Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:47:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2136106 times)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #13335 on: November 22, 2011, 05:29:48 AM

I wasn't into diku back when the everquest -> wow switch was happening, so someone help me out. Was that sort of thing prevalent - http://www.torhead.com/ability/VIBtDV & http://www.torhead.com/ability/7Y8bP0x. That's basically power word: shiled & pw:s talent 1:1.

Yes. EQ had damage absorption shields, though mitigation would be done via AC buffs.

It was actually quite a clever mechanic for enchanters that had massive aggro problems and would get one-shot if they lost control for even a moment. They wanted it to be a little more forgiving but on the other hand they didn't want them to be capable of tanking. So they got a line of "Rune" spells that gave them a temporary damage shield. I think they also messed with overheal granting a damage shield, but I'm fuzzier on that.

The EQ spell system was actually quite complete but not as integrated in terms of having spell synergies and rotations.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #13336 on: November 22, 2011, 05:43:05 AM

On one hand, Rift showed that that are a few more combinations of "punch" and/or "heal" left out there, but not many.  And I'm not sure having a single-target and an AOE heal version of Earth Shield is really engaging if you're not expected to use them in interesting ways by the encounter designers.

Still, it was able to mix things up a bit, especially in the lower levels where you might go "Oh hey, cleaving Shadow Bolts!  That's kind of cool."

On the other, SWTOR does have interesting (and new, at least to me) mechanics, like heat and variable energy regen and how those interact with healing strategy.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #13337 on: November 22, 2011, 06:02:31 AM

Let's not kid ourselves. Not being able to change the UI in 2011 IS fucking clownshoes.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13338 on: November 22, 2011, 06:04:37 AM

By weekend, do they mean Friday or Saturday?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #13339 on: November 22, 2011, 06:12:30 AM

It's almost certain that a LFG feature will make it's way into the game.  A shame it won't be until after the new year, but mark my words; it will be there.  There are people will leave TOR and march right back to WoW over this tool, because it provides a quick and dirty way to get your dungeon rocks off and enjoy the meat and potatoes of the game as quickly and efficiently as possible without wasting time trying to coordinate various people's schedules and having to travel to the dungeon, etc, etc.

As for custom UIs and addons, while they worked wonders for WoW, I think I've reached the point where I'm just indifferent about them.  If they ever allow for us to reskin the UI, let alone use addons, great.  But even WoW killed off some addons because they actually integrated the feature(s) in to the base UI.  You look at Rift at launch, and you see that much of the UI was already movable and could be customized to a certain extent right out of the box, no addons needed.  Some of these things are in TOR, and if you compared the number of base UI features in TOR vs. vanilla WoW, TOR would actually be an improvement by a modest amount.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #13340 on: November 22, 2011, 06:12:56 AM

Let's not kid ourselves. Not being able to change the UI in 2011 IS fucking clownshoes.

I never understood why this feature is so important to folks.  I find most game UI's fine.  Part of the annoyance I had with wow is that you practically HAD to download addons if you wanted to play competitively in PvE and PvP and those addons tended to really clutter up the screen.  Locked UI's mean everyone plays on a relatively similar playing field.  I can't remember if they have macros for this game, I hope they don't, although it may be an inevitability because of macro-programmable keypads and such.

My thoughts on a game playing healers:  This game is terrific for folks who are interested in playing a support oriented class.  I played a trooper and a healing inquisitor up to the mid 30's and honestly I felt very powerful.  DPs companions put out a good deal of damage and while you won't be clearing quests as fast as DPS specced classes, you will also be able to do things they will never be able to do (like complete all the 4 man quests solo which I pretty much did up to level 30).  You also have a much broader array of companion selection as tanks, dps and healer companions all become useful in different instances.  Resource management is relatively well integrated as well.  I especially like the free low powered channeled heal over time ability that almost every healer class gets, it offers you something to do when you run low on resources.  

The animations for healers are terrific too.  I LOVE the trooper healing animations, and I am sad my F&F guild is going dark side at launch, I hope the bounty hunters animations are just as cool!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #13341 on: November 22, 2011, 06:14:06 AM

They posted about this yesterday...apparently in order to load-balance the servers, they are letting people in based on the date/time they RSVP'd for this weekends test.  You could get in as early as Friday evening, as late as Saturday afternoon, or somewhere in between.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #13342 on: November 22, 2011, 06:33:25 AM

I don't even plan on trying to play until Saturday night, so that works for me.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #13343 on: November 22, 2011, 06:36:14 AM

I don't even plan on trying to play until Saturday night, so that works for me.

I can't even play all weekend... Forgot that this was the insane weekends only beta  Heartbreak

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13344 on: November 22, 2011, 06:36:39 AM

Are you referring to the inability to move interface elements around or not being able to have full UI mods? The former I agree seems incredibly stupid, and I say this as a person who has most of the UI elements where BW put them anyway (like others chat, map and tertiary hotbars are the problem with their default setup).

UI mods though I could happily live without. Spending ages finding the right mods and getting the UI set up just so only to have a patch fuck half of it up gets old. Also being told you need to download and install a dozen different mods before you're allowed to raid wasn't exactly fun either.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13345 on: November 22, 2011, 06:43:47 AM

They posted about this yesterday...apparently in order to load-balance the servers, they are letting people in based on the date/time they RSVP'd for this weekends test.  You could get in as early as Friday evening, as late as Saturday afternoon, or somewhere in between.

Cool, the e-mail made no mention of any dates or times.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13346 on: November 22, 2011, 06:55:42 AM

I'll be interested to see how Generation WOW handles things like the UI at release. In Rift, the screaming hordes were obnoxious about anything and everything that differed from WoW. It has to have a random cross server dungeon finder. It has to have fully active add ons for DPS and threat meters and semi-automated healing. HAS TO HAS TO.

IIRC, most of the screaming hordes in Rift about dps meters were on the "NEVER IN THIS GAME. WE DRAW THE LINE HERE AND NO FURTHER!" side. Essentially trying to blame addons for the dickish nature of some members in online communities. Those people have never used Xbox Live.

But UI Customization does not really mean mods. It means "can I move my fucking hotbars around". Mods are a reaction to "is your UI feature complete" or "is ____ just a total pain in the ass"
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13347 on: November 22, 2011, 06:55:57 AM

how exactly do you do the RSVP bit? I poked around on the website but didn't see anything. I also haven't done the questions or whatever, and can't find any place to do it on the site?

I just hope it's playble this weekend, because it seems it's more of an open beta - as in, make an account, you get an invite.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13348 on: November 22, 2011, 06:57:26 AM

I never understood why this feature is so important to folks.  

For me I prefer to play with 3 monitors with eyefinity, so being able to change the UI layout is VERY important to me.  In most games they support the huge resolution, but then the UI is completely terrible without the ability to modify it.  SWTOR is an example of this when I tried it in beta, I'll just end up playing it on one monitor because of the UI until the ability to modify it is added.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:59:35 AM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13349 on: November 22, 2011, 06:58:39 AM

Is the client oriented such that I can download it, put it on an external, and copy over the install to another machine, or does the launcher prevent this?

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13350 on: November 22, 2011, 06:59:18 AM

how exactly do you do the RSVP bit? I poked around on the website but didn't see anything. I also haven't done the questions or whatever, and can't find any place to do it on the site?

I just hope it's playble this weekend, because it seems it's more of an open beta - as in, make an account, you get an invite.

They should have sent you an email link to accept the invite.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #13351 on: November 22, 2011, 06:59:51 AM

Hasn't almost everything since EQ2 and WoW launched with very limited or no customization on the UI?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13352 on: November 22, 2011, 07:00:28 AM

Is the client oriented such that I can download it, put it on an external, and copy over the install to another machine, or does the launcher prevent this?

You can likely do this. It's a standard looking patcher, so it's just looking at what is in the install directory and going "oh hey, that matches my checksums!" or downloading it again.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #13353 on: November 22, 2011, 07:00:44 AM

So, I'm not going back through the previous 380+ pages again to remind myself what was said about this, but wanted to make a small contribution to the post NDA discussion -

I seem to remember someone somewhere mentioning something about all archetypes being essentially equal tanks at level 10 with points spent in ACs then determining role. This is not even slightly the case. The gap between (for example) a newly AC'd lvl 10ish Knight and a Shadow (with 0 points spent) in tanking and DPS ability is pretty frickin' enormous based on armour and weapons alone. The first flashpoint is pretty forgiving though, so you don't need particular classes.

Before I started beta I also had the (mis)conception that all ACs had two roles (eg damage and tanking for Jedi knights) and you picked one based on how you spent your points. Whilst somewhat true, as a Jedi Knight for example, my experience is that you are a tank. You can either be a really tanky tank, or a somewhat damagy tank, but a tank you remain. You just don't get the abilities and (really importantly) weapons to compete with the real DPS ACs.

YMMV, others may have experienced otherwise.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #13354 on: November 22, 2011, 07:05:47 AM

www.swtor.com/tester

Go there, sign in, and see what it says.

You can copy.  I've done this without issue.

Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13355 on: November 22, 2011, 07:09:51 AM

I think the site is broken right now :/

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13356 on: November 22, 2011, 07:10:10 AM

Yes, the vast majority of people bitching about UI mods complain about damagemeters, which basically implies they're bad players you don't want to group with anyway. Aside from my completely correct and justified elitism, they don't understand that any game that writes a combatlog (and SWTOR does) will have damagemeters, even if they're outside the game. These realtime combatlog parsers originated with EQ2 and were popularized with Rift in its pre-UI mod days. Damagemeters are unavoidable. Embrace them.

As for mods in general, remember that SWTOR is a diku MUD and it has no click to heal. No grid/clique or vuhdo. In fact, it has no ability to create mouseover macros; even Rift had that. You need to hit F2 to target the tank then the 1 button to cast a heal, old-school. Healing is fucking painful in SWTOR.

Those are arguments for full UI mods ala WoW, and doesn't even mention that you can't move the windows or bars around. Even everquest one has that now.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:13:40 AM by sam, an eggplant »
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13357 on: November 22, 2011, 07:13:43 AM

SWTOR is a diku MUD and it has no click to heal. No grid/clique or vuhdo. In fact, it has no ability to create mouseover macros; even Rift had that.

annnnd just like that I refuse to play a healer in SWTOR.  Thank you for helping me narrow down my class choices.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13358 on: November 22, 2011, 07:14:44 AM

annnnd just like that I refuse to play a healer in SWTOR.  Thank you for helping me narrow down my class choices.
I completely agree. I would rather tongue-kiss my grandfather than heal in SWTOR.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13359 on: November 22, 2011, 07:15:53 AM

No, it just takes forever to get through.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #13360 on: November 22, 2011, 07:16:22 AM

Yeah, a couple million people trying to bang the site for client downloads, forum bashing and other muck will have that effect  why so serious?

As for mods in general, remember that SWTOR is a diku MUD and it has no click to heal. No grid/clique or vuhdo. In fact, it has no ability to create mouseover macros; even Rift had that. Healing is fucking painful in SWTOR.

You say painful.  I say "Whack-A-Mole" by having to actually use skill and reflexes instead of relying on add-ons to do it for me.  Healing used to be a badge of honor being able to keep a party alive through the fire and flame while juggling through targets, hotkeys and managing skills.  I'm rather glad they're taking the basic old-school approach from the start.  It will probably change over time...

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13361 on: November 22, 2011, 07:18:38 AM

You're saying you enjoy fighting the interface. I'm going to avoid the entire "well it's an opinion, and opinions are subjective" jazz and just come out on the side of you're a fucking lunatic.

And yeah, Bioware will absolutely add click to heal, as well as WoW-style LFD functionality, just like Rift. But that's not good enough; this is 2011, it needs to be in for release. Game systems at bare minimum need to be comparable to WoW. Players know there's a better way.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:20:53 AM by sam, an eggplant »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13362 on: November 22, 2011, 07:23:31 AM

You can copy.  I've done this without issue.

Great thanks.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #13363 on: November 22, 2011, 07:26:58 AM

You're saying you enjoy fighting the interface. I'm going to avoid the entire "well it's an opinion, and opinions are subjective" jazz and just come out on the side of you're a fucking lunatic.

- I played a Mentalist healer in DAoC for years.  I outhealed and outclassed the 'real' healers on many occasions, in a game that still to this day knows nother of addons, and only after it fell into decline that it decided to broaden it's base by introducing creature comforts like UI skinning and such.
- I played a Defender healer in CoH, another game that has no addons and requires constant vigil over the health bars and active skill duties.
- I played Haflings in my inaugural season of f13 Blood Bowl

So yeah, I am a fucking lunatic.  I assure you though, I am one of many. I'm sorry you require a crutch (or three) in order to be as looney as I.  why so serious? DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #13364 on: November 22, 2011, 07:29:12 AM

Cool, the e-mail made no mention of any dates or times.

FYI:
Hello everyone! We are excited to have you joining us for Beta Testing Weekend! We can’t wait to get you all into the test. If you just received your invitation today, you can visit www.swtor.com/tester to download the launcher and begin patching the game.

To simulate a launch environment, testers who have accepted new invites to weekend testing will gain testing access in staggered intervals based on when their invites were accepted. The first group of testers will be able to log on beginning on Friday morning (11/25) at 10:00AM CST (16:00 London, 17:00 Paris/Berlin). Then, Saturday and Sunday at 10:00 AM CST (16:00 London, 17:00 Paris/Berlin) the second and final waves of testers will gain access. Please watch your email for details about when your phase of testing begins. This will come in a separate email from your invite.

To our existing testers: at 10:00AM CST on Friday 11/25, you will notice several new servers appear in server selection for the weekend test to accommodate all our weekend testers. You are welcome to create characters on these new servers, but please note that they will only be available for the duration of the weekend test, which ends on 11/27 at 11:59PM CST (11/28 5:59 London, 6:59 Paris/Berlin).

All testers share forums at this time, so please welcome our weekend testers, who will be active in these forums for the duration of the weekend test!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #13365 on: November 22, 2011, 07:30:28 AM

- I played a Mentalist healer in DAoC for years.  I outhealed and outclassed the 'real' healers on many occasions, in a game that still to this day knows nother of addons, and only after it fell into decline that it decided to broaden it's base by introducing creature comforts like UI skinning and such.
- I played a Defender healer in CoH, another game that has no addons and requires constant vigil over the health bars and active skill duties.
- I played Haflings in my inaugural season of f13 Blood Bowl

So yeah, I am a fucking lunatic.  I assure you though, I am one of many. I'm sorry you require a crutch (or three) in order to be as looney as I.  why so serious? DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I really don't understand what you're getting at.  Having a mouseover macro just makes it so I don't have to change my target proper to heal someone.  There's no extra logic that the game handles over having it be "Change target, cast on target, repeat".  I'm tempted to think you're thinking about something else entirely.

(I guess you can argue it's more difficult, but it's not an engaging or interesting kind of difficulty.)

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13366 on: November 22, 2011, 07:31:03 AM

stuff

That wasn't in the e-mail!

Sorry, I have not really been following the game very closely. So stuff posted on the main site I miss.

Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13367 on: November 22, 2011, 07:35:00 AM

Great. I'm willing to bet that us in the third world, that don't even get the game at launch, will be stuck in the sunday slot.  Heartbreak

Well, at least it won't ruin my dreamhack.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #13368 on: November 22, 2011, 07:37:20 AM

I really don't understand what you're getting at.  Having a mouseover macro just makes it so I don't have to change my target proper to heal someone.  There's no extra logic that the game handles over having it be "Change target, cast on target, repeat".  I'm tempted to think you're thinking about something else entirely.

(I guess you can argue it's more difficult, but it's not an engaging or interesting kind of difficulty.)

Not having target of target is much more of an issue for me than mouseover anything. I learned a lot playing whm in FFXI to know how to heal like this. Of course, I am going to play a tank though....  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #13369 on: November 22, 2011, 07:37:41 AM

Yeah, a couple million people trying to bang the site for client downloads, forum bashing and other muck will have that effect  why so serious?

If it's like this today, then looking ahead to December 20th the BW Community Team must feel like they are on beach watching some gargantuan tidal wave inexorably approaching as they stack pathetic sandbags. It is quite as they work, but high above flocks of seagulls stream inland and underfoot the ground begins to tremble.

I hope someone packed the aqualungs.

ACK!

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: