Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 02:53:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: More noob EVE questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More noob EVE questions  (Read 13729 times)
Drubear
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 29, 2006, 02:28:02 PM

Another thing to watch for is to check the reqs on the item/ship you want to use and not make assumptions.

(cue spooky/ominous music)

I was all excited about Interdictors and got the skill all trained and ready to go. Then I discovered that to fly an Interdictor >>ship<< meant I also needed to have the Destroyers skill at level 5, which I do not.

Back to BattleCruiser V for me.

Happens to the best of us.
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 03, 2006, 07:17:58 PM

Thx folks - the advice has been really paying off.  It does seem there is a min time though where learning skills hit dramatic dimishing returns.

So what's the trick with Worlds Collide?  I went in there feeling pretty butch and got sent back in a tomato can.

Mmmm veggie soup stock!
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 03, 2006, 07:53:44 PM

So what's the trick with Worlds Collide?  I went in there feeling pretty butch and got sent back in a tomato can.

This is the one with the multiple acceleration gates, where you have to rescue the crew of that damaged Heron, right?  There are three "levels" to this fight.  You jump in and there are two gates, each one is guarded by a different faction.  Choose either one, go through the gate, and you'll come into the second area.  The second area has another acceleration gate which takes you to the third area, where the Heron is, but you can't evac the crew until you've dealt with the enemies (I think).  The second area, in my experience, is where the toughest fighting goes on.

There's two ways I've heard to beat it:

1- Fight it out.  My preferred way.  You'll need something fairly buff, preferably that can handle enemies at close and medium range (since you're coming out of warp right into the middle of a cloud of them).  Can't take anything larger than a frig, though.  There are a TON of enemies here, which means a lot of money if you go this route.  You may well have to warp out mid-fight to repair (something you don't normally have to do for most L1 missions), so it might take a bit of time, but you should still be able to get it done in time to get the bonus if you're reasonably good at close-range fighting.

2- Run.  None of the gates, (I think), are locked.  I'm pretty sure that the second gate (the one that leads into the final area) is unlocked, anyway.  You can just jump in and make a beeline to the third area, fight the guys there (kind of difficult, but easier than the earlier fights, probably) grab the crew, and run back to turn in the quest.  You'll want afterburners, obviously, and probably some defensive gear (hardeners and repair gear) to ensure that you get to the gate in one piece.
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #38 on: May 03, 2006, 09:11:22 PM

The second part of Worlds Collide is indeed the tough one.  Either path leads you into the center of several groups of ships.   Fighting right off gets me killed or chased off.  What has worked best in the past is heading for the emptiest space I can see, and trying to slag anything between me and it.  Once clear of the base area, I polish off whatever chased me, and then go back to hit the remaining ships.   Remember that if you orbit, it is likely to aggro some other bunch of ships.

The third area is pretty much cake, the last time I did it the oppositionwas all newbie frigates.

Running through the second area needs speed and a good tanlk, but some swear by that method.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 03, 2006, 11:57:10 PM

Exactly as above, the second gate is definetly unlocked, because I completed this one on Sunday.

Just clear the cluster near the gate and warp out. Similarly in the research lab area, just clear the group around the heron, you don't need to kill anything specific to rescue the team, the heron is just a glorified cargo container.

You should be able to complete the whole operation in under 14 minutes, because that's how long I had before the server was shutting doesn for the umpteenth time last weekend.

The trickiest thing about the mission seemed to be that the frigate groups are close together, so if you start orbiting or get too close, you'll probably aggro more than one set at a time.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 04, 2006, 04:37:57 AM

Tjhx all - yeah I tried running both times and *almost* made the second gate.

Conceptual question: are complexes instances?  When you say warp out does that mean I could first rubout out a few, warp back to the station and then return to the complex with no respawning of the hostiles?
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #41 on: May 04, 2006, 06:01:24 AM

Conceptual question: are complexes instances?  When you say warp out does that mean I could first rubout out a few, warp back to the station and then return to the complex with no respawning of the hostiles?

Yup. Although be warned, enemies DO respawn if you take too long, and there are also missions with infinte spawns.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #42 on: May 04, 2006, 06:31:04 AM

When going into combat, always have an out of system destination set.  Then pick a point (I generally go with 50% armor remaining) and when you get down to it, hit Autopilot to warp out ASAP. (remember that you'll have to turn ship and run up to warp before actually escaping) Cut autopilot before you jump.  Recover you shields and armor, and head back to the first gate.  There will be respawns, but you can wear them down if you keep at it.

If you miss the bonus window, consider farming the first area once a day, then completing the mission.  Also, remember that you can keep mission cargo in your hanger, and turn it in when you are ready to end the mission.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 04, 2006, 07:40:09 AM

Ok, so I finally got interested enough to grab a trial for Eve, which I haven't played since (open?) beta.  Doing fairly well at only 36h in - due to pick up my Merlin in about an hour once Frigate 3 rolls up.  About a million in the bank, so money isn't a problem right now.  Problem is that it seems rather dull, so I'm going to toss this out and ask whether I'm missing something.  Seems like the only things to do are:

1) Mine.  Pretty much exactly what you would expect if you were a UO miner.
2) Warp between asteroid fields and look for pirates to pop.
3) Do missions, which are almost all courier.  Click destination, click autopilot, and come back in 10-20 min.  Or keep an eye out whenever you drop out of warp in < 0.5 space incase there are PKs.
   3a) Do a mission where you kill pirates.

I have no illusions about PvP - I'm guessing it would be months before I'd get the skills to pilot a good class of ship somewhat competantly.  While I like how the cost curve keeps most players from "having" to have Titans (like how UO kept people, even most 'pro' PKs using GM gear), it's still a good ways to getting a good Battlecruiser or such.  So what else might be around the corner that I'm missing?

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #44 on: May 04, 2006, 08:05:59 AM

Well, for missions you're using an agent who gives mostly courrier missions. That'd bore anyone to tears.  Try finding a "security" or "internal security" agent.  90% of their missions are of the combat type rather than courrier.. makes life much better.  There's a chart somewhere in these threads that tells you what mission type each agent type gives.

As for the rest, yeah that's about it to EvE.  It's a game that's very much about the people you're not only chatting with, but grouped with.  Solo it can get incredibly boring very fast which is why I usally only last an hour or so online. 

Most of the other guys aren't getting online until 11pm my time or ~1-2pm on the weekends (when I'm busy taking care of the house) so I don't get in on the fun stuff, ever.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
edlavallee
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 04, 2006, 08:10:23 AM

Good questions that I will be looking for some of the more "seasoned" players to respond to.

However, with respect to your #3 and 3a -- these are highly dependant on the type of agents you are talking to. If you are taking to "Distribution" agents, then you will get more courier jobs. If you are talking to "Security" agents then you will get more kill tasks.

Zipper Zee - space noob
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 04, 2006, 09:29:58 AM

Heh, I've only been playing since Feb, not sure if that counts as "seasoned" or not. We have problems with newb pirates (BI) and experienced pirates (UWOF). We're not always fighting guys in T2 gear. Suicide frigates with scramblers are still one of our group battle mainstays.

For me, I guess I'm having fun planning out how I'm going to fit a ship to guard our hemo miners in lowsec when there's a wardec on. That, and figuring out how to make the corp in general stronger so we roll over all opposition.  :-D
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #47 on: May 04, 2006, 09:45:09 AM

I would just like to point out that there are no instances in EVE.  You could very well find someone else in your mission area, but it doesn't happen often for some reason.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 04, 2006, 09:52:08 AM

Roac, there's a way to create your character so you start with racial frig 4. I'd make a new guy, create him with frig 4 for whichever race you picked, then escrow a shitty item for 1 million dollars. (Dock, missions button, escrow)

Then go to your current guy who has a million and claim that escrow. I don't think trial characters can toss money around so that should be a way around it.

Anyways, you're kind of correct in your assement, but you're not really. A year ago I'd say that's perfectly correct.

Here's an idea for things you can do -

Restart a char, get the money transferred. Get that merlin.
Train up rockets to a decent level.
Look up Propulsion Jamming and get the pre-reqs for that and then train Prop Jamming to 1.
Buy a warp scrambler, fit it on your merlin.
Warp from belt to belt looking for people doing missions. When you find someone killing NPCs and there are yellow icon cargo containers to loot, select the guy, hit info and see which ship he's flying. If it's something shitty like a bantam, put him out of his misery.

Click on his picture to see how old he is. If he's more than, say, 2 months old chances are he know's what's up. If he's younger than that, select that yellow icon cargo container again and click 'warp to'. You have to be 150km from the object you want to warp to, so keep that in mind. Maybe warp to the belts at 100k and see what's happening.

As soon as you open that cargo container and steal the shitty loot from it, you'll start flashing red to him. People will do 1 of 3 things.

1) they think that you can attack them and they'll immediately warp away
2) they think that you can attack them, so they lock you and immediately open fire, thinking that they should get the jump on you since you've not locked them yet
3) pause for a few seconds, then warp to a station and get a better ship and come back out and waste you.

You'll have a 15 minute aggression timer to whoever you loot. If he's in a corp, that means you're 'gray' to his whole corp. (this might not be 100% correct - it might have to be a corp member AND ganged at the time you stole from the can - I forget)

As far as PVPing goes, if you can fit a scrambler you can help. Search the market for microwarp drives (MWDs) and look at the pre reqs for that. it takes a lot more than Prop Jamming, but it's doable. That'll make your shitty frig go pretty fast, so you can get to enemies quickly and prevent them from warping away.

I've kinda rambled so I'll end here, but if you want to get to the basics, yeah you can just mine or do missions and that's it. UO at the very basic level was killing monsters or playing dolls in your house. Stuff isn't fun if you don't figure it out.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #49 on: May 04, 2006, 09:59:18 AM

Nija always gives good descriptions, but I think the summary is that you should interact with other people as soon as possible.  Your pals or enemies, doesn't matter.  Even mining ops can be fun in a gang.  You never know when some ninja-looting alt will show up. ;-)

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
edlavallee
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 04, 2006, 11:45:51 AM

Oh Nija, you are now my mentor. Tell me more! This sounds like the palm sweating pulse pounding that i have been looking for...

Warping belt to belt... in <0.5? Where would you find people doing missions where you won't irritate the local constabulatory? Is your suggestion frigates so you don't look too dangerous?

Zipper Zee - space noob
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 04, 2006, 12:21:14 PM

Jita is the place to be. Caldari space is packed. Most places 1-2 hops out from Jita will have 100-200 people in local, with Jit having 400ish most hours of the day.

I like the incursus for this kind of crap. Neutron blasters with as much dmg bonus as you can have. If you can get friendly with some pirates see if anyone well sell you a set of 'mission instas'. So you can warp around to where missions spawn and make it easier. It's not too often you'll find people with missions in belts, but it happens.
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 04, 2006, 01:00:20 PM

Here's another idea for something to do.

Lowsec rat spawns include frigates. As a cruiser pilot, I could use a frigate or two in my gang to take out frigs that slip past my guns. If we get some miners in the gang, we can clear out the belts so the mining can continue unharassed. Normal corp practice is to give guards a share of the ore mined. The corp buy ores and minerals at a pretty good price, so there's always a buyer for your unrefined ore. Getting mining income plus rat bounties means you can clear a lot of isk per hour. Plus, when you do that, it helps the corp.

Join the F13 chat and get yourself in Kor-Azor and say you're available for ratting or guard duty. If I'm on, I'll definitely gang you and we'll blow stuff up.
edlavallee
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 05, 2006, 07:54:36 AM

I am in the Neesher area when I am on and I am always more intestested in helping out than just another agent mission.

Zipper Zee - space noob
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 07, 2006, 04:24:25 AM

Well I did Worlds Collide. Turned out to be pretty easy.

Using a Slasher with an afterburner and shield booster:

gate 1: entered without being fired upon
gate 2: ran for the gate, took about 4 misslies, the booster handled that
gate 3: 20 or so low level fighters that took a few hits each. Was paniced there for a sec till I relzies how crap they were.

I got the same misson from another agent 2 missons later, going to try it again and just ran through the whole thing and not fire anything. 'Corse you miss out on the bounties doing that, but the misson pays 200,000 or so.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 07, 2006, 05:27:52 AM

They aren't instances, but they don't respawn in the same place immeadiately and the sky is really fucking big.

afaik
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 05:29:42 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 07, 2006, 03:23:04 PM

DId it twice again, the first time...I died. Don't take the right hand gate, take the left one! Did it with my Rifter, which is slower than than my dead Slasher. Just run through gates 1 and 2, fight the crappy ships at gate 3 for the bounties.

My first ship loss too.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 07, 2006, 04:09:54 PM

I run through Worlds Collide very easily in a Punisher.

1x Afterburner
1x 100mm Rolled Tungsten Plate
1x Energized Adaptive Nanofiber
1x Small Armor Reparier

Definitely take the left gate at first.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 08, 2006, 03:19:00 AM

I've run World Collide in a Kestrel

Didnt take the Guristas gate!

Had to warp out and repair armour after clearing the other gate

Only had to engage 2 groups in the second stage (the group you warp in on and the group at the exit gate)

Rats in the final stage came at me piecemeail and weren't a problem.
edlavallee
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 08, 2006, 07:04:49 AM

My Kestrel was chum for the sharks (although I have not tried it since I added some skillz). So, on Addryc's suggestion, I bought a Slasher and fitted an AB on it to run shrieking into the night. Completed it with no problems ever since.

And that is the story of how my Slasher came to be named -- Avid Hawk is my Hero.

Zipper Zee

Zipper Zee - space noob
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 11, 2006, 07:45:48 PM

I run through Worlds Collide very easily in a Punisher.

I find I like kill tasks a lot more now that I have a Punisher.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 12, 2006, 03:00:41 AM

I was all worked up and worried about Worlds Collide but it seemed really easy when I did it for the first time last night?  I took the left gate, fought the two that I spawned on top of (was down to about 70% shields), then fought the three or four that were between me and the next gate.  Never really in danger, I felt.

I was in a Merlin, with 2x125mm railguns and 2x standard missile launchers, although one of the former was offline since I had the afterburner online after everyone saying sprinting might be needed.  Shield booster and 100mm armour plating, the latter never needed as it turned out.  Skills are about 20 days' worth, but mainly in learning with level 4 engineering for power, lvl 4 frigate, 3 command, and the rest just 1 & 2 in gunnery, navigation/evasion stuff and missiles.

I think I'd qualify for and take defender missiles next time, since the bulk of the middle section damage seemed to be coming from their missiles.  Not that I've used defenders yet, so I dunno how good they are, but I'd have a shot at clearing the middle room, anyway.

There was a gate to some battle area or something in the last room, wassat?  Back to the middle area?

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 12, 2006, 07:36:19 AM

There was a gate to some battle area or something in the last room, wassat?  Back to the middle area?

Think it takes you right back to the start (the 2 gate choice)
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #63 on: May 12, 2006, 08:10:34 AM

quick noob question:

Learning/stats decreases the time it takes to get through the skill points of a required skill, correct? it doesn't actually *reduce* the skill points of the skill, thus paying later dividends on cheaper clones, etc... My only penalty for not doing learning first is the loss of learning reduction (I.E. time) to the skills I train before it, correct?

Yes, I realize it is a substantial sum, but i've trained level 1 or 2 of critical skills so I can equip the bare minimum (missle launcher operation II, standard missle operation I, etc.) on my ship and start ratting... I just am hoping it doesn't gimp me too bad and wanted to make sure.
edlavallee
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 12, 2006, 08:27:31 AM

Yes, that is my understanding.

Zipper Zee - space noob
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #65 on: May 12, 2006, 08:29:34 AM

Attributes alter the speed at which you gain points for a particular skill, not point totals.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 12, 2006, 08:34:01 AM

Learning/stats decreases the time it takes to get through the skill points of a required skill, correct? it doesn't actually *reduce* the skill points of the skill

I wondered the same thing, and looked at the points to level 3 of two level two, rank 1 skills with different attributes at dramatically different levels on my toon (social and afterburner).  Both were at 1415 and needed 8000 for the next level.  Ergo the attributes must act as a multiplier to point accrual.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #67 on: May 13, 2006, 08:35:40 AM

That's correct.  It's also a "Diminishing Returns" situation, going from 20 to 21 doesn't make as much of a difference as going 10 to 11, so over the long haul you can't gimp yourself too badly no matter how you assign your points at character creation.  That being said, when you get into the late game a few percentage points of skill point gain speed can make a difference of days on the incredibly high-multiplier skills you need for Dreadnoughts and up, so a low Perception or Willpower will become annoying (but not crippling).  And low Int/Memory is equally annoying for the capital ship supporting skills.  On the plus side, the cost of +4 and +5  implants has come way down lately.

There are no really high-multiplier Trade skills, so even if you're wanting to build those up the mid-teens is as much as you need.

--Dave (Tycoon Level 3)

--Signature Unclear
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 19, 2006, 12:51:56 PM

That's correct.  It's also a "Diminishing Returns" situation, going from 20 to 21 doesn't make as much of a difference as going 10 to 11, so over the long haul you can't gimp yourself too badly no matter how you assign your points at character creation.  That being said, when you get into the late game a few percentage points of skill point gain speed can make a difference of days on the incredibly high-multiplier skills you need for Dreadnoughts and up, so a low Perception or Willpower will become annoying (but not crippling).  And low Int/Memory is equally annoying for the capital ship supporting skills.  On the plus side, the cost of +4 and +5  implants has come way down lately.

There are no really high-multiplier Trade skills, so even if you're wanting to build those up the mid-teens is as much as you need.

--Dave (Tycoon Level 3)

Wasn't MahrinSkel an SC drone? :)
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 19, 2006, 04:01:15 PM

Wasn't MahrinSkel an SC drone? :)
I've been wondering for quite some time. Now I remember where I heard that name before.

Thank you. :-D

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: More noob EVE questions  
Jump to: