Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 01:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online  (Read 166449 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #175 on: June 21, 2010, 03:31:56 PM

It's 3 years from release.  The games may bore me but the players never do, Vigil, welcome to mmo market, please try not to be scared.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: June 21, 2010, 03:43:57 PM

It's 3 years from release.  The games may bore me but the players never do, Vigil, welcome to mmo market, please try not to be scared.

Planetside wasn't 100% war, it was 100% a war not happening than a 100% a war happening followed by long stretches of a war not happening. Though I have to agree with"If I'm not in a fight within the first 5 minutes of logging in your game fails".
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: June 21, 2010, 04:50:12 PM

I wonder if they can find a way to introduce the tau into Warhammer Fantasy.   awesome, for real

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizardmen_(Warhammer)

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #178 on: June 21, 2010, 04:56:19 PM

I'm not seeing any comparison between the two except for a caste system of sorts.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 05:04:37 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: June 21, 2010, 05:01:26 PM

Should be moving battlefields. You have 45 minutes to take an objective before it's nuked from orbit. Regardless of if you took it or not, we're just purging it to be sure. So, you know, get your fancy guns from the armory you just stormed fast.  Heart
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: June 21, 2010, 05:12:18 PM

I'm not seeing any comparison between the two except for a caste system of sorts.

They both hate undead, favour magic and ranged tech, both are lizard hippies.

Lore for both is taken from native cultures of the americas.

They are as well linked as necron/undead or chaos/chaos or eldar/elf, though neither has been explored in as much detail as some other races.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #181 on: June 21, 2010, 06:53:29 PM

I'm going to see if I can use, "That's NOT grimdark!" in the future.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: June 21, 2010, 07:20:34 PM

I'm going to see if I can use, "That's NOT grimdark!" in the future.

The universe is grimdark if your a human or eldar.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #183 on: June 21, 2010, 07:21:58 PM

Well, Orks do seem to see grimdark as we would see sunshine and rainbows...

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: June 22, 2010, 08:25:59 AM

It's written by a Goon to be, uh, deliberately goonie.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: June 22, 2010, 08:42:46 AM

I thought it was awesome, and summed up my feelings.

If this thing isn't a shooter, or at least a Faux shooter, its stupid. Bear farming and doing quests for "the people" is bullshit for this IP, standard quest/loot/level is the wrong path for this.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:02:45 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: June 22, 2010, 09:14:41 AM

This sounds like just another case of some dev./investor having some "vision" and that vision has to be realized no matter how fuckin retarded it is and no matter what the cost.   Also, a D&Dhammer game generates more income for staff et. al. simply do to the length of development time and size.  Art, scripting, animation, quests, playtesting, cust. serv., etc.

So what I'm saying is even though ultimately the design may fail, initially it generates more income for the studio (even regardless of box sales, because the staff must be paid).  The staff can then just take their walk of shame holding a bag of money over their shoulders.  Then onto the next project, while the studio is bloated in value due to overspeculative investment spending.  Or, they can just sell...  blah blah (we've been down this path before.)  If they cover their box sales, gtfo and strip the live team to minimum.  Rinse, wash, repeat.

So yeah, perhaps the sensible design doc. was just "too small" (development-wise) to make it to the final cut.  This design doc. being the most obvious, which is a persistent FPS in the vein of PS or WW2O and everyone and their fucking mother, grandmother, and mother from another brother knows is the proper design path.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #187 on: June 22, 2010, 09:28:08 AM

It's written by a Goon to be, uh, deliberately goonie.

I linked the SA post.

Edit to add

E3 THQ Dark Millennium Interview

I ask whether they can tell me anything about the PvP aspect of the game, whether battles will be limited to instanced zones, or whether confrontations will have a larger effect on the game world.

“Details about PvP will be answered later,” Georgina Verdon says, “but we have playable code for battleground scenarios already.”
“People in California are fighting people in Austin,” Tim Holman says. “We have over 40 hours of gameplay footage that we had to boil down to about 30 seconds for the trailer.”
“A battleground is in there, it’s working, and it’s f@&#ing awesome,” Verdon laughs.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:37:17 AM by Arthur_Parker »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #188 on: June 22, 2010, 12:09:17 PM

Facepalm

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: June 22, 2010, 12:21:47 PM

As a fan of wow I would like to formerly apologize for ruining online games.  From this point on, every shitty developer is going to try and copy their pattern instead of doing something new or inventive.  I personally would play a pvp centric WH40K, hell I even played WAR for a bit but I already played wow, I'd like something different now please.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: June 22, 2010, 12:42:26 PM

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only queueing for battlegrounds.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: June 22, 2010, 12:55:54 PM

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: June 22, 2010, 01:49:23 PM

I don't play wow, so my only understanding of instance combat in a mmo is guild wars...someone explain battle grounds.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: June 22, 2010, 01:52:44 PM

Battleground style combat doesn't need to be WoW exactly.

I was fond of the Thid system in DAOC for just random fun. Realistic and in theme with the world? No. Amusing as hell? Yes.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: June 22, 2010, 01:53:01 PM

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only queueing for battlegrounds.
That really is grimdark.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #195 on: June 22, 2010, 01:54:40 PM

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: June 22, 2010, 01:55:04 PM

They should use the Warhammer points system for any battlegrounds.

You can bring 20 SPACE MARINES, but they can bring 300 Orks.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: June 22, 2010, 02:05:21 PM

You have a special place in hell awaiting you.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #198 on: June 22, 2010, 04:57:19 PM

You have a special place in hell awaiting you.

Was about to say the same thing.
Tearofsoul
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: June 22, 2010, 05:22:58 PM

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: June 22, 2010, 05:27:15 PM

“A battleground is in there, it’s working, and it’s f@&#ing awesome,” Verdon laughs.
[/quote]

"A battleground is in there, it's working, and it's going to be fucking boring after the 5th time, let alone the 500th"
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #201 on: June 22, 2010, 05:56:58 PM

Not depicted in this representation is the Space Marine Apothecary who doesn't even have any heals on his quickbar ("I'm basically a DPS class..."), the Ork Weirdboy who spends the whole scenario alternately screaming that he's not being healed or raging about the shitty healer in all caps in the general chat tab and the fifty billion assault marines who have no idea what the scenario objective is and don't care that the Orks are winning as long as they end up top of the 'damage dealt' table.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: June 22, 2010, 07:26:29 PM

I can haz titan mount?

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: June 23, 2010, 12:22:35 AM

They should use the Warhammer points system for any battlegrounds.

You can bring 20 SPACE MARINES, but they can bring 300 Orks.
Orks was the most awesome army when I played.

I could do ANYTHING as Orks.

The best one was where I put out more models than a Tyranid army. Those gretchin were absolutely evil.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: June 23, 2010, 12:26:24 AM

My Adeptus Mechanicus character is really a C'Tan in disguise, and therefore can compel all his party members to do anything.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #205 on: June 23, 2010, 12:51:29 AM

MMORPG.com Interviews Joe Mad and Mark Downie

Maybe it's just me but I look at images like the above and instantly think, what does the inside of a Space Marine's room look like, where do they sleep?

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #206 on: June 23, 2010, 01:54:32 AM

They don't have rooms.  Where do they sleep?  Inside their armor, in a tiny little hutch, next to a bunch of other tiny little hutches, on a ship which is traveling at assrape speed to the next fucking battle so they can eat your spleen.  That's where they sleep!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: June 23, 2010, 02:10:02 AM

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #208 on: June 23, 2010, 02:26:44 AM

Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium

We have to be honest about this one - the game we were most looking forward to seeing at E3 beside Deus Ex was Dark Millennium, the upcoming 40k MMO. However, it ranks up as the biggest disappointment of the show, given that all was on show was a trailer, and that our interview with Dave Adams, general manager on the game, pretty much added up to a blanket statement of "We're not talking about *insert topic here* at this time."

No news on classes, end-game play, even how gear and skill progression is going to work. About all we could draw out of him is that the entire team loves the IP, and plays a lot of WoW. We at least did learn he's been playing Warhammer 40,000 on the tabletop since the first edition of the rules, and he does have a preference for how much more open the setting was back then - so that's something.

But, from the trailer, the game's looking awfully cartoony - a lot like World of Warcraft in fact - and very colourful. It hardly looks like the Dark Millennium we and a lot of other fans have been waiting for.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: June 23, 2010, 08:21:48 AM

Love the GW IP, play lots of WoW... I've heard this almost verbatim somewhere else. Someone help me out here? It was like Boreslammer: Rage of Beckoning or something like that.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online  
Jump to: