Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 08:51:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun  (Read 135156 times)
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: June 03, 2010, 05:20:14 PM

Whole process is awkward. At least Oblivion allowed you to do it from the map.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #281 on: June 03, 2010, 11:33:56 PM

If anything the roads are a little too crowded with other people at times.

I actually agree with you there. It's like there are only a very few places to be or go, yet the roads have an incredible number of people on them. I dunno, something just feels a bit off about the game to me, things like the endless waves of "gang members" whenever you do a bounty mission just seem not quite right. I don't have the answers, mind you, but it feels like they didn't get the population/population centre balance quite right. Kinda like a game trying to be a world and not quite magaging to do either that well.

I didn't know you could set waypoints, I thought you could only fast travel to the few preset ones from the (yes I agree the whole process is awkward) menu-process campfire options.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #282 on: June 04, 2010, 02:55:53 AM

Whole process is awkward. At least Oblivion allowed you to do it from the map.

There were certainly some aspects to it that annoyed me, in particular the restrictions as to where you can set up a campsite (not in town, hideouts, uneven ground, or next to roads or water).  I understand realistically and technically why I wouldn't be able to set up a camp in the middle of town or on a road, but then fast-travel shouldn't have been connected to the campsite.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #283 on: June 04, 2010, 07:03:19 AM

Well, at least the writing and dialogue are overall quite good (for a videogame), and the main character isn't an unlikable giant douche (like most of these GTA-and-alike protagonists) are.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: June 04, 2010, 08:14:27 AM

Ride 5mins to get to mission start NPC.

Or you could just insta-travel there from the campfire.

It took me a while before I realized that if I had a waypoint set I could insta-travel there from anywhere.

Oh?  I'm slow on the uptake, apparently.

Multiplayer also or just single player?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: June 04, 2010, 08:17:49 AM

I think I have only twice used the stagecoach (the only form of insta - travel I was even aware of), and I wouldn't really want it any other way.  Half the fun of this game is simply wandering throught the (gorgeous) wastelands and encountering all the random wildlife and events.  I may only be about 12 hours in, but travel hasn't even become remotely old as far as I'm concerned.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #286 on: June 04, 2010, 10:53:57 AM

It took me a while before I realized that if I had a waypoint set I could insta-travel there from anywhere.

Not sure, I haven't gotten around to trying multiplayer yet. In single player if you have a waypoint set it just shows up with the other options at your campsite - this seems to be the only way you can fast travel between regions.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: June 04, 2010, 10:58:10 AM

You can fast travel from towns in Multiplayer but everything in between is a ride.

Keep in mind the world in Multiplayer is also completely empty. Good for exploring to see the scenery and what things look like as a pure environment, but otherwise empty.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: June 04, 2010, 11:05:02 AM

Multiplayer you can warp to waypoint as well, from travel hubs.

My main complaint in MP is how far you can wind up from said travel hubs.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: June 04, 2010, 11:06:21 AM

Ride, postman!

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #290 on: June 04, 2010, 11:43:14 AM

Multiplayer you can warp to waypoint as well, from travel hubs.

Grab a carriage, run over your friends. Enjoy the moment!
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: June 04, 2010, 11:50:27 AM

"If you're a parent and buy one of our games for your child you're a terrible parent. We design games for adults because we're adults." (Lazlow, RDR dev)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_10130000/newsid_10136300/10136311.stm

I like this.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: June 04, 2010, 12:04:00 PM

Each of our open world games has up to 1000 characters walking around and you need to make personalities, names and pages of dialogue for all those people.

Bullshit.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #293 on: June 04, 2010, 02:20:15 PM

Good call.  awesome, for real

edit - wow, Lazlow comes off like an utter tool there, as though he's the guy running Rockstar when I'm pretty sure his role is closer to Audio/Talent than the head of Game Design and HR.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:23:22 PM by Azazel »

squirrel
Contributor

Reply #294 on: June 04, 2010, 07:48:51 PM

Huh. Me too. I just tried that and it makes some things much easier. TYVM.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: June 04, 2010, 08:11:49 PM

Each of our open world games has up to 1000 characters walking around and you need to make personalities, names and pages of dialogue for all those people.

Bullshit.

Generic characters still need concept material.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: June 04, 2010, 08:19:52 PM

Granted, but what he implied by that and what actually appeared in the game are two different things. Red Dead did a good job of creating more than just filler NPCs, but I think there were, at most, 100 uniques. Multiplayer skins and VOs don't count.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: June 05, 2010, 04:59:42 PM

Noob question here, and sorry if it's been asked and answered pages ago: For the Survivalist and Hunting challenges, can I sell the shit I have to collect before I complete that particular challenge, or do I need to hold, for example, 5 boar tusks and 3 armadillo carapaces at the same time to get credit?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #298 on: June 05, 2010, 05:18:08 PM

At the same time, and only ones you gather after you get the challenge count.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: June 05, 2010, 05:44:16 PM

edit - wow, Lazlow comes off like an utter tool there, as though he's the guy running Rockstar when I'm pretty sure his role is closer to Audio/Talent than the head of Game Design and HR.

Is that the same Lazlow that was involved with 2600? He said on off the hook his only involvement with the games was just for audio stations for the stations in vice city (circa the time I heard the show)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: June 05, 2010, 07:42:31 PM

At the same time, and only ones you gather after you get the challenge count.
Alright, that's what I figured. I knew that previous ones didn't work, just wasn't sure if I had to keep them until I completed it or not.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #301 on: June 05, 2010, 08:56:41 PM

Is that the same Lazlow that was involved with 2600? He said on off the hook his only involvement with the games was just for audio stations for the stations in vice city (circa the time I heard the show)

Yes. But now, it's pretty clear that he runs Rockstar on every level.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: June 06, 2010, 09:27:06 AM

I am a terrible parent.  I let my daughter play (she's 11.5 and is horse crazy). 

Maybe I'm not a terrible parent; I didn't buy it for my kids.

No GTA in this house, though.  Not even remotely interested in traveling down that path.

One thing that doesn't make sense to me about Rockstar Games is why limit their product so much by making the titles adult-only?  Some of the dialog is a little rough, and some of the situations are too.  The story and quests don't make the game for me; they are merely side notes and don't even really add much particularly to the flavor.  It seems to me that it takes more talent, not less, to make an interesting movie/book/game that appeals to all ages than to throw gratuitous nasty shit in there for the M rating.  Does it make the product more marketable to be M?  Maybe I'm just old or jaded, but I don't find much of it particularly compelling or innovative or that it adds much to the game or story.

I have no objection whatsoever to Rockstar making whatever sort of games they want; I'll buy the ones that appeal to me and forgo the ones that don't. 

What makes this game compelling to me is the gameplay, the music, the graphics (yes, I guess I like brown).  I'm still not even half through the storyline; it's ok and I want to find out what happens, but it's not fascinating to me and a lot of it does seem gratuitous or poorly written or whatever.  Is there a single unfuckedup side quest in the whole thing?

I've spent most of my time in multiplayer, where there is no story.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #303 on: June 06, 2010, 09:37:42 AM

Most of the side quests just seem to peter out, no real conclusion or climax to them. Maybe it's art imitating life, or maybe it's just lazy writing. "American Appetites" and the unknown Stranger stand out particularly.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: June 06, 2010, 02:18:22 PM

I am a terrible parent.  I let my daughter play (she's 11.5 and is horse crazy). 

No GTA in this house, though.  Not even remotely interested in traveling down that path.

One thing that doesn't make sense to me about Rockstar Games is why limit their product so much by making the titles adult-only?  Some of the dialog is a little rough, and some of the situations are too.  The story and quests don't make the game for me; they are merely side notes and don't even really add much particularly to the flavor.  It seems to me that it takes more talent, not less, to make an interesting movie/book/game that appeals to all ages than to throw gratuitous nasty shit in there for the M rating.  Does it make the product more marketable to be M?  Maybe I'm just old or jaded, but I don't find much of it particularly compelling or innovative or that it adds much to the game or story.

I have no objection whatsoever to Rockstar making whatever sort of games they want; I'll buy the ones that appeal to me and forgo the ones that don't. 

What makes this game compelling to me is the gameplay, the music, the graphics (yes, I guess I like brown).  I'm still not even half through the storyline; it's ok and I want to find out what happens, but it's not fascinating to me and a lot of it does seem gratuitous or poorly written or whatever.  Is there a single unfuckedup side quest in the whole thing?

Just so you know (if you didn't), Red Dead Redemption has the odd use of the F word and C word.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: June 06, 2010, 05:51:56 PM

Holy SHIT the end of this game.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: June 06, 2010, 06:40:26 PM

Just so you know (if you didn't), Red Dead Redemption has the odd use of the F word and C word.

Plus some nudity/sex at one point.
Most of the side quests just seem to peter out, no real conclusion or climax to them. Maybe it's art imitating life, or maybe it's just lazy writing. "American Appetites" and the unknown Stranger stand out particularly.

Did you do all 3 stages of American Appetites?

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: June 06, 2010, 07:15:50 PM

Finished the game today, ending was  ACK!

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #308 on: June 07, 2010, 12:16:43 AM

One thing that doesn't make sense to me about Rockstar Games is why limit their product so much by making the titles adult-only?  Some of the dialog is a little rough, and some of the situations are too.  The story and quests don't make the game for me; they are merely side notes and don't even really add much particularly to the flavor.  It seems to me that it takes more talent, not less, to make an interesting movie/book/game that appeals to all ages than to throw gratuitous nasty shit in there for the M rating.  Does it make the product more marketable to be M? 

Yes.
Teenagers especially, but also those in their low-twenties love media that has some swearing in it. It feels a bit naughty, a bit rebellious, and a bit like they're getting away with something. Who do you think buys Rap Music?

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #309 on: June 07, 2010, 12:18:50 AM

Did you do all 3 stages of American Appetites?

I think I did.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: June 07, 2010, 06:00:22 AM

I think that was the end of it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: June 07, 2010, 06:30:09 AM

Finished the game today, ending was  ACK!

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: June 07, 2010, 06:37:01 AM

If you read the newspaper, you'll see where she gets married.  The newspapers are full of cool / funny stuff.  
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:38:49 AM by SnakeCharmer »
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #313 on: June 12, 2010, 02:21:10 AM

Yahtzee

Pretty accurate, I thought.
 awesome, for real

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #314 on: June 12, 2010, 02:55:20 AM

Yahtzee

Pretty accurate, I thought.
 awesome, for real

Saw that earlier.  Looks like he had a lot more problems with bugs than I did.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun  
Jump to: