Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:21:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1362715 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1890 on: August 18, 2014, 06:35:44 PM

Also Phil Fish is back on twitter I guess, shitting his pants about the Ferguson thing and telling gamers they don't 'deserve' him.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1891 on: August 18, 2014, 07:23:51 PM

In Video Game related drama; Zoe Quinn, the creator of Depression Quest basically got helldumped by her thoroughly cuckolded boyfriend. Turns out she basically was fucking around on him with 5 other people, including her boss (who is married) and a Kotaku writer who gave her game a good review.

Videeeeeeeoooooooooooo gaaaameeeesss
She made the best game ever.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
schild
Administrator

Reply #1892 on: August 19, 2014, 02:06:33 AM

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1893 on: August 19, 2014, 02:19:55 AM

Nah, this is the real hot stuff (discounted!)  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? :

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291030/

Dodger's playthrough is quite funny (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ABHS9NTq8)

(but seriously, Clockwork Empires is quite interesting)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1894 on: August 19, 2014, 05:29:21 AM

Puppy Games dev writes a spiel about the 'dark side' of the indie industry, which literally anyone with a brain stem knows about.

Customers are assholes, internet trolls are assholes, support is hard/expensive, race to the bottom thanks to Steam Sales and Humble Bundle, coupled with multiple responses of "Uh, we're like making a bunch of money. This is about the *industry*" to people pointing out that their repertoire so far is almost entirely stylized versions of flash/phone games.

Also some defense of Phil Fish, justifying his behavior because he's "sitting on a pile of cash which is more than any of you will make in your lifetimes".

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1895 on: August 19, 2014, 07:26:36 AM

Oh, well, I forgot that money justifies being a retard.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1896 on: August 19, 2014, 09:28:45 AM

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1897 on: August 19, 2014, 10:41:04 AM

In Video Game related drama; Zoe Quinn, the creator of Depression Quest basically got helldumped by her thoroughly cuckolded boyfriend. Turns out she basically was fucking around on him with 5 other people, including her boss (who is married) and a Kotaku writer who gave her game a good review.

Lol I heard about this shit today on Reddit. 
Here is the dude that she cheated on giving the story:  http://thezoepost.wordpress.com/
Also this vid talks more about the gaming journalism side about what she's done:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51PfwI3M
schild
Administrator

Reply #1898 on: August 19, 2014, 11:26:22 AM

Puppy Games dev writes a spiel about the 'dark side' of the indie industry, which literally anyone with a brain stem knows about.

Customers are assholes, internet trolls are assholes, support is hard/expensive, race to the bottom thanks to Steam Sales and Humble Bundle, coupled with multiple responses of "Uh, we're like making a bunch of money. This is about the *industry*" to people pointing out that their repertoire so far is almost entirely stylized versions of flash/phone games.

Also some defense of Phil Fish, justifying his behavior because he's "sitting on a pile of cash which is more than any of you will make in your lifetimes".
He's right though. The individual customer is worth fuckall. They did this to themselves. I say "they" because I'm still willing to pay $20+ for the right game. The average internet person is not.

But really, he didn't touch on the problem. Which is this: The internet allowed customers a 24 hour feedback loop. That, more than anything, fucked gaming right in the butthole forever.

That said, I don't feel bad the the indie developer. The vast majority of them are indie because they're unmarketable shitheels. I do, however, jive with the idea that the customer fucked themselves by being cheap and don't really deserve to complain and directing their ire at a neckbeard is a stupid thing to do.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1899 on: August 19, 2014, 11:30:31 AM

Actually, I want to say one other thing on that topic. I started a company in an industry where the vast majority of customers have their REAL NAME tied to their feedback. It makes all the difference in the world. The Newsroom had it right in the episode where Will wanted people's real names tied to their shit. Forcing civility on people is a good thing. It completely daggers the possibility of them being total shitheels. And the ones that are total shitheels, well, you just ignore them.

Gaming has none of that. Absolutely none. The only people with real names tied to their product is indie devs. And since there's only like 50 of them and they're all super awful humans, it just makes them targets instead of increasing civility.

Finally, in gaming, the customer is nearly (NEARLY) never right. But fuck me do they think they're right more so than in any other industry.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1900 on: August 19, 2014, 12:06:38 PM

I see an awful lot of vile comments under articles on the internet, tied to people's Facebook accounts, with their real name and picture right there next to their racist (or whatever) screed. Getting rid of anonymity has not helped as much as I hoped it would.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1901 on: August 19, 2014, 12:09:01 PM

LOLGAMEZJOURNALIZMS!

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1902 on: August 19, 2014, 12:18:56 PM

Here is the dude that she cheated on giving the story:  http://thezoepost.wordpress.com/
Also this vid talks more about the gaming journalism side about what she's done:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51PfwI3M

I'm not sure what to say about this. She probably needs some professional help. He needs to let it go and not document every single thing they (or she) have ever done. Reading this made me be thankful for the fact that social networks did not exist when I was dating.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1903 on: August 19, 2014, 12:22:28 PM

I see an awful lot of vile comments under articles on the internet, tied to people's Facebook accounts, with their real name and picture right there next to their racist (or whatever) screed. Getting rid of anonymity has not helped as much as I hoped it would.
Politics has no place in what I'm talking about. However, real journalists and actual politicians know how to deal with people like that - ignore them. Only the shitty ones take the bait.

In consumer industries, getting rid of anonymity is a huge deal.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1904 on: August 19, 2014, 12:23:09 PM

He's right though. The individual customer is worth fuckall. They did this to themselves. I say "they" because I'm still willing to pay $20+ for the right game. The average internet person is not.

But really, he didn't touch on the problem. Which is this: The internet allowed customers a 24 hour feedback loop. That, more than anything, fucked gaming right in the butthole forever.

That said, I don't feel bad the the indie developer. The vast majority of them are indie because they're unmarketable shitheels. I do, however, jive with the idea that the customer fucked themselves by being cheap and don't really deserve to complain and directing their ire at a neckbeard is a stupid thing to do.
I'm saying this isn't exactly revelation.

If customers are nothing, then well, ignore their complaints I guess?

As for Phil Fish; I didn't like him because he's an unbelievable asshole who cannot be shit upon enough BECAUSE he's an unbelievable asshole- not because he made a bad videogame. I literally just played Fez for the first time last week because I got it free on PSN+. It was boring and a bad platformer so I uninstalled it not long after I tried to make myself play it. Gamers saying mean things to him didn't make him a prick- is it exceptionally clear he always was one.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1905 on: August 19, 2014, 12:28:41 PM

Indie Game: The Movie's alternate title was "A Wild Pack of Assholes."
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1906 on: August 19, 2014, 12:40:58 PM

Also just an FYI for this guy; if it's anyone's fault games become worthless overnight it's because:

a) Steam/Valve are assholes, provided their implication that Valve will literally veto your pricepoint if they so wish is true.

or

b) Other Indie Devs and AAA devs buying into the sale mentality.

Customers respond to the market. Steam got a bright idea to do firesales on shitloads of games, people went apeshit over it, people probably didn't get the longer term implication of this. The dev community collectively decided bundles and 80%-off sales are good and moved units, so if it's a race to the bottom they fucking started it. Expecting customers to suddenly pay more out of principal would get you laughed at in any other large industry in the world.

Wow, you mean when you give a non-essential product away, it technically makes it worthless? Whoda'thunkit?

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1907 on: August 19, 2014, 12:43:52 PM

...I just got an email for a Jumbo Humble Bundle now. ha.

Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #1908 on: August 19, 2014, 03:31:40 PM

I admit to finding this far more entertaining than I probably should.  The "OMG journalistic integrity" angle is pretty ridiculous, but man is it fun seeing holier-than-thou types get taken down a peg.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1909 on: August 19, 2014, 06:28:22 PM

PR stunt IMO.

Dude literally flat out states in the blog that being an asshole on the internet leads to more sales, then tells his customers that they're all worthless and stupid and he doesn't need them.  In the comments, he's pointed out that sales have gone up since he posted this.  So, good job, I guess.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1910 on: August 19, 2014, 07:11:35 PM

Losing anonymity only helps in professions and social situations where reputation actually has a material impact on people. In professions where literally no one cares if you're a cheat, liar, thief, racist, sexist or scumbag, then tying real names to everything doesn't change anything.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1911 on: August 19, 2014, 07:16:46 PM

I admit to finding this far more entertaining than I probably should.  The "OMG journalistic integrity" angle is pretty ridiculous, but man is it fun seeing holier-than-thou types get taken down a peg.

The thing that made laugh the loudest is her complaining about nude pictures of her being sent around.  It's not hard cuz there about 500 of them.  She did nude modeling for a suicide girls rip off sitea few years ago.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1912 on: August 19, 2014, 07:40:52 PM

It's interesting watching you all take a completely different tack than Lum's facebook, where you'd all be labeled Mysigonistic pigs for not immeiately stating you don't believe the ex's story because he's been jilted.  Or instead pointing the finger at the journalists who gave her good reviews and in any way shape or form implying she might have had nefarious motives. Clearly only the guys were in the wrong and she's just being slut shamed for having a vagina and daring to have sex in a professional relationship.

I enjoy the "they're all assholes" tack here a lot more.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #1913 on: August 19, 2014, 08:39:49 PM

Like I said, I think the journalistic integrity angle is bullshit, and just people trying to make something Professional and Serious so they can pretend it's about something other than an awesome revenge story.  The reason people are drooling over it is that it's an instance of someone who habitually hurts people getting hurt back.  It's awesome when that happens.  Gender has nothing to do with it.  Cheating men get vilified all the time, and rightly so.

On top of that, it's also like... weirdly good soap opera drama.  Somehow Phil Fish is involved, even!  Holy god that guy is full of hatred!  All these random people I had no idea were friends, suddenly involved in one awesome story.  It's like watching professional wrestling or some shit.

There's even an awesome woman from the past appearing on twitter talking about good it is to see her finally get her comeuppance!  Presumably she cheated with that woman's partner too.  You can't make this stuff up!

Yes, I'm a little ashamed of myself, but man it's good.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1914 on: August 19, 2014, 08:50:19 PM

I had to look this girl up. I don't mean this in any ironic/meme-y sense.

But seriously.

2/10

Why are dudes sleeping with her to begin with?

Edit: And yes, I TRIED to cherry pick something that made her attractive. I couldn't.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1915 on: August 19, 2014, 08:55:02 PM

Like I said, I think the journalistic integrity angle is bullshit, and just people trying to make something Professional and Serious so they can pretend it's about something other than an awesome revenge story.  The reason people are drooling over it is that it's an instance of someone who habitually hurts people getting hurt back.  It's awesome when that happens.  Gender has nothing to do with it.  Cheating men get vilified all the time, and rightly so.

On top of that, it's also like... weirdly good soap opera drama.  Somehow Phil Fish is involved, even!  Holy god that guy is full of hatred!  All these random people I had no idea were friends, suddenly involved in one awesome story.  It's like watching professional wrestling or some shit.

There's even an awesome woman from the past appearing on twitter talking about good it is to see her finally get her comeuppance!  Presumably she cheated with that woman's partner too.  You can't make this stuff up!

Yes, I'm a little ashamed of myself, but man it's good.

I'm not ashamed, I take my comedy where I can.   awesome, for real

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1916 on: August 19, 2014, 08:55:37 PM

I had to look this girl up. I don't mean this in any ironic/meme-y sense.

But seriously.

2/10

Edit: And yes, I TRIED to cherry pick something that made her attractive. I couldn't.

She's not even a butterface. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #1917 on: August 19, 2014, 08:57:17 PM

She's not even a butterface.

I don't actually care that she's unattractive and dudes are sleeping with her. I just feel like all these people knew she was fake-seeing this dude (I mean really, you cheat that much, you're not seeing anybody) should have stopped to think "you know, I can do better. This bitch is the town bike."

But seriously.

2/10.

That applies to her looks, personality, and her shitty fucking games.

Edit: I don't have a problem with people who are ugly or overweight by social standards. But this girl is an attention whore and has become a public figure. I have standards for public figures. Also, umlauts are stupid.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:00:06 PM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1918 on: August 19, 2014, 09:03:06 PM

Also, this journalistic integrity shit (in the video linked) is whatever.

Gaming Journalism is journalism about as much as Reality TV is reality.

It's not.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1919 on: August 19, 2014, 09:14:19 PM

Also, I was complaining about shit like this before it was cool.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1920 on: August 19, 2014, 11:15:43 PM

Bullshit Zoe whatever discussion continued here: http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=24363.0
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1921 on: August 20, 2014, 10:28:03 AM

Gamers will fuck anything that gives them even the slightest bit of attention? I didn't think that was hard to figure out.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1922 on: August 20, 2014, 10:50:43 AM

Gamers will fuck anything that gives them even the slightest bit of attention? I didn't think that was hard to figure out.
Pretty sure everyone here is a gamer and I'm also pretty sure most of us have standards that the Zoe chick does not meet in any capacity.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1923 on: August 20, 2014, 11:47:19 AM

Prepare your jokes about my standards...

Assuming I didn't know the personality details.  That's a bigger turn-off than square nails.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
schild
Administrator

Reply #1924 on: August 20, 2014, 11:50:33 AM

I said "most of us." That wasn't a slight about standards. That was merely a response to Haemish about "gamers will fuck anything."
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: