Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:53:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2136092 times)
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #13265 on: November 21, 2011, 08:34:23 AM

For those about to rock, the client is up and ready for download.  For previous weekend people, you need to go back to /tester and RSVP for this weekend's test in order to update your client.

Thanks, checked the /tester after never getting an email and I'm in! Guess that'll mean a night of downloading, 4h of playing and then finding out that I hate grinding and n00b quests.

But well, thanks for the heads up :)

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #13266 on: November 21, 2011, 08:35:20 AM

http://www.torhead.com/

Well it took them long enough  awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #13267 on: November 21, 2011, 08:36:52 AM

I ran my client and it is downloading 12gig. Is that giong to get me up to speed or do I really need to uninstall/reinstall?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #13268 on: November 21, 2011, 08:39:49 AM

I ran my client and it is downloading 12gig. Is that giong to get me up to speed or do I really need to uninstall/reinstall?

12GB is what I got too.  They're saying if you do encounter any problems that you should uninstall/reinstall, if you really feel like giving your ISP more fuel for their 'This is why we need to throttle the internet' fire. 

They say the patching should work though.  If not, I don't mind waiting till I get my retail box.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #13269 on: November 21, 2011, 09:12:56 AM

Correct me if Im wrong but are testers saying that mobs are respawning inside the instanced areas?

SWTOR uses instancing in a lot of spots that aren't actual Flashpoints/Dungeons.    A lot of the class specific quests lead to small instanced area's. 
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13270 on: November 21, 2011, 09:28:49 AM

For those about to rock, the client is up and ready for download.  For previous weekend people, you need to go back to /tester and RSVP for this weekend's test in order to update your client.
Thanks man, downloading now.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #13271 on: November 21, 2011, 09:58:11 AM

I got to level 30 in a previous beta with my Vanguard.

I was sad when I got a speederbike and couldn't just ride off into the sands of Tatooine, as soon as I left the city boundaries I started to get 'dehydrated'. Bah.

I'd say play Smuggler/IA or Trooper/BH if you want to have unique gameplay mechanics (ranged tank and cover system), those feel the most sci-fi of the classes. The Jedi/Sith classes are the most 'star wars-y' and have a lot in common with WoW classes.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #13272 on: November 21, 2011, 10:01:35 AM

While I applaud them for kinda sorta taking security seriously, every fucking time I try and do this beta stuff I have to reset my password, or set a ton of security questions, or light my hair on fire... pain in the ass all around. Just allow authenticators already so we can test those out and stop fucking making me reset my password every week.

A Star Wars game with a security question of: What's your favourite movie?  awesome, for real

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #13273 on: November 21, 2011, 10:10:28 AM

While I applaud them for kinda sorta taking security seriously, every fucking time I try and do this beta stuff I have to reset my password, or set a ton of security questions, or light my hair on fire... pain in the ass all around. Just allow authenticators already so we can test those out and stop fucking making me reset my password every week.

A Star Wars game with a security question of: What's your favourite movie?  awesome, for real

Not like you have to worry anyone would answer Episode 1-3
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #13274 on: November 21, 2011, 10:28:43 AM

They really need to get their email notification shit figured out imo.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Improving security does not bother me. Limiting the characters I can use in a password to about half of my normal length does.

Do they also use our favorite "billing email address is your login" trick too?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #13275 on: November 21, 2011, 10:41:46 AM

The questions are annoying, if for no other reason than that you have to remember what you put ie, did you grow up on "Smith Street" "Smith St" or "Smith." It's long since the time that games should just ship with an authenticator.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #13276 on: November 21, 2011, 11:02:31 AM

Got the download started, going to lose about half the weekend testing time due to Thanksgiving traveling and family stuff though. Still looking forward to trying things out.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13277 on: November 21, 2011, 11:30:23 AM

I got to level 30 in a previous beta with my Vanguard.

I was sad when I got a speederbike and couldn't just ride off into the sands of Tatooine, as soon as I left the city boundaries I started to get 'dehydrated'. Bah.

I'd say play Smuggler/IA or Trooper/BH if you want to have unique gameplay mechanics (ranged tank and cover system), those feel the most sci-fi of the classes. The Jedi/Sith classes are the most 'star wars-y' and have a lot in common with WoW classes.

You can cruise the entirety of the rest of Tatooine, the exhaustion zone around the spaceport city is a device to prevent the other faction from camping it on PvP servers, since they can't get to it at all that way.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13278 on: November 21, 2011, 12:04:08 PM

Lolpvptardationeffect
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #13279 on: November 21, 2011, 12:07:58 PM

Just finished downloading the client (my folder is 18,5 GB); it took me roughly 9 hours on a ADSL 6 Mb

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13280 on: November 21, 2011, 12:17:16 PM

No weekend for me it seems.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #13281 on: November 21, 2011, 12:20:24 PM

Just finished downloading the client (my folder is 18,5 GB); it took me roughly 9 hours on a ADSL 6 Mb

Started the dl before I left for work this morning... should be done by the time I get home barring any asshattery.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13282 on: November 21, 2011, 12:46:28 PM

The questions are annoying, if for no other reason than that you have to remember what you put ie, did you grow up on "Smith Street" "Smith St" or "Smith." It's long since the time that games should just ship with an authenticator.

Use the same strong password for all security questions and store it in a password vault.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #13283 on: November 21, 2011, 12:51:20 PM

Sadly it (and most of these stupid question things) complains that you can't have the same answer for more than one question.   Mob
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #13284 on: November 21, 2011, 12:53:47 PM

I'm shocked I am considering playing a guy character for once.

Terracotta Army

Reply #13285 on: November 21, 2011, 01:10:55 PM

I'm shocked I am considering playing a guy character for once.

Actually... I am leaning that way to.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #13286 on: November 21, 2011, 01:17:52 PM

Out of interest, do any of the beta players have an idea about how long it takes to do Chapter 1 of the class story?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #13287 on: November 21, 2011, 01:19:06 PM

Hmm, probably took me 4-6hrs to get my lightsaber on a JK, but I was going through it pretty leisurely.

- Viin
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #13288 on: November 21, 2011, 01:27:02 PM

Out of interest, do any of the beta players have an idea about how long it takes to do Chapter 1 of the class story?

If you poopsock it, you can hammer it out in a few days; it concludes in your 30s.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #13289 on: November 21, 2011, 01:32:20 PM

http://www.gamespot.com/news/activision-blizzard-stock-downgraded-on-world-of-warcraft-declines-6346436

In an investor note today, Lazard Capital Markets analyst Atul Bagga expressed pessimism over WOW's ability to reverse its negative trend. In the process, Bagga downgraded Activision Blizzard's stock from "buy" to "neutral."

Bagga's move was primarily motivated by a Lazard Capital Markets survey of online players, which was conducted in conjunction with Peanut Labs earlier this month and polled 381 online gamers. The study found that WOW's age, as well as increased competition, could lead to an exodus of 900,000 to 1.6 million players following the launch of EA's Star Wars: The Old Republic in December.

To the point of WOW's age, Lazard Capital Markets' study found that 57 percent of former WOW players said that they had reached end-game content and had become "bored." As for increased competition, the study found that 43 percent of former WOW players had quit due to friends leaving for other MMOGs.

Bagga noted that Star Wars: The Old Republic, in particular, stands to gain from WOW's loosening hold on the market. Of those surveyed who are currently playing WOW, 50 percent said they plan to buy The Old Republic, with an additional 38 percent saying they may buy the game. The survey also found that 87 percent of the 95 players in the study who were participating in The Old Republic beta had already preordered or planned to preorder EA's game.

The analyst didn't completely rule out a resurgence in WOW subscribers. The study indicated that 50 percent of former WOW players would consider coming back to the game if Blizzard were to offer a special promotion. Such promotions would eat in to Activision Blizzard's bottom line, however.

Bagga also said that the game's fourth expansion, Mists of Pandaria, should yield a healthy resurgence in subscriber numbers. Of those surveyed, 33 percent of the former WOW players said they plan to resubscribe to the game upon Mists of Pandaria's launch. A release date for that expansion has not yet been announced.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #13290 on: November 21, 2011, 01:45:06 PM

In other news, research shows water to be wet.

Seriously, this is the same damn report for any new mmo coming out almost. The question is not whether lots of mmo players will try swtor, it's how long they will try it for. SWTOR may steal a huge chunk, but whether they stay there for a couple months or a couple years remains to be seen.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13291 on: November 21, 2011, 01:51:23 PM

Nothing surprising, true, but you're explaining water to a creature that lives in a vacuum - an investor - not old addicts on an MMO forum.   They view that "couple of months" as the long-term, not the short.  Years? What?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #13292 on: November 21, 2011, 02:12:21 PM

Sounds like yesterday was a good day to sell Activision short.

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #13293 on: November 21, 2011, 02:29:17 PM

Hate this fucking launcher. I've typed my password over and over again, changed it several times and it still gives me "wrong email address, password, etc" error. Tried RSVPing to the test, get the confimation email, try to follow the link to reinstall the launcher and it asks me to RSVP again.  Mob

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13294 on: November 21, 2011, 02:30:17 PM

Hate this fucking launcher. I've typed my password over and over again, changed it several times and it still gives me "wrong email address, password, etc" error. Tried RSVPing to the test, get the confimation email, try to follow the link to reinstall the launcher and it asks me to RSVP again.  Mob

Did you set up the ten security question gauntlet yet? I had to do that before it let me dl.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #13295 on: November 21, 2011, 02:36:54 PM

The stock's been in freefall since the earnings were released. Major investors are not stupid. They read into those numbers exactly what I posted in the wow thread about it. Activision Blizzard as a company is losing it's cashflow position due to poor choices and heavy R&D on their next projects. I believe they thought they could string the customers along until the end of 2011 with minimal loss, and that has backfired on their projections for the fiscal year.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13296 on: November 21, 2011, 02:43:58 PM

The stock's been in freefall since the earnings were released. Major investors are not stupid. They read into those numbers exactly what I posted in the wow thread about it. Activision Blizzard as a company is losing it's cashflow position due to poor choices and heavy R&D on their next projects. I believe they thought they could string the customers along until the end of 2011 with minimal loss, and that has backfired on their projections for the fiscal year.

"Freefall" is massively overstating it. Even after falling off a bunch from its high point it is still worth more now than it has been for most of 2011. The anomaly is the spike up to $14 a couple weeks ago, not the current price.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #13297 on: November 21, 2011, 02:50:01 PM

In 2012 WOW will take a hit.  Its already seen some of that in 2011 and that was from just pure boredom of players or people not happy with the content / game direction.  Now factor in TOR and GW2 with a bunch of players who are bored or looking and you have a recipe for decline.  Their expansion will get back some of those numbers
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13298 on: November 21, 2011, 02:52:25 PM

What about Blizzard "Buy wow for a year and get Diablo threeeee for freeeeeee", that will stabilize things for them quite a bit I imagine.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13299 on: November 21, 2011, 02:57:38 PM

Guys, please stop talking about the market. The dow and nasdaq are both down ~2% today due to the congress supercommitee "surprisingly" failing to reach a decision on the deficit. ATVI actually outperformed the market by only dropping 1.41%. If you look at year to date, ATVI only dropped 4.5% the entire year including the 1.41% today. It's not doing great, hence the downgrade, but it's hardly in freefall.
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: