Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 10:51:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1370598 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #2520 on: February 05, 2015, 03:27:54 PM

Confession: I never played any of the previous Personas.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2521 on: February 05, 2015, 03:39:46 PM

That is something you should fix.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2522 on: February 05, 2015, 05:21:42 PM

What the fuck did I just watch and where can I get some?
I think Fantastic Contraption had angry sex with Warcraft. I definitely saw a robot hate-fucking a small cottage.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2523 on: February 06, 2015, 01:34:54 AM

Confession: I never played any of the previous Personas.
Ditto.  Keep meaning to, but I'm easily distracted.  Also doesn't help the older ones are all on PS2, which I don't have.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #2524 on: February 06, 2015, 01:42:34 AM

Short of buying a Vita (which would go a bit far) it's actually quite hard to play any of the old Personas (even 4) without resorting to emulation and illegal downloads.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2525 on: February 06, 2015, 02:07:26 AM

Unless you have one of the awesome first PS3s, which had PS2 emulation hardware. Great stuff.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2526 on: February 06, 2015, 02:09:12 AM

Unless you have one of the awesome first PS3s, which had PS2 emulation hardware. Great stuff.
Or two of them. #ihave3ps3s
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2527 on: February 06, 2015, 02:13:27 AM

It's ridiculous that up to the PS2 and 2008 we had all the Shin Megami Tensei games up to Persona 4, and then pretty much nothing for the PS3 and nothing at all on the PS4 at least until December 2015. Console gaming is so disappointing these days.

Interesting fact. Wikipedia says the North American PSN has Persona 4 available (ported?) for the PS3. Is it true?

schild
Administrator

Reply #2528 on: February 06, 2015, 02:38:03 AM

Persona 4
Persona 3 Fes
Persona 2
Digital Devil Saga
Digital Devil Saga Pt 2
Nocturne

It's really not hard to play Persona games on a new PS3. On a PS4 it doesn't even begin to become an option.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2529 on: February 06, 2015, 03:08:40 AM

This is awesome! I actually have all of them in the original boxes, but it's good to know that they'd work on a newer PS3 too.

Except for..

This title has been converted from the original PlayStation®2 version to the PS3™ system. Consequently, there may be times where the title plays differently from the PlayStation®2 version, or where some features may not function properly.

ACK!

schild
Administrator

Reply #2530 on: February 06, 2015, 03:25:48 AM

Every single PS2 digital release for the PS2 says that. I've NEVER encountered it on any title. But then... I have first run PS3s so who the fuck knows.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #2531 on: February 06, 2015, 03:34:12 AM

Also not available in the EU
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2532 on: February 06, 2015, 03:50:34 AM

Persona 3 FES should be available for PS3 in the EU apparently. MUST BUY if you haven't played it.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2533 on: February 06, 2015, 03:50:43 AM

I think I've asked this like, 10 times before, but I'll ask it again because I'm to lazy to search.  Is it in any way better to play the games from oldest to newest (like, I guess I'd start at Persona 2 and work my way up).  Or do they have absoutly nothing to do with each other, like Final Fantasy?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2534 on: February 06, 2015, 03:52:56 AM

Nothing to do with each other (except for Digital Devil Saga part 1 and 2). Pick whichever. My favourites are Persona 3 and Digital Devil Saga, but they all have that SMT feel you are gonna become intoxicated with.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #2535 on: February 06, 2015, 04:27:07 AM

I think I've asked this like, 10 times before, but I'll ask it again because I'm to lazy to search.  Is it in any way better to play the games from oldest to newest (like, I guess I'd start at Persona 2 and work my way up).  Or do they have absoutly nothing to do with each other, like Final Fantasy?
They share similar concepts with one another like Final Fantasy series but there's occasional cameos/references to characters from older installments in the more recent ones, so going in chronological order makes a bit of sense. Also should help to gradually ease you into the concepts added later, as opposed to dumping bunch of features on you that you might find yourself missing in the older titles.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 04:31:07 AM by tmp »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2536 on: February 06, 2015, 06:40:22 AM

For Persona, 1 and 2 are nothing like 3 and 4; I would start with 3 FES but starting with 4 is fine.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2537 on: February 06, 2015, 09:21:51 AM

Pesrona 3 is such gaming nirvana, even if you don't finish it, you owe it to yourself to play it.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2538 on: February 06, 2015, 12:02:50 PM

If I hate JRPGs, will I hate Persona/SMT? Mostly what I hate is the combat in most of them, if that helps.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2539 on: February 06, 2015, 12:07:13 PM

If I hate JRPGs, will I hate Persona/SMT? Mostly what I hate is the combat in most of them, if that helps.
It's Pokemon for adults mixed with the logical and sometimes illogical extremes of Final Fantasy VI when it started getting dark.

If you hate JRPGs, I can't see a world where you like Shin Megami Tensei. I would, however, say that Atlus picked up where Square left off prior to Final Fantasy VII. They've been improving whereas Square has ONLY gotten worse.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2540 on: February 06, 2015, 12:08:48 PM

Combat is still turn based, so if that's a deal breaker then you'll hate it.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2541 on: February 06, 2015, 12:53:07 PM

Well, to be more specific, is it turn-based in the way FF games usually are (your guys are standing there, their guys are standing there, give orders and watch what happens) or is there a tactical element as well? Positioning, movement, etc.?

In general I *like* turn-based combat (I love Fire Emblem for example) but there needs to be a movement element involved.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2542 on: February 06, 2015, 01:03:28 PM

SMT is basically Pokemon for adults, and everything that comes with that concept (more, varied creatures with more, varied nuances among them).

Persona is a more hip, streamlined version of SMT.

I can't say if you hate JRPGs that you'll like it. I can't say that you'll hate it either. Persona 3, 4, Digital Devil Saga, and Nocturne are better than Fire Emblem by an obscene margin though, that's for damn sure (and I liked Fire Emblem).

Edit: Basically, you liking Fire Emblem throws out my statement above of you not liking these because they are JRPGs. But it doesn't guarantee likability either.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2543 on: February 06, 2015, 01:12:16 PM

Well, to be more specific, is it turn-based in the way FF games usually are (your guys are standing there, their guys are standing there, give orders and watch what happens) or is there a tactical element as well? Positioning, movement, etc.?

In general I *like* turn-based combat (I love Fire Emblem for example) but there needs to be a movement element involved.
No movement or positioning, but elemental attacks, status effects and stat buffs/debuffs matter an order of magnitude more than they do in FF.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2544 on: February 06, 2015, 02:35:31 PM

The SMT games have several subgenres too... my favorites are the 'pure' dungeon crawlers (Nocturne, Strange Journey, probably the other mainline SMT games whenever I get to play them) and the SRPG-likes (Devil Survivor 1-2). The Persona games didn't stick with me much.

e: if you like Fire Emblem, take a look at Devil Survivor in particular
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 02:39:10 PM by Zetor »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2545 on: February 07, 2015, 02:27:46 AM

Sunless Sea just left Early Access and it's now a real, complete game. Go get it. (And prepare to read a lot).
Also, another example of Kickstarter went well. They asked for 60kŁ (roughly $90k), got 100kŁ ($150k) , delvered a fantastic game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIk2PqPU3o

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #2546 on: February 07, 2015, 10:47:38 AM

Sunless Sea just left Early Access and it's now a real, complete game. Go get it. (And prepare to read a lot).
Also, another example of Kickstarter went well. They asked for 60kŁ (roughly $90k), got 100kŁ ($150k) , delvered a fantastic game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIk2PqPU3o

Looks cool but that does not look like a $20 game.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2547 on: February 07, 2015, 11:27:25 AM

I'd have been happy paying $30 for it and I've spent far more on worse games.  It's great, though there's a lot of reading.  You really have to take time to understand options.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2548 on: February 07, 2015, 11:48:42 AM

It's a very good game. It's clealry not for everyone since it is mostly about reading, You have to love to read. If you have don't ever pick up books anymore in your life, just forget about it.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2549 on: February 07, 2015, 01:06:19 PM

I find that it has a really interesting psycological dynamic on me, where I spend time at port reading and assessing situations, then making choices.  It's really thoughtful and mellow at port.  However, hitting the seas and all the sudden something happens and supplies are gone.  Then shit gets real tense.  Can I make it to port before I eat a crewmember?  Do I have enough money to even buy supplies? 

It's not hard to lose an hour in what feels like five minutes.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #2550 on: February 07, 2015, 07:47:24 PM

I find that it has a really interesting psycological dynamic on me, where I spend time at port reading and assessing situations, then making choices.  It's really thoughtful and mellow at port.  However, hitting the seas and all the sudden something happens and supplies are gone.  Then shit gets real tense.  Can I make it to port before I eat a crewmember?  Do I have enough money to even buy supplies? 

I enjoy it quite a bit. But the game begs to be on my iPad.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2551 on: February 09, 2015, 08:59:13 AM

I enjoy it quite a bit. But the game begs to be on my iPad.

Jesus Christ, if Sunless Sea hits mobile, I'll never get any work done again.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2552 on: February 13, 2015, 07:59:01 AM

Majora's Mask 3D out today!  If you have a 3DS and do not buy this, you are probably some sort of communist.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2553 on: February 13, 2015, 11:37:01 AM

Something.... Perosna 5 related is going on here. Sorry evryone, I am severly jet lagged so I don't make much sense. Also, I am on your same timezone (pretty much). Weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS3JXMfiLRQ

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2554 on: February 13, 2015, 12:05:20 PM

Godus posts moved to the actual Godus topic.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: