Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:52:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Tom Clancy's The Division 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tom Clancy's The Division  (Read 149642 times)
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: July 28, 2013, 10:46:47 AM

If you had an effective/harsh anti-pk mechanism, then the griefers would just wait until you cast an AOE on mobs and jump into it.  Boom- harsh penalties on the PvEers!  The griefers have always and will always win in any pvp setting. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: July 28, 2013, 10:54:54 AM

1) Allow one account per IP. 
2) All characters on that account have the same surname. 

I'm always a bit leery of IP based solutions.  It causes problems for legitimate users (e.g. family members who want to play together) while still being generally avoidable for people who are willing to put in a bit of effort.  There are probably half a dozen different public or unsecured networks in a three block radius from here I could use for setting up dummy accounts.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: July 28, 2013, 05:39:39 PM

Not to mention this means 1 account per university in most cases.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: July 28, 2013, 06:48:43 PM

No matter what mechanical system you put in place, people will find a way to abuse it.  The only thing that can really police it well is heavy moderation, and no company is going to hire the man power needed to actually kick/ban griefers.  A heavily modderated DayZ server is probably the best you can hope for.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 29, 2013, 12:17:27 AM

If you ever come up with a way to do this that isn't defeated by logging out and playing an alt, let me know.

I did a few years back and posted it on these forums. 

1) Allow one account per IP. 
2) All characters on that account have the same surname. 

It's not perfect from a business standpoint, but it would minimize the alt account griefers.

Did you propose this before the 100's of cheap proxy services made a 1 account per ip unenforceable.

Also if you are allowing multiple characters per account are you going to punish every char on the account? Or hope the players are going to provide the mythical player justice? Maybe you pk with 1 char all the chars on your account go red?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: July 29, 2013, 07:43:38 AM

You guys are like the fucking GOP.  You ask for an idea and then bitch about it.  If you have a better idea, I'm all ears. 

I think the best you can hope for is a surname per account.  It won't limit multiple accounts, but it will limit the ability to use mules for griefing.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #111 on: July 29, 2013, 07:59:40 AM

The problem with many open PvP games so far is that there's really no consequence whatsoever in being a douche, especially when being killed means nothing to you, but means a lot to those you are hunting down. I think it would add a lot in some sandboxy PvP games if people still had the option to be mean wolves, but had to face harsh consequences for that from time to time (and if you go to jail, your victim gets his/her stuff back, courtesy of the local police).

If you ever come up with a way to do this that isn't defeated by logging out and playing an alt, let me know.

All your ALTs are debuffed (account-wide) while one of your other characters is in jail. You can still play the game (with other characters) but you suffer a penalty. It could be a family penalty, as in Nebu's idea, or a morale/angst debuff as one of your friends got caught. Severity of the debuff varying depending how many of your alts are serving time. Point is, even if you log out and jump to your second best character who is still max level, max gear, etc etc, the debuff would make it about one level lower than he/she/it is. Does not prevent you from playing but affects you greatly. Think about it next time.

PKing should be a valid playstyle and I also think it should have rewards (stealing victim's stuff is just one idea), but it should have serious consequences when it goes wrong.

EDIT:

If you had an effective/harsh anti-pk mechanism, then the griefers would just wait until you cast an AOE on mobs and jump into it.  Boom- harsh penalties on the PvEers!  The griefers have always and will always win in any pvp setting.  

TERA solved that as everyone has a PvP switch. This idea has been explored before, but somehow they got it right so please read on. Basically, to attack people you have to turn on your PvP switch. That makes EVERY other player red to you which means your attacks will hit mobs AND players alike. This allows you to be a Player Killer. But if the switch is off (default) you cannot hurt other plauers. So basically, the switch is NOT meant to protect yourself from being harmed, it is meant to prevent you from harming other players accidentally. There is really no way you could hurt an innocent player, and at the same time everyone can attack you at any time if they want to (by flipping their own switch). Also, when you flip your own switch you turn red, so everyone can see you are out to kill. It's very simple but it works perfectly. Sadly, TERA has no rewards nor penalties for open PvP, so the whole thing is a wasted in that game.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:13:06 AM by Falconeer »

disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: August 20, 2013, 05:20:32 AM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: August 20, 2013, 07:02:06 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #114 on: August 20, 2013, 09:19:03 AM

Excellent.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: August 21, 2013, 03:01:56 PM

yay!  PC!

*Should be working*
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #116 on: August 21, 2013, 08:16:45 PM

Now I'm definitely in.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #117 on: August 21, 2013, 08:23:59 PM

I can safely go back to not giving a fuck about next-gen consoles for now then.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: August 22, 2013, 06:05:33 PM

Hotness right there.
Fuck yea!

Now I'm definitely in.
And here.

I can safely go back to not giving a fuck about next-gen consoles for now then.
And here too!
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: August 28, 2013, 12:20:49 PM

You people are actually attempting to play this? Disappointed in all of you.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #120 on: August 28, 2013, 01:37:00 PM

You people are actually attempting to play this? Disappointed in all of you.

Or we've watched a couple videos about it and are interested to see how it turns out. It's not out for another year at least so I don't think anyone is putting down money on a preorder right now.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: January 19, 2016, 12:08:44 PM

Tom Clancy's The Division is going into beta in about 10 days.

It's a cover based MMO, kinda a Destiny in NYC.  It's on the PS4/Xbox One and PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0kaj-eqqsE&feature=youtu.be Series of 4 video that leads you to http://ubi.li/e9v3u (For US people who don't have a package for these outfits)

Some gameplay videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSmqGGJy7UY

I'm going to reserve judgement and pre-ordering until after the Beta. The 2013 reveal video made it look awesome, lots of stuff has been scaled down and the graphics might not be as good as the teaser, I'm just hoping it's not another Watchdogs.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:11:04 PM by Furiously »

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #122 on: January 19, 2016, 12:46:06 PM

I too am waiting for the beta. The dark zone tear harvests may be glorious though.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #123 on: January 19, 2016, 12:46:56 PM

We have a thread for this, you lazy bastards.

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #124 on: January 19, 2016, 01:01:25 PM

I'll wait till I hear more first before getting excited about this. Signed up for beta for PS4 and hope they are letting everyone in for stress testing ah la Star Wars BF. I was all gungho for that, and it turned out to be shallower than most of the girls I have dated.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: January 19, 2016, 02:47:08 PM

I am turned off by the idea of human bullet sponges. Not that I expect realism, but when the setting is pretty much contemporary and weapons are those of our time, having to shoot a human "boss" with three other players for more than 5 seconds just doesn't feel right.

That said, I am definitely curious and interested. I have been frothing over this for two years and it's only now that we finally learnt more about it that I noticed this incongruence.

schild
Administrator

Reply #126 on: January 19, 2016, 03:27:59 PM

Wasn't this announced the first E3 where they unveiled the PS4?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #127 on: January 19, 2016, 04:05:57 PM

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=23335.0

Yep.  You are correct, sir. 2 and a half years ago.  
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 04:09:04 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #128 on: January 19, 2016, 04:15:06 PM

merge bump
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: January 19, 2016, 05:18:03 PM

Wasn't this announced the first E3 where they unveiled the PS4?

I have fond memories of that... the game held such promise. I am very interested how much they dumped out of the game... going by the few videos I have watched recently, A LOT. This will either be an ok shooter or generic shooter with NYC backdrop. I'm betting the latter.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: January 19, 2016, 11:12:28 PM

This game is like some unholy joining of memes. Military masturbation with 50 dkp minus.

edit: or maybe just a mundane Hellgate London with more guns and a boring setting.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:14:52 PM by jakonovski »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: January 20, 2016, 06:03:33 AM

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #132 on: January 20, 2016, 06:04:45 AM

This reeks of a project nearly killed by feature creep, that has since been gutted and redesigned and bulldozed into release because of sunk cost fallacy.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: January 20, 2016, 06:07:15 AM

This reeks of a project nearly killed by feature creep, that has since been gutted and redesigned and bulldozed into release because of sunk cost fallacy.
This sounds like every MMO with a budget of more than $10 million.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: January 20, 2016, 07:05:24 AM

You know, the thng that looks the closest to this gameplay (and feature) wise is Defiance. Let me rephrase it. The Division looks scarily and terribly like Defiance. Which wasn't even a terrible game. Just one that had the longevity and he substance of a frappuchino.

Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: January 20, 2016, 10:51:48 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6kehLgXdY

Comparison of current vs 2013 E3. Meh...

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #136 on: January 20, 2016, 02:03:44 PM

I think I was interested in this initially, but this has become such a non-game that I don't even know what it is anymore.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: January 20, 2016, 02:39:21 PM

I think I was interested in this initially, but this has become such a non-game that I don't even know what it is anymore.

Hipster shooter.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #138 on: January 20, 2016, 02:44:13 PM

My hopes for this have indeed been diminished but I'll still give it a go for a little while. At the very least, I'll get a couple of Radicalthon entires out of it.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: January 21, 2016, 12:20:55 PM

My hopes for this have indeed been diminished but I'll still give it a go for a little while. At the very least, I'll get a couple of Radicalthon entires out of it.

I have managed to find some fun in Destiny, I am sure I can do the same thing with this.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Tom Clancy's The Division  
Jump to: