Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 06:46:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Tron Legacy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tron Legacy  (Read 139626 times)
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: December 23, 2010, 11:36:16 AM

You think that's air they're breathing?

Like making programs into humans, the world was likely designed to make it acceptable to a human brain's needs. Their brain *thinks* it needs oxygen and food (part of its programming!), so they create a representation of it to satisfy the brain.

Imagine if they were able to break the *core* programming of their brain and went back into the real world. Spending the rest of your life having to physically make yourself breathe and never knowing when you're hungry until you collapse because you have no energy.

Kevin could make food out of thin air, and had been doing it for (digital) millenia. Even though eating and breathing were just supplying their digital selves with energy from the computer, it needed some way for them to accept it without their brains breaking.

Uhm while a great attempt at trying to cram Matrix mythology into this movie, no just no. The very FIRST thing I would want to do while living in a digital world would be to stop eating, drinking and having to get rid of waste materials. This is like claiming that if I were playing WoW in an immersive virtual reality I would want to make my paladin go poop/pee after beating Onyxia.

And having read some of your last posts in this thread, you are REALLY over thinking this movie. So uhm Im not going to get into a nerd fight with you about it. I was just stating my personal opinion, which is I thought the scene (and many other things as pointed out by the Penny Arcade comic linked) broke immersion and made for a "meh" movie.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: December 23, 2010, 11:43:07 AM

Saw it last night. Thought it was "meh". The Penny Arcade comic summed a lot of it up.
The food thing broke immersion for me, why would you even need food in a digital world?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: December 23, 2010, 11:51:08 AM

The very FIRST thing I would want to do while living in a digital world would be to stop eating, drinking and having to get rid of waste materials.

You can WANT it, and you can TRY to stop eating, drinking, and removing waste materials. In return, your body would respond by wrecking your shit, and your brain would keep screaming at you about what you need to function. Eating / Drinking / Breathing in the digital space was a visual translation of the act of their digital selves taking in the energy they need to function (through the perspective of how a human brain most readily accepts this process to occur).

Your WoW analogy misses the point by a mile.

I'd also think that they didn't need to go to the restroom in there because their bodies perfectly utilized all the energy it was taking in. Only thing the system has to expel is heat.
Like it or not, in order to do what you do, you need energy being taken in as you expend energy to exist. In life, it's food, water, air, and you create waste. In the digital space, you're just taking in energy, but how it's done remains consistent with the rendering of the rest of the world because *that's how the human brain processed the digital reality.*

And having read some of your last posts in this thread, you are REALLY over thinking this movie. So uhm Im not going to get into a nerd fight with you about it. I was just stating my personal opinion, which is I thought the scene (and many other things as pointed out by the Penny Arcade comic linked) broke immersion and made for a "meh" movie.

You must not be into literature. I bet you thought Gulliver's Travels was some story about a dude that kept going to all these strange places which made for a "meh" story.

I think your personal opinion shows you aren't really thinking about it (like most reviewers) and rather than subject your opinion to scrutiny and debate, which would risk your Ego's integrity, you're just going to go with your gut reaction and say "It stinks!" You can't be wrong with that mindset!

I am enjoying myself thinking about what the things they displayed mean and its fascinating levels of internal consistency (minus Magical Plot Device Laser), and how it highlights elements of philosophy, psychology, and physiology.

Tycho wanted to like the movie so much, but had a spasm of focusing on the neckbeard nitpicky crap that doesn't mean a goddamn thing.

I agree with what he has to say. Some questions I could provide theories for easily, some not. I wouldn't mind seeing the answers, but for the insignificant things I can't explain and what may have been put in there to look good or advance the plot rather than being internally consistent, I am willing to look past those to address the bigger, deeper issues in play. Yeah, it's a *movie,* for fuck's sake.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:58:02 AM by Lorekeep »

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: December 23, 2010, 12:23:51 PM

Did none of you people watch the first movie?  The programs were drinking liquid energy to stay charged.  To claim that the energy water metaphor extends to energy food isn't really a stretch.  It's just that: metaphor.  Nobody's eating actual food; they don't have hamburgers in transistors.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: December 23, 2010, 12:30:23 PM

Metaphor, that was the word I was looking for. Thanks.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: December 23, 2010, 01:52:44 PM

Nobody's eating actual food; they don't have hamburgers in transistors.

Funny, when I first learned about transistors I was taught that they were like hamburgers.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #286 on: December 23, 2010, 04:00:41 PM

Saw it today. Both myself and wife (who has never seen the first one) liked it a lot. It's actually a very subtle and emotionally driven movie under all the sparkle.  Jedi Dude was seriously kick ass.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: December 25, 2010, 01:28:59 AM

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: December 25, 2010, 05:21:48 AM

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #289 on: December 25, 2010, 05:45:26 AM

I enjoyed it.  Thought they did a fantastic job of translating the visuals of the original and it was a fun ride.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: December 25, 2010, 06:43:41 AM

Like making programs into humans, the world was likely designed to make it acceptable to a human brain's needs. Their brain *thinks* it needs oxygen and food (part of its programming!), so they create a representation of it to satisfy the brain.

Imagine if they were able to break the *core* programming of their brain and went back into the real world. Spending the rest of your life having to physically make yourself breathe and never knowing when you're hungry until you collapse because you have no energy.

Your brain does not, in fact, have an autonomic response to low oxygen.

Except shutting down in totality, but that doesn't count.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 07:08:03 AM by Sheepherder »
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: December 25, 2010, 07:39:39 PM

Dont argue, obviously you just dont understand how deep this movie is.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: December 25, 2010, 07:48:54 PM

I have no idea why this is getting the critical hate that it's gotten: I really enjoyed it, way beyond popcorn-movie tolerate it for a few fleeting moments of spectacle enjoyed.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #293 on: December 25, 2010, 08:12:41 PM

I really dug this film, and echo the sentiment that the critics seem to be getting it wrong.  Even my fiancee loved it, and she rarely enjoys movies like this.  The sound design and score were spectacular.  The only thing that really disappointed me was how Sam entered the grid; for a transition it seemed a little rough.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: December 25, 2010, 09:30:08 PM

I'd be interested in hearing your idea on what a good transition for Sam would be in the digital space.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: December 25, 2010, 10:26:53 PM

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #296 on: December 25, 2010, 11:18:08 PM

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: December 25, 2010, 11:36:57 PM

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: December 26, 2010, 12:26:49 PM

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: December 26, 2010, 01:40:57 PM

This movie was damn good. It did have alot of depth under the surface but a surprising amount of people only saw the surface stuff....

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #300 on: December 26, 2010, 03:07:48 PM

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: December 26, 2010, 05:46:25 PM

Why would you spoiler that?  huh

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #302 on: December 26, 2010, 06:18:11 PM

Because it wouldn't have meant anything to those who weren't reading the spoilers anyway, just like Ghambit's comment above.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: December 26, 2010, 06:20:56 PM

Eh. I'm just looking forward to when we can stop Spoilering. ><

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #304 on: December 26, 2010, 06:29:40 PM

Are spoiler tags really that much of an inconvenience?

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: December 27, 2010, 02:46:06 AM

Dont argue, obviously you just dont understand how deep this movie is.

I'm actually amusing myself with the thought of all four people who researched it, and said to themselves "OH SHIT, REALLY?"

Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #306 on: December 27, 2010, 04:22:28 PM

Are spoiler tags really that much of an inconvenience?

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: December 27, 2010, 08:46:42 PM

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #308 on: December 28, 2010, 06:40:41 AM

I just wanted to pop in and thank you guys for spoilering.  Heart

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #309 on: December 28, 2010, 07:36:24 AM

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: December 29, 2010, 12:10:23 PM

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #311 on: January 03, 2011, 09:19:01 AM

I saw this on Sunday at an IMAX at the critics can go fuck themselves. I thought it was very well done.  My only gripe is the CGI face of CLU, but it was hardly immersion breaking.  The aerial battle with the light trails was fantastic. The music was great.  I liked Sam Flynn.  They made no effort to explain why Tron all of a sudden decided to fight CLU but it was telegraphed to hell and back so I didn't really care.

Am I crazy or did Father Flynn throw a little Lebowski in there every now and then?

I have never played WoW.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: January 03, 2011, 09:35:08 AM

I wonder if I missed stuff that I missed with Star Wars and Star Trek that Red Letter Media highlighted.

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: January 03, 2011, 11:50:59 AM

Am I crazy or did Father Flynn throw a little Lebowski in there every now and then?

Nah, he was very much the hacker hippie type in the first Tron too.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: January 03, 2011, 01:57:28 PM

Just got home from seeing it in 3D.  Really liked it, some really spectacular scenes and a more thoughtful movie than I expected.
I really hope the director's cut expands on life in the Grid. 
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Tron Legacy  
Jump to: