Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 02:41:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online  (Read 166408 times)
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: June 28, 2010, 04:41:16 PM

Tyranids are actually good in that, a) they ate the squats and b) they ate some space marine chapters thereby decreasing the amount of space marine players. Theres probably a c) there somewhere. Plus they look cool.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #281 on: June 28, 2010, 04:46:46 PM

Tyranids are actually good in that, a) they ate the squats
Mob

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: June 28, 2010, 05:10:32 PM

You can't put these in your game and say these aren't evil because they are established in popular culture as evil tropes.
swamp poop

Yeah this is obviously just wrong. I mean, you can't have a movie with good vampires or a Star Trek show with friendly Klingons either, right, since those are already established as evil tropes in pop culture!

Sure authors can do that but it's extremely hard to pull off without the result being crap. Vampires generally don't work as good characters although they may be sympthetic. Only Blade springs to mind as a good vampire that's at all credible. The Anne Rice vampire were fascinating but not good. The Twilight ones seem ludicrous, basically cute boys with a bad boy habit the heroine can't tell her mum about. And vampires as non-villains were only really made possible by a huge body of fiction exploring the moral boundaries of the affliction.

Star Trek made Klingons work after laying a lot of background plot down first. The Federation is peace-loving and employs multiple species - it's not a stretch that a Klingon might be accepted into the Navy.

Warhammer 40K has done none of the prep. If they want to make H R Giger aliens into peacenik touchy feely hippies who like knitting baby clothes it will just be stupid. It's not the prerogative of an author to determine good and evil when writing genre fiction within the constraints of a 25 year old IP. Good-aligned tyrannids or orks would just be terrible retconning and would absolutely destroy the game.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: June 28, 2010, 05:19:40 PM

You can't put these in your game and say these aren't evil because they are established in popular culture as evil tropes.
swamp poop

Yeah this is obviously just wrong. I mean, you can't have a movie with good vampires or a Star Trek show with friendly Klingons either, right, since those are already established as evil tropes in pop culture!

Sure authors can do that but it's extremely hard to pull off without the result being crap. Vampires generally don't work as good characters although they may be sympthetic. Only Blade springs to mind as a good vampire that's at all credible. The Anne Rice vampire were fascinating but not good. The Twilight ones seem ludicrous, basically cute boys with a bad boy habit the heroine can't tell her mum about. And vampires as non-villains were only really made possible by a huge body of fiction exploring the moral boundaries of the affliction.

Star Trek made Klingons work after laying a lot of background plot down first. The Federation is peace-loving and employs multiple species - it's not a stretch that a Klingon might be accepted into the Navy.

Warhammer 40K has done none of the prep. If they want to make H R Giger aliens into peacenik touchy feely hippies who like knitting baby clothes it will just be stupid. It's not the prerogative of an author to determine good and evil when writing genre fiction within the constraints of a 25 year old IP. Good-aligned tyrannids or orks would just be terrible retconning and would absolutely destroy the game.

I think we are just having two totally different conversations at this point.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: June 28, 2010, 05:33:23 PM

Stabs, it's one thing to say that you cannot change a faction's morality while working within a given IP, and another to say that you can't because POP CULTURE SAYS SO ZOMG!!!

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: June 28, 2010, 05:47:37 PM

Relying on tropes to define a character means it's shit writing.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #286 on: June 28, 2010, 06:19:26 PM

swamp poop

You have a german accent, don't you?   Ohhhhh, I see.

Nein!

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: June 28, 2010, 07:09:43 PM

Now for tabletop wargaming you need that. It would be a royal pain in the arse to set out rank after rank of infantry minatures only to have your opponent plonk a diplomat down and say he's come to negotiate a trade treaty.

Now I want a figure for a water caste envoy.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #288 on: June 28, 2010, 07:21:39 PM

Ah, I see.  He can't disassociate.  Also, when people leave his line of sight, they completely cease to exist.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: June 29, 2010, 04:34:40 AM

Nonsense

Fess up. You wrote that terrible article and you want our validation.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #290 on: June 29, 2010, 03:44:15 PM

Love the GW IP, play lots of WoW... I've heard this almost verbatim somewhere else. Someone help me out here? It was like Boreslammer: Rage of Beckoning or something like that.

I believe if you put on some shitty sunglasses, throw up the satan's horns gesture, and stick your tongue out with your mouth open while running around screaming "I'm a fucking douche bag. Everyone look at me because what I'm promoting is EVERYWHERE WAAAAAGH!" it will come back to you.  why so serious?

Classic, what is Paul up to these days anyhow?

The Force is strong with this one

Image from Video EATV: E3 Live Stage
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #291 on: June 29, 2010, 03:45:07 PM

ACK!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #292 on: June 29, 2010, 04:22:32 PM

Fuck do I hate that guy! Argh!

God Save the Horn Players
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: June 29, 2010, 04:31:04 PM

Still wearing the sunglasses I see.  WTF is he still employed?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #294 on: June 29, 2010, 04:38:40 PM

He fills an important niche.  Who else could do what he does?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: June 29, 2010, 04:40:16 PM

3 laws of the universe

1. Douche bags wear sunglasses when there is no sunlight.
2. Douche bags are always employed.
3. When a douche bag fucks up at the job he makes more money not less.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: June 29, 2010, 06:08:13 PM

Every dude from the Jersey Shore
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: June 29, 2010, 07:52:00 PM

Haha! I *knew* that fucker was going to be front and center at Bioware eventually! Oh SWTOR, I expect great things from you.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: June 29, 2010, 09:09:16 PM

To be completely fair to the douchebag, there wasn't actually much wrong with the creative direction of WAR, which was theoretically his area.

The problems were on the Mythic side, not the GW (or even EA) side.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: June 29, 2010, 09:35:59 PM

The reason I quoted Castronova is his argument that tropes cannot be inverted by designer fiat, not his argument that people who play orcs are evil.

He only makes one argument, the former is predicated on the latter.

In the meantime, I posit that you are not allowed to write a good or sympathetic Jewish character: established culture demands otherwise.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: June 30, 2010, 03:54:03 AM

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if a million fans cried out "WTF?  This guy is still employed?"

Darth Douchebag.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: June 30, 2010, 05:14:58 AM

PeeBee visited the Giant Bomb live podcast at E3: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/giant-bomb-live-from-los-angeles-day-three/2208/

Yes, he wears sunglasses even there.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #302 on: June 30, 2010, 06:37:47 AM

You really do have to respect the quality of his douchebaggery.  Most folks couldn't be that big of an asshole even if they put in with lots of training and hard work. 
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #303 on: June 30, 2010, 01:44:53 PM

PB still kicking around is one of nature's miracles.  For him.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #304 on: July 01, 2010, 09:35:12 AM

I think I begin to see something here. A pattern has emerged. I truly believe that this cockmouthed douchenozzle not only counts himself lucky to be in a job, I think he's genuinely surprised that ANYONE, much less one of the largest video game publishers on the fucking planet employs him. And he's even more surprised that not only do they employ him, they pay to send him to places where he has to talk to the actual real people.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: July 01, 2010, 10:31:22 AM

Like a modern court jester?

Tearofsoul
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: July 01, 2010, 10:44:13 AM

WAR40K courts 1 million users, WoW players

I begin to worry about this game  ACK!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: July 01, 2010, 11:20:18 AM

Does anyone know WAR's max sub count? If it broke a million I'd be surprised and even it it did, it wasn't for long. I mean honestly even if they are two totally different companies do you really think the 40k version isn't going to suffer from a LOT of bad memories from WAR?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: July 01, 2010, 11:24:24 AM

No it won't. Its a setting about pew pew and more pew pew.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: July 01, 2010, 11:38:32 AM

Does anyone know WAR's max sub count? If it broke a million I'd be surprised and even it it did, it wasn't for long. I mean honestly even if they are two totally different companies do you really think the 40k version isn't going to suffer from a LOT of bad memories from WAR?

From memory it was about a quarter million. There are threads somewhere here discussing it.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: July 01, 2010, 11:43:36 AM

"Have you seen it? The movie? I think it speaks for itself," Bilson told CVG. "I'm a diehard MMO player myself - going back to EverQuest. I've spent lots of time in WoW. As a WoW fanatic, I'm going to go right to 40K as soon as it comes out. It's very friendly to the WoW player."

Its like they've been reading f13 and consciously decided to do the exact opposite of everything we say. awesome, for real
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #311 on: July 01, 2010, 12:25:38 PM

From memory it was about a quarter million. There are threads somewhere here discussing it.

They said 800k accounts shortly after release, first quarter sub numbers were 300k then 300k next quarter, not said since.

Remember this WAR interview?

Eurogamer: Do you have a number of players in mind that you'd consider a success?

Paul Barnett: I don't know what the business people have - they have all sorts of crazy numbers, and things to do with shareholders, and things that would probably get me fired. But we're having a staff pool. I put down my bet: a million within the year, and then three million.
[On releasing in Europe.]

Paul Barnett: Because if you look at Europe, you realise that WOW took months and months and months to get there. It's really really hard to find a company that understands how to put servers in, get bandwidth, speak loads of languages, co-ordinate with all the different countries, realise that the Italians don't like the Germans who are suspicious of the French who don't talk to the English who don't really like the Dutch who don't understand the Spanish.

GOA did it with Dark Age of Camelot and they've done it really well. They've done it in a very European way, but they've done it very well, and it's more of the same. EA couldn't have done it, what the hell would EA know about it? They know nothing about launching MMOs in Europe, unless it's spending lots of money closing them down I suppose.

Paul is wasted on mmo's in my opinion, he should be anchored in a flagship somewhere exotic, surrounded by the disciples of his new Religion.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: July 01, 2010, 04:32:23 PM

This shit is great. This is all EXACTLY THE SAME as WAR. Exactly. The tone of the press releases, the WoW Done Right spiel, the art style, the movies, the sub predictions. I wasn't expecting much but I am quite literally agape at this because it's like these people live in a world where WAR never existed.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #313 on: July 01, 2010, 04:34:14 PM

None of those things are why WAR was bad, though. WAR was bad because they fell down on the actual execution. 3 star talent etc etc etc.

Nothing about what they're saying about the 40k game tells us that it will be good or bad, really. We can't say they're 'repeating the mistakes that Mythic did' until we see them actually repeat them in the product. All that shit in WAR's marketing would look fine today if the game had been any good.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: July 01, 2010, 04:38:21 PM

None of those things are why WAR was bad, though. WAR was bad because they fell down on the actual execution. 3 star talent etc etc etc.

Nothing about what they're saying about the 40k game tells us that it will be good or bad, really. We can't say they're 'repeating the mistakes that Mythic did' until we see them actually repeat them in the product. All that shit in WAR's marketing would look fine today if the game had been any good.

Yeah, this time its gonna be TOTALLY different. why so serious?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online  
Jump to: