Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 01:48:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 761777 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1365 on: July 03, 2013, 04:42:17 PM

If they're pure programmers, thinking isn't high on their priority list...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1366 on: July 18, 2013, 03:43:30 PM

well turns out I know two entirely unrelated groups working on the game. WHEE
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1367 on: July 19, 2013, 11:13:35 AM

well turns out I know two entirely unrelated groups working on the game. WHEE

Always a good sign! awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1368 on: July 19, 2013, 11:25:30 AM

Make sure to have hugs, booze, and resume advice ready when this thing launches.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1369 on: July 22, 2013, 04:38:01 AM

Wouldn't I want to provide that regardless of outcome?

I should add a masseuse too.
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1370 on: August 05, 2013, 11:08:50 AM

So, what did you guys think of the Quakecon playthrough?  I wasn't surprised, cause it looked just like the 45 minute beta leak that was on torrent.

Graphically it looks fine to me - nothing revolutionary.  I'm hoping RVR is good.

Oh, it's here if you missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXJ0dwhijSg
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1371 on: August 05, 2013, 11:31:21 AM

First footage I've seen, and I think it looks a lot better than I was led to believe from the descriptions of the leaked footage. More interested in this game than I was before. (Still mad I can't play an Imperial.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1372 on: August 05, 2013, 02:11:02 PM

I'm somewhat interested in any new MMO that offers large-scale pvp like rvr. ESO promises that but I haven't heard anything solid on how it looks to be doing in that department yet.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1373 on: August 05, 2013, 02:40:44 PM

That still looks like it should be competing with age of conan to me, not Wildstar or Guild Wars 2.

I am the .00000001428%
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1374 on: August 21, 2013, 07:46:54 AM

announced officially: subscription model
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1375 on: August 21, 2013, 07:55:37 AM

Good luck to them.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1376 on: August 21, 2013, 07:59:43 AM

Errgh, this is going to be horrendous.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #1377 on: August 21, 2013, 08:05:00 AM

announced officially: subscription model

Hah, fail.  Start a contest on how long after launch they go F2P?  I'll try it then.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1378 on: August 21, 2013, 09:52:08 AM

Baffled they didn't take the GW2 route.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1379 on: August 21, 2013, 10:29:05 AM

This would have been a better option for the way this title is being developed.  I agree.  Fans of the Elder Scrolls brand would be more likely to pay a box cost than a recurring sub.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #1380 on: August 21, 2013, 10:37:27 AM

This would have been a better option for the way this title is being developed.  I agree.  Fans of the Elder Scrolls brand would be more likely to pay a box cost than a recurring sub.

Are they doing a pure sub model, or box+subs?
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1381 on: August 21, 2013, 11:06:19 AM

Are they doing a pure sub model, or box+subs?

Box + subs + Console Subscription required (For PS4/Xbox One)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1382 on: August 21, 2013, 11:38:09 AM

Yep, fuck a bunch of this one. Need a double flipping the bid emoticon.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1383 on: August 21, 2013, 11:46:53 AM

This is going to be a case study.  why so serious?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1384 on: August 21, 2013, 11:59:09 AM

When is this due out? I need to make sure I have stocked up on my  Popcorn
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #1385 on: August 21, 2013, 01:01:55 PM

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1386 on: August 21, 2013, 01:19:08 PM

One year from release I'd love to see this vs wildstar to see if one or both switch to F2P.

I'll put money on this going F2P and wildstar being subs still.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1387 on: August 21, 2013, 04:23:55 PM

How much money?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1388 on: August 21, 2013, 08:43:58 PM

Good luck with that. And I thought I had no interest before this news.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #1389 on: August 22, 2013, 04:16:18 AM

So much this.  If any community would be willing to pay 3 dollars for a pixelated jaunty hat it would be the Elder Scrolls fanatics. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1390 on: August 22, 2013, 09:48:08 AM

How much money?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

$15 game on steam of your choice.  1year after release ESO is F2P and Wildstar is not.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1391 on: August 22, 2013, 10:14:15 AM

So PS4 gets the exclusive open beta to this?  Why does that not seem like a good thing.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #1392 on: August 22, 2013, 05:19:56 PM

Is anyone really put off by subscriptions if you enjoy the game?  Vendors almost always include a free month with the box so you rarely even pay the subscription if its horrible.  I can't tell you how many f2p games of late I have enjoyed enough that I would love to have the option to pay the sub so I could enjoy cash shop goodies without having to dole out cash on a whim.  I get *why* in 2013 a subscription model seems to indicate massive failure, but lets be fair, if the game is good, a subscription model is absolutely the best model for us, the gamers.  That being said, if it sucks who cares what payment model it has.  
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:21:54 PM by Senses »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1393 on: August 22, 2013, 06:02:38 PM

It's all perception. If TESO turns out awesome, we'll suck it up and pay the subs fee, because we're all jonesing for a game good enough for us to want to pay it.

For now it's another nail in the coffin of interest for what continues to look like a generic MMO rather than a good persistent world or small-multiplayer version of the Skyrim we want.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1394 on: August 22, 2013, 08:53:15 PM

Is anyone really put off by subscriptions if you enjoy the game?

That's a pretty heavy "if" for me.  Not that the game will automatically suck, but I'm hesitant to try it when it's sub based.  I always feel more like I'm "renting" the game than I do in an F2P game, where it feels more like I'm buying sparkle ponies or whatever and even if I don't pay any more ever, I still feel like I "own" that content.  Paying a sub means I have to keep re-evaluating if I'm getting my money's worth, and that means that all my other games (including single player games) are competing with it in a way that they aren't with an F2P title.  Being asked to pay a box fee on top of that is enough to encourage me to wait for others to take the plunge first.

If I pay $100 on skins for LoL or Dota, and I never spend another cent, I can still access that content for however long the game is running.  If I pay $100 on a sub for WoW and then cancel, I can't access anything.  Everything I spent on the game, including the original box price, is money wasted.

If it turns out the game is mind blowingly awesome, I'll probably buy it anyway, sure, but I'm not going to play early adopter on this one, I don't think.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1395 on: August 22, 2013, 08:59:28 PM

Everything I spent on the game, including the original box price, is money wasted.

I find this attitude really weird. If you go to see a play or a movie, is that money automatically wasted? I mean, you can't go see it again without paying. Entertainment dollars don't buy things, they buy time spent enjoying yourself.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #1396 on: August 22, 2013, 09:12:07 PM

Yeah my thinking is just so completely different.  I'm prepared to spend money on my hobby and I realize there are a number of ways the industry has of charging me.  When I pay into a sub game I feel like i'm joining a club...a commitment to invest in that world.  I pay a standard fee and get a standard service, hopefully.

F2P's, on the other hand, are big elaborate marketing ploys where they try to trick me into believing I'm playing a game, when really, I'm just walking through a flea market where everywhere I turn there is an offer to spend more money. Granted, this is my perception, but in a perfect world I'd much rather pay a sub for a quality game, then pay nothing for half of one.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1397 on: August 22, 2013, 09:39:20 PM

Everything I spent on the game, including the original box price, is money wasted.

I find this attitude really weird. If you go to see a play or a movie, is that money automatically wasted? I mean, you can't go see it again without paying. Entertainment dollars don't buy things, they buy time spent enjoying yourself.

It's hard to make broad generalizations like that.  Movies aren't really analogous to games in every respect.  For example, a movie is non-interactive, while a game is interactive, so killing my ability to interact with a game is a bigger deal than killing my ability to watch a movie for the tenth time.  And subscription games are competing for market space with non-subscription games, while restricting your ability to play more than non-sub games, and costing more than non-sub games, so unless they can offer more value (and they have a lot of trouble doing this consistently) why would I play them?  Theaters don't really have that problem.

And if I like a movie, I'll generally get it on DVD anyway, rather than shelling out for theater tickets again and again.  

I'm not saying that renting entertainment (or paying to go to a theater) is always bad, but if I had to choose between being able to have fun for a month or being able to have fun whenever I want, in the absence of any other considerations I'm generally going to choose the second option.
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #1398 on: August 22, 2013, 11:07:57 PM

I wouldn't say it's that weird for a genre that revolves around accruing 'virtual wealth', it's obvious a movie/play/concert is simply about the experience. Most MMO's go to great lengths to make you feel a somewhat long term investment through the character you 'own' and the goodies he collects.

I get the logic of what you're saying, but it just doesn't feel the same to me and it seems I'm not alone in this. It does feel weird to me as well now (after all the F2P/B2P alternatives) to pay a full AAA price for the box knowing I'll then have to sub as well to keep playing.
Maybe it's irrational and I would just waste that money on stuff which arguably gives me less enjoyment per € spent, but hey this is my free time, I reserve the right to be an irrational self-entitled fool; aka: a customer.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1399 on: August 23, 2013, 05:56:46 AM

It's not weird at all.  Sub-based MMOs sell "persistence" as a feature and then cut you off from the items you "bought" (SparklePony!) because you stopped paying for the sub.

Movie analogy is completely missing the selling point of SparklePony in this context Ingmar.  You don't go to a movie and buy a SparklePony.  You don't pay a movie house a sub.

In fact, I've become so disgusted with the "games is same as movie" conversation that I'm shunning everyone that brings it up.  You are now shunned.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: