Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:15:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Tron Legacy 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tron Legacy  (Read 138342 times)
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: January 03, 2011, 03:51:22 PM

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: January 04, 2011, 06:11:31 AM

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: January 04, 2011, 10:53:23 AM

Ooooh. I think I thought that at first and then started confusing myself by thinking too hard on it. Thanks  smiley

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #318 on: January 04, 2011, 10:55:16 AM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #319 on: January 04, 2011, 12:42:07 PM

Saw this last week in 3D. This was the first time I've seen a 3D movie with these types of glasses and I wasn't impressed. The 3D effects were good but the 3D was better on the trailers than in the actual movie. The movie itself was way too dark, almost like the glasses were foggy. I had to continuallly try to wipe them clean. I enjoyed the story but you definitely have to try hard not to think too much on it. It was fun, as good as the first, but I look forward to seeing the 2D version in HD.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: January 04, 2011, 01:12:25 PM

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: January 04, 2011, 01:20:25 PM

Memories can trick you. I'd need to see the scene again to know for sure.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: January 04, 2011, 01:24:43 PM

Memories can trick you. I'd need to see the scene again to know for sure.

Yes, and I've seen this particular scene interpreted both ways so who knows, I may be an unreliable witness.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: January 04, 2011, 01:53:21 PM

It didn't stand out to me the way certain other things did which I've mentioned in this thread. But showing a scene from the film to support a statement does a lot, for me, to dispel a notion I have. Especially with conflicting reports.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: January 04, 2011, 01:58:47 PM

It didn't stand out to me the way certain other things did which I've mentioned in this thread. But showing a scene from the film to support a statement does a lot, for me, to dispel a notion I have. Especially with conflicting reports.

I doubt if we'll be able to find that scene until it comes out on blu ray or something. It's not a big deal it's just how I remember it and it made alot of sense to me as foreshadowing.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #325 on: January 04, 2011, 02:05:22 PM

In the game, you witness the same incident from another angle.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: January 04, 2011, 02:12:18 PM

This was the first time I've seen a 3D movie with these types of glasses and I wasn't impressed.

Try IMAX 3D next time.  The digital 3D cinemas just are not up to the same level of resolution/technology as the IMAX cinemas.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: January 05, 2011, 11:38:50 PM

This was the first time I've seen a 3D movie with these types of glasses and I wasn't impressed.

Try IMAX 3D next time.  The digital 3D cinemas just are not up to the same level of resolution/technology as the IMAX cinemas.
This is true. The theatre I work at has 4 Sony Digital 3D screens and one IMAX Digital 3D screen.    Both projector type show what i believe is considered a 2K image (~2 thousand Horizontal lines), however, the Sonys only use one physical projector with an ~3000 watt bulb in it and a splitter head for the 3D effect, where as the IMAX setup actually uses 2 complete projector units each with an ~5k watt bulb in them (effectively giving you the illusion of a 4k digital image instead).   The Picture quality on the IMAX screens is just much brighter and more vivid.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: January 06, 2011, 01:36:58 AM

From what I'm reading about art vs. entertainment, film critics may be looking at the piece as art and taking it too seriously, while everyone else is looking at it as entertainment and enjoying it for what it is?

I think I'm starting to see some of the greater flaws in Tron: Legacy based on the standards being used by critics and others (Plinkett)...

http://jazzkiosk.blogspot.com/2010/12/heres-whats-wrong-with-your-tron-legacy.html

I don't agree completely with his assessment of Kevin Flynn, but he raises some honest points.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:49:32 AM by Lorekeep »

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: January 06, 2011, 02:43:41 AM

What is a fix list? If I had read the script and seen the rushes before it was released, and I had been asked, I could have single-handedly fixed this movie and it would be in the high-80's on Rotten Tomatoes with a long, profitable box office run due to glowing word-of-mouth.

*snerk* Sure buddy.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: January 06, 2011, 09:22:12 AM

From what I'm reading about art vs. entertainment, film critics may be looking at the piece as art and taking it too seriously, while everyone else is looking at it as entertainment and enjoying it for what it is?

This coming from the guy who said....
You must not be into literature. I bet you thought Gulliver's Travels was some story about a dude that kept going to all these strange places which made for a "meh" story.

It is just a movie, one that has proven to be not very popular or critically acclaimed. You seem to be the one reading all these deeper meanings into and mentally masturbating over the whole thing.
I agree with every critique I read from the link you posted from jazzkiosk, ie the plot/story sucks.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: January 06, 2011, 02:01:47 PM

It is just a movie, one that has proven to be not very popular or critically acclaimed.

71% audience likes it on RottenTomatoes. 7.5 user score on Metacritic.

From what I've seen, it seems a fair bunch of people liked it, and some just had sand in their vaginas.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: January 06, 2011, 03:26:05 PM

This coming from the guy who said....
You must not be into literature. I bet you thought Gulliver's Travels was some story about a dude that kept going to all these strange places which made for a "meh" story.

It is just a movie, one that has proven to be not very popular or critically acclaimed. You seem to be the one reading all these deeper meanings into and mentally masturbating over the whole thing.
I agree with every critique I read from the link you posted from jazzkiosk, ie the plot/story sucks.

Maybe you didn't realize this, or you don't care, but you've been coming off like an elitist prick who is too important to explain himself. What was especially insulting was your follow-up to me after I answered your question about the food. I was enjoying thinking about the metaphors of the world and some of the imagery used *which is completely separate from the plot and unrealistic characters*.

With new input from other sources, my opinions have changed as I focused on more than just the visual metaphor and ham-fisted imagery. I agree that there were things that appeared that required knowledge not explained in the film and required critical analysis, which would be immersion breaking and take you out of the film.

No, I don't think my comparison to Gulliver's Travels is apt anymore, and I apolgize, but I didn't understand exactly what you meant by your very detailed and elaborate review of the problems you had with the film. I'll summarize it for you: "meh"
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 03:31:21 PM by Lorekeep »

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: January 06, 2011, 04:53:53 PM

Just got back from this.

Totally agree with Haemish about the 3D - would much rather have seen it in 2D.

Enjoyed it overall but it's definitely flawed.  Story was by the numbers - very predictable and definitely a bit weak but not terrible. Probably my main issue is that Sam Flynn was too sterile and bland. He had no significant flaws, displayed little to no emotion and for most, if not all, of the third act was a very passive protagonist.

But... loved the visuals, loved the soundtrack and sound design, thought CLU was really well done, liked Jeff Bridges, thought Michael Sheen was superbly over the top. Also Olivia Wilde, Beau Garrett. Action was pretty good and quite frankly, I enjoyed it as much as the original, if not more. I didn't enjoy it enough to go full Lorekeep and analyze it to death though.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

As for the direction, to be quite honest, for someone making his directorial debut on a film with a $300m budget, I think Joseph Kosinski did really well. It's a fucking huge responsibility and I have no doubt that the Disney suits were looking over his shoulder watching every move.

EDIT: Sat in a theatre with a load of obvious geeks and I was the only person who even sniggered at the Wargames reference. So disappointed!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:58:01 PM by DraconianOne »

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #334 on: January 10, 2011, 09:40:05 PM

Sand and Lorekeep.

Shut up, please.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: January 11, 2011, 10:20:20 AM

They did, five days ago.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: January 11, 2011, 10:21:12 AM

They're not some Comic Book Serial Villian...

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: January 11, 2011, 03:25:01 PM

I see what you did there.  Your internet is in the mail.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #338 on: January 11, 2011, 03:29:25 PM

They did, five days ago.

Just to be safe.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #339 on: January 27, 2011, 11:08:14 PM

I have yet to see, or even sniff, the movie.  However, the soundtrack is kick ass. 
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: January 28, 2011, 06:53:14 AM

I have yet to see, or even sniff, the movie.  However, the soundtrack is kick ass. 

And yet inexplicably snubbed in the Oscar Nominations.

*boggle*

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: January 28, 2011, 07:04:00 AM

Michael Sheen

Dear god, I thought that was Simon Pegg. Wow, did I get that wrong.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #342 on: February 03, 2011, 08:12:56 PM

So did I.

I've enjoyed the movie enough to have seen it 3 times in IMAX. It also helps that I get to hear the soundtrack on that glorious sound system.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: February 04, 2011, 05:44:00 AM

Michael Sheen

I have made this mistake too; they do bear more than just a passing resemblance to each other.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: February 04, 2011, 11:53:48 AM

Michael Sheen was Zuse?

I was wondering where they found a spare Ziggy Stardust.   awesome, for real
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: February 05, 2011, 02:18:01 PM

The Oscar snub to the soundtrack and the visuals is pretty baffling. Especially the soundtrack.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: February 06, 2011, 08:16:20 AM

The Oscar snub to the soundtrack and the visuals is pretty baffling. Especially the soundtrack.

The Oscars are not about quality or anything else. They're about politics. Even if the show wasn't hours and hours of boredom I wouldn't watch it because they generally award the wrong actors/movies/directors/etc with awards.

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: February 07, 2011, 09:15:16 AM

Because it was electronica/pop music? Nothing original ala Star Wars theme and nothing hit making ala Titanic theme?
ie nothing new or special to see?
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: February 07, 2011, 09:26:24 PM

I knew a music professor who once told me that her orchestral colleagues thought John Williams was just a derivative bottom feeder creating pop. Just sayin'.

edit: redundant ninja strikes twice
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:33:11 PM by stu »

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #349 on: February 08, 2011, 07:26:30 AM

Everyone hates success.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Considering the Oscars are all about being seen, rubbing elbows with 'your betters' and politics, the snub to Daft Punk shouldn't be shocking.  Guys who go around in Robot suits keeping as low a profile as is possible with such a gimmick aren't who the Academy wants to associate with.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Tron Legacy  
Jump to: