Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 12:07:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  (Read 303140 times)
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: December 02, 2014, 07:25:58 PM

I still can't fathom how we got from the opening scene of ANH to "the taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems are in dispute" and an opening scene in a fucking CONFERENCE ROOM.  

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #596 on: December 02, 2014, 09:59:41 PM

I have always sort of wondered that. It expresses a real specific sort of wayward authoritarian control over the plot, script, and storyboarding, and it seems to indicate that Lucas or whoever else could have possibly input to this was really not beholden to any sort of system known (or notorious) for making movies accessible, or really artistically lauded, or compelling in their pacing, or consistent in their tone.

And the whole start of episode one is so oddly none of these things? It is kind of amazing.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #597 on: December 03, 2014, 04:02:49 AM

Can we agree that they achieve some minimal level of competency that makes them watchable without the aid of prescription drugs?

I'm on prescription drugs. The movies are still shite.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: December 03, 2014, 04:39:29 AM

Christ, you sound like me.  Cheer up.   why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #599 on: December 03, 2014, 09:04:50 AM

Can we agree that they achieve some minimal level of competency that makes them watchable without the aid of prescription drugs?

I'm on prescription drugs. The movies are still shite.

Thanks, NHS!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: December 03, 2014, 09:36:10 AM

Christ, you sound like me.  Cheer up.   why so serious?

[/Needsmoredrugs!!!]

Hic sunt dracones.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #601 on: December 03, 2014, 09:38:31 AM

Quote from: Tannhauser link=topic=24056.msg1333943#msg1333943

Yeah, what Colbert said!  He's got me beat by two weeks; I didn't go on release night back in 1977, the line curled around the Cine Capri theater in Phoenix.  I had to come back for a matinee the next day.  I was fourth in line and my 14 year old mind was blown away.  I'm hoping for the same experience next year.

Here's the movie theater, it was awesome. http://www.harkinstheatres.com/aboutCineCapri.aspx

Yeah, the Cine Capri was an awesome theater. I was so sad when it got shuttered.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #602 on: December 03, 2014, 11:12:09 AM

I got to see the full trilogy there when it rereleased, quite fun. But packed. The new Cine Capri in Snotsdale isn't even close to as cool.

I'll go see this film, I just hope it's more fun than Phantom Menace.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #603 on: December 03, 2014, 05:03:37 PM

I actually like this shot much better when I can see what the hell is going on.

I'm trying to think of what to call this camera technique.  It's not shaky-cam.  I'm thinking "double dutch angle".

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #604 on: December 03, 2014, 05:04:19 PM

I'm trying to think of what to call this camera technique.  It's not shaky-cam.  I'm thinking "double dutch angle".

follow-cam or trailer-cam.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #605 on: December 03, 2014, 05:06:05 PM

I should clarify -- in the actual footage the camera is rolling around (like a very extreme version of a dutch angle) as it follows the subject (the gif is showing you a stabilized version with the box indicating the original framing).  That's the thing I don't know the name for.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: December 03, 2014, 07:22:30 PM

I'm actually surprised the Tie Fighter design wasn't updated in some fashion.

Empire using relic spaceships, new stormtrooper armor, return of Sith ... Ah, New Empire.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #607 on: December 03, 2014, 08:51:12 PM

I should clarify -- in the actual footage the camera is rolling around (like a very extreme version of a dutch angle) as it follows the subject (the gif is showing you a stabilized version with the box indicating the original framing).  That's the thing I don't know the name for.

I think we call it shitty camera work.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #608 on: December 03, 2014, 10:42:05 PM

Maybe it's supposed to be the viewpoint of another ship that is trying to follow the Falcon.  If it isn't, then they just swirled the virtual camera around for no fucking reason but to make the shot more "dynamic", ala shaky-cam fight scenes where you can't tell WTF is going on because you're trying to unscramble the viewpoint.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #609 on: December 04, 2014, 08:26:21 AM

Ya, looks like is's just another effect in the same category as lens fair. Interesting visual effect when used in moderation, but JJ just can't help cracking it to 11.

"Me am play gods"
Terracotta Army

Reply #610 on: December 06, 2014, 05:38:59 AM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #611 on: December 06, 2014, 10:52:21 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #612 on: December 07, 2014, 02:01:36 AM

I'm trying to think of what to call this camera technique.  It's not shaky-cam.  I'm thinking "double dutch angle".

Now I see a couple girls trying to film something while skipping rope.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: December 07, 2014, 07:15:53 AM

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: December 07, 2014, 08:48:05 AM

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #615 on: December 07, 2014, 03:49:12 PM

You are both right.

Since this thread is so meta already anyway, something I wanted to ask. Is there anyone (else) who thinks that New Hope is actually better than Empire Returns? It seems to be one of those internet-laws that you have the say that the 2nd one is best, the 1st comes 2nd and 3rd one is the weakest.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #616 on: December 07, 2014, 03:54:51 PM

It's a GenX thing. See the Clerks monologue. Things are only cool when they're anti-<x> or dystopian. Hope is lame, cynicism and sarcasm are the rule of cool. c.f. this site.

I put them about equal but always like the visuals of Empire and the Luke/ Vader fight better so it was my #1.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #617 on: December 07, 2014, 04:21:47 PM

It's a GenX thing. See the Clerks monologue. Things are only cool when they're anti-<x> or dystopian. Hope is lame, cynicism and sarcasm are the rule of cool. c.f. this site.

I put them about equal but always like the visuals of Empire and the Luke/ Vader fight better so it was my #1.

Interesting aspect. Thank you.  smiley

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #618 on: December 07, 2014, 05:02:02 PM

Did you just say that you like the same stupid things that everyone else likes, but you like them for better reasons so it's okay, right after you were railing against Gen X hipsters?

awesome, for real

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #619 on: December 07, 2014, 08:29:30 PM

Empire is clearly the better film on every single level. It's got nothing to do with hipster anti-bullshit or whatever "I'm so much cooler than the cynical by being anti-cynical" cumguzzle that Merusk has been on lately. It's just a better goddamn movie. It's got nothing to do with hope or darkness or whatever. It's shot better, the effects are better, the scale is grander, the story and character beats are better. It's what happens when a good director is allowed to be good.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #620 on: December 08, 2014, 01:26:37 AM

Growing up, the general consensus was that Return was the best, then Empire.  As we became adults, it shifted to Empire then Return.  But almost nobody I know (IRL, internet is different obviously  awesome, for real) thinks the first one is better than Empire or Return.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #621 on: December 08, 2014, 04:16:53 AM

As a kid I could have watched the space battle in Return all fucking day, but even then wished it wasn't intercut with other bullshit.

As a grown up, Star Wars is a better film.

But empire has always been the best and I never met anyone who seriously thought otherwise. Even as a kid it was Empire that hints the universe has even more cool shit in it than we see on screen. It has ATATs and grappling hooks and Asteroid worms and Boba Fett and Darth Vader being properly mean, and no 5 way intercut bullshit ending.

That said I'm guessing the 'which was better as a kid' is very dependent on your exact age.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:18:32 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #622 on: December 08, 2014, 05:08:48 AM

I actually saw both Star wars and Empire for the first time back to back when I was 9 or 10 I think. Even then I knew Empire was the better movie and I haven't changed my opinion. That's not to say that Star Wars is a bad movie at all because its a good movie, just that Empire is a better one.

Hic sunt dracones.
Terracotta Army

Reply #623 on: December 08, 2014, 05:30:32 AM

NH and Empire go together though. Without NH, Empire would not be as great. It needed the set up. I agree Empire is the better of the two movies, but only because NH was out there with all the loose ends.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: December 08, 2014, 08:44:01 AM

Call me a simpleton but I've never thought of Empire being the better movie because Return finishes the trilogy. I love Return for the last 1/3rd? of the films as it cuts between the battle on Endor, the battle above Endor and the battle in the throne room. They are part of my childhood and really I see them as a complete set.

I also like white bread.

edit: What binary said, none of them work without the other.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: December 08, 2014, 09:00:32 AM

I loved Jedi for the space battles. I loved ANH for the Death Star rescue sequence, it was like a dungeon crawl. Empire is technically the better movie because of a lot of reasons Haemish mentioned, but I always loved the other two better. My opinion would be so much different if these opinions weren't formulated through the eyes of a kid seeing them over and over again back in the 80s.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #626 on: December 08, 2014, 09:33:17 AM

Certainly none of them (except maybe star wars) work without the others existing, but Return would have been much easier to improve with a better writer and/or director. 

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #627 on: December 08, 2014, 10:18:33 AM

What are peoples criticisms of Return?  Only thing I ever usually hear is "fucking Ewoks" which really never bothered me.

The movie was the most epic in scope.  Epic fights in different dramatic settings.  Massive fleet battle.  Luke (IMO) successfully portraying himself as having trained up enough to be an actual Jedi bad ass, instead of the clumsy whiny bitch he started out on in the first movie.  The saber fight at the end where they try to turn him was really well done.

Return just had the most visually impressive scenes, great fight pacing, fine acting, and a very satisfying plot conclusion.  I can't really fault it on anything, other than maybe Ewoks being 'silly'.  I only give the nod to Empire because the dialog was a little more witty/adult, and was well paced.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: December 08, 2014, 10:30:35 AM

What are peoples criticisms of Return?  Only thing I ever usually hear is "fucking Ewoks" which really never bothered me.

The movie was the most epic in scope.  Epic fights in different dramatic settings.  Massive fleet battle.  Luke (IMO) successfully portraying himself as having trained up enough to be an actual Jedi bad ass, instead of the clumsy whiny bitch he started out on in the first movie.  The saber fight at the end where they try to turn him was really well done.

Return just had the most visually impressive scenes, great fight pacing, fine acting, and a very satisfying plot conclusion.  I can't really fault it on anything, other than maybe Ewoks being 'silly'.  I only give the nod to Empire because the dialog was a little more witty/adult, and was well paced.

Ewok vs stormtroopers was clownshoes. Fett's death? more clownshoes. Even as a kid, I was not buying either of those situations.

There was too much looney tunes humor in Jedi. Cut all that out, and it would have been the best of the three. It really felt like a muppet movie for long stretches that I was not enjoying after the rawness of Empire.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #629 on: December 08, 2014, 10:31:18 AM

The first half is an overlong tonally confused plot hole that feels like an entirely different film.

The second half is 3 perfectly adequate stories that are less than the sum of their parts because of hyperactive editing.

It is still a fun film mind you.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  
Jump to: