Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 12:48:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Cat thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 66 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cat thread  (Read 582318 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #560 on: January 03, 2010, 06:29:03 PM

I'm sorry.   Heartbreak  I hope that's not what it is and everything turns out okay. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #561 on: January 03, 2010, 07:18:12 PM

What is FIP? Feline something something?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #562 on: January 03, 2010, 09:03:40 PM

Feline something something is about right. Feline Infectious? ... Psomething. But basically it's a mutation of a different virus and there's not anything you can do about it except treat the symptoms while you wait for the poor kitty to pass on.

At least it isn't contagious or something. Bleh.

God Save the Horn Players
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #563 on: January 03, 2010, 09:07:26 PM

Feline Infectious Peritonitis.  Believed to be caused by a mutation of a benign/symbiotic intestinal bacteria into a lethal form.  Inevitably fatal, although steroids and interferon can delay the acceleration of symptoms and gain some life expectancy.  In spite of the name, not considered contagious (mutated form of the virus is not expelled from the body until the very last stages).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #564 on: January 03, 2010, 09:38:45 PM

Blech. I'm sorry :/

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #565 on: January 04, 2010, 07:21:53 AM

Gilly is sick again and it seems pretty likely it's FIP. It's pretty depressing, she's only 9 months old. :(

I remember awhile back my Mom wanted to get me a cat, but being the overly caring person she was, she ended up with a litter of 6 that was supposed to be put down because no one would take them. Over the course of 4 - 6 weeks they started getting sick, took them to the vet and the vet only gave 1 shot, said the rest were fine. Within a week all but the one that got the shot was dead. Not nice either, we would wake up to another kitten literally stuck to the tile floor.

I'd say do what you can to keep the cat alive as long as it isn't prolonging pain.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #566 on: January 04, 2010, 08:54:55 AM

Bart likes to hang out on the rug in front of the fire.

If not hanging out on the rug, he can be found nearby...

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #567 on: January 04, 2010, 11:01:05 AM

Took Gilly to the vet again today to get some fluids injected, she's gained back a little weight (she had dropped half a pound in a week) and she is gorging herself on dry food suddenly, so if nothing else she is feeling better. We have some test results coming back today, hopefully the news isn't too terrible. Bitch of it is that the dry form of FIP (wet form builds up fluids) is really hard to diagnose concretely. Whee!

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #568 on: January 04, 2010, 11:27:47 AM

I know.  There's no good tests for some of this stuff, is there?  I'll cross my fingers and anything else I can still cross that everything is okay for you guys.   Heart Heart Heart

Also, I've decided that Magenta and Bart are related.  They're very nearly the same cat!  (except I think Magenta is the tiny, female version of Bart)  Both my cats, especially Lister, have become very affectionate towards the fireplace, too.  Giant Lister curls up on the hearth rug and looks like a medium size dog. 

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: January 04, 2010, 11:38:33 AM

Signe's avatar is really distracting.

How many of you have pet insurance? ShelterCare is offering me a pretty good deal of $3000 per incident and $36000 lifetime coverage for a decent monthly rate ($20 I think). My cats are pretty happy and healthy though Gilly's story is depressing.

Petra's found her place as a princess who mews warmly for attention and petting, and Mesa's a homewrecker who seems intent to destroy my HDTV with his claws, but the two of them get along great both in play and in relaxing with each other.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #570 on: January 04, 2010, 11:40:49 AM

After this whole business with Gilly, I wish we had it. It has been expensive.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: January 04, 2010, 12:33:42 PM

Anyone have the problem of a cat peeing on the floor? The odd part is, he never did this before, its only since we moved into the new apartment. He has two spots he does this in, I have already scolded him a few times. But he continues to do this while we are out. This has already cost me some nights sleep and a 150$ steam cleaning vac.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #572 on: January 04, 2010, 12:37:05 PM

Anyone have the problem of a cat peeing on the floor? The odd part is, he never did this before, its only since we moved into the new apartment. He has two spots he does this in, I have already scolded him a few times. But he continues to do this while we are out. This has already cost me some nights sleep and a 150$ steam cleaning vac.

Likely some other cat peed there before (a prior renter) and he's trying to mark it as his own.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: January 04, 2010, 12:42:58 PM

Yeah, I figured this. One spot is directly in front of the door, the other is in front of one of the room doors.

I am open to suggestions on how to get him to stop, so I dont have to steam clean every weekend.

Forgot to mention, we have started using Feliway.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:52:35 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #574 on: January 04, 2010, 01:15:08 PM

I think the name of the 'enzyme cleaner' I use is Nature's Miracle Advanced or some such. Gallon jug or spray bottle from Petsmart. My roommates cat developed a bladder infection and peed in a couple places, then all the other cats followed suit. Spray lots on/around the spot, put an inverted rubbermaid tub over it to keep the cats away, let it soak overnight, wet-dry vac it, and let it dry. Has worked on both spots for a couple months now.

Dunno the actual name as I put what was left of the gallon into a generic spray bottle.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #575 on: January 04, 2010, 03:05:18 PM

I have pet insurance through the ASPCA.  It's not the best out there but it helps support the place where I got Lister.  It paid about three quarters of the operation Magenta had last year and it covers a few annual thingies.  If anything big happens, it covers $3500 per incident - I forget how much per year.  I took the coverage that was smack in the middle of almost nothing and way too expensive.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #576 on: January 04, 2010, 05:36:48 PM

Whelp, the vet just called and he feels about as confident as he can given some test results that came in today that it is indeed FIP. This sucks. :(

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #577 on: January 04, 2010, 06:01:19 PM

I adopted a cat once, name him Duncan... anyway, Duncan got pissed at us for something, like we left town for the weekend maybe, so he shit in the house.  Out he goes for about a week.  We let him back in and the first thing he does - I mean like he was WAITING for it - was to drop a wet pile of shit behind my computer desk.  My diagnosis, Bloodworth, is that you cat is angry at you.

Duncan moved in with a neighbor family.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #578 on: January 04, 2010, 06:49:47 PM

Duncan was just telling you that you aren't the boss of him!

Ingmar's sister had a cat (his parents have it now) who would poop on her bed when she displeased him.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #579 on: January 05, 2010, 08:08:23 AM

This is the Cat Thread, dummies.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #580 on: January 05, 2010, 10:05:15 AM

Removed the other stuff. Topics. We have them for a reason.

Also, Oscar's latest fascination seems to involve taking pieces of paper, crumpling them up, playing with them a while, and putting them in my boots.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:38:59 AM by rattran »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: January 05, 2010, 11:36:22 AM

Topics. We have them for a reason.
Could've at least moved the sweater link to T&A :)

Also, on-topic conversation  why so serious?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: January 11, 2010, 07:22:14 AM

I told the boy to get his kicks with the xmas stuff, it all came down this weekend. I like the way the gold paper and the rim of iris work together.

I call this one Long Arm of the Paw:

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: January 11, 2010, 10:27:34 AM

So, I've regalled Ingmar and Sjofn with stories of what our youngest, Bella, likes to eat. (Spoiler: Everything)

However, this is probably the most amusing thing we've come home to:

That's a nice sized avacado there, so it wasn't just one bite. Someone went to town on that avacado.

beer geek.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #584 on: January 11, 2010, 10:48:47 AM

Nom nom nom.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: January 11, 2010, 10:49:25 AM

I have a new ragdoll kitten that loves honeydew melon.  I'll have to get some pictures of her.  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #586 on: January 11, 2010, 12:54:22 PM

Wow, my cat won't even eat canned fish, I can't imagine her going near any sort of non-meat food. The only non-catfood things I've ever seen her eat are Tuna sashimi and KFC.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #587 on: January 11, 2010, 01:03:25 PM

My maine coon mix eats veggies.  He'll fish green beens out of can.  He even eats baby food peas, which my son will not do.  The wet food we give our cats now is turky and vegtables, and he's done well before the other 2.

My recently deceased cat (looked remarkably like the white cat Signe posted) was a carb fiend.  He loved nothing more than stealing a piece of tortilla.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: January 11, 2010, 01:07:22 PM

My cat eats his dry noms. And lint, wood, insects, hair, tinsel, and dental floss. Found that last one in his poop.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:09:48 PM by Sky »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #589 on: January 11, 2010, 01:09:31 PM

My cat doesn't eat veggies, but needs to have them "anyways", since the dog likes them, and the cat feels left out.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I love maine coons.. Any dog and cat with big coats like that. I've never had one though. Feel like kidnapping a friend's cat though.

[edit] I hate the word "noms" as a noun. lol, in Thai it means tits.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: January 11, 2010, 01:30:14 PM

[edit] I hate the word "noms" as a noun. lol, in Thai it means tits.

Then why hate?  awesome, for real
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #591 on: January 11, 2010, 02:23:37 PM

Magenta goes nuts when I cut melon (especially watermelon) and apples.  Lister wants meat, meat and more meat.  Especially very stinky tinned mackerel in gravy.  At $30 a case, he has champagne taste buds.   ACK!

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: January 11, 2010, 02:29:31 PM

Might explain why my cats get all inquisitive and crazy whenever I bring food into the house. They have only experienced dry catfood so far.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #593 on: January 11, 2010, 05:10:23 PM

Gilly wants to at least TRY anything she sees us putting in our mouths, basically. She seems to especially wish I would let her eat pizza (she has run off with crusts a couple of times). I could tell her medicine was making her feel better because she's started climbing all over me whenever I am eating ANYTHING again. Lizzie is slightly more controlled, but if I'm eating, say, a tuna sandwich, all bets are off with her too.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #594 on: January 11, 2010, 05:37:01 PM

My maine coon mix eats veggies.

Is your cat giant?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 66 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Cat thread  
Jump to: