Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2024, 10:33:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 617595 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: November 27, 2013, 08:16:36 AM

We've already seen Adam Warlock - if you looked carefully and knew what you were seeing.  Think 80s geriatric movie...

Oh, and about that conversation we all had back in September where I said Daredevil, Heroes for Hire and Jessica Jones were in development and you thought I was crazy... we were both right.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #246 on: November 27, 2013, 02:06:29 PM

We've already seen Adam Warlock - if you looked carefully and knew what you were seeing.  Think 80s geriatric movie...

Oh, and about that conversation we all had back in September where I said Daredevil, Heroes for Hire and Jessica Jones were in development and you thought I was crazy... we were both right.

You mean the conversation back in this thread? The one that was actually about the rumors of an Agent Carter TV series that had nothing to do with you mentioning that there were rumors of those other shows also? In fact would this be the same conversation where you said "While I think they have a number of series in similar stages of development, the coverage of this story does note that they've elevated the situation to having someone write a pilot." indicating that you thought an Agent Carter TV show was further along than some of these other rumored shows? I mean you realize we can click back a couple pages and actually reread the conversation right?
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: November 27, 2013, 02:24:57 PM

So looks like there is an Agent Carter TV show in the works now.  Marvel is pretty busy.
I'm not so sure on this rumor - the equivalent tales have flown around for Jessica Jones, as well as some rumors for Heroes for Hire, Daredevil and a few other properties.  I am betting there will be a second Marvel Universe series, but I don't think Agent Carter is an appreciable front runner to be the Wonderland to SHIELD's Once Upon a Time.  Heck, I'm betting they have 6 to 10 series at similar levels of development.  

Of course, if they follow the original idea for Wonderland as a limited run counterpoint for Once Upon a Time, Agent Carter would make a lot of sense - Agent Carter during the days SHIELD gets off the ground in an 8 episode miniseries would make a lot of sense as a way to bridge the summer gap between Season 1 and 2 of SHIELD.  An approach like that - 8 to 10 episode stand alone tales in the MCU focusing on secondary film characters (War Machine, Loki, Thunderbolt Ross, Warriors Three, Nova, etc...) or other 2nd and 3rd tier characters (Heroes for Hire, Jessica Jones, Punisher, Blade, Runaways, Power Pack, etc...) makes a lot of sense.  You could get A list talent to commit to those roles if they know it is limited and that there might be movies to come.  
I said I was crazy.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: December 02, 2013, 08:07:38 PM

I forgot to mention how worried Del Toro's take on the Collector scares me.   ACK! People say this guy can act but I just don't see it.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: December 03, 2013, 06:06:01 AM

I forgot to mention how worried Del Toro's take on the Collector scares me.   ACK! People say this guy can act but I just don't see it.

Don't be insane.  Del Toro is a great actor with just as much range as say a Sean Connery, Nicolas Cage or even a Tom Cruise.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #250 on: December 03, 2013, 06:21:48 AM

I don't think the studio is to worried about his take on the character, considering that 99.99% of the viewing public will have no idea who the character is.

I was a 35 comic a month guy in the late 80's/early 90's and I barely remember him.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: December 03, 2013, 06:57:26 AM

In the meantime, David Goyer is reportedly writing some side script treatments to go along with Batman v. Superman that includes films built around Booster Gold, Team 7, Suicide Squad and Deathstroke. The Team 7 one is especially laughable, as it's one of the biggest flops of the New 52 (that's saying something) and makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever if your film is not set in a universe absolutely crowded with spandex heroes. http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/david-goyer-developing-dc-comics-films-like-suicide-squad-more/

I think Marvel can rest pretty easy.

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: December 03, 2013, 07:05:47 AM

In the meantime, David Goyer is reportedly writing some side script treatments to go along with Batman v. Superman that includes films built around Booster Gold, Team 7, Suicide Squad and Deathstroke.

I know absolutely nothing else about the character, but the Booster Gold episode of Justice League Unlimited remains one of my favorites.  If they had put Ryan Reynolds  in a movie based on the JLU character instead of in Green Lantern, I would have watched the hell out of that.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: December 03, 2013, 08:31:40 AM

In the meantime, David Goyer is reportedly writing some side script treatments to go along with Batman v. Superman that includes films built around Booster Gold, Team 7, Suicide Squad and Deathstroke.

I know absolutely nothing else about the character, but the Booster Gold episode of Justice League Unlimited remains one of my favorites.  If they had put Ryan Reynolds  in a movie based on the JLU character instead of in Green Lantern, I would have watched the hell out of that.
Oh yeah, Ryan Reynolds as Booster Gold would have been golden perfect.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: December 03, 2013, 09:56:38 AM

This thread is weird. Del Toro is great.

beer geek.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: December 03, 2013, 11:03:07 AM

I don't think the studio is to worried about his take on the character, considering that 99.99% of the viewing public will have no idea who the character is.

I was a 35 comic a month guy in the late 80's/early 90's and I barely remember him.

Well the Collector is a minor character. I'm concerned though that the overall movie will be campy.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: December 03, 2013, 11:07:17 AM

Well the Collector is a minor character. I'm concerned though that the overall movie will be campy.

Pretty sure from day 1 that is what they have said they were going for.  Perhaps the word campy was not used but certainly an action/comedy.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: December 03, 2013, 11:28:44 AM

I can deal with action/comedy. You can argue that most of the Marvel films are action/comedy. "Adam West campy" is what I thought when I saw Del Toro.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: December 03, 2013, 11:48:21 AM

IM III was pretty much a combination of IM II and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.   It was a Shane Black film in the MCU.

I have a feeling we'll get the same type of thing from GotG: A James Gunn film in the MCU.  If you want an idea of what this film is going to end up being, look to Dawn of the Dead, Slither and Super for guidance. 

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: December 03, 2013, 12:17:59 PM

IM III was pretty much a combination of IM II and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.   It was a Shane Black film in the MCU.

I have a feeling we'll get the same type of thing from GotG: A James Gunn film in the MCU.  If you want an idea of what this film is going to end up being, look to Dawn of the Dead, Slither and Super for guidance. 

I'm not sure I agree with the Dawn of the Dead bit. He only wrote that one. And I wouldn't say that it was the script that was the best part of that one. Slither and Super are both great. But more notably, Gunn got his start with Troma, to get the idea of what his style is. It will have some camp, which is not bad if it's done well. I mean, it has a raccoon with a machine gun. You can't do something like GoG straight up.

beer geek.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: December 03, 2013, 12:19:13 PM

I expect, nay demand at least one yiffing joke.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: December 03, 2013, 01:31:05 PM

I think they're going camp, if not Adam West camp, and that it should be fun. I don't think you can play it safe if you're making a movie with a space raccoon, a giant tree-alien, two green people with knives and a guy who calls himself Star-Lord.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: December 03, 2013, 03:55:00 PM

You would think not, but its not long ago that studio execs spent millions on a humourless Green Lantern film. They even hired Ryan fricking Reynolds, and not for a joke or anything.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:56:33 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: December 03, 2013, 04:00:01 PM

Ryan Reynolds was NOT the problem with that movie, even by a longshot. And hell, I didn't hate GL as most did.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #264 on: December 04, 2013, 08:59:31 AM

Ryan Reynolds was NOT the problem with that movie, even by a longshot. And hell, I didn't hate GL as most did.

This. Green Lantern wasn't a terrible movie by any stretch of the imagination. It just wasn't as good as it could or should have been. And Ryan Reynolds was absolutely not the problem with that movie.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: December 04, 2013, 11:03:36 AM

I don't have a problem with the movie as long as I pretend Ryan is Kyle Rayner  (a character I don't own a comic featuring). I just don't think he's a good Hal.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: December 04, 2013, 12:23:21 PM

Reynolds would have made a superb Guy Gardner.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: December 05, 2013, 01:45:43 PM

I'll just leave this here for completeness on the "comic book hero" genre. This was back in July but its the first time I've seen it.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/23/gina-carano-is-taking-avengelyne-to-the-big-screen

Gina Carano is Taking Avengelyne to the Big Screen

MMA fighter turned actress Gina Carano is set to play the eponymous character in the big screen adaptation of Rob Liefeld's comic book series Avengelyne.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Carano and Liefeld are "re-conceiving" and "rebuilding" the title as a vehicle for the actress, and the proposed film(s) will carry a tone akin to Kate Beckinsale's pulpy Underworld franchise. For those unfamiliar with the Image comic book series, it centers around a fallen angel who now fights demons on Earth using her considerable super strength.

Hic sunt dracones.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: December 05, 2013, 01:56:27 PM

What does that have to do with the Marvel Universe?

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: December 05, 2013, 02:09:31 PM

What does that have to do with the Marvel Universe?
Perhaps confusion with Angela?

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: December 05, 2013, 02:52:22 PM

Same thing as the Green lantern. And I wasn't about to make a new thread based on that.

Hic sunt dracones.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: December 07, 2013, 12:28:43 PM

Rob Liefeld

Does that mean every shot of every character will only be from the knee on up and they'll cgi in the jelly-like spines?

Over and out.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: December 07, 2013, 02:22:07 PM

My favorite Leifeld is still the following, which is even on topic.

beer geek.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: December 07, 2013, 02:24:27 PM

Is it sad that I didn't even have to click that to know exactly which picture it was?  awesome, for real

Edit: Instead of going off on Leifeld mocking for the next three pages, I'll just link this.  Yes, it is where I got the pic I linked but there is so much more there.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:30:30 PM by Nevermore »

Over and out.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: December 07, 2013, 04:57:13 PM

I like the one with the Torch making tender missionary position love to the Thing.

Hic sunt dracones.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #275 on: December 07, 2013, 05:19:41 PM

that whole article was fantastic. Thank you so much.  I'm happy to know I wasn't the only one who thought the comic art of the 90s was bullshit, largely because of ALL OF THAT being replicated by every artist.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: December 07, 2013, 05:22:30 PM

Oh that Liefeld rant was beautiful!   Heart

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #277 on: December 09, 2013, 02:53:49 PM

I........sorry.  Some of it was funny, but a lot of it felt like they were really stretching for shit to complain about.  Maybe its because that's what I grew up with, but a lot of that looked perfectly fine.  Its style choices, and a lot of the little nitty gritty things they dinged him on for much of that I could do the same with pretty much every other comic book artist ever.  I actually like a lot of the 90's style artwork, unrealistic as it (but not a lot of comic artists have ever really tried to go for ultra realistic, which seems to be the only thing they will accept).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: December 09, 2013, 04:57:07 PM

I don't know... I would enjoy seeing a Leifeld inked animated movie. It'd be great stoned.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: December 09, 2013, 10:20:37 PM

I........sorry.  Some of it was funny, but a lot of it felt like they were really stretching for shit to complain about.  Maybe its because that's what I grew up with, but a lot of that looked perfectly fine.  Its style choices, and a lot of the little nitty gritty things they dinged him on for much of that I could do the same with pretty much every other comic book artist ever.  I actually like a lot of the 90's style artwork, unrealistic as it (but not a lot of comic artists have ever really tried to go for ultra realistic, which seems to be the only thing they will accept).

No.

beer geek.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: