Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 10:37:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain America: The Winter Soldier 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Captain America: The Winter Soldier  (Read 38348 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: April 08, 2014, 11:38:22 AM

I loved the movie, start to finish.  My only real nitpick would be not even name dropping Hawkeye.  There were perfect in-world explanations for every other Avenger not being around (Stark retired, you can't just call up Thor on your cellphone, Banner is as much a problem as he is a solution), but Hawkeye is an actual S.H.I.E.L.D agent and closely associated with both Black Widow and Cap and you don't even have a throwaway line as to why he isn't around?

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: April 08, 2014, 12:50:20 PM

Saw an interview with Kevin Feige where he says Hawkeye's whereabouts during this film are addressed very explicitly in Avengers 2 and in fact are part of the lead-in to the film's narrative.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: April 08, 2014, 01:04:48 PM

Banner is as much a problem as he is a solution

Part of the plan, I noticed, was shooting Banner with the guns.  I kinda wondered how that would have fared for them.  Sure, hitting Stark and Strange and the President from Orbit is cool, but The Hulk ?

I think they chose poorly on that particular count.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: April 08, 2014, 01:40:14 PM

Banner is as much a problem as he is a solution

Part of the plan, I noticed, was shooting Banner with the guns.  I kinda wondered how that would have fared for them.  Sure, hitting Stark and Strange and the President from Orbit is cool, but The Hulk ?

I think they chose poorly on that particular count.

Yeah, he even said on the avengers that he put a gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger and "the other guy spit out the bullet".

I am the .00000001428%
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #109 on: April 08, 2014, 01:48:42 PM

That's common knowledge to the audience not necessarily SHIELD/HYDRA.

Why would HYDRA care anyway? Just because handgun couldn't kill BB doesn't doesn't sub-orbital laser cannon won't. Worth a shot. They don't give shit collateral damage.

"Me am play gods"
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: April 08, 2014, 01:56:38 PM

The Hulk can jump to the helicarrier, and destroy it in short order.

I'm fairly certain there's no chance that the weapons on the helicarrier would even scratch The Hulk.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: April 08, 2014, 02:35:02 PM

Isn't that predicated on the fact that he's in Hulk form though?  I'd get the impression that the reason BB couldn't kill himself is that the Hulk is sharing his consciousness, kind of hard to kill yourself if the other mind in your head can stop you.  But getting hit by a sub-orbital cannon - he'd have to know it was coming in order to "defend" against the damage by Hulking out.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #112 on: April 08, 2014, 02:38:39 PM

How would Hulk jump to something he can't see?

"Me am play gods"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: April 08, 2014, 02:51:24 PM

Does plot armour work during someone else's film?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: April 08, 2014, 03:06:02 PM

Oh, goodie!  This is going to devolve into a Hulk mechanics discussion. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #115 on: April 08, 2014, 03:12:18 PM

Are there limits?  Can Hulk jump slingshot around the sun to time travel to 1982 and help ET return to Jurassic Park?

"Me am play gods"
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: April 08, 2014, 03:15:42 PM

Are there limits?  Can Hulk jump slingshot around the sun to time travel to 1982 and help ET return to Jurassic Park?
MCU Hulk, 616 Hulk, Ultimates Hulk, or Lou?

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #117 on: April 08, 2014, 03:51:42 PM

Gay Hulk from Endor.

"Me am play gods"
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: April 08, 2014, 06:19:52 PM

Isn't that just Chewbacca?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: April 09, 2014, 12:56:38 AM

Now really, really regretting bringing it up.

(But he'd get hit by a gun, hulk out and SMASH all 3 carriers.  Just saying.  The inference in Avengers was that Banner actually pulled the trigger in Banner form.)

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: April 09, 2014, 02:45:28 AM

That's my take; by staying angry all the time, Banner has found a way to keep the Hulk at bay and can turn him on fast by just letting his foot off the brake so to speak.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: April 09, 2014, 09:16:42 AM

So, the theory is that Banner - who wanted to die - was too dumb to figure out a way to kill himself that would work?  The implication in the movie was that Banner couldn't kill himself... and I think he'd be smart enough to figure out a way to hire someone to kill him when he was not expecting it if that would have worked...  Banner can't die without Hulking.

I was disappointed in a couple things. 
A very good movie, but they had just a few wtf moments that bugged me.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: April 09, 2014, 09:27:54 AM

Comic book logic and the same problem since comics began.  You simply can't factor in every character in a comic universe in every story otherwise superman shows up and ends every single batman story in 2min.  You can either try to address every possible continuity problem and fail miserably or just ignore it and let fans speculate.

Personally I'm glad they went with the latter because trying to explain everything(Even a bunch of throwaway lines adds up) makes for terrible stories both on film and in comics.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: April 09, 2014, 09:40:26 AM

Um, how would they know who it was ?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: April 09, 2014, 10:00:42 AM

Um, how would they know who it was ?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: April 09, 2014, 11:48:38 AM

You almost got me.  Almost replied to you.

Not making that mistake again !

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: April 09, 2014, 12:45:31 PM

You almost got me.  Almost replied to you.

Not making that mistake again !
I'm glad, in this second response to me, you've clarified that you do not respond to me.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: April 09, 2014, 12:53:40 PM

With that out of the way, can we go back to talking about how good a movie this is?

Because it's really good.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: April 09, 2014, 01:20:13 PM

It really is.

I'd actually go as far as to say it's the second best Marvel movie yet.

Which, as I've mentioned before, is some achievement given how utterly lame the characters and story potentially could be.  All the cast, with the exception of Redford, really, really went out the way to sell this one.  I couldn't believe that I was taking Falcon seriously.

It was brill and if you haven't seen it, you ought to.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: April 09, 2014, 04:20:47 PM

I dunno... Was it as good as the new Star Treks? How does it compare to the Hobbit movies?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #130 on: April 09, 2014, 04:39:25 PM

Mackie fucking sold me on Falcon. And any movie that has Marvin Gaye's "Trouble Man" in it is better than pretty much anything. Ever.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #131 on: April 09, 2014, 10:43:18 PM

'Nuff Said!

That was a bad ass movie. The Falcon was awesome as was the rest of it, way better than the dude in the red outfit from the 80's. Cap and Buckey's interaction and fight was great too. Damn, now I want to buy a Harley....
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: April 10, 2014, 01:15:24 AM

I dunno... Was it as good as the new Star Treks? How does it compare to the Hobbit movies?

Why you got to be like that ?

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: April 10, 2014, 01:59:29 AM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: April 10, 2014, 05:31:34 AM

If I was going to be fussy I think the only reason this isn't as good as the dark knight, or cap1, is that they don't manage to carry the thematic content of the first half into the action at the end. It makes the end feel like a fairground ride and lacks threat.

They almost went there after Cap's speech where they hinted at a "trust the people with the truth" vs "fascist efficiency" battle, but it kind if fizzled out into explosions and replace-the-widget because Robyn from HowImetyourmother said so. The winter soldier was an irrelevant distraction here more than anywhere.

I'm at risk of getting piled on for criticising a comic book film, so will stress again. It is a good film. This is more a general niggle that I almost always have with marvel films. Makes the last half an hour drag in all of them. Captain America 1 seemed to handle it best, but probably by accident.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #135 on: April 10, 2014, 09:24:07 AM

Without calling in the Hulk to take down the helicarriers, I'm not sure they could have done anything but a replace the widget type of narrative conceit to accomplish what they wanted. I think not doing a bombastic comic book fight scene to end the whole thing would have been a better film/story but would have been ill-fitting if you compare it to the previous movies in the cinematic universe.

I think though they should be applauded for taking the risk of stretching the Winter Soldier's individual story across two movies rather than wrapping it up in this movie. That part of it had a very Empire Strikes Back feel - yeah, we got this threat taken care of but bad shit is still out there and there are story threads that clearly are being left hanging for future movies.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: April 10, 2014, 10:01:07 AM

I think though they should be applauded for taking the risk of stretching the Winter Soldier's individual story across two movies rather than wrapping it up in this movie. That part of it had a very Empire Strikes Back feel - yeah, we got this threat taken care of but bad shit is still out there and there are story threads that clearly are being left hanging for future movies.
Which is actually fine.  While the hanging plotlines aren't too in-your-face, it feels like there's enough there for another movie.  I didn't leave the movie saying to myself "but this, that and the other thing didn't get resolved" because there was a resolution to the movie.   Even if that resolution was a big cinematic fight scene.  Still, it does seem weird that the character the movie was named for doesn't have his resolution, it didn't feel like we were left completely hanging either.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: April 10, 2014, 10:26:41 AM

I agree they have to have a bombastic action sequence, but the trick Marvel usually miss is the Dark Knight thing where the action is still asking the same questions the plot did earlier.

Early on the film is asking if shield, Fury, and Black Widow are making the right compromises to defend the planet, just as the Dark Knight is about (among other things) the relationship between the mob and it's heroes. In the Batman film that runs right through the action as well, which means I stay more invested in how they'll end it. In the marvel films they just end the plot and start exploding things.

But 'not quite as good as Nolan Batman' isn't a bad place to be. 

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: April 10, 2014, 10:41:12 AM

I really feel like you were not paying attention if you think the 2nd-half action is not answering the question "are we making the right compromises to defend the planet?"

The film answers, resoundingly, "No, no we're not." If you think about it, there really isn't a single thing that the Marvel Universe SHIELD has actually been right about *as an organization* in the history of the films. You could say, "well, that's because they were actually HYDRA and evil and shit" but that's not actually what the movie says. The movie says in the 2nd half action, "Even the 'good guys' went along with a plan that *stank* of HYDRA because they'd talked themselves into thinking it was good, until Captain America took a look at the plan and said, 'No fucking way are you doing that' and then took decisive action to act on that belief." 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #139 on: April 10, 2014, 12:17:46 PM

I think the whole choice Widow has to make about disseminating the information at the end, despite the personal consequences it might have for her, is a pretty good way of taking the plot of the first half of the movie all the way through the action-y bits.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Captain America: The Winter Soldier  
Jump to: