Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:19:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2136101 times)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7980 on: July 20, 2011, 11:21:48 AM

I'm hoping there is a CE sans stupidly expensive figurine.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7981 on: July 20, 2011, 11:27:11 AM

I'm hoping there is a CE sans stupidly expensive figurine.

Yeah, a ce for $80 without the figure would be in my range.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7982 on: July 20, 2011, 11:28:05 AM

Adding passable graphics/sound and some kind of reason to grind through quests to wow is a fairly significant thing.

There's a lot of things wrong with this assessment, first and foremost that this game is somehow an improvement over wow. I'm not saying it won't be better but let's not start sucking SWTOR's dick before we've even looked at it with the lights on.  There's no reason to believe this will be a far superior product any more than there is to believe it'll be inferior.

Yes they added voice acting, but that doesn't mean it'll be great throughout, nor does it mean the reasons for questing will be any less inane or tedious.  The very fact that there will be any 'collect ten X' quests sort of rules out the exciting part, no matter how well they voice it.

edit to add: I don't think the figure is where they are making their money on the CE, it's all the essentially free digital items that are inflating the price. Collectors editions come with figures and the rest of the physical merch all the time and cost <$100

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:29:46 AM by Lakov_Sanite »

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7983 on: July 20, 2011, 11:34:46 AM

4 DVDs of data per download sold, all to be delivered on day -3 (or whatever the headstart is)? Of course there will be a cap. And queue, that's rich. Now you queue to even start downloading the client! There is pretty much no way EA is going to pull this off without a trainwreck of a launch. 50k guarantee is clown shoes when you're shooting for millions of subs.

And...2am CST? Stupid west coast.

Hope Amazon can come through with a solid pre-order supply chain. Isn't that the whole point of a pre-order, so you can know the demand ahead of time and plan to meet it accordingly? Oh, EA.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #7984 on: July 20, 2011, 11:34:54 AM

Jedi in the Old Republic era clearly use the girth of their almighty hilts to determine social standing.
You gotta hand it to them, it's more sensible than using the length.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7985 on: July 20, 2011, 11:47:50 AM

4 DVDs of data per download sold, all to be delivered on day -3 (or whatever the headstart is)? Of course there will be a cap.

Something like this they'd be crazy not to have it available for 2 weeks or more on preload.

A capped prerelease still makes sense to roadtest the live infrastructure though.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7986 on: July 20, 2011, 11:52:52 AM

FUCK.  I'm going to stab someone if headstart is Origin only.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7987 on: July 20, 2011, 12:03:33 PM

I would bet that the 50K guarantee is due to the little sith figurine they're looking to package with it and what the vendor can commit to supply.  I would definately buy it if it weren't for that thing.  I easily would pay 100 bucks for the CE without the sith barbie doll.  Don't know if I'm willing to stay up to Godawful hours of the morning to order it, with or without confirmation from Bioware.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7988 on: July 20, 2011, 12:47:47 PM

Figured I would make sure my EA account is set to go JUST IN CASE I'M UP AT 3AM because I totally don't intend on it and really would like to buy it through Amazon but hey you never know and whatnot....

Aaaanyway. Signing into my old ea.com "Hey, we noticed that you do not have an EA Master ID yet! Let's create one for you." Also:

"Over 50 Million Profiles!

• This will become the web address of your EA profile.
  • Love it because you can't change it.
  • This is how you will be known on EA sites... forever."

Then for every permutation of my normal logins that I've ever used in conjunction with online gaming:

"This Master ID is invalid or already exists."

So now I'm going to have to use some esoteric one-off name from some mmo or something. Even my fucking cat's name (Bartolomeus) is taken. And best of all, you can't skip this step to just log into Origin with your existing account. The clown car has left the station!

edit: Jawohl! After no less than 50 tries, I got in using a bit of deutsch, ffs.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:54:34 PM by Sky »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #7989 on: July 20, 2011, 12:57:07 PM

A source claiming to have knowledge of EA's plans for Star Wars: The Old Republic tells Kotaku that pre-orders for the game will begin this Thursday, July 21 at 2am CST.  Pre-orders for The Old Republic will come in two flavors, the basic edition and the special Collector's Edition. The total number of pre-orders EA is purportedly taking caps out at 500,000, with only the first 50,000 pre-orders guaranteed, the rest queued in a prioritized waiting list.

Origin pre-orders capped?!

Given that there's a SWTOR panel at comic-con at 3:30pm tomorrow where they could conceivably announce pre-order information, wouldn't this rumor make more sense if pre-orders started early on Friday instead?
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7990 on: July 20, 2011, 01:03:08 PM

On the chance that the rumor's valid, I tried logging into Origin to make sure my account info was correct and still working, and every time I hit the log-in button, it loads for a bit, and then drops me back at the main page without letting me input my info.  Whee. 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7991 on: July 20, 2011, 01:36:11 PM

On the chance that the rumor's valid, I tried logging into Origin to make sure my account info was correct and still working, and every time I hit the log-in button, it loads for a bit, and then drops me back at the main page without letting me input my info.  Whee. 

Had the same problem.  I was able to login by going through the cart page or something stupid.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7992 on: July 20, 2011, 01:53:16 PM

Quote from: All prior Orgin Discussions on f13
Fuck Origin
he total number of pre-orders EA is purportedly taking caps out at 500,000.

Origin pre-orders capped?!
FUCK.  I'm going to stab someone if headstart is Origin only.
Figured I would make sure my EA account is set to go JUST IN CASE
On the chance that the rumor's valid, I tried logging into Origin 
Had the same problem.  I was able to login by going through the cart page or something stupid.

Quote from: EA Exec
DANCE MY PUPPETS! DANCE!! MUAHAHAHA!

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7993 on: July 20, 2011, 01:54:15 PM

From now on, yellow text should be the official colour of evil text on f13.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7994 on: July 20, 2011, 02:03:14 PM

I'm pretty sure Headstart is not origin only because I just saw pictures of a pre-order box from gamestop or something that has headstart on it.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7995 on: July 20, 2011, 02:09:10 PM

I too, doubt that the figurine displayed above is download only, no matter how evil EA is.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7996 on: July 20, 2011, 02:27:55 PM

Been waiting on Origin to approve my desired name for 10 minutes.  Way to go, EA.

This is how you will be known on EA sites... forever.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #7997 on: July 20, 2011, 02:33:08 PM

Hah, I'm glad I went through this rigmarole a couple weeks ago when it first looked as if Origin was going to be required to play.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7998 on: July 20, 2011, 03:46:05 PM

On the off chance that god hates me I went to check my ea sign in.   Apparently my masterID is taken which surprised me because it's a basically one of my names + some old guild initials.   It looks like though maybe PSN/Xbox tags are already reserved so that's probably why nobody can get a masterID that matches.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7999 on: July 20, 2011, 05:41:02 PM

"This Master ID is invalid or already exists."

Didn't you already have an EA account from ME2 or some other previous game like Spore or Hellgate?  Mine's dated 2007 so lord knows why I've got one.  

All the old names are reserved for Origin, I'd suspect, based on this header on my EA login.

Important Notice: In the coming months your EA Account and profile will be upgraded to a new Origin™ Account. Your identity, order history and preferences will remain unchanged and we will notify you via email when this transition takes place. Learn more about Origin™

ed: Come to think of it.. you needed an EA account to register one of the Dragon Age games for some of the goodies, IIRC.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:46:39 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8000 on: July 20, 2011, 06:09:56 PM

And EA wanted you to sign in for ME2 as well.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8001 on: July 20, 2011, 06:47:24 PM

Didn't you already have an EA account from ME2 or some other previous game like Spore or Hellgate?  Mine's dated 2007 so lord knows why I've got one.  
Oh yeah, there's a whole thing with EA/Bioware logins. Had one under an old email, ME1 and DA, I think. Then when ME2 came out, I used a current email which was apparently not the one I had used before so no DA perks for ME2. And for TOR I have yet another new email I'm using, so it's also a different login. And apparently you can't merge the accounts, even if all info but email is the same.

I fucking hate the Bioware social network (and bioware's dlc handling), it's the only problem I've had with the whole 'log in to a secondary network to play your game' thing. Aaaand we're back with TOR.

So whatever TOR promotions might come with ME3, I won't see. And I have to remember to use a defunct password when I get DA2. I like having three separate logins to play Bioware games. Sure, in a way it's my own fault for forgetting my old login, but not being able to move my DLC to the actual account I want to use sucks.

In general I really dislike the whole movement to use email for login name. Especially if you dispose of old email accounts without going back to a couple hundred websites to update your login info. It's also making it much easier to guess half of the login information, rather than having to guess the username as well as the password.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:49:31 PM by Sky »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #8002 on: July 20, 2011, 06:57:58 PM

In general I really dislike the whole movement to use email for login name. Especially if you dispose of old email accounts without going back to a couple hundred websites to update your login info. It's also making it much easier to guess half of the login information, rather than having to guess the username as well as the password.

Preach it brother hippy, preach it!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8003 on: July 20, 2011, 07:23:55 PM

I agree on the login part. Though I've also never used anything but webmail for game accounts.  I've been using the same yahoo e-mail for something like 13 years now.   ACK!   Sure it gets tons of spam, but I only use it for this purpose so I don't have to update a bunch of sites with new info when I move providers.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8004 on: July 20, 2011, 08:21:30 PM

Been waiting on Origin to approve my desired name for 10 minutes.  Way to go, EA.

This is how you will be known on EA sites... forever.

I'm glad my name wasn't taken... forever.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8005 on: July 21, 2011, 12:31:38 AM

Well, it happened.  Pre-orders are now being accepted on Origin and all major/minor brick and mortar stores.

(insert something about dancing for EA here)

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #8006 on: July 21, 2011, 01:07:09 AM

There's no real life delux edition without the bullshit figurine.   Ohhhhh, I see.   Also really irritating is that the normal box is 60 bucks.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8007 on: July 21, 2011, 01:29:33 AM

Well, it happened.  Pre-orders are now being accepted on Origin and all major/minor brick and mortar stores.

(insert something about dancing for EA here)

US only as far as I can tell.

Death to all capitalist pigdogs.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8008 on: July 21, 2011, 01:38:00 AM

I got my pre-order... and yes I got the digital deluxe edition.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

That CE was just way too expensive for a statue I don't want.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #8009 on: July 21, 2011, 01:45:03 AM

UK prices are through the roof: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/21/origin-charging-45-for-swtor-pre-orders/

If that sort of pricing is expanded to rest of the EU, making SWTOR cost 70 euros, I will not touch it with a ten foot pole. Fuck your diku.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8010 on: July 21, 2011, 01:51:09 AM

Isn't that the equivalent of $65, because that's what the US pre-order costs.  Sounds like you are paying the same as I am.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8011 on: July 21, 2011, 01:51:44 AM

Also got digital deluxe, although since it doesn't have the special in-game store the collector's edition has, I'm a little disappointed.  I'm somewhat tempted to just try to cancel and reorder the standard version since the Digital Deluxe really doesn't have anything too impressive (maybe the Holo Cam depending on how it's implemented, or the STAP).  No way in hell though I'm dropping $150 on the Collector's Edition for a bunch of Star Wars clutter.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8012 on: July 21, 2011, 01:53:42 AM

You are paying for the statue with the CE, I could care less about that.  I wanted the mouse droid more than that CE vendor lol.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8013 on: July 21, 2011, 01:54:28 AM

I'm just going to buy a regular copy, too big to download.

Also $60 is the new $50, have we not learned this yet?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #8014 on: July 21, 2011, 01:56:10 AM

Isn't that the equivalent of $65, because that's what the US pre-order costs.  Sounds like you are paying the same as I am.

The standard UK retail price is around £30-35 AFAIK. Someone in the RPS comments said the euro price is 55€. If true, it would be more in line with US pricing.  

Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: