Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 01:03:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2138875 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8400 on: July 26, 2011, 09:39:56 AM

Companion death redacted - called it.

Called what? Got a link?
Now don't go feeding him.

I need to find a thread for a game I dislike and start posting there. It makes so much sense.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8401 on: July 26, 2011, 09:50:22 AM

OMG it's shortened to RP and not RP-PvE so it's like totally different!!

It's the same fucking thing (ruleset), dipshit. 

Thats what you got upset about in the first place.  I said "RP" and you got all bent out of shape that I didn't say RP-PvE.  The rest of that discussion was other people pointing out that RP usually means RP-PvE unless otherwise denoted as RP-PvP.  I don't know why you're getting so up in arms over this relatively small terminology issue.  BC is going to be on an RP server with a PvE ruleset.  There, now you have your answer and you can stop being cranky.

Why cater to him? He's just looking to argue or something or else has a very short memory and forgot his own replies to people.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8402 on: July 26, 2011, 10:19:42 AM

Companion death redacted - called it.

Called what? Got a link?
Now don't go feeding him.

I need to find a thread for a game I dislike and start posting there. It makes so much sense.
I was going by what you said about companion death like, five posts ago.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #8403 on: July 26, 2011, 10:25:22 AM

I should have asked Sky then.  What the hell does "Companion death redacted" mean?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #8404 on: July 26, 2011, 10:34:02 AM

I think they're trying to say it's no longer possible to kill companions off, but they're dancing around it, so I don't know.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8405 on: July 26, 2011, 11:15:37 AM

No, they said companion death is out, because people were killing their companions and going "wait, it's really dead forever?" And you guys wonder why I don't like grouping with these mouth-breathers.

But it also kind of revealed that the different kits for companions won't be effective in changing their roles. Which is too bad, would've been nice if they had more latitude in that, if you want healbot you deal with that companion even if you can't stand it. Guess I'm stuck with whatever it is Blizz does :)

Also, James Ohlen shouldn't be allowed to speak in public, he's like a walking leak :)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8406 on: July 26, 2011, 11:27:36 AM

I'm fine with companions just essentially having a class. So if you kit them you can advance class them, but not turn trooperdude into a jedi, or give them crazy skills no player can get (so hate *npc of same logical class as you* with abilities you can't get)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8407 on: July 26, 2011, 11:28:57 AM

As I said, I called it.  There was just no way they'd allow permanent companion death in an mmo.

I'm actually very critical of the game I know but I have little doubt I'm going to enjoy it for what it is.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8408 on: July 26, 2011, 11:31:15 AM

I'm fine with companions just essentially having a class. So if you kit them you can advance class them, but not turn trooperdude into a jedi, or give them crazy skills no player can get (so hate *npc of same logical class as you* with abilities you can't get)

Like NPC thane monsters with evade.  Shaking fist

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #8409 on: July 26, 2011, 11:33:01 AM

As I said, I called it.
Yes, HRose, you broke the code.

Or did he post here as Abalieno?
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8410 on: July 26, 2011, 11:42:16 AM

Like NPC thane monsters with evade.  Shaking fist

Casters with parry were my favorite. <3
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #8411 on: July 26, 2011, 12:06:02 PM

As I said, I called it.

Or did he post here as Abalieno?

Did someone say Viklas?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8412 on: July 26, 2011, 12:17:47 PM

I'm ok with them having access to their own skill list, in fact it would probably be better to give them unique skills so players DON'T get cranky the companions gets class X skills + awesome skill Y.

But I didn't mean your trooperdude companion would get a lightsaber. Just that he could tank (shield kit), dps (weapon kit), or heal (medic kit), within his own art/lore realm. So if you like trooperdude but can't stand whinyhealbitch, you could still have a healer without constantly being annoyed.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8413 on: July 26, 2011, 12:19:02 PM

I'm still confused as to what goes on in an RP server, but as long as I don't have to do anything different, I'm down!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #8414 on: July 26, 2011, 12:21:43 PM

I'm still confused as to what goes on in an RP server, but as long as I don't have to do anything different, I'm down!

"Darth Balls" will be "Darth Bawhlz". That's probably about it.

-Rasix
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #8415 on: July 26, 2011, 12:52:24 PM

In a good situation, the RP servers just mean a naming convention, and people don't get to keep dumb names like Darth Drizzt Muad'Dib or Master xxLegolasxx.

In a bad situation, you get The Crazies.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8416 on: July 26, 2011, 12:55:15 PM

I'm ok with them having access to their own skill list, in fact it would probably be better to give them unique skills so players DON'T get cranky the companions gets class X skills + awesome skill Y.

But I didn't mean your trooperdude companion would get a lightsaber. Just that he could tank (shield kit), dps (weapon kit), or heal (medic kit), within his own art/lore realm. So if you like trooperdude but can't stand whinyhealbitch, you could still have a healer without constantly being annoyed.

I dislike being able to rig them that way if the players cannot do the same. If trooper players have a tank spec and a dps spec, trooper npc should have a tank kit and a dps kit. Giving him a heal kit would annoy me, because why can't my trooper spec for healing?

That would still in theory give you plenty of characters to pick if you dislike Healer A but want a healer. But would block you if the idea was I really like companion B, and want a role he can't fill.

Dunno why, it's just always annoyed me when NPCs are inherently better than my player can ever be, because they have access to things the devs have decided my identical class can't do.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #8417 on: July 26, 2011, 12:56:15 PM

This thing is so big I can't even give away my beta account. Nobody wants to download it since everyone's ISP has a bandwidth cap these days.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8418 on: July 26, 2011, 12:57:19 PM

So no interest in a Space Balls naming convention?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #8419 on: July 26, 2011, 12:57:39 PM

This thing is so big I can't even give away my beta account. Nobody wants to download it since everyone's ISP has a bandwidth cap these days.

I think Comcast's is something absurdly high.  Don't know.  I should probably check.  awesome, for real

edit: 250 GB.  Most I've used in the past 3 months is 47.  I don't stream TV/movies at all and don't pirate games.  I imagine most of my bandwidth is MMO patching and Steam/PSN/XBL downloads.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:04:54 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8420 on: July 26, 2011, 01:00:11 PM

Like hell you can't. I'll take it.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

Reply #8421 on: July 26, 2011, 01:09:58 PM

I think Comcast's is something absurdly high.  Don't know.  I should probably check.  awesome, for real

edit: 250 GB.  Most I've used in the past 3 months is 47.  I don't stream TV/movies at all and don't pirate games.  I imagine most of my bandwidth is MMO patching and Steam/PSN/XBL downloads.

This was a point of contention when I recently moved. I really had no clue how much I was using and saw the cap at 250g and was a bit tentative. So I unleashed Hulu and normal gaming use along with internet(read: PRON) usage and smartphone wi-fi through my wireless... June saw my usage @ 43g. Kinda shocked I only used that much. i guess I really overestimated my inner-dork. 

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #8422 on: July 26, 2011, 01:13:07 PM

I'll have your beta account. Failing that, if anyone is able to get me into the beta by fair means or foul I'd be ever so grateful.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8423 on: July 26, 2011, 01:29:41 PM

Log into WoW, make a character on the Moon Guard server, and head to the Goldshire tavern.   why so serious?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #8424 on: July 26, 2011, 01:34:14 PM

As I said, I called it.

Ahem:

LOL

You won't really have to do anything different, you just should probably avoid shrieking ROLEPLAYERS ARE GAAAAAAAAAAY over general chat or whatever. Main difference (Goldshires aside) is that there are less stupid names and once in a while if you're standing around in a congregation-ish point (like, say, an inn in Orgrimmar), there will be people roleplaying around you. If they're good at it, they might be interesting to SPY ON while you're waiting for BC to get its shit together to go on a mission or something, if they're bad at it, they are hilarious. That's my own experience, anyway.

God Save the Horn Players
Terracotta Army

Reply #8425 on: July 26, 2011, 01:37:54 PM

And sometimes... just sometimes, when the stars align correctly, you can loiter about and hear some incredible player-driven dialog - but most of the time it's retarded banter.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8426 on: July 26, 2011, 01:42:06 PM

Yeah, the stuff on Shadefallen on Rift is pretty weird for the most part. Some of the light roleplayers are fun, but I've run past some really bizarre shit. However, they're mostly harmless and (to me) much less annoying than Darth Azzgrabber. I dunno, I've just always enjoyed my experiences on RP servers more than on mainstream servers in any game I've played. Even something like Siege Perilous was so much better than Atlantic, which was a ghetto pit.

I still remember the puzzlement from people in EQ when I refused to group with a dark elf (I was a high elf at the time). I didn't launch into some shakespearean soliloquy about the tribulations of my people, but I do feel that there should be enough rp to realize that it's odd for two races who (in the game lore) hate each others guts to be hanging out together. But EQ itself beat most of the light rp out of me with its LCD moronity and a game design that actively punished rp. So...

I wouldn't get too hung up on that part of it. It's really pve vs pvp.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #8427 on: July 26, 2011, 01:42:18 PM

I'm still confused as to what goes on in an RP server
Slightly higher amount of wookie cybersex, i'd presume.

Slightly.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #8428 on: July 26, 2011, 01:45:04 PM

You troll the hell out of the rest of the playerbase but do so in a roleplaying manner so the GMs can't do anything about it.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8429 on: July 26, 2011, 02:01:25 PM

Forsooth! Where the wookie women at?

Something like that?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8430 on: July 26, 2011, 02:22:20 PM

Forsooth! Where the wookie women at?

Something like that?

RP servers only real advantage is that people that think RP is "faggy" tend to stay away, slightly improving the quality of the playerbase. 
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #8431 on: July 26, 2011, 02:36:07 PM

Think it also attracts the part of the playerbase who think RP is "faggy" and feel tremendous need to let the "fags" in question know that, meaning the quality average remains about the same...
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8432 on: July 26, 2011, 02:36:38 PM

Think it also attracts the part of the playerbase who think RP is "faggy" and feel tremendous need to let the "fags" in question know that, meaning the quality average remains about the same...

Nah, honestly those people only show up when their own servers are down for the most part.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8433 on: July 26, 2011, 02:37:56 PM

But I can still make fun of people not being able to play droids right?

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8434 on: July 26, 2011, 02:40:06 PM

I've never really been chided for talking game when in a group on an RP server, either. There's no actual expectation that you RP. It just seems to have a somewhat softer community.

And emoting. You walk past a LOT of out of context emotes in your chat log.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: