Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 05:11:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Daredevil 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel's Daredevil  (Read 106730 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: April 11, 2015, 03:35:03 PM

Finished this, it's solid all the way through, another hit.

It's showing a new side to the Marvel Universe that isn't seen in the movies nor SHIELD.

They also end it with enough questions to have a second season if they want it, but not so many questions that you don't have closure if this is it.

Some of the situations DD escapes are a weeee bit of a stretch at times, but they counter balance it with the fact he is getting torn the fuck up constantly, so you still get a sense that if he is just a tiny bit slower or a little bit unlucky, he is dead.

All the supporting characters are excellent, I have no complaints with any of the casting or acting here.

On the ending:

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: April 11, 2015, 08:28:18 PM

10 episodes in and this is definitely some of the best TV I've had the pleasure to binge on in a long, long time. Superb cast, down and dirty fight choreography that feels real and punishing (and oh gods brutal), huge swathes of pathos with none of the tedious melodrama exhibited by other Supers shows (oh hai Arrow/Flash), and a fully fleshed out, shades of grey villain brilliantly portrayed by D'Onofrio. I hate that I only have 3 episodes left to watch, and yet I've already sat through more of this than there have been Iron Man movies in terms of time. I need this to be a hit - Marvel should have been doing street-level TV long before now.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #72 on: April 11, 2015, 10:21:20 PM

About half way through binge watching this with a friend who's a huge daredevil fan (I know jack and shot about the character other than he's blind).  Really good so far, I'm certainly enjoying it.  Nice to see Marvel actually sign off on a gritty, violent, adult only show.  Seriously, this is not for children. 

It gives me hope we might actually see a punisher series some day.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: April 11, 2015, 11:27:17 PM

Dear Marvel Agents of SHIELD:

This is how you TV.

Signed,
Daredevil

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: April 12, 2015, 05:45:52 AM

I wouldn't want SHIELD to be like Daredevil; SHIELD is decent all-ages fare with a lot of heart and heavy on the banter instead of compound fractures. I just want some more of this new Daredevil flavour.
Makes me wonder how adult oriented they're looking at making AKA Jessica Jones and the subsequent Luke Cage/Iron Fist stuff. We've not really seen any actual Supers throw down outside of the movies, yet. Obviously there are budget constraints there, but if Sony are making Powers work (I haven't seen any yet, though I'm a big fan of the source material) Marvel are definitely going to want in on that action, TV wise.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: April 12, 2015, 07:08:50 AM

My only real quibbles are that Fisk just ran away with the show about half way through. He completely eclipses Daredevil. The other bit is that DD loses a serious step in the fight department at the same time. He "wins" by the magic of "a Murdoch always gets up."

One of the most pleasant surprises is how much they give to their supporting cast and how much they get out of them. I was really surprised how much I liked Leland. That guy is always that sort of character but he did interesting things with it for him.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: April 12, 2015, 07:20:21 AM

Eh...the guy IS super powered,that ain't magic. I've only watched the first three episodes but they have already done a good job establishing that he isn't just a tough blind guy.

I am the .00000001428%
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: April 12, 2015, 08:59:03 PM

My only real quibbles are that Fisk just ran away with the show about half way through. He completely eclipses Daredevil. The other bit is that DD loses a serious step in the fight department at the same time. He "wins" by the magic of "a Murdoch always gets up."

One of the most pleasant surprises is how much they give to their supporting cast and how much they get out of them. I was really surprised how much I liked Leland. That guy is always that sort of character but he did interesting things with it for him.

I'd be totally happy with a 2nd season of Wilson Fisk, troubled boy.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: April 12, 2015, 10:38:11 PM

People complained about Fisk online but I think a lot of people fail to realize the entire first season was simply the origin story for daredevil AND kingpin.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #79 on: April 12, 2015, 11:30:09 PM

Okay, you bastards, you talked me into it. But if this sucks, I'm coming after all of you.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: April 13, 2015, 03:42:12 AM

I'm surprised at how much I care about Wilson farking Fisk.  They have a good cast all around and good scripts.  Foggy's getting all the best lines.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: April 13, 2015, 10:45:39 AM

Finished this, it's solid all the way through, another hit.

It's showing a new side to the Marvel Universe that isn't seen in the movies nor SHIELD.

They also end it with enough questions to have a second season if they want it, but not so many questions that you don't have closure if this is it.

Some of the situations DD escapes are a weeee bit of a stretch at times, but they counter balance it with the fact he is getting torn the fuck up constantly, so you still get a sense that if he is just a tiny bit slower or a little bit unlucky, he is dead.

All the supporting characters are excellent, I have no complaints with any of the casting or acting here.

On the ending:

Edited because I should have used spoiler on that.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: April 13, 2015, 10:54:41 AM

Just rewatched the big fight scene at the end of episode 2. That is really a classic scene--very much vaults into the pantheon of top 20-30 fight scenes ever, maybe.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: April 13, 2015, 11:41:55 PM

I wish they would not have done it in a hall. The exhaustion he portrays is great. But all I could think was this is really a great tribute to Oldboy.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: April 14, 2015, 05:02:05 AM

I wish they would not have done it in a hall. The exhaustion he portrays is great. But all I could think was this is really a great tribute to Oldboy.

Ohhhhh, I see.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #85 on: April 14, 2015, 08:41:49 AM

I've only watched the first episode so far. Daredevil is hands down, my favorite comic character since the Frank Miller days. The first episode was a great start. I really, really dig their fight coordinator's work. The right mix of acrobatics, fine martial arts and just brutal MMA-street level-win-at-all-costs savagery. If it gets better from there, I'm in for a treat.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: April 14, 2015, 09:03:52 AM

I've only watched the first episode so far. Daredevil is hands down, my favorite comic character since the Frank Miller days. The first episode was a great start. I really, really dig their fight coordinator's work. The right mix of acrobatics, fine martial arts and just brutal MMA-street level-win-at-all-costs savagery. If it gets better from there, I'm in for a treat.

It does.  If you liked the fight choreography that much episode 2 is going to be a treat.

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: April 14, 2015, 09:06:53 AM

Three episodes in (stupid vacation kept me away until Sunday night) and very pleased so far... that fight scene at the end of episode 2 is amazing.  I almost called in sick just so that I could watch the rest.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #88 on: April 14, 2015, 10:09:33 AM

Really enjoying it so far, though the constant teasing towards things like the various makeshift throwing weapons he keeps finding is a little annoying. Loving that they've made Kingpin in to an actual interesting character with some personality.

I'm about half way through and they totally pulled one over on me on how things went, was a pleasant surprise that I didn't see it coming. .  I'm having to really force myself not to binge watch this.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: April 14, 2015, 11:50:54 AM

Even though it sounds stupid now that I type it, I have limited myself to one episode per week so that I don't feel cheated because I blasted through it and then have to wait even longer for more.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: April 14, 2015, 12:30:07 PM

It's nice that Netflix provides that option.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: April 14, 2015, 03:58:56 PM

Even though it sounds stupid now that I type it, I have limited myself to one episode per week so that I don't feel cheated because I blasted through it and then have to wait even longer for more.
My approach to this problem: I expect to rewatch it 5 times (or so) before we get Jessica Jones.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: April 14, 2015, 04:56:13 PM

I am surprised that I haven't seen more of this complaint but:

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: April 14, 2015, 05:14:18 PM

What's there to complain about?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: April 14, 2015, 05:19:44 PM

I was pretty pissed about that as well.  Great series, but that was a pretty big fuck up and a complete waste, imo.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: April 14, 2015, 05:39:11 PM

Bullshit.  To say it was a fuck up simply means that the comics are sacred and the show dare not tread any ground the comics don't.  Great character sure but it made sense in the narrative and there are a hundred other ways to tie things together.  If you want spoilers, look up the symbol on Madam Gao's heroin packets.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: April 14, 2015, 05:51:28 PM

Definitely not a fuck-up, certainly not a waste, but gods above it made me sad.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: April 14, 2015, 05:53:18 PM

I am surprised that I haven't seen more of this complaint but:

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: April 14, 2015, 06:00:08 PM

-Stephen Colbert
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: April 14, 2015, 07:16:51 PM

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: April 14, 2015, 08:03:39 PM

Making characters sacred, being afraid to drop anyone from the cast, You know where that leads? Heroes.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: April 14, 2015, 08:17:59 PM

I've never been a fan of DD, can count on one hand how many of his comics I've bought, but yeah, this show delivers the goods. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #102 on: April 14, 2015, 08:20:40 PM

Just got through Ep2 and 3.

Hallway scene - fuck me. An homage to Oldboy but without being director wank, and really, really amazing fucking filmmaking.

Ep 3 - just  ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK!

The fact that this show probably won't even be nominated for Emmys (I'm not even sure it's eligible) is a goddamn travesty. This isn't just good superhero drama, this is great fucking drama.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: April 14, 2015, 08:44:29 PM

Making characters sacred, being afraid to drop anyone from the cast, You know where that leads? Heroes.
Of the great many things that went wrong with heroes, not killing off enough of the cast was at the very very bottom of the list.   awesome, for real

Anyways, I liked the series a lot.  The only quibble I have is that the Daredevil, err, doesn't actually seem that good.  He seems to get the crap kicked out of him by normal dudes fairly often.  For a guy who is suppose to be able to sense everything that's going on, and exactly what his opponent is about to do, he's really bad at dodging kicks to the face.   why so serious?

But on the other hand, it did give the fights a visceral, intense feel.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:01:33 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: April 14, 2015, 09:07:31 PM

Think of the last episode...spoilers...of course.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Daredevil  
Jump to: