Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:16:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 617065 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1820 on: October 13, 2015, 09:11:17 AM

The Inhumans have been a mess for years. I mean, FFS, Black Bolt and Medusa were at one point running the Kree Empire not so long ago. I'm pretty sure the movies/TV properties have to follow jack and shit of their previous storylines because none of it is really all that powerful or necessary. They don't even have a good consistent villain - Maximus is the closest to a villain and sometimes he's not even that. There's plenty of good seeds for stories if they just ignore trying to follow the comic continuity (which they will).

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1821 on: October 13, 2015, 11:12:47 AM

Pure speculation zone: I've been wondering if Inhumans will end up being an invasion movie.  In theory. they'll be unleashing Inhumans on the MCU over the next 2 years, then having the Infinity movies.  If Inhumans follows that, it'd be a perfect time for the Royal Family to reveal themselves and try to take control of the Inhumans walking the Earth, creating an opportunity for another movie populated with as many characters as Cap III.

I also think the Inhumans will be tied to GotG via the Eternals concept, with the Eternals (Inhumans 1.0 created by the Celestials, which in the comics happen to look a lot like the beings that held the power stones in the past in GotG (which some speculate is the major Easter Egg that Gunn keeps referencing that nobody has locked down) - and which happen to be the the race of Thanos and his brother Eros, a lothario with the ability to seduce (cough, cough - Quill's dad, making Gamora Quill's cousin - which makes the failed seduction scene in GotG 1 a Star Wars Luke/Leia type nod) bridging the gap between the Inhumans and GotG. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1822 on: October 13, 2015, 11:20:44 AM

I would be really, really surprised if they introduce the Eternals per se, at least in any form that resembles the comics.

I would also be really shocked if Quill's father is Eros in any form that resembles Eros in the comics. Particularly not with his roofie power, which Marvel clearly wishes it had never had.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1823 on: October 13, 2015, 11:37:18 AM

Yeah, I do not in any way see them adding Eros/Starfox to the MCU. That character is just so '70's/'80's bad. Besides, there really isn't a lot of difference between the Eternals and Inhumans, so I don't expect the Eternals to be a thing in the MCU at all.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1824 on: October 13, 2015, 01:59:31 PM

Speculation only - no nneed to get huffy, but here is some more stuff surrounding speculation on Eros/Starfox as Quill's dad:

1.) Quill is written with a lot of the lothario traits that Starfox had in the ...errr... less rapey stories in the 80s. 
2.) STARfox, STARlord. 
3.) Marvel clearly had a fixation on the family of Thanos. 
4.) The beings in the GotG flashback with the Infinity Stones were pretty clearly designed to look like the Celestials, the creators of the Eternals.  Thanos is an Eternal.  That is a lot of Eternal related material.
5.) If Eros is papa, you get: Gamora is Quill's cousin, Thanos is his uncle, Quill gets a dad who is like a worse version of himself... a lot of material that is ripe for mining and that nods to some of the key story elements from Star Wars, something that Gunn said was an influence (Quill/Gamora = Luke/Leia, unexpected family relation between villain and hero, etc...
6.) Eros as written in the 80s was nothing compared to the Purple Man in Alias/Jessica Jones.  Quills father can be a disgusting figure in GotG... and they can completely eliminate the discussion of his seductive ways as a power and just present it as him being very charismatic.
7.) Marvel's MCU wiki confirms the holder of the stones were Celestials, and makes explicit reference to the Eternals in the comics and notes their ties to Thanos... http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Celestials
8.) Gunn was a fan of the Avengers in the Starfox era.

They're going in a different direction in the pretty disappointing cartoon version, but this is strill my leading theory. 

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1825 on: October 13, 2015, 02:07:45 PM

Not to mention Knowhere itself, the severed head of a Celestial being mined for the potency of Celestial bodily fluids. Yeah, there's way too many Celestial hooks, combined with Thanos, The Collector, and the Infinity Gauntlet arc (which is now explicit, rather than hinted). Eros as Quill's father works pretty well.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1826 on: October 13, 2015, 02:17:18 PM

It's putting a strain on the Royal Family as characters that they can't really sustain. They're interesting but don't have anywhere near the density of storytelling behind them to hold up, even with Soule writing them.

This doesn't make sense to me. The lack of density is exactly why they can do this and present the 'established' characters in new light. They don't have the baggage (or baggage anyone cares about).

Meaning, I don't think they make sense as being at the center of a global bloom of superpowered people, unless that's literally the storyline. E.g., the Royal Family (and the residents of Attilan) were always recluses and kind of snobby--sort of superpowered Shangri-La. Terrigen was sacred--in one case, they fought to get a cannister of it back that someone stole from them. They didn't particularly like or interact with the rest of humanity. Mutants have to deal with evolution, with the notion that you're just born that way--Inhumans, no matter how they spin it, are made. Now if the continuing story is about what people who think of themselves as set-aside and superior do when they turn out to be no better (and sometimes worse) than everyone else after their specialness is taken away, that might be interesting, and I guess that's been part of the story since Infinity or so--I'm reading Soule's book on Marvel Unlimited. But they're also trying to stick to the "rivalrous royalties" idea.

But that's literally the story line?  why so serious?

A group of isolationist people who thought themselves above everything have now very suddenly found themselves stranded in the middle of EVERYTHING. So they are trying to rebuild and/or cling to what they had, their old ideas, cultures, traditions and even their previous home... while still holding true to their more pragmatic and pressing responsibilities that come from their new situation. The old trying to balance out with the new, utterly alien ideas trying to blend with very modern and mundane ones.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1827 on: October 13, 2015, 02:22:33 PM

Of course there are Celestials - that's obvious from the movies. I still don't see them needing to use Eternals as a thing, nor to make Thanos an Eternal.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1828 on: October 13, 2015, 02:50:00 PM

You guys lost me half a page ago and I'M a geek. It'll be interesting to see Marvel make  'normal' people care about this.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1829 on: October 13, 2015, 03:47:23 PM

All the normies need to know and care about, is random ass super powers come from being Inhuman and the various big bads want to control/manipulate said Inhumans to their own ends.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1830 on: October 13, 2015, 04:15:51 PM

You guys lost me half a page ago and I'M a geek. It'll be interesting to see Marvel make  'normal' people care about this.
Right.  I mean that'd be as hard as (obligatory Rocket Raccoon comment).

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1831 on: October 13, 2015, 04:29:34 PM

Even as a comic geek, the Inhumans are right up there with the Fantasic Four in regards to how little I've ever cared about any of the characters. Also, I didn't leave GotG wondering or caring which character from the comics is Starlord's father. If Gunn has a good story to tell around who it is, great. I don't have any pressing need to see characters like Starfox brought to the big screen or anything though.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1832 on: October 13, 2015, 06:16:58 PM

Again, it all comes down to who is directing it.  You get another Gunn and inhumans can be something memorable, you get a hired gun director on the cheap, you'll get a forgettable(likely profitable) cash grab.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1833 on: October 13, 2015, 07:11:33 PM

I think the Inhumans require a little more heavy lifting on the part of the director to make interesting as opposed to something like GotG, where Gunn was able to use a lot from the comics as a framework for the movie (Starlord, Rocket, and Groot are all pretty close to their comic book counterparts). I'm sure there's a good take on an Inhumans movie out there, I'm just struggling to think what it would be.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1834 on: October 14, 2015, 07:10:16 AM

The Inhumans are a mashup of Asguard and mutants without the appeal of either.

Blackagar Boltagon and Medusa can very easily come across as incredibly lame.

If you want an invasion film, Marvel's already got space empires lying in wait.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1835 on: October 14, 2015, 09:51:11 AM

If you look at Tony's dream sequence and consider it prophecy, it seems likely that there will be an Invasion aspect to Infinity.  As such, I'm rethinking the likelihood of Inhumans as a subsequent invasion story, although it could be an aftermath story resetting a new norm.

Anyways, Moon Knight, according to people nobody here trusts, may be next in line for backdoor pilot treatment (like the Punisher is getting).  I always liked the concept of Moon Knight, but the execution in the comics in the 80s when I read it was pretty bad. 

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1836 on: October 14, 2015, 10:10:03 AM

Invasion implies conquest, and Thanos doesn't need or want the Earth. (Does he?)
An invasion could serve as a diversionary tactic, so that he can get to the Vision more or less unimpeded. The Mind Stone is the only one that's on Earth, that we know of.

So, how are they going to portray MCU Thanos? Is he sufficiently mighty that he can take on the Avengers without an army?

Having said that, if it is an actual invasion, I hope they don't use the Chitauri again. They had less personality and menace than Ultron's robots.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1837 on: October 14, 2015, 11:10:02 AM

An invasion could serve as a diversionary tactic, so that he can get to the Vision more or less unimpeded. The Mind Stone is the only one that's on Earth, that we know of.
The Tesseract aka the Cosmic Cube holds the Space Stone.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1838 on: October 14, 2015, 11:17:13 AM

Moon Knight getting the Netflix Daredevil treatment would excite me, I was always a fan of the more obscure heroes like him. I think I have the entire original series boxed away. Problem being, its way to easy to have him just wind up a lame Batman ripoff.

Netflix level grittiness, focus on the character and his split personality issues, and just mix a little of the occult stuff in. Sadly, probably all just rumor.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1839 on: October 14, 2015, 11:36:40 AM

The Tesseract aka the Cosmic Cube holds the Space Stone.

Yeah, but it is on Asgard (and the Aether is presumably still with The Collector, who must have had his own plans for the Infinity Gauntlet gambit).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1840 on: October 14, 2015, 11:42:50 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot they gave it to Thor to take it back to Asgard.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1841 on: October 14, 2015, 11:56:03 AM

But that makes me realize, if we are going to get exposition about the Eternals and Celestials at any point, it's going to be when Thanos goes after the Aether.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1842 on: October 14, 2015, 12:15:03 PM

More news on Thor 3:

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1843 on: October 14, 2015, 12:21:34 PM

When you say news, can you link your sources ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1844 on: October 14, 2015, 12:32:26 PM

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1845 on: October 14, 2015, 12:36:48 PM

When you say news, can you link your sources ?
I could and often do.  However, if I didn't grab it when reading, I don't go back for it - especially because you get 100 degrees of bitching if you don't run down the chain of posted articles to figure out who posted it first and quote that article rather than the one you happened across. 

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1846 on: October 14, 2015, 12:37:40 PM

I just assumed it's all being beamed straight into your head. Tinfoil Hat
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1847 on: October 14, 2015, 12:41:07 PM

I just assumed it's all being beamed straight into your head. Tinfoil Hat
It used to be, but your mom's thighs seem to be stopping the signal.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1848 on: October 14, 2015, 12:47:03 PM

Rimshot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1849 on: October 14, 2015, 01:05:08 PM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1850 on: October 14, 2015, 01:13:21 PM

Rank speculation follows:

There are two stones that have not yet made an appearance, the Soul gem and the Time gem. The Soul gem has one property in the comics that makes me go "Hmmm...."

The Soul gem can "Revert beings to their natural state." And who do we know in the MCU that would do almost anything to revert to their natural state? So, I suspect that if Hulk/Banner is in Ragnorak, it will also involve the Soul stone.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1851 on: October 14, 2015, 01:35:40 PM

Possibly the quest for the Time gem involves Cher.

Warning :  Rank Speculation.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1852 on: October 14, 2015, 01:43:53 PM

Don't give Gunn any ideas  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1853 on: October 14, 2015, 01:53:55 PM

Jim Croce: o/~ If I could save time in a bauble.... o/~

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1854 on: October 14, 2015, 06:42:31 PM

Not directly movie related, but this fits in better here than any of the TV threads. Apparently the TV branches of Marvel and Fox are able to work out a deal with each other at least. They're going to be working together on two X-men related TV series, Hellfire and Legion.

Fox’s “Hellfire” is set in the late 1960s and follows a young special agent who learns that a power-hungry woman with extraordinary abilities is working with a clandestine society of millionaires, known as “The Hellfire Club,” to take over the world.

FX’s “Legion,” which is also based on an X-Men character, will tell the story of a troubled young man, David Haller, who may be more than human. Since he was a teenager, David has struggled with mental illness, and diagnosed as schizophrenic — he has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. But after a strange encounter with a fellow patient, he’s confronted with the possibility that the voices he hears and the visions he sees might be real. In Marvel Comics canon, the character is Professor Charles Xavier’s mutant son.

Neither show will have X-men anywhere in the title it sounds like, although Bryan Singer is involved as an exec. producer along with other prominent folks from both Fox and Marvel like Lauren Shuler Donner and Jeph Loeb. None of the articles I've read mention what Marvel gets out of the deal, aside from being involved in the production. With X-men: Apocalypse and the next Wolverine movie sounding like they might wrap up the X-men movie universe as it currently exists, maybe there's some remote chance that the movie studios can work out a deal like Marvel and Sony did. I'm not going to hold my breath or anything (honestly I still kinda prefer the X-men and the rest of the MU separate from each other) but it's interesting to see Marvel and Fox working together.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: