Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 05:58:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 761783 times)
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #3360 on: August 09, 2014, 02:56:24 PM

It's back, they got it working again a couple days later.

The only things I liked about SWTOR were the class story line, one or two of the planet story lines and for some reason I found the ship fighting pretty fun even though most people hated the on rails nature of it.  If you like story line and quests ESO is way better than SWTOR.  At least launch SWTOR I don't know about the changes since f2p.

If ESO hadn't launched with so many bugs, bad inventory, bad auction house system and bad Veteran system it would have been well received.  The core questing is some of the best I've ever seen.  Exploration is amazing, there is something hidden around every bend.  The skill system is pretty good 1-50.  Persistent PvP in cyrodiil.  If you liked the elder scrolls or fallout you should love questing in ESO so long as you don't freak out about there being other people around.  I would highly recommend the game to those people when the next steam sale has it at at least half price, just go through either Ebonheart or Daggerfall 1-50 and then quit.

I really feel like they got halfway to an amazing mmo and then made a bunch of stupid rookie mistakes that ruined it.

I would definitely put this on my list of will try after a couple months of patches.   They should put it on steam.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3361 on: August 09, 2014, 03:56:25 PM

I would definitely put this on my list of will try after a couple months of patches.   They should put it on steam.

They actually put it on Steam somewhat recently.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #3362 on: August 09, 2014, 07:54:40 PM

The only things I liked about SWTOR were the class story line, one or two of the planet story lines and for some reason I found the ship fighting pretty fun even though most people hated the on rails nature of it.  If you like story line and quests ESO is way better than SWTOR.  At least launch SWTOR; I don't know about the changes since f2p.

The changes SWTOR has made since launch (including the F2P) have simply improved quality-of-life stuff: easier XP, easier to outfit your alts via the legacy system, class / talent rebalances to make them do more DPS and be a bit more fun, and a large influx of equipment from the cartel microtransaction system.   I'm playing alts 1-50 (not even to max level) solely for the story lines, and there have been ZERO changes to those.  

With the voice acting and the companions, the story questing is pretty good for several classes; are you really saying that ESO is so much better?
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3363 on: August 10, 2014, 12:25:19 AM

The changes SWTOR has made since launch (including the F2P) have simply improved quality-of-life stuff: easier XP, easier to outfit your alts via the legacy system, class / talent rebalances to make them do more DPS and be a bit more fun, and a large influx of equipment from the cartel microtransaction system.   I'm playing alts 1-50 (not even to max level) solely for the story lines, and there have been ZERO changes to those.  

With the voice acting and the companions, the story questing is pretty good for several classes; are you really saying that ESO is so much better?

I know the question wasn't intended for me, but having played SWTOR at launch and TESO recently, I'd say TESO is better for questing. It's the first MMO I remember that didn't have typical MMO quests. Though I wouldn't say it's a whole lot better than SWTOR in that regard. SWTOR handled that pretty well too.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3364 on: August 10, 2014, 01:00:06 AM

I leveled 4 characters to max level in SWTOR and managed to get to level 12 on three separate attempts in TESO.  It's obvious to me which game was better.  The fact I'm not a fan of the Elder Scrolls franchise may have something to do with it as well.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #3365 on: August 10, 2014, 11:47:22 AM

I know the question wasn't intended for me, but having played SWTOR at launch and TESO recently, I'd say TESO is better for questing. It's the first MMO I remember that didn't have typical MMO quests. Though I wouldn't say it's a whole lot better than SWTOR in that regard. SWTOR handled that pretty well too.

What are its atypical MMO quests?
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3366 on: August 11, 2014, 09:34:54 AM

What are its atypical MMO quests?

The lack of gathering quests first off. I can't imagine I've done none at all, but it sure seems like it. Lots of quests lead you to little dungeons all over the place and then to killing a "boss". A few have you stealing a disguise and wearing it to bypass enemies. Sometimes you're retrieving an item, but it's just different. Obviously, I'm not all that good at using words to explain things, but there you go.  awesome, for real

I dunno. It just feels more single player in how it handles quests than any MMO I've ever played. As to whether that's enough to keep me subscribed, it's hard to say. It absolutely does questing well though.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3367 on: August 13, 2014, 11:49:02 AM

SWTOR is a great DIKU game if you only do the planet/class storyline and if you find yourself behind in experience do PVP or Dungeons.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3368 on: August 13, 2014, 12:18:52 PM

And Starfighter. (Which IIRC is not limited for non-subscribers, either.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
WayAbvPar

Reply #3369 on: August 13, 2014, 02:58:50 PM

SWTOR is a great DIKU game if you only do the planet/class storyline and if you find yourself behind in experience do PVP or Dungeons.

Did they ever fix PvP for melees classes? Leveled a sniper to 50, switched to Jedi and literally quit after my 2nd PvP match.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #3370 on: August 13, 2014, 05:25:49 PM

Did they ever fix PvP for melees classes? Leveled a sniper to 50, switched to Jedi and literally quit after my 2nd PvP match.

There were melee classes that were good in PvP all along, but I believe the current preferred ones are assassins/shadows. I also see a fair number of Jedi Guardians. A good DPS operative can be a huge pain in the ass too, but it's not something I have the patience for getting the hang of (I prefer being an OP'd healer instead).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:28:14 PM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3371 on: August 14, 2014, 10:54:53 AM

You must not have been the 'lol force sweep' spec.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3372 on: August 14, 2014, 11:08:35 AM

You must not have been the 'lol force sweep' spec.

I thought the same thing.  That was a nightmare before they nerfed it.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3373 on: August 14, 2014, 04:24:02 PM

It's lolsmash people , get it right!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3374 on: August 14, 2014, 04:25:00 PM

He said Jedi!

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #3375 on: August 14, 2014, 04:34:49 PM

That was what I was thinking of when I said there were good melee classes all along, yes. But he might've been a shadow!

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3376 on: August 14, 2014, 05:37:40 PM

That was what I was thinking of when I said there were good melee classes all along, yes. But he might've been a shadow!

Shadows were the most OP 1v1 class in PvP until the split spec got nerfed.

-  Mark Twain
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #3377 on: August 15, 2014, 01:29:59 PM

That was pretty early in the game's life, though, and who knows how long it took him to hit 50 on his first character? The smashmonkey spec's nerf, on the other hand, is way more recent. They were dumb for a looooooooong time.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3378 on: August 19, 2014, 06:23:19 AM

Funny, I just started playing SWTOR on and off and I'm going to be playing a Shadow. I'm going to be doing just the Storyline/Class quests with the Planet story quests and ignoring anything else. Using some major experience pots to help me along. When I fall behind in xp, I'm going to be doing flashpoints and pvp.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3379 on: August 20, 2014, 11:03:11 AM

The test server now has the next content update, it is an expansion of their much maligned group only zone.  An example of how bad it is is the quest that takes you through the zone.  There are multiple stages where you need to find three other people who are at the exact same point as you in the quest because of phasing.  If they are a couple quests behind they are useless and worse yet if they have already done it then they can't do it again and you are out of luck.  The use of group only zones can be debated (I hate them but realize others might like it) but not being able to do it even if you have a group is absolutely idiotic.  Also, so far all of their content updates have been group only content, nothing to do solo.

They are also raising the level cap to VR14, that's not going over well.  Now everyone knows not to bother crafting or getting new gear because you will want to replace it in another month or so.  To their credit crafted gear is quite good in the end game but to get the very highest quality requires a lot of expensive rare mats so either you will now horde them until later or get pissed off that you already used them.

This game really makes me appreciate that WoW had the item progression treadmill down to a science.  You don't just increase the max level from 60 to 62 in the middle of an expansion, you have an ilvl system tied to very specific tiers and activities.  You make the gear something people enjoyed obtaining so when the next raid comes out with higher ilvls people are excited for it instead of screaming about how everything they created so far is now 'useless'.

I feel like the more group content and increased level cap are happening because that was their plan before launch and they don't have the flexibility to change their course based on how things have turned out.  People do not like their group content.  Their grouping systems suck, the rewards are mediocre and it is even buggier than their solo content because now there are four people involved each time.  I imagine they wanted to save things everyone wants like thief and assassin guild content for future expansions but at this rate the game won't be popular enough to have expansions so they might want to make use of that content now.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3380 on: August 21, 2014, 05:39:53 AM

awesome, for real 

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3381 on: August 21, 2014, 05:41:45 AM

Even more proof that every MMO Dev is disconnected from their consumers.    swamp poop

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #3382 on: August 21, 2014, 06:07:49 AM

Even more proof that every MMO Dev is disconnected from their consumers.    swamp poop

Respect the vision!  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3383 on: August 21, 2014, 07:38:41 AM

Sounds like it's going swimmingly.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3384 on: August 21, 2014, 11:07:31 AM

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2014/08/21/eso-subscriber-loyalty-program

ESO Introduces Subscriber Loyalty Program

Get your High Hrothgar Wraith pet and other rewards as a thank you for subscribing!

Since launch, we’ve loved sharing the adventure of ESO with you as you explore ever-growing Tamriel. There’s so much more on the horizon, but we think it’s important to give some special recognition to those of you who have already been there every step of the way.

Starting in September, we’ll begin emailing all eligible paid subscribers about the first of our loyalty rewards. Every paid account that has been subscribed for three months (excluding game time included with your purchase of ESO and any additional complimentary game time) will receive a High Hrothgar Wraith vanity pet that will let you show your dedication to saving Tamriel wherever you adventure in-game. The loyalty program will keep expanding over time, so keep an eye out for more tokens of our gratitude if you’re a longtime player. Our next reward will be granted for those who have subscribed for six months—we’ll reveal it to you soon.

If you haven’t kept your subscription active, don’t worry. You’ll still be able to get the pets and other upcoming rewards once you meet the requirements. Stick with us, and you’ll have quite the collection to show off before long.

Thank you all for spending your time with us in Tamriel!

Hic sunt dracones.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #3385 on: August 21, 2014, 11:40:15 AM

Funny looking carrot.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3386 on: August 21, 2014, 11:41:33 AM

I like how they make begging look dignified.  That's a skill.

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3387 on: August 21, 2014, 11:51:12 AM

COH had that loyalty reward system that I thought was a nice idea. It's a little surprising that no other games have done it formally until now (that I'm aware of.) SWTOR occasionally tosses stuff at me but it isn't on a schedule or anything.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3388 on: August 21, 2014, 11:53:42 AM

COH had that loyalty reward system that I thought was a nice idea. It's a little surprising that no other games have done it formally until now (that I'm aware of.) SWTOR occasionally tosses stuff at me but it isn't on a schedule or anything.

I love loyalty programs.  When they get added later it starts to look a little desperate.  This should have been part of the launch... not that it would have helped.

-  Mark Twain
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3389 on: August 21, 2014, 11:56:05 AM

STO has a loyalty reward thing as well

Hic sunt dracones.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #3390 on: August 21, 2014, 12:09:09 PM

Rift had a really nice/elaborate one, but since it went F2P the loyalty rewards are tied to # months subscribed and/or $ spent. Consequently, it feels less like a loyalty bonus and more like black hole for real money. Getting to the highest loyalty levels involves spending thousands on the game. The perks they've introduced to higher tiers since F2P have felt pretty cheap too: instead of a nice mount or cosmetic armor set, it's stuff like cooldown reduction on non-combat abilities.

It was a really nice example of a loyalty system when it was introduced though.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3391 on: August 21, 2014, 03:08:16 PM

UO had vet/loyalty rewards for a long long long time. FFXIV also has them.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3392 on: August 21, 2014, 03:54:09 PM

COH had that loyalty reward system that I thought was a nice idea. It's a little surprising that no other games have WoW hasn't done it formally until now (that I'm aware of.) SWTOR occasionally tosses stuff at me but it isn't on a schedule or anything.
FIFY. Add EQ2 to the list of games that have had it for forever.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #3393 on: August 22, 2014, 01:01:01 AM

loyalty rewards are also often part of the transition to f2p so that the hardcore stay subscribed.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #3394 on: August 22, 2014, 04:02:49 AM

SWG (yes I went there) also had one around NGE time (might have been slightly before because I got a couple of bits from it but quit soon after NGE hit)
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: