Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 12:28:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Dark Knight 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dark Knight  (Read 100462 times)
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: July 22, 2008, 08:12:53 AM

Spoilers ahead...

- Would have liked to see batman go to save the chick at the end only to find out the Joker lied about who was where and end up saving harvey instead.  Sort of looked like it was leading up to that, who knows maybe it got cut.

Uhm....not sure how to tell you this....but thats exactly what did happen. Joker told him Rachel was at location "X". He went there to save her. But in reality it was Harvey who was there.

Guess my ADD set in.  Thought he whispered rachel is at location X and harvey is at location Y and the batman went to Y, I must have crossed the 2.

Either way instead of dumbing it down for me and batman saying I'll take Rachel and the police saying we got Harvey, he said I'll take location X (insert random gotham address here) and the police said okay we got location Y (insert another meaningless gotham address here).  There was so much going on, It was a confusing time for me!

edit: added spoiler alert seeing how I landed on top of the page.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:24:18 AM by Salamok »
Dr. Spoons
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: July 22, 2008, 08:34:39 AM

- Would have liked to see batman go to save the chick at the end only to find out the Joker lied about who was where and end up saving harvey instead.  Sort of looked like it was leading up to that, who knows maybe it got cut.

Uhm....not sure how to tell you this....but thats exactly what did happen. Joker told him Rachel was at location "X". He went there to save her. But in reality it was Harvey who was there.

Guess my ADD set in.  Thought he whispered rachel is at location X and harvey is at location Y and the batman went to Y, I must have crossed the 2.

Either way instead of dumbing it down for me and batman saying I'll take Rachel and the police saying we got Harvey, he said I'll take location X (insert random gotham address here) and the police said okay we got location Y (insert another meaningless gotham address here).  There was so much going on, It was a confusing time for me!

It was that dumbed down.  Batman runs out of the building Gordon asks him who he's going for and he says Rachel and rides away.  I assume since we are discussing plot points it's ok to talk about spoilers but here's a warning anyway.

SPOILER ALERT

I'm pretty surprised by the amount of people I talked to that think Two Face is still alive.  To me at least, it was pretty clear that he was dead considering the funeral and the fact that Gordon and Batman were right there and presumably checked to see if he was breathing.  And if Two Face is still alive it makes Batman taking the fall to preserve Dent's name completely pointless.  As for possible villains in the next film, there is some speculation that Reese, the Wayne Enterprises employee who knows Batman's identity, may become The Riddler.  A bit of a stretch maybe, but who knows. 
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #142 on: July 22, 2008, 08:55:28 AM

Fanboy wankery.

The reason why I don't want another sequel is that basically Nolan's Batman story is already told. Fini. There may be a giant world of Batman material out there, but that doesn't mean it has to be seen. Besides, most of it either doesn't mesh well with Nolan's realism, nor does it bring anything new to the table, as far as his themes about crime and fear go. He'd just be rehashing shit. Not to mention that Ledger's shadow will be looming over the entire thing....you'd have Batman movies with no further references to his arch-nemesis. And it'd be stupid and embarrassing. It's best to just leave it open ended like it is.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: July 22, 2008, 09:26:46 AM

Fanboy wankery.

The reason why I don't want another sequel is that basically Nolan's Batman story is already told. Fini. There may be a giant world of Batman material out there, but that doesn't mean it has to be seen. Besides, most of it either doesn't mesh well with Nolan's realism, nor does it bring anything new to the table, as far as his themes about crime and fear go. He'd just be rehashing shit. Not to mention that Ledger's shadow will be looming over the entire thing....you'd have Batman movies with no further references to his arch-nemesis. And it'd be stupid and embarrassing. It's best to just leave it open ended like it is.

I agree with this.

I have so much  Heart for this movie, that I won't even begin to get into it, since I'll rapidly decend into fanboy hyperbole.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: July 22, 2008, 09:30:25 AM

hmm more spoilers, maybe an admin can just tag the thread title already.

It was that dumbed down.  Batman runs out of the building Gordon asks him who he's going for and he says Rachel and rides away.  I assume since we are discussing plot points it's ok to talk about spoilers but here's a warning anyway.

still isn't the way I recall it but I already admitted to being too caught up in the moment to take notes, seem to remember batman saying i'll take X and gordon's response was to radio out all units to location Y.  I want to watch it again anyhow, I think this time I'll go the alamo bucket of beer and comfy seat route so i'll probably be too hammered to get it right on the 2nd pass as well.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: July 22, 2008, 09:34:50 AM

No, he definitely said 'Rachel' when Gordon asked who he was going for, and then rode away.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
schild
Administrator

Reply #146 on: July 22, 2008, 09:35:31 AM

Yes, he was going for Rachel. He went to where he thought Rachel was. Joker fucked him, just like the Joker should because HE'S THE JOKER.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: July 22, 2008, 09:36:17 AM

"Nothing's ever that simple with The Joker."

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #148 on: July 22, 2008, 09:52:03 AM

I heard "Rachel" as well, but there's a lot of moments towards the end when the audio mix is screwed up, and the music drowns out dialogue. I almost got lost on some points a few times.
schild
Administrator

Reply #149 on: July 22, 2008, 09:52:46 AM

He said he was going to get Rachel. Joker knew that. Joker reversed the locations. It's not complicated.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #150 on: July 22, 2008, 09:53:45 AM

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing. Just giving homeboy the benefit of the doubt.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: July 22, 2008, 10:19:30 AM

He said he was going to get Rachel. Joker knew that. Joker reversed the locations. It's not complicated.
got it, now spoiler alert the heading for this topic so every 4th line doesn't have to read "SPOILER ALERT"!
WayAbvPar

Reply #152 on: July 22, 2008, 10:37:31 AM

The movie has been out for several days now. There are 5 pages of posts about it. If someone is surprised to find a spoiler in this thread, they are a fucking dumbass who got what they deserved. Go see the fucking movie or DON'T READ HUGE THREADS ABOUT IT DAYS AFTER THE RELEASE.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #153 on: July 22, 2008, 11:03:40 AM

Harvey Dent is alive. I'm almost positive Batman and Gordon said so when they were standing over the body talking about what to do. I thought the funeral was fake and Harvey will end up in Arkham under a fake name, perhaps to break out in the next movie as a full-movie-length villain.

Personally, I'm begging for a sequel. I want them to do the Riddler so bad. I love the Riddler and would relish Nolan's take on him. Hell, he made the Scarecrow actually menacing. The fucking Scarecrow. Of course, the villain they probably are really setting up is Dr. Hugo Strange. In the comics, he knows Batman's secret identity (which could be found out from that Waynetech accountant). Strange fucks with a lot of biology stuff, so he could add Killer Croc in the mix, or could just be Dent's shrink.

schild
Administrator

Reply #154 on: July 22, 2008, 11:09:04 AM

Well, whether he was dead or alive in the original script for the next movie doesn't matter. Said it to my friends at the theater, he's going to magically be alive now that Heath kicked it.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #155 on: July 22, 2008, 11:24:18 AM

The Scarecrow worked because it fit well with the overall theme about fear. Cramming in the Riddler just because he might be a cooler character in his own right just seems like a bad idea to me. Totally different direction. There's a story being told here, and he has nothing to do with it. Hell, he took 4 villains already, all who could play into the fear theme, and it took some brilliance to not have it get too bogged down. Trying to push it and make Batman movies some excuse to explore the "Batman world" instead of telling a proper, continuous story is the path to suck. It's this kind of shit that makes trilogies suck in general.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: July 22, 2008, 11:31:21 AM

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: July 22, 2008, 01:08:50 PM

Ya i get the whole voice disguise but the batman voice is a little too over the top and gets old quick, Also makes him look like he is hawking up a loogie.

Did you notice that they also had him do the voice even when he's alone with Alfred or Lucius?  It was all I could do not to scream at the screen, "Dude, these people know who you really are!"
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: July 22, 2008, 01:22:49 PM

As for possible villains in the next film, there is some speculation that Reese, the Wayne Enterprises employee who knows Batman's identity, may become The Riddler.  A bit of a stretch maybe, but who knows. 

Well, it's almost too obvious but Mister Reese well...it's not much more subtle than Edward Nygma.

Edit: Jesus I'm fucking up quote tags lately.Sorry guys.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 02:17:57 PM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: July 22, 2008, 01:35:28 PM

Ya i get the whole voice disguise but the batman voice is a little too over the top and gets old quick, Also makes him look like he is hawking up a loogie.

Did you notice that they also had him do the voice even when he's alone with Alfred or Lucius?  It was all I could do not to scream at the screen, "Dude, these people know who you really are!"

I vaguely seem to recall in the last movie the "voice scrambler" was a worn device.  So in suit regardless of who is listening he hawks up the loogies and out of suit it's normal.  No on off switch other than worn or not worn I guess...
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #160 on: July 22, 2008, 01:57:08 PM

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #161 on: July 22, 2008, 07:31:57 PM

Harvey Dent is alive. I'm almost positive Batman and Gordon said so when they were standing over the body talking about what to do. I thought the funeral was fake and Harvey will end up in Arkham under a fake name, perhaps to break out in the next movie as a full-movie-length villain.

They never say he is alive, and he doesn't appear to be breathing at all.  I don't really want to see Dent come back in the next one, mostly because he's had his character arc and there isn't much more to do with him.  Unless Nolan plans on redeeming him somehow, Two Face would just become a generic villain who could be replaced by any other bad guy.

Also I think the implication that seeing Gordon's son with a gun to his head was enough to finally get Batman to break his "one rule" is an interesting one.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: July 22, 2008, 07:36:02 PM

I don't think he purposely tried to kill Dent with that body tackle.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #163 on: July 22, 2008, 07:44:10 PM

As Bruce Wayne is a fairly smart guy, I'd imagine he'd realize that knocking someone out of a building several floors up is potentially fatal.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #164 on: July 22, 2008, 08:39:53 PM

Fanboy wankery.

I think the best way for Nolan to conclude the story he's telling would be to do something similar to the Dark Knight Returns (although I don't really have any desire to see a direct translation of that story).  Basically he's told the story about that start of Batman's career, and it would be fitting if he concluded things with the end of it.  That leaves a large span of untold stories for WB/DC to fill in since they won't want to end the franchise while it's making so much money, and it lets Nolan tell Batman's story in a bookend sort of manner similar to what Frank Miller had with Year One and DKR.  Audiences get a story with a definitive beginning, middle, and end, which is something we'll never get in the comics.

Or maybe Nolan will just say fuck it and throw something together with Killer Croc, Clock King, and Clayface.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #165 on: July 22, 2008, 09:17:48 PM

As Bruce Wayne is a fairly smart guy, I'd imagine he'd realize that knocking someone out of a building several floors up is potentially fatal.

I don't think Dent is dead, simply because Batman doesn't kill. If Gordon can come back from the dead, Two-Face is a dead cert.

It would be sloppy for Batman to have saved the Joker but killed the otherwise (half?) healthy Dent with a fall.

Also, it would be the second time that Two-Face was killed by a fall in a Batman movie (see "Batman Forever").

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #166 on: July 22, 2008, 10:05:57 PM

I don't think Dent is dead, simply because Batman doesn't kill. If Gordon can come back from the dead, Two-Face is a dead cert.

It would be sloppy for Batman to have saved the Joker but killed the otherwise (half?) healthy Dent with a fall.

Also, it would be the second time that Two-Face was killed by a fall in a Batman movie (see "Batman Forever").

The alternative to Dent not being dead is that Gordon (now without the help of Batman, and with nobody in the police department he can trust with this kind of secret), is somehow able to get Dent declared dead, but without anybody actually being able to examine the body.  Gordon would then have to put him in Arkham and hope nobody there notices his striking resemblance to the someone who was very much in the public eye and was being declared dead at the same time Two Face was being checked into the asylum.

It would be sloppy storytelling for the purposes of bringing back a character whose story has already been told.  How many more times do you need to see him flip a coin to see if someone lives or dies, because that's about all he'll add to the proceedings at this point?
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: July 22, 2008, 10:16:37 PM

First of all, the purported distinction between Batman and Joker is that Batman follows the "rules" and Joker does not.  Yet Batman engages on multiple occasions in illegal and tortuous interrogations, commits a criminal, extrajudiciary kidnapping on foreign soil, and builds a rights-invasive surveillance system with the capability of producing sound and images of the entire city, a system so offensive to the basic notion of personal privacy, that Nolan had to write in Lucius Fox objecting to it on moral grounds.  This Batman is the Donald Rumsfeld of superheroes.

I thought when he was talking about following 'rules' he was talking about his one rule.  He even says, "I only have one rule."  That of course being that he has to be righteous.  The whole point of having a Batman is so that when society's rules fail, he can step in and bring the pain - so to speak.  But as I'm sure you are aware the state of righteousness and following the letter of the law are two completely different things.  You can argue over whether such a thing as righteousness even exists at all, but shut the fuck up.  This is Batman. 

All your other stuff kind of falls apart after you realize that.

AKA Gyoza
schild
Administrator

Reply #168 on: July 22, 2008, 10:25:34 PM

Basically, Batman is neutral good. Next!

Edit: Wrong alignment, here we are.

Neutral Good is known as the "Benefactor" alignment. A neutral good character is guided by his conscience and typically acts altruistically, without regard for or against Lawful precepts such as rules or tradition. A neutral good character may cooperate with lawful officials but does not feel beholden to them. A doctor that treats soldiers from both sides in a war would be considered Neutral Good.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: July 22, 2008, 10:44:19 PM

* Bullshit *
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:13:20 PM by jpark »

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
schild
Administrator

Reply #170 on: July 22, 2008, 10:48:22 PM

Bullshit, it won't do a damn thing to his career. If it does, Hugh Grant and Robert Downey Jr, and Russell Crowe should be taken out back and shot. in the head.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #171 on: July 23, 2008, 01:21:57 AM

Just saw it last night despite having to be up 4 hours later for work when it finished. Amazing. I've been avoiding this thread like the plague and would of had to if I stayed true to seeing it IMAX only the first time.

I'll go see it again in IMAX next week though.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #172 on: July 23, 2008, 09:24:58 AM

Fanboy wankery.

I think the best way for Nolan to conclude the story he's telling would be to do something similar to the Dark Knight Returns (although I don't really have any desire to see a direct translation of that story).  Basically he's told the story about that start of Batman's career, and it would be fitting if he concluded things with the end of it.  That leaves a large span of untold stories for WB/DC to fill in since they won't want to end the franchise while it's making so much money, and it lets Nolan tell Batman's story in a bookend sort of manner similar to what Frank Miller had with Year One and DKR.  Audiences get a story with a definitive beginning, middle, and end, which is something we'll never get in the comics.

Or maybe Nolan will just say fuck it and throw something together with Killer Croc, Clock King, and Clayface.

I could see that happening at least. If they waited awhile and/or got older actors. Kind of like the Two Jakes sequel to Chinatown, if you will (which were some 25 years apart, I believe). That's possibly the best way of scooting by the fact that Heath is gone as well.. Someone else could play an older Joker.

In a way though, I kind of see this movie already having a fitting conclusion to Batman's career. i.e. Going underground again, being the Dark Knight, with Gotham's fate still in a tug of war between peace and chaos, and things left to chance. Nolan already gave a sort of nod's up to DKR with the copycat Batmans and shit too. The only thing missing is a slugfest between him and Superman [edit] (and that's probably the only part left of the Batman story worth telling, in this context. His difference with Superman).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:29:19 AM by Stray »
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: July 23, 2008, 11:32:11 PM

Finally saw it tonight. Best movie I've seen in a LONG time. Absolutely amazing from top to bottom. Everyone has summed up the various parts and plot twists, but wanted to point out a couple of things that brought me a lot of enjoyment in my viewing:

The creepy droning violins leading up to the appearance of the Joker in various scenes. Really added atmosphere.

The Joker's facial expressions and reactions when seeing Harvey Dent's face in the hospital.
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: July 24, 2008, 04:31:59 AM

Here are a couple articles on some of the work that was done. Quite a lot of special effects where you wouldn't have noticed.

http://vfxworld.com/index.php?atype=articles&id=3705

http://vfxworld.com/?atype=articles&id=3707

On the second link you get a real comparison of the 'academy' frame versus the IMAX frame. Amazing cameras.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Dark Knight  
Jump to: