Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:16:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1207366 times)
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3150 on: April 06, 2014, 09:06:07 PM

Except I'm not trying to opt out of the intended changes; my text doesn't look like it does in their example picture.
Do you use the no script FF plugin?  If so check it's options and enable @font-face.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3151 on: April 08, 2014, 02:23:03 PM

Except I'm not trying to opt out of the intended changes; my text doesn't look like it does in their example picture.
Do you use the no script FF plugin?  If so check it's options and enable @font-face.
This fixed it, thanks a lot.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3152 on: April 13, 2014, 02:00:52 PM

I've needed a password manager for awhile and after this week it's obviously overdue.  I'm looking at Lastpass and Keepass, should I be looking at any others? 

Initial overview of Lastpass seems to yield a few issues with security.  Being tied to the web seems to defeat the purpose of a manager.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3153 on: April 13, 2014, 03:33:49 PM

I like Password Safe.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3154 on: April 13, 2014, 05:58:19 PM

I use 1Password on PC, Mac, and iOS sync'd with Dropbox.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3155 on: April 13, 2014, 09:20:56 PM

This seems to be a fairly handy feature of lastpass:
http://lifehacker.com/lastpass-now-tells-you-which-heartbleed-affected-passwo-1561522244

I guess the upside of an online manager is it is easier for them to notify you of stuff.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3156 on: April 14, 2014, 08:29:28 AM

I use 1Password on PC, Mac, and iOS sync'd with Dropbox.

What changed your mind about running Dropbox?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3157 on: April 14, 2014, 09:39:33 AM

Convenience. Also I only use Dropbox for 1Password which encrypts the 1Password data file before writing to disk so I don't have to worry about Dropbox giving my passwords to whomever it pleases.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3158 on: April 27, 2014, 02:37:24 PM

Anyone know why this file (below) would get put into my registry whenever I run a specific program?

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.2

Tried looking on Google, but all it said was that it might be associated with a trojan.  I've used CCcleaner, Malwarebytes, and superantispiware professional and they all find nothing but this bad registry error.  Hijack this says that it's a scary file, but I can't seem to figure out why a clean file keeps creating it.

Thanks.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3159 on: April 27, 2014, 03:20:56 PM

What program is adding that to the registry?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3160 on: April 27, 2014, 04:26:38 PM

What program is adding that to the registry?

It happens when I mod WoT with XVM.  The xvm file isn't corrupted, so I don't know why the registry is being created.  All I know is that as soon as it shows up in my registry, I can no longer access the XVM site and the mod crashes my game.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3161 on: April 27, 2014, 07:37:01 PM

You could make a batch file that clears the key.  Now that doesn't answer why it happens, which you probably want to solve in the long run, but to avoid having to hand-edit it all the time:

@echo off
REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.2

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3162 on: April 28, 2014, 05:08:36 AM

CCCleaner takes care of the file.  I'm more interested in the reasons behind why such a file would have been generated in the first place. 

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3163 on: April 29, 2014, 07:02:08 AM

Registry entries aren't files.  They're lines that Windows, and unfortunately other programs, use for all kinds of information.  If permissions aren't locked down, they're as easy to add or change as that one line I posted.

Because of that, and terrible programming practices, people stick all kinds of shit in the registry that shouldn't go there.

(I really, really want the Windows registry to go away.  I wouldn't mind a master file that lets you know where to find settings, but it should be a reference and not a control.)

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3164 on: April 29, 2014, 09:26:51 AM

Thanks Lantyssa.  I need to be more careful with the terms that I use. 

I'm just interested in finding the source.  I think I've solved the issue but would like to better understand the process by which it occurred in the first place.  I've been reading a lot of tech support forums over the past week and it's shown me that there are a lot of similar issues out there with no real solution... it's a world of work-arounds.

The whole thing makes me glad that I'm not in the programming/coding world.  What a mess.   

-  Mark Twain
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3165 on: April 29, 2014, 10:26:05 AM

I am pretty sure there are ways to audit what is being written to the registry by what program when it is done, but as far as I know it is not straight forward.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3166 on: April 29, 2014, 10:29:39 AM

I am pretty sure there are ways to audit what is being written to the registry by what program when it is done, but as far as I know it is not straight forward.

While it may not be related to the issue I'm having, I've been trying to learn more about python logs for this reason.  I'm hoping to better understand the process behind how things work or at least the order or operation.  This stuff is pretty fascinating.

-  Mark Twain
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3167 on: May 08, 2014, 12:21:40 PM

What's a decent anti-virus replacement for MS Essentials on old and bust XP systems? Both my father and sister are still on XP and are unlikely to get a newer version of windows any time soon.

Also, are any of those parental control programs actually worth a damn at all? Apparently my nephew is googling naughty things already  why so serious? .

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3168 on: May 08, 2014, 02:29:17 PM

MS is still going to release definition updates for MSE on XP until July 2015.

Malwarebytes is pretty good and if you pay for the full version it will do active scanning.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3169 on: May 12, 2014, 10:50:47 AM

I need new headphones.  My shitty steelseries ones are starting to completely die now.  Previously, I could get them to work by wiggling them a bit in the socket, but now they're just completely fading out.  My other standbys are complete ear rape and I dislike using earbuds for an extended period of time.

I've had the Logitech G35's recommended to me by a couple people.  I mostly just care about comfort and the option to use a semi-decent mic. I don't talk much on voice coms in games (my house has thin walls and my voice carries well), so that's not super important quality wise.  Sound quality isn't something I need to pay a premium for, as I'm not much of an audiophile.

Any other suggestions?

-Rasix
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3170 on: May 12, 2014, 11:54:55 AM

These are slightly above the price point of what I would consider "cheap" I have not tried them but I am tempted:
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Stereo-Headset-Playstation-3/dp/B0053OLY9O/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i

Generally whenever I buy Sony headphones my expectations are exceeded, of course when I do buy Sony headphones my expectations are not in the "omfg these are gonna be awesome" range.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3171 on: May 12, 2014, 12:05:42 PM

I like my terribly named (G4ME) Sennheiser headset.  I don't think I'd buy them again however as they cost too much, I bought them at the time because they were one of the first headsets to cover the entire ear which was a huge step up for comfort.  That logitech set looks like it would do the same thing for less money.  I don't trust usb based sound and think the fake leather padding would be sticky and uncomfortable though.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3172 on: May 12, 2014, 01:13:27 PM

If you are looking for headphones without a mic, the MDR-7506 by Sony is still one of the best you can buy. The cheaper MDR-V6 are also decent but they are not quite the same build quality (I use them at work) as the 7506.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3173 on: May 12, 2014, 02:25:24 PM

I use the G35 too. I have an older model Corsair Vengeance 2000 as well but that isn't as comfortable on my head.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3174 on: May 12, 2014, 04:31:58 PM

I was watching my son this evening and I believe that the Sony headset cord is possibly delicious.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #3175 on: May 13, 2014, 09:52:40 AM

I have the MDR-V6 Sony monitor headset and other than not having a mike and a rather cumbersome telephone style coiled chord, the sound quality is truly fantastic. Note that it is not USB, and that can confuse the living crap out of your system's board if it can't tell the difference between a headphone jack and your speaker jack.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #3176 on: May 20, 2014, 01:29:17 PM

Help me with a nagging Exchange problem!  I have a client whose mail is syncing fine between the server, her Outlook and her iPhone.  Except that when she reads a mail in one, it still shows up as new in Outlook or the iPhone.  Webmail is seeing that they have been read, but not passing that information along to anything else.  What gives?

Relevant specs:
Exchange Server 2010 running on Small Business Server 2011 x64
Outlook 2010
Not sure which version of the iPhone, unfortunately
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3177 on: May 20, 2014, 03:19:04 PM

Web mail is reading from the server, whereas the Outlook and iPhone are downloading the messages to the device itself.  The state of being read is going to be particular to the device reading it.  I'm not sure there's  solution for this if they're going to be using all devices simultaneously.  

At least, that's my understanding of it.  My father-in-law had the exact same issue, and that explanation seemed to suffice for him.

disclaimer: I don't do this for a living.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:21:00 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3178 on: May 20, 2014, 03:24:20 PM

With IMAP the read/unread status gets sync'd up on the server but who the fuck knows what Microsoft is doing with it's own stuff.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3179 on: May 20, 2014, 05:42:48 PM

Is cached exchange mode turned on in the Outlook desktop client?

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #3180 on: May 21, 2014, 05:50:41 AM

Yes to cached exchange mode.

Rasix, the trick here is that normally, you can tell when an email has been read on another device/webmail.  Exchange shares that information.  In this one instance, however, it's not passing that part along even though it's sending the emails through and deleting them off everything when, say, the phone deletes an email.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3181 on: May 21, 2014, 06:02:32 AM

Have them turn cached exchange mode off on the desktop client and see if that changes any behavior.

Also, did they add the exchange account to their iPhone by selecting the type "Microsoft Exchange" (which uses ActiveSync)?

Sometimes removing and re-adding the account to the phone resolves weird issues.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3182 on: May 21, 2014, 06:20:06 AM

Outlook and Webmail shouldn't be having those types of problems.  With the IPhone I'd suggest the wrong type of synch was enabled, but if it's happening between webmail and Outlook, something is very fucked.

You can try turning of cached mode, of course, but that's basically turning outlook into a webmail client at this stage and probably won't be much use, unless it's really not synching THERE either, in which case, I refer you to the very fucked.

Let us know.  We have a lot of Exchange people here and I regularly get shite like this with the 365 stuff due to mobile devices.  Blackberry in particular is the fucking devil.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3183 on: May 21, 2014, 10:29:36 AM

Speaking of Blackberry being the devil, I got an email this morning letting IT pros on campus know that there are 400 devices in the campus BES not seen in over 6 months which are causing huge server load issues because BES checks every device stored in the database sequentially (and I think that may be by creation date  awesome, for real) and waits for it to time out before going on to try the next one. Apparently syncs for the like 12 people left on campus using a Blackberry are behaving more like Phildo's iPhone scenario.  why so serious?

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #3184 on: May 21, 2014, 01:14:01 PM

That's funny, because most of my attempts to Google my issue have resulted in Blackberry forums links.

Update: The issue doesn't happen in cached exchange mode, and in cached mode if Outlook receives the email initially marked as read (ie I read it in the web app while Outlook is closed, before Outlook has seen it at all) then it appears as read.  I'm cleaning the crap out of the associated data files right now.  Rebuilding the profile didn't help.

I feel like there's a deeper exchange setting at fault here.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: