2015, 07:22:47 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #905 on: October 10, 2015, 07:32:14 PM

Well, Boba was a clone of Jango, and you know how when you make a copy of a copy....

--Signature Unclear
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #906 on: October 10, 2015, 07:32:23 PM

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #907 on: October 10, 2015, 07:39:07 PM

You may be right. I read it my way, but your way works too.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #908 on: October 10, 2015, 07:55:27 PM

You may be right. I read it my way, but your way works too.

Also apparently Boba Fett is shown to be in the Jakku DLC that is coming with Battlefront pre-orders.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #909 on: October 15, 2015, 09:03:01 AM

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  
Jump to: