Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 02:08:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Tron Legacy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tron Legacy  (Read 138347 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: February 09, 2011, 08:42:37 AM

Re-read what I wrote. None of those songs was instantly connectable until the movies themselves became iconic. Either you missed that point or you be trollin'

I'm not defending Daft Punk or their score, I actually kind of agree with you on the fact that it's not going to be memorable. The reason it's not going to be memorable is because the movie will probably not stand the test of time the way every one of those movies you named did.

I believe thats part of the criteria of the awards.

BW is arguing that tron was an awful soundtrack because it didn't have a memorable theme, yet most of the tracks which won best original song came from soundtracks that were utterly dire.

I did not say awful. The entire score was kind of "there".
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:44:16 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: February 09, 2011, 08:49:43 AM

Yeah, but then you said it was trounced by the Spice World soundtrack  why so serious?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: February 09, 2011, 08:53:44 AM

Yeah, but then you said it was trounced by the Spice World soundtrack  why so serious?

Wasn't it?  why so serious?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: February 09, 2011, 08:58:25 AM

I will maintain my point that there is a significant and important difference between a great soundtrack and a great (theme) song. BW is arguing that tron was an awful soundtrack because it didn't have a memorable theme, yet most of the tracks which won best original song came from soundtracks that were utterly dire.

I also disagree with you about CTHD vs Gladiator, but that's really just a matter of taste.

Taste? What's taste got to do with it? You can't bring "matter of taste" into this debate - this is F13!  why so serious?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: February 09, 2011, 09:04:13 AM

Who needs taste when you have awards shows.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: February 09, 2011, 11:10:00 AM

How can you have ignored queen's highlander and Flash Gordon soundtracks?

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: February 09, 2011, 01:34:59 PM

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #392 on: February 09, 2011, 01:46:25 PM

Oh man, thanks for quoting that.  I'd entirely missed it in the midst of that last page or two of hurf blurf. 

Thread redeemed.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: February 10, 2011, 01:10:36 AM

Yeah, but then you said it was trounced by the Spice World soundtrack  why so serious?

It was.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:14:16 AM by Sand »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #394 on: February 10, 2011, 03:01:05 AM

Oh man, thanks for quoting that.  I'd entirely missed it in the midst of that last page or two of hurf blurf. 

Thread redeemed.

I contribute when I can...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: February 10, 2011, 10:42:33 AM

Re-read what I wrote. None of those songs was instantly connectable until the movies themselves became iconic. Either you missed that point or you be trollin'

I'm not defending Daft Punk or their score, I actually kind of agree with you on the fact that it's not going to be memorable. The reason it's not going to be memorable is because the movie will probably not stand the test of time the way every one of those movies you named did.

If for some reason Tron: Legacy becomes iconic as a film, I believe that some of the tracks will be instantly recognizable as that process takes hold. So I agree with Surlyboi. The Star Wars theme becomes memorable when you've seen the film 15 times in the summer of 1977, because how could it not be memorable? The really rare thing is that film which you have seen repeatedly has a score so forgettable that it doesn't stick with you.

There are other logics by which you might award something--some idea of intrinsic originality and craftsmanship, for example. But by that measure, most film scores wouldn't really qualify, or we'd only be awarding more obscure films. If the criteria is "powerful accompaniment to and match with a film, a score which is memorable as the film become memorable", the Tron score is at least equal to the films nominated for this year. And equal, I think, to recent nominations--that list of the last six years is a pretty serious kick in the crotch to the Bloodworth "It has to be instantly iconic!" theory of nominations.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: February 10, 2011, 10:53:50 AM

I only saw Star Wars once in 1976 and the theme and the bar music were instantly memorable to me.

I would put the Indiana Jones music in the same category.  Probably "over the rainbow" as well, but not in a good way.  "Live and Let Die" is more of a case of a great tune making a under-performing bond flick memorable (and I love Bond). 

I'd say Goldfinger probably proves the point that you are trying to make.  It is a crappy song, but it's instantly memorable anyway and you (me) end up liking it because the film is so good... wait, that's not your point.

Ok, I'm lost, I just wanted to say you were wrong about the Star Wars theme (and Indian Jones).
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: February 10, 2011, 11:17:52 AM

Die Another Day was the worst Bond theme ever.

I know, this has nothng to do with nothing, but hey, it's me.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #398 on: February 10, 2011, 01:46:22 PM

This is largely a chicken/egg argument.  Was the music iconic because of the film or did it contribute to the overall iconic nature.  Regardless, shit music is shit music, regardless of how recognizable it is. 
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: February 10, 2011, 04:07:26 PM

Ride of the Valkyries was iconic well before Apocalypse now, although it was appropriately paired with that film.

With respect to scores, I'm not sure.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: February 11, 2011, 04:47:10 AM

Neckbeards like me sometimes talk about paratext, basically meaning that we all end up knowing a lot about commercially-produced culture we haven't seen or read because we get all sorts of incidental, ubiquitious exposure to it through other media. If you were a kid or a teen in 1977 when Star Wars came out and you somehow managed to never see it, you would nevertheless have to live in a cave not to "know" it through paratext. You'd still almost certainly know when you saw his picture who Darth Vader was and what his name was: think of the thousands of editorial cartoons he's been in, the Halloween costumes you'd have seen at your door, the posters, the ads on TV, the critics reviewing the film, the times that someone was compared to Darth Vader in the newspaper, and so on. You wouldn't know about his real name or the scene where he chokes a guy or that he looked like Humpty Dumpty when his helmet came off, but you'd know the picture and the name and something of what he "meant" without ever seeing the film.

The music is like that as well: it's been fucking everywhere. The Indiana Jones theme is another one: it's been used in trailers for other films on occasion (so has Zimmer's Pirates of the Caribbean score), it's often used as a musical flourish for little satiric or amusing bits on local evening news, it pops up in all sorts of small paratextual places. Now I'm not saying that's got nothing to do with the music itself: Williams genuinely writes memorable riffs and bits, no matter what classical pieces he's ransacked to find them. He's a great remixer in an age of cultural remixing, and by such means, achieves lasting originality. But the thing is, some of the things we all remember, including music, we remember in a way whether we've seen the film or not, because they're repeated constantly across a broad cultural space. You couldn't not know them, really. That's what "iconic" is: it's not instant greatness. You can see a film that totally blows you away with its greatness and find ten years later that it's not at all iconic, because even if everyone thought it was great, they don't constantly repeat or reprise anything about it in the rest of the culture.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #401 on: February 11, 2011, 11:31:51 AM

If for some reason Tron: Legacy becomes iconic as a film

We already know it won't.  The movie left theaters and people's minds the same day.  I am talking about real people, not us.  We do not define iconic.  This argument is message board masturbation.  I expect there would be very little disagreement about what movies in the last 20 years are iconic if you polled random people in the street who are old enough to know the movies.

I have never played WoW.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: February 11, 2011, 12:25:20 PM

There are other logics by which you might award something--some idea of intrinsic originality and craftsmanship, for example. But by that measure, most film scores wouldn't really qualify, or we'd only be awarding more obscure films. If the criteria is "powerful accompaniment to and match with a film, a score which is memorable as the film become memorable", the Tron score is at least equal to the films nominated for this year. And equal, I think, to recent nominations--that list of the last six years is a pretty serious kick in the crotch to the Bloodworth "It has to be instantly iconic!" theory of nominations.

The nearest thing to guidelines for an original score are: "The work’s eligibility shall be evaluated on its effectiveness, craftsmanship, creative substance and relevance to the dramatic whole."

This year, there were 77 scores that were eligible for in the Best Original Score soundtrack. That doesn't include Black Swan, True Grit, The Fighter, The Kids Are Alright, Toy Story 3 or Tangled (first 4 were disqualified, latter 2 weren't entered). Of those 77, only 5 maximum can get nominated. Tron's soundtrack may have been the 6th and lost out on a nomination by half a point (votings based on an average point system). The difference is between whether the voters were like Bloodworth or like Khaldun.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #403 on: February 11, 2011, 12:31:51 PM

To be fair to the nominations, I haven't heard any of them.  They may be truly better than Tron Legacy's soundtrack, but I was quite impressed with the music that Daft Punk put together.  You're right though, if the folks that picked think it didn't deserve the nomination, then it didn't deserve it. 
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: February 15, 2011, 08:00:59 AM

Well, there aren't very strong themes to the music. It's like the music from Dark Knight. They composed it specifically so it didn't have a melody. There's four notes that play when Batman is on the BatBike, but that's it. Four notes.

Tron Legacy, there's the tune that plays during the light cycle match, when the lightcycles group up and turn around in formation. And...that's it. Even the club fight, which you'd think would have a strong theme, is just a backbeat. There's literally no melody. They go nn-tse nn-tse nn-tse for a few minutes.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #405 on: February 15, 2011, 08:20:13 AM

Well, there aren't very strong themes to the music. It's like the music from Dark Knight. They composed it specifically so it didn't have a melody. There's four notes that play when Batman is on the BatBike, but that's it. Four notes.

Tron Legacy, there's the tune that plays during the light cycle match, when the lightcycles group up and turn around in formation. And...that's it. Even the club fight, which you'd think would have a strong theme, is just a backbeat. There's literally no melody. They go nn-tse nn-tse nn-tse for a few minutes.

The opening music in the Dark Knight right before the bank heist is pretty iconic if you liked the Dark Knight. Good points though.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: February 16, 2011, 06:07:32 PM

This is quite true. To go back to Star Wars, you could walk out of a theater humming that music because it has a strong melody. With Tron Legacy you might sort of be slapping your thigh to the beat as you walked out but it doesn't have the same oomph that other orchestral scores have. I liked it but can totally see why it got skipped by the Academy. Though, really, the Academy Awards are bullshit anyway so why does anyone care?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: February 28, 2011, 05:36:29 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0FwEmUycYI

If you don't think this is strongly thematic, your fucking ears are wrong. I'm sorry. The main theme is a recurring leitmotif throughout the movie. Deftly picking heavy techno action scenes to make your point is misleading and disingenuous.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: February 28, 2011, 10:54:33 AM

What "main theme"? That sounds like a bunch of random notes. There are much stronger themes in the heavy action scenes I cited than there are in that dudududududududududududududududu you linked to.

NOTE THAT I AM NOT SAYING IT IS BAD AND IN FACT IF I COULD MAKE MANBABIES WITH DAFT PUNK I WOULD.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #409 on: February 28, 2011, 01:54:37 PM

Look at what won best score last night. The Social Network. Elevator music for the angsty.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: February 28, 2011, 03:46:43 PM

swamp poop

Someone needs to make a Tron grid ffffuuuu guy....

Mob

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #411 on: February 28, 2011, 05:48:36 PM

I actually think it's pretty cool that Trent Reznor won. He's come a long way from writing the music for Quake Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #412 on: February 28, 2011, 07:27:19 PM

He's also got tons of connections after years of working the Hollywood scene.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: February 28, 2011, 10:07:57 PM

Just to make a comment to the little slapfight:

Soundtrack (the CD everyone is buying) and Score (the background music for the entire film) are not the same thing. Some times the soundtrack album you buy does contain large parts of the score, but most times not.

There are 2 oscar categories: Best Song (single song, usually the iconic Celine Dion Titanic crap) and Best Score (the traditionally classical stuff that plays to enhance and emphasize action on screen).

Everyone seems to be talking about iconic songs while comparing that to an entire score.

That being said, I agree with Ironwood about that piece of shit Madonna Bond theme.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: March 01, 2011, 02:58:05 AM

I actually think it's pretty cool that Trent Reznor won. He's come a long way from writing the music for Quake Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I was shocked to see his Oscar photo. I mean wtf happened to this sell out?!?  why so serious? I still remember his first PHM tour I saw the show in Cleveland and he had punked hair and was in a fucking cage spitting on us. *sigh* Life was so much different then  Heartbreak

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: March 01, 2011, 08:55:40 PM

I was shocked to see his Oscar photo. I mean wtf happened to this sell out?!?  why so serious? I still remember his first PHM tour I saw the show in Cleveland and he had punked hair and was in a fucking cage spitting on us. *sigh* Life was so much different then  Heartbreak

1: He's not gigging. Not gigging = Trent gets chubby
2: He's happily married. Happily married = Trent gets chubby

He was bullnecked and brawny a couple of years ago when I saw NIN's last gig in the UK.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
taleril
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: March 02, 2011, 02:09:19 PM

Shamelessly stolen from reddit.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #417 on: March 03, 2011, 11:45:37 PM

Fucking brilliant.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: March 14, 2011, 02:43:23 PM

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/tron-3/teaser-trailer

Being described as a "teaser trailer" but it's really a viral featurette like the ones leading up to Legacy. Interesting to see what's become of RAM....

Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: March 14, 2011, 03:59:37 PM

Shamelessly stolen from reddit.

That makes me feel conflicted considering I saw him on the first tour after PHM was released, and then again when Downward came out. Amazed that man is standing there in a tux receiving an Oscar so good on him, but really wonder what his younger self would think of it all.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Tron Legacy  
Jump to: